• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Windows 7 Drivers for AMD Ryzen

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
I can see at least 2: extra cost and simply being happy with the older Windows.

Pretty much anything you buy today can technically work with Windows 7 - both hardware and software.
W7 itself is a pretty good OS - stable, fast, fairly easy on resources. W10 is better, but it's not an upgrade worth few hundred EUR or USD...

This is an issue with Microsoft. They were a software company for most of the time and got seriously interested in hardware just few years ago. As a result we have to pay for their OS - something that should be a cheap addition to their other products.
And because we have to pay a lot for the OS, Microsoft has to convince us there is something to pay for, so they change the interface all the time... and that's why people prefer not to upgrade.
This whole strategy is deeply wrong. Apple solved this way better and that's why they're stealing customers.

On average you're right. Most people buy complete systems (usually laptops) that come with an OS. They can't do much with their PCs, so learning the new OS doesn't take them long.
But if you're building a PC yourself and you're a "poweruser", paying for a totally different OS and changing your whole workflow is just a huge inconvenience.

Imagine keyboard manufacturers rearranging the keys every few years. :)

Those still paying $100s + for an OS are just stupid. Multiple resources available in which to get cheap Win 10 keys. I don't think ive paid over $40 for an OS in the last 3-4 years.

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I just watched a video of someone trying to install Win8.1 on a Kaby Lake chip, and it was an unstable mess. Yes, he got it working, but it would blue-screen and lock up.

The fact is, it takes time and resources to support these older OSes. And it seems both AMD and Intel have decided that the return on investment isn't there. Only a small fraction of users would even consider using anything older than Win10 with a brand new computer.(Note: I consider a new motherboard and processor essentially a new computer.)

The few business that are still running old programs that they can't get working on Win10, sorry, time to figure it out. You either update the program, or figure out how to use virtual machines.

I can see at least 2: extra cost and simply being happy with the older Windows.

Pretty much anything you buy today can technically work with Windows 7 - both hardware and software.
W7 itself is a pretty good OS - stable, fast, fairly easy on resources. W10 is better, but it's not an upgrade worth few hundred EUR or USD...

This is an issue with Microsoft. They were a software company for most of the time and got seriously interested in hardware just few years ago. As a result we have to pay for their OS - something that should be a cheap addition to their other products.
And because we have to pay a lot for the OS, Microsoft has to convince us there is something to pay for, so they change the interface all the time... and that's why people prefer not to upgrade.
This whole strategy is deeply wrong. Apple solved this way better and that's why they're stealing customers.

On average you're right. Most people buy complete systems (usually laptops) that come with an OS. They can't do much with their PCs, so learning the new OS doesn't take them long.
But if you're building a PC yourself and you're a "poweruser", paying for a totally different OS and changing your whole workflow is just a huge inconvenience.

Imagine keyboard manufacturers rearranging the keys every few years. :)

You have to remember, people who actually build their own computers are still a very small market. Like, so small the numbers don't even pop up on the radar compared to pre-built systems. And the cost of the OS on a pre-built system is tiny. It definitely isn't the $100 that it costs to buy the OEM OS by itself. Dell and Lenovo have both, at times, offers computers with No OS or Linux installed. The cost reduction was no where near the full retail cost of an OEM OS. I don't even think it was half the cost of an OEM OS. These big manufacturers are paying Microsof next to nothing for OS licenses(and in some case are paying nothing).

Then, if you look at those that do build their own systems. They buy an OEM license. Well, when you upgrade your motherboard, you can't legally re-use the license anyway. So you're buying a new OS as it is. Or at least you legally should be. But we know people that build their own computers kind of wiggle around the rules. So, they also know that you can still enter a Windows 7 key into the Windows 10 installer, and get your free upgrade to Windows 10. So there is no cost involved to move to Windows 10.

Last edited:
I just watched a video of someone trying to install Win8.1 on a Skylake chip, and it was an unstable mess. Yes, he got it working, but it would blue-screen and lock up.

Skylake should be fully supported on Win 8.1, therefore we can't really prove anything with it. Bluescreens and lockups could be due to hardware incompatibilites or overclocks (or maybe just bad IGP drivers). The only relevant test we can currently use to show older Windows might not work good with Ryzen, would be using Kaby Lake without IGP on Windows older than 10.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Skylake should be fully supported on Win 8.1, therefore we can't really prove anything with it. Bluescreens and lockups could be due to hardware incompatibilites or overclocks (or maybe just bad IGP drivers). The only relevant test we can currently use to show older Windows might not work good with Ryzen, would be using Kaby Lake without IGP on Windows older than 10.

Sorry, I meant Kaby Lake.

