• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

*poll* Nvidia Voltage Limit! Stop Killing me!

Should Nvidia should sell 'Enhanced Tuning Plans' as insurance for over-clockers, as Intel has begun

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
I'll simplify it for you. Overclocking voids warranty. People abusing warranty costs both Nvidia and every other patron money. Want to blame somebody? Blame the RMA fraudsters. That's why the locks have been tightened down.
When people learn to take responsibility for their own actions maybe that will change, but I doubt it. Decades of damage has already been done.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I just don't see the point in this. I mean to say, take anything you can buy as examples. I buy a car and get a 5 year warranty, I have a choice. Drive what they gave me for that time, or add parts/tune the computer and void the warranty. As said a few times before, do not MOD something you cannot afford to lose, it is as simple as that. Let's be blunt for a second. If your card maker saw what you have already done to that gpu, they would tell you to pound sand if you tried to RMA it at this point in its life.

There is a reason xfx stopped offering a no questions asked unlimited warranty, they lost their asses! Asking a manufacturer to take the hit because "you wanted more" is childish and selfish to me. Save some of this money you are throwing around at attempting to move to ln2 cooling and you could have had a backup card or two, and not cared when they caught fire/lost their magic smoke. Not trying to belittle you in any way, just trying to help you with reality.

Things are built with safety in mind, otherwise I could buy a NASCAR off the showroom floor.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
No offence but your "idea" isn't realistic, that's why everyone gets annoyed when you only defend your own thoughts instead of listening to others.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
Well, to be fair that might have been too strong a word for it. Frustrated fits better :oops:

But can you honestly say to yourself that you listened to, acknowledged or understood anyone else's opinion here?

Last edited:
System Name Vellinious
Processor i7 6950X
Motherboard ASUS X99-A II
Cooling Custom Liquid
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ 3200 14
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Storage 512 GB Samsung 950 Pro, 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black
Case Thermaltake Core X9, stacked
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000P2, EVGA SuperNova 750G2
Mouse Razer Naga Molten Edition
Keyboard TT eSports Challenger Ultimate
Benchmark Scores Timespy-1080 SLI-15972
I'll simplify it for you. Overclocking voids warranty. People abusing warranty costs both Nvidia and every other patron money. Want to blame somebody? Blame the RMA fraudsters. That's why the locks have been tightened down.
When people learn to take responsibility for their own actions maybe that will change, but I doubt it. Decades of damage has already been done.

Uh, no. Overclocking does not void warranty. I don't know of any board partner in fact, that doesn't encourage it.

No. Just no. For all the reasons previously mentioned.

System Name Vellinious
Processor i7 6950X
Cooling Custom Liquid
Storage 512 GB Samsung 950 Pro, 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black
Personally, I don't see them doing any of the sort. Far, far too many stupid people out there with visions of grandeur that don't have the necessary cooling to add voltage and make it worth it.

System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz
Nvidia steadily locking down cards more and more is the reason I stopped buying them. It used to be that you could hard mod Nvidia cards for everything you needed. But with the 10 series you keep running into various stupid safeties. Did you short out the shunts too much? Card stuck at 139MHz. Replace the VRM with E-power? Card stuck at 139MHz. Raise Vcore above ~1.35V using a hard mod? Card black screens. Though this doesn't seem to be intentional since Galax had to implement a special work around for this on HOF cards it's more like an inherent issue with Pascal cards. Hard mod thermal sensing into non existence? card stuck at 139MHz. On the 900 series all of these mods still worked and they aren't mods that you can get past RMA since they all leave plenty of physical evidence. With the 10 series Nvidia went and spent time and money making OCing their cards even harder.

Nvidia's policy on overclocking is the reason that EVGA stopped making the EVbot.

I don't want an OC warranty I would just like if Nvidia would stop getting in the way when trying to overclock their cards.

System Name Master
Uh, no. Overclocking does not void warranty. I don't know of any board partner in fact, that doesn't encourage it.
Running the product outside of manufactures specs voids your warranty. Read your EULA.
You and I both know though, it's almost impossible to tell.
Processor manufacturers don't really 'encourage' overclocking their products. Motherboard manufacturers do though. That's because you pay more for a full featured overclocking board........and they don't care if you cook your chip because they don't have to pay for it.....you do.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
wow

never realised I'd "annoyed" anyone

I thought were were having a debate/discussion that everyone was enjoying

guess its good bye then

how embarrassing, I'm lost for words.

To be fair, you opened a thread, used a poll and asked for opinions. The vast majority of which were: No, GPU manufacturers have no reason to offer a 'warranty' against cards being destroyed by people trying to overclock the fuck out of them. Also, as mentioned by myself earlier, your poll is asinine in that there was no way to vote against your original train of thought which was - I should be allowed option 'A', if you disagree, you're an idiot (care bear land I believe) - I see you've added a further option but that still does not offer a positive way of saying 'no'. You tend to start threads and argue the shit out of anyone who disagrees in a very weird, autistic manner where you're not rude but you're damn well close to ignorant.

You say you thought we were having a debate but no, you were not listening to what the majority of people were saying. This is the part that you seem to miss. Almost every thread you start it's solely created to ingratiate your own concept to yourself and when people disagree you don't accept it (all in the most polite way). If you want to 'discuss' things, that involves listening to what people say, not dismissing them.

