• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces Q4 2016 and Full-Year Revenues - Record Q4, YOY

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Intel today announced their quarterly earnings for Q4 of the 2016 fiscal year. The company set a new record for revenue for this quarter, coming in at $16.4 billion (up 10% from a year ago, which stood at $14.9B). For the year, Intel brought in $59.4 billion, up 7% from their 2015 results. Intel's gross margin fell, though, by 1.7 points down to a still hugely respectable 60.9%, with operating income of $12.9 billion, down 8% from a year ago. Net income was down 10% to $10.3 billion, and earnings per share fell 9% to $2.12. Intel announced a record annual cash flow from operations of $21.8 billion, with solid earnings with GAAP net income of $10.3 billion, and non-GAAP net income of $13.2 billion.

Leaving the corporate numbers talk behind us for a moment, this means that Intel managed to have another astounding year, with solid execution and even more solid margins and revenues. However, take a peek under the hood, and Intel's wins are based on consumer losses: lower volumes in almost all channels were offset by higher average selling prices (ASP), meaning that Intel is (like any company on the top would) keeping its revenue streams up by charging more for its products.

Intel's Client Computing Group, which provides CPUs, SoCs, and wireless and wired connectivity products destined for PCs, had revenue for the year of $32.9 billion, up 2%, but with platform volume being down 10%. The fact that Intel managed to increase revenue with lower volume of shipments is directly charged to the consumer, with an 11% increase in platform selling prices. For the last quarter, the Client Computing Group had revenues of $9.1 billion, up 4% from a year ago, with platform volumes being down 7%, and again, this difference being offset by selling prices up 7%. Desktop platform volume was down 9%, with a lower increase in the ASP at just 2%, while notebook volumes remained flat but with a platform average selling price being up by 3%. What we see here is Intel basically making up the loss in revenue that would be expected with lower channel volume by increasing the ASPs of its platforms - this means the company can try and remain its revenues at the same level, even with lower volume of sales, though this burden then passes towards the consumer, who has to pay more for the same average product. Here's hoping increased competitiveness in the Client and Computing segment will bring more options to consumers, and thus a need for Intel to rethink its revenue targets at the expense of customers.

The Data Center Group also had a strong quarter, and year. For the year, Intel announced revenue of $17.2 billion, up 7% from $16.0 billion a year ago. For the year, Intel saw volumes up 3% and ASP up 4%. For the most recent quarter, the Data Center Group had revenues of $4.7 billion, which was up 3%. Platform volumes were down 3%, with ASP up 6%.

Intel is ever more increasing its investment in the Internet of Things group, which had revenues for the year at $2.6 billion, up 13% from $2.3 a year ago. Revenue for this quarter was up 5% to $726 million. The Non-Volatile Memory Solutions group had revenues for the quarter of $816 million, up 26% from a year ago, and a full-year revenue of $2.58 billion, down slightly from the $2.6 billion a year ago. Programmable Solutions is new for Intel this year, with the purchase of Altera, and this segment had revenue of $420 million for this quarter, and $1.7 billion for the year.

All in all, it would seem that 2016 has been a somewhat strange year for Intel, with the official death of the tick-tock cadence of process shrinks and new architecture development (arguably dead before then, but I digress) and the gutting of Intel's mobile SoC aspirations. Lower overall channel volumes (which can be justified by both a stagnation in innovation and the "good enough" mentality which most customers can now have regarding their systems) were offset by increased selling prices, but these can only do so much. If the market continues its trend, Intel will have to revise its overall growth and revenue targets, since there is only so much that the average consumer is willing to part with in acquiring their technology. However, it has to be said that Intel has done some tremendous strides in increasing the overall areas in which they compete, with a timely and savant acquisition of Altera, and their investments in the Internet of Things segments.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Stock
Memory Team Group Elite 16 GB 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Mouse Logitech G102
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU
So Intel has earned multiple AMDs sized chunk of earning
with same design CPU from SB till KL?

that aside, Intel right now really want that piece of cake in ARM market

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
.....nice. inspire of market conditions.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I'm curious, what is the revenue only for mainstream CPU department?
It would be very interesting to see how many billions they are earning each year by selling almost the same product for the past 6 years.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
I'm curious, what is the revenue only for mainstream CPU department?
It would be very interesting to see how many billions they are earning each year by selling almost the same product for the past 6 years.

.......Gotta admit though:

1. Billions
2. Massive savings on r&d
3. BILLIONS!!!!!!

Every company would love to be in there place. While personally I hate the stagnation..... Intel has simply outpaced the software's demands right now......