Sorry, I meant Kaby Lake.

Ah, you probably watched the test ran by JayzTwoCents? From a scientific point of view, that test was made really poorly. He has introduced a unknown variable (overclock) which could be the cause of all the problems he encountered.

I don't believe this move can be equated to Intel's lack of support with Kaby Lake chips. Ryzen requires a new motherboard, which could also entail new RAM. It's a significant upgrade. But for people who invested in an i3 Skylake and are looking for a drop-in replacement with an i7 Kaby, the lack of windows 7 support doesn't make sense when the Windows license is tied to the motherboard and not the processor.

I would have been fine with Intel saying LGA 1151 would only support Windows 10 back in August 2015. It would have been a tight window between Windows 10 being launched and their own hardware coming to market, but at that point consumers were investing in a new platform rather than just a processor upgrade. And while I'm not against the 200 series chipset requiring Windows 10 either, the idea that someone with a 100 series chipset could preform a bios update, upgrade their processor, and all of a sudden their operating system is no longer supported doesn't seem right. There should be some grandfathering rules taking place when the rules are changed mid-cycle like this.

AMD is on the verge of releasing an entirely new platform, and it makes sense to use it in order to push the market forward, even if it is an anti-consumer practice. They decide where their resources are spent. Intel on the other hand probably needed to use resources in order to gimp their platform half way through its cycle in order to comply with Microsoft's request.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I don't believe this move can be equated to Intel's lack of support with Kaby Lake chips. Ryzen requires a new motherboard, which could also entail new RAM. It's a significant upgrade. But for people who invested in an i3 Skylake and are looking for a drop-in replacement with an i7 Kaby, the lack of windows 7 support doesn't make sense when the Windows license is tied to the motherboard and not the processor.

I would have been fine with Intel saying LGA 1151 would only support Windows 10 back in August 2015. It would have been a tight window between Windows 10 being launched and their own hardware coming to market, but at that point consumers were investing in a new platform rather than just a processor upgrade. And while I'm not against the 200 series chipset requiring Windows 10 either, the idea that someone with a 100 series chipset could preform a bios update, upgrade their processor, and all of a sudden their operating system is no longer supported doesn't seem right. There should be some grandfathering rules taking place when the rules are changed mid-cycle like this.

AMD is on the verge of releasing an entirely new platform, and it makes sense to use it in order to push the market forward, even if it is an anti-consumer practice. They decide where their resources are spent. Intel on the other hand probably needed to use resources in order to gimp their platform half way through its cycle in order to comply with Microsoft's request.

I feel AMD wants a clean slate to code on because during Bulldozer they released a few patches on 7 which seemed to not do a whole lot on the core parking, access.

Eitherway I might jump to 10 and theme it for 7s looks.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
Disappointing, but not surprising.

This does make me wonder, how long did Intel and AMD continue support of Windows XP after the launch of Windows Vista, and after the launch of Windows 7 how long did they continue support of Vista.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Disappointing, but not surprising.

This does make me wonder, how long did Intel and AMD continue support of Windows XP after the launch of Windows Vista, and after the launch of Windows 7 how long did they continue support of Vista.

You can google those questions to get your answer.

I do find it interesting people will blame Microsoft for not updating windows 7 with windows 10 features, but be quick to call windows 10 a useless OS iteration.

I wonder if Microsoft applied a little pressure here...

I bet they didn't need to. AMD is currently a wee company and drivers take a lot of manpower to get right. Maybe down the road they will reconsider if the Ryzen sales warrant it.

Linux works on both old and new hardware, and that's what I use as my main OS.
Windows is gaming only so, even if I disagree with the obvious "push W10" Microsoft tactics, I say screw you, you're only a partition on a disk to which I boot two or three times a week.

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
You can google those questions to get your answer.

I probably will later, it would be interesting to see if this move is common or uncommon.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
After the hype, reality starts catching up. I hope this isn't a trend.

After the hype, reality starts catching up. I hope this isn't a trend.
If this, and the price leaks, and all the leaks, end up in a disappointment even close to FX times, someone will have a last laugh and it won't be me.

I don't believe we can really blame Intel or AMD on this because its just time to move on. Windows 7 is old and even though we have all enjoyed it we need to move on to the newer OS's with new equipment. Its much more expensive and difficult to keep an ageing OS in the loop on new hardware and debug problems. Many business still use Windows 7, but even then its getting to the point they to need to move on since we have had now 2 OS revisions since then.

Enterprise-wise the hardware compatibility argument is pretty weak. Typically you want a computer to work with an LCD, a keyboard, a mouse and a network. Inside you also need nothing beside the core elements (mobo, cpu, ram and storage).