You shouldn't feel you should leave, you're not a troll or a dick but at least understand, almost everyone here is experienced in hardware, software or modding. It pays dividends to absorb their knowledge, not reflect it. Modify your thought processes and when you start a thread, expect people to disagree, for very valid reasons. If almost everyone disagrees with you - there's a very good chance YOU ARE WRONG. And you deal with it and move on. It's not personal - it never is.

Chin up, accept Nvidia don't want you screwing with their hardware and keep on following the extreme cooling path. You will at some point destroy something - that is the badge of honour. Post pics when you do fry something and we'll all chuckle along with you.

System Name Vellinious
Processor i7 6950X
Cooling Custom Liquid
Running the product outside of manufactures specs voids your warranty. Read your EULA.
You and I both know though, it's almost impossible to tell.
Processor manufacturers don't really 'encourage' overclocking their products. Motherboard manufacturers do though. That's because you pay more for a full featured overclocking board........and they don't care if you cook your chip because they don't have to pay for it.....you do.

I wasn't talking about CPUs. I was talking about GPUs. EVGA, ASUS, Gigacrap, etc .....all make GPUs that are specifically designed for overclocking.

System Name Master
To be fair, I'm totally pro overclocking. I understand that overclocking can break things, and I don't expect anybody but myself to pay for the things I break, or make it easier for me to break them.

System Name Master
I wasn't talking about CPUs. I was talking about GPUs. EVGA, ASUS, Gigacrap, etc .....all make GPUs that are specifically designed for overclocking.
Within a specified limit. The TDP of the card probably. Exceed the TDP spec, and we're back to post #51.

System Name Master
System Name Vellinious
Processor i7 6950X
Cooling Custom Liquid
Within a specified limit. The TDP of the card probably. Exceed the TDP spec, and we're back to post #51.

So a predetermined spec, set by the manufacturer to limit overclocking and it's enthusiasts.......no thanks.

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
I spend a lot of time on another website.. overclockers.net....
This website is similar.

So to not be able to overclock on an "overclocking website" would be ridiculous.. so the comment (care bear) was meant to be comical (not taken seriously)

I have a bad habit of writing posts then editing them 10 times until I get them how I want them.. for some reason I never seem to click the 'preview button'.

By the time I'd submitted the first "draft" if you like.. people had already voted/viewed so I was stuck unable to finish editing it properly (the poll)

Then I found myself "in the mix of it all" neglecting to finish fixing the poll.

I suppose I never expected anyone here would actually be against overclocking..

I kind of seen the poll as a comical introduction to the topic (to be discussed) rather than a set of serious choices (had no idea anyone would take the questions in the poll seriously)

When you put it like that, I've never been so embarrassed in years. Feel like a right idiot now. Don't know what to say really.

I know there's a growing frustration amongst the pascal and 1080 community about the lack of tweakability with pascal due to the lockdowns.. so I seen this topic as a way to discuss it and debate the politics of it all and have a laugh at the same time.

I assumed (wrongly) the general consensus would be that everyone probably shared my views around the lockdown of the BIOS. It was your opinions on Warranty that was causing the issues for most of us!

anyway,t hen when dorsetknob started with the caps I realised something wasn't right

then BOOM, red face.

I'll leave it at that, before I make anymore of a fool of myself.
Get a grip man, damn! No need to make a scene and guilt trip everyone for calling you on your bs. Accept and move on, we don't hold grudges.

Also I think nearly everyone here is pro overclocking/modding, just at your own risk if taking beyond a mild overclock. If i was a board partner I wouldn't dream of offering warranty on a card that was going to go under LN2! That's mental!! At the very best they could do a scheme where you get a replacement card at cost + labor, shipping etc if you destroy it. That would be realistic for our small minority of mental hardware enthusists. (We have virtually no influence on nvidia, they don't care about us, at all!)

Last edited:
System Name Master
So a predetermined spec, set by the manufacturer to limit overclocking and it's enthusiasts.......no thanks.
All the major manufacturers are already doing it. They have been for years. You can bypass them, but it's so evident that you'll never claim a warranty on them ever.

System Name Vellinious
Processor i7 6950X
Cooling Custom Liquid
Up until this generation is was quite easy to bypass them. It didn't even take a hardware mod. Now? Well....things are different.

Maybe AMD will be less restrictive with their new GPUs. Hopefully they come out with something worth buying. Because as long as NVIDIA keeps tightening the clamps on the enthusiasts, I won't be buying their products.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Now? Well....things are different.
and the predicted Future

"Dear customer
i refer to your request for a RMA
We find no trace of your Geforce experience logs which would help us determine the Validity of your RMA Request
therefore your requested RMA has been Declined"

You think i'm on a wind up wait and see

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
and the predicted Future

"Dear customer
i refer to your request for a RMA
..................................................................................................................................................
therefore your requested RMA has been Declined"

You think i'm on a wind up wait and see
Don't give them ideas!! D: And yeah I can definitely see that happening.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
@Nicholas Peyton many thanks for destroying the thread with all of the deletions of your posts! It is this such behavior that has put TPU on edit lockdown! This type of activity is not the type of thing we appreciate, and in the future we ask you no longer do this as the rest of the members have to pay for your actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.