Last edited:
System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
Have to remember they keep firing off working and replacing them with machines... helps their revenue A LOT!

they have had a steady flow of layoffs this pass few years.

So Intel has earned multiple AMDs sized chunk of earning
with same design CPU from SB till KL?

Actually, Haswell and Skylake were both new architectures. Also, Sandy Bridge was on 32nm process. Ivy Bridge brought that down to 22nm and Broadwell to 14nm. Not quite "the same design".

System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
Anything made after 2011 by Intel is just a drugged Sandy Bridge with a process shrink, slightly better IGP, features that rarely matter to an average consumer and hardware DRM put on it. They haven't redesigned their x86 crap in years and milking it to the last drop, charging you more for it as years go by. *slow clap*

Their marketing is almost unstoppable at this point.

This is... not okay for us. It makes me slightly sad when people start upgrading from Skylake to Kaby thinking there is a load of performance gain to be had, or just to say you have the latest and greatest.

CPU's seem to have hit a wall now have they not? Plus anything with more than four cores barely matters for gaming, unless you're only gonna play those few games that are optimized. DX11 isn't going anywhere, MS plans to keep the high-level API and slightly tweak it.

I was so used to huge leaps of performance on CPU's before, now it feels like there is a void.

I had this idea that once Intel has enough money they're gonna become some sort of AI pioneer or military aligned company in the future. I don't think it's that too far fetched (especially when they've been known to be shady at times and make stupid decisions for consumers) but I'm probably gonna be dead by the time that happens, 'cause silicon is dragging it's heels and the new innovations are put on the back burner plus not seeing much funding. *tinfoil hat off* Nobody wants to race to make the fastest or best something, money is all that matters.

How predictable. Truly inspires us all.

People are really getting their bang for buck with previous i7 SKUs, and Xeons. At least something good is out there. Remember when almost every Intel CPU was overclockable? I 'member.

I would get an i7 2600K, but the base price for a set of 16GB DDR3 1866MHz is over 100 euros here if you want to get it new (so slightly over 100$ US). And a good motherboard is rare and costs almost as much as a new Z170/270 board. Ever since they changed the currency everything has been ****** up, why fix something that wasn't broken in the first place.

Sorry for the rant. I find it therapeutic to speak my mind sometimes.

Last edited:
System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
In a Parallel universe somewhere, this could be AMD lul :laugh:

Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Anything made after 2011 by Intel is just a drugged Sandy Bridge with a process shrink, slightly better IGP, features that rarely matter to an average consumer and hardware DRM put on it. They haven't redesigned their x86 crap in years and milking it to the last drop, charging you more for it as years go by. *slow clap*

Their marketing is almost unstoppable at this point.

This is... not okay for us. It makes me slightly sad when people start upgrading from Skylake to Kaby thinking there is a load of performance gain to be had, or just to say you have the latest and greatest.

CPU's seem to have hit a wall now have they not? Plus anything with more than four cores barely matters for gaming, unless you're only gonna play those few games that are optimized. DX11 isn't going anywhere, MS plans to keep the high-level API and slightly tweak it.

I was so used to huge leaps of performance on CPU's before, now it feels like there is a void.

I had this idea that once Intel has enough money they're gonna become some sort of AI pioneer or military aligned company in the future. I don't think it's that too far fetched (especially when they've been known to be shady at times and make stupid decisions for consumers) but I'm probably gonna be dead by the time that happens, 'cause silicon is dragging it's heels and the new innovations are put on the back burner plus not seeing much funding. *tinfoil hat off* Nobody wants to race to make the fastest or best something, money is all that matters.

How predictable. Truly inspires us all.

People are really getting their bang for buck with previous i7 SKUs, and Xeons. At least something good is out there. Remember when almost every Intel CPU was overclockable? I 'member.

I would get an i7 2600K, but the base price for a set of 16GB DDR3 1866MHz is over 100 euros here if you want to get it new (so slightly over 100$ US). And a good motherboard is rare and costs almost as much as a new Z170/270 board. Ever since they changed the currency everything has been ****** up, why fix something that wasn't broken in the first place.

Sorry for the rant. I find it therapeutic to speak my mind sometimes.
So much truth in there. Agreed. Unfortunately for the past 6-7 years there haven't been any major innovation on the x86 CPU market. Look at ARM. In a couple of years they will became a true competitor for the x86 market, and if Intel or AMD wakes up soon, it will even surpass them. (I really want to believe that, but I have a lot of doubts...)
Fair enough, Intel stopped innovating since the competition was almost zero, and like any major unscrupulous company, they are in for the money now, not for the progress. Blame IBM, NEC, AMD, TI, STM, Fujitsu, OKI, Siemens, Cyrix, Intersil, C&T, NexGen, UMC and DM&P too, for the lack of competition on this market, actually to surrender the market to the monopoly of Intel.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Fair enough, Intel stopped innovating sinc the competition was almost zero, and like any major unscrupulous company, they are in for the money now, not for the progress. ...
Intel hasnt stopped innovating, they simply shifted their focus to lowering power consumption instead of higher performance since performance is 'good enough' for the vast majority of users for a couple of years now...

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Actually, Haswell and Skylake were both new architectures. Also, Sandy Bridge was on 32nm process. Ivy Bridge brought that down to 22nm and Broadwell to 14nm. Not quite "the same design".

Baloney just like the post above.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Intel hasnt stopped innovating, they simply shifted their focus to lowering power consumption instead of higher performance since performance is 'good enough' for the vast majority of users for a couple of years now...
I call from 4x86 to Pentium innovation. From Pentium to Pentium MMX and Pentium II innovation. From Pentium 4 to Core, that was another innovation.
Going from Core 2600 to 7700 is definitely NOT an innovation but an evolution.
But those are never ending discussions...

I consider myself to be a "computer enthusiast" and I've been a bit disappointed by the lack of advancement in the area of CPUs over the last few years. At one point a few years ago one of AMD'S top people made the announcement that they were going to stop competing to have the best possible/most current CPU process node and that they weren't going to continue to compete for the highest performance CPU. I think that is the point at which Intel really started to relax and take advantage, but honestly, Intel has always had the advantage over AMD in just about every way, regardless. In the rare situations where AMD held a performance advantage in the past, they were not able to take advantage of it and produce enough product, at a fast enough rate, for it to matter.

Besides the lack of competition from other CPU companies, I don't think there are many people out there, other than gamers or professionals, that go out of their way to seek out AND purchase higher end computer components. My own family, to my shame, know that I'm pretty much a computer expert, but still go out of their way to ALWAYS buy the cheapest components and computers available, even when they can afford to at least purchase midrange or higher quality. Then, inevitably, the stuff that they purchase doesn't perform as expected, or it takes forever to accomplish even simple tasks, and THEN they ask me for my opinion or my advice.

I honestly think that many people, to this day, don't understand that the cost of computer equipment is often directly tied to the performance and satisfaction that they are going to get from their equipment. So this, along with financial hardship for a lot of people in recent years, is why Intel can get away with selling a lot of lower end chips that, if people knew better, they would never purchase, separately, or in generic PCs from Wal-Mart, Target, etc. So if people are going to unknowingly buy a ton of these lower end chips and computers from Intel, why should they bother pushing performance at the high end?

Another issue is that virtual reality and artificial intelligence is just now really starting to take off and it's still really in it's infancy. To my knowledge, programmers are still not willing or are not able to really take advantage of multi-core CPUs, or are trained to basically program for single core CPUs or performance. If the majority of the software out there doesn't really take advantage of multiple cores, why should Intel bother pushing out CPUs with more and more cores, year after year? As an enthusiast, that is what I would want them to do, but I haven't seen it at the mid and lower range.

AMD has really pushed additional cores recently, but they haven't been in a position to really "encourage" Intel or others to do anything that they don't absolutely have to do.

I haven't purchased any computer games recently, but there was a time, and it may still be the case, that the newest titles were all going to the consoles first, and IF they came to the PC, they were just watered down console versions of the game, instead of versions that were optimised to take advantage of what a PC can really do. They have free internet access in many libraries. I really wish they would put at least one or two high-end gaming PCs in every library, so that the general public can see what a computer can really do, so that they have an actual basis for comparison and know what they are actually getting, or should be getting for their money. At that point we might start to see some changes in Intel's strategy.

If AMD's Ryzen CPUs are everything that AMD is claiming them to be, AND they are priced competitively, then we might begin to see some positive changes very soon....I hope.

I want to see more advancements and more excitement in the computer field though. It's 2017, but to me, in many ways it feels exactly like it did 10 or 15 years ago; that's not a good thing.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Bullcrap. The only way I can move up is pay the price for skt 2011-3 from my current rig. Otherwise the rest would be a side grade

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Baloney just like the post above.

It's not baloney. They factually are different micro-architectures. Don't make me sick Wikipedia on you.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Another issue is that virtual reality and artificial intelligence is just now really starting to take off and it's still really in it's infancy. To my knowledge, programmers are still not willing or are not able to really take advantage of multi-core CPUs, or are trained to basically program for single core CPUs or performance. If the majority of the software out there doesn't really take advantage of multiple cores, why should Intel bother pushing out CPUs with more and more cores, year after year? As an enthusiast, that is what I would want them to do, but I haven't seen it at the mid and lower range.

AMD has really pushed additional cores recently, but they haven't been in a position to really "encourage" Intel or others to do anything that they don't absolutely have to do.

But things like SMP are fully supported in operating systems since early 2000s , SMT implementations have been developed for decades , Intel and AMD had every reason to start pushing multi core processors. It's not that programmers aren't willing nor trained to write software that makes use of multiple threads , there are more fundamental limitations , not everything can be multi-threaded. However , there is no doubt that sometimes very important software suffered from poor design choices , like DX 12 which despite MS claims it still has at it's heart DX11 wich was already built upon highly dated designs.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I call from 4x86 to Pentium innovation. From Pentium to Pentium MMX and Pentium II innovation. From Pentium 4 to Core, that was another innovation.
Going from Core 2600 to 7700 is definitely NOT an innovation but an evolution.
But those are never ending discussions...

I would argue their multicore improvements are nothing short of innovation. They went from being the same as a c2q that communicated across the FSB to beating AMD in multicore. That is a bit more than an evolution. Single threaded IPC has mildly improved which isn't a surprise (at least to me). I don't think they could squeeze more out of single threading with today's programs. The CPU isn't the limiting factor.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
I would argue their multicore improvements are nothing short of innovation. They went from being the same as a c2q that communicated across the FSB to beating AMD in multicore. That is a bit more than an evolution. Single threaded IPC has mildly improved which isn't a surprise (at least to me). I don't think they could squeeze more out of single threading with today's programs. The CPU isn't the limiting factor.

That was pre SB era which is what he was saying, there has been no innovation from intel since SB/IB just refinements, and lots of users like myself who have a decent clocked i5/i7 from 3-4 years ago have no reason to upgrade, it's pitiful but I think it comes down to AMD not being able to compete and so Intel haven't had to innovate, they can keep refining without spending on R+D to innovate and keep feeding us the same core products with minor tweaks and "enhancements" until they have to up their game. And don't give me the software hasn't caught up with the hardware argument, never has there been a time where we couldn't use more CPU power even when we went from netburst to core2 and then to i5 etc people are more than capable of doing more than one thing at a time with their computers for a long time

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
That was pre SB era which is what he was saying, there has been no innovation from intel since SB/IB just refinements, and lots of users like myself who have a decent clocked i5/i7 from 3-4 years ago have no reason to upgrade, it's pitiful but I think it comes down to AMD not being able to compete and so Intel haven't had to innovate, they can keep refining without spending on R+D to innovate and keep feeding us the same core products with minor tweaks and "enhancements" until they have to up their game. And don't give me the software hasn't caught up with the hardware argument, never has there been a time where we couldn't use more CPU power even when we went from netburst to core2 and then to i5 etc people are more than capable of doing more than one thing at a time with their computers for a long time

Multicore improvements from SB to haswell and later have nearly doubled efficiency.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Multicore improvements from SB to haswell and later have nearly doubled efficiency.

Its really only in the Skt 2011 and 2011-3 rigs anything really pulls ahead.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Its really only in the Skt 2011 and 2011-3 rigs anything really pulls ahead.

Even 115x has shown marked multicore performance improvements over their predecessors.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Even 115x has shown marked multicore performance improvements over their predecessors.

Very minute.

It was the transition from 775 to 1366/ and then 1155 that things changed. Anything after 1155 other than 2011 hasn't been anything special.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Very minute.

It was the transition from 775 to 1366/ and then 1155 that things changed. Anything after 1155 other than 2011 hasn't been anything special.

It took until haswell for intel to even match AMD per core multithreading. That includes HEDT. Remember their IPC improvement over AMD masked a lot of shortfalls.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Perhaps Intel has been secretly working on a totally new architecture to replace "Core". and is waiting for a reason to reveal it (like if Zen captures too much market share)...they have the money to do pure research, and every reason to do so (to stay on top). My thinking is, what have they been doing all this time - surely these little improvements to the existing Core architecture can't be taking up all their people's time - it would be stupid for Intel NOT to have an ace up their sleeve, with all their money and talent...