So sure - maybe W10 offers huge improvements when working with high-end SSD, multiple GPUs and so on, but this has no implication on most professionals.

For most companies there is only 1 serious reason for updating their W7 to W10: you can't buy many new PCs with an old Windows and you don't want to have different OS versions. So you stop the typical PC replacement process, wait for a good moment and make a massive upgrade company-wide. It's much cheaper to replace many PCs at once than to upgrade older computers. :)

I find the arguments "is old" and "it's time to move on" as very weak. If something works well, it shouldn't be changed. Furthermore, even if there are better alternatives, but the cost of change is too big, the change should also not be forced.

W7 is an excellent OS for office use - very clean and easy to use. And people got used to it.
It could serve in companies for another decade. I'm almost sure we'll be able to install it on PCs from 2025 - just like XP works perfectly well on what we have today.

W10 is better in many ways... most of which are totally irrelevant when you simply want to open Excel, analyze some data or write some code.
Multiple desktops are a fantastic productivity tool known to Linux users for years, but I don't see accountants or salespeople use it. Honestly, last week I've shown a 50-year-old manager how to use alt+tab - someone who has used Windows for last 20+ years. He is an expert in his field and W10 will not improve his work in any way. I'm pretty sure, however, that for the first few weeks after the update he'll loose countless hours trying to do basic things, because the buttons moved or disappeared. :)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I find the arguments "is old" and "it's time to move on" as very weak. If something works well, it shouldn't be changed. Furthermore, even if there are better alternatives, but the cost of change is too big, the change should also not be forced.

W7 is an excellent OS for office use - very clean and easy to use. And people got used to it.
It could serve in companies for another decade. I'm almost sure we'll be able to install it on PCs from 2025 - just like XP works perfectly well on what we have today.

W10 is better in many ways... most of which are totally irrelevant when you simply want to open Excel, analyze some data or write some code.
Multiple desktops are a fantastic productivity tool known to Linux users for years, but I don't see accountants or salespeople use it. Honestly, last week I've shown a 50-year-old manager how to use alt+tab - someone who has used Windows for last 20+ years. He is an expert in his field and W10 will not improve his work in any way. I'm pretty sure, however, that for the first few weeks after the update he'll loose countless hours trying to do basic things, because the buttons moved or disappeared. :)

I don't agree with this at all. Setting up and supporting office computers for a living, I can tell you Win7 is not good for the business environment. Keeping it secure is becoming an issue, even for Microsoft which has acknowledged several security flaws that it says it simply won't fix. XP was the same way by the time it was EOLed. Every security patch that is released seems to just open up another security vulnerability.

If anything, the business environment is the worst place to keep using an old OS and the home environment is the "acceptable" place.

Also, to address the cost issue. We are talking about buying new hardware here. Which also means buying a new OS. There is no extra cost involved with going with Windows 10 over 7 at this point.

You can make the argument "what about if they are just upgrading the processor from Skylake to Kaby Lake". Ok, and I would ask you what business do you know is upgrading just the processor in a computer? Most buy the computer and leave it, never upgrading the processor. The computers might be lucky to see a RAM upgrade and maybe a storage upgrade. But in all my years of supporting business computers, I've never been asked to upgrade the processor on a computer.

Finally, the argument that Win 10 causes lost productivity because everything is moved. That is fixed in 30 seconds by installing ClassicShell, or Start8, or ClassicStart. At that point, the person who doesn't even know how to use Alt+Tab will have everything they need, right were it was in Windows 7. If my 62 year old grandma, who is not computer literate at all beyond Word/Excel and the Internet, can use Windows 10, with no help from me, the person that doesn't know how to use Alt+Tab can too.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
That is a very narrow-minded viewpoint my friend. I'm just telling it how it is with enterprise environments. Plus, from a business standpoint, AMD just alienated an entire sector of their customer base. If support hasn't officially ended, it isn't "dead".

How many existing machines do you have on AM4, out of curiousity?

New machine? New OS. LTSB is even supported for 10 years.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I don't agree with this at all. Setting up and supporting office computers for a living, I can tell you Win7 is not good for the business environment. Keeping it secure is becoming an issue, even for Microsoft which has acknowledged several security flaws that it says it simply won't fix. XP was the same way by the time it was EOLed. Every security patch that is released seems to just open up another security vulnerability.

If anything, the business environment is the worst place to keep using an old OS and the home environment is the "acceptable" place.

Also, to address the cost issue. We are talking about buying new hardware here. Which also means buying a new OS. There is no extra cost involved with going with Windows 10 over 7 at this point.

You can make the argument "what about if they are just upgrading the processor from Skylake to Kaby Lake". Ok, and I would ask you what business do you know is upgrading just the processor in a computer? Most buy the computer and leave it, never upgrading the processor. The computers might be lucky to see a RAM upgrade and maybe a storage upgrade. But in all my years of supporting business computers, I've never been asked to upgrade the processor on a computer.

Finally, the argument that Win 10 causes lost productivity because everything is moved. That is fixed in 30 seconds by installing ClassicShell, or Start8, or ClassicStart. At that point, the person who doesn't even know how to use Alt+Tab will have everything they need, right were it was in Windows 7. If my 62 year old grandma, who is not computer literate at all beyond Word/Excel and the Internet, can use Windows 10, with no help from me, the person that doesn't know how to use Alt+Tab can too.

The problem with your EOL argument, is that the only reason Win7 is that insecure, is that M$ doesn't make any more money supporting an older OS, so they chose not to. Arguing that keeping it secure was becoming an issue, is like saying that you had to stop using that water because it was getting you wet. Guess what. You still need the water, and the next selection of water will get you wet eventually too. There is absolutely NO way you could possibly convince me that the small amount that Win10 is more secure, couldn't be built into a Windows 7 as well. And, I guarantee that one of the prime reasons they will move people to a different creature, is because it was too hard to make this one secure.

Their only hope as a business was to find a way to build in obsolescence in the OSs. And so they did.

I don't know why people get all up in arms, simply because people get cranky being forced to purchase a new OS every few years. The fact is, M$ is not in the business for the purpose of making peoples' lives easier, or better. They are in it to make money, and they will do everything they can legally, and quasi-legally, to do so. And as past lawsuits have shown, even illegally. Getting all righteous because people don't like being forced to change from something that, for a great deal of people, works just fine, is really kind of a dick move.

People don't like change. People really don't like forced change. Stack on top of that, the only reason they have to change, is because Company X isn't making enough money, and people get a little pissed off.

How many existing machines do you have on AM4, out of curiousity?

New machine? New OS. LTSB is even supported for 10 years.

Perhaps I should clarify: I work in a public school. We don't have the luxury of getting new systems frequently. So to answer your question, if I understand it correctly, I have 0 machines that use this socket. That's not my point. My point is this is a concerning possible trend of vendors forcing businesses and schools to upgrade quicker than anticipated. As I stated before, I'm not a stubborn old schooler: we are slowly moving toward Windows 10. But if this catches on, I might be in trouble. You are correct in the way of most new systems should have w10. Just know it is hard to change what people are used to using so rapidly. This is a polarizing issue. I assume we are at an impasse of opinion.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
This makes no sense what so ever, they get best performance from W7 and W10 and W7 is 5 times more used them W10 and yet they dont want to supply drivers for Ryzen? ummm thats basically getting the biggest gun you can find and shooting yourself in the foot. W7 is far from dead, so much proof of that it isnt even funny. I believe it when I see it.

OldSchool Tech

IMHO this is a big mistake. The only reason to move to a new operating system is if it is proven to be better than the old one. Windows 7 had no problem taking the reigns from XP but the same cannot be said about windows 10. Why? The security problem in windows 7? When did we ever just rely on MS to provide that? Surfing around the internet without malwarebytes for one is suicide. The best techs know where to find the best security and thats how windows 7 can still be very secured. Full-Control computing is another reason. With windows 7 I am given all the options which cannot say with windows 10! How can that be any improvement? Monitoring you say? With windows 7 and the help of gadgets I can be aware temps, cpu and gpu temps and throttle, fan rpm on both, ram consumption, vram consumption and this is a necessity for enthusiasts. This is real-time monitoring which is displayed everytime i return to desktop. Does windows 10 have that? I'm sorry but the argument just to move on is weak and baseless and windows 7 is still the true enthusiast platform.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I assume we are at an impasse of opinion.

No, not entirely.

I see your point, and your complaint, and it's reasonable. Of course, AMD may beg to differ, and I'm sure they've done a cost-anaylsis that says you aren't "worth it" to support, and maybe they are even correct from an economic point of view. Doesn't make it any less irritating I imagine... heh. My sympathies (I mean this seriously).

This makes no sense what so ever, they get best performance from W7 and W10 and W7 is 5 times more used them W10 and yet they dont want to supply drivers for Ryzen? ummm thats basically getting the biggest gun you can find and shooting yourself in the foot. W7 is far from dead, so much proof of that it isnt even funny. I believe it when I see it.

In new pc builds it essentially is. I don't think you can even buy it outside of second-hand channels now.

Also, it's been known for a long time that 10 outperforms 7 overall, if only slightly.

Last edited: