• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial On Intel and Their $7B White House Affair

I was speaking to the polarizing politics gripping our nation right now and how a lot of us (myself included) fall victim to it. It is NOT a reference to the thread as a whole, or the thread at all actaully beyond my part in it. I'm well aware of the international representation here. I don't need a reminder. That doesn't change the facf we should try to do better: politics are not a blank check for poor behavior.

USA has always been like this. Now with new media it gets amplified. TV News, Newspapers, E-media and social media spit out their partisan view on politics and more of the population are watching "Entertainment partisan News" then ever.

Yes, we could always do better and politics shouldn't be a excuse for bad behavior nor anything else for that matter ---> Blue vs Red (CPU) and Green vs Red (GPU) debates come to mind and those have a tendency to escalate just as much here even if they are entertaining at times.

I was about to agree until I did some searching and came across this...
President Obama Visits Intel: CEO Paul Otellini Announces New U.S. Investment and Jobs

This actually isn't the first time POTUS and Intel had a little pow-wow yet, I don't think TPU covered that. So this is something TPU is going to start covering in the future or was it just an excuse to get political? If the former, that's grand (just keep the editorial stuff out); if the latter, please don't. And to be fair, similar events likely unfold when Intel/AMD/TSMC/Samsung open fabs in other countries. I would like to hear about those too. Fabs are the cornerstones of technology and, to be honest, we don't hear enough about them.

It was a well covered event in the media.

Intel said:
Artist’s rendering of the $5 billion new chip manufacturing facility and support buildings to be built at Intel’s site in Chandler, Ariz. The new factory, designated Fab 42, will be the most advanced, high-volume semiconductor manufacturing facility in the world. Construction is underway and is expected to be completed in 2013.

AZCentral said:
Intel has confirmed it is leaving vacant a massive new multibillion-dollar computer-chip factory in Chandler that President Barack Obama once touted as a symbol of the future of U.S. manufacturing.
No employees are working in the facility, known as Fab 42, which was completed late last year and was to bring 1,000 jobs and a $5.2 billion company investment.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
USA has always been like this.

As a native of Washington state, it seems far worse as of late in at least my neck of the woods.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Liberal state. How do you think the conservative states have been doing the past 8 years? Protesting isn't big in conservative states but they do tend to speak with their money. They bought a lot of guns, ammo, and trucks (Peterbilt literally sells trucks without engines and they'll install an engine you bring to them that is pre-emissions compliance)--all of the variety Obama administration were talking about or successfully banned. I think there would have been a lot more symptoms of conservative upheaval had the House not turned Republican in 2010 and state legislatures being mostly in Republican control (some 30+ states repeatedly sued the administration over Obamacare).

The liberal brain is more prone to conflict (conservative would rather avoid it) so I don't think the reaction to the landslide election is particularly surprising. It'll die down over time.

Remember, USA went to war over liberal (North)/conservative (South) ideals during the Civil War. This feud has existed since George Washington said two terms was enough. It's based in human psychology and sociology. These same conflicts exist in all governments to varying degrees. It is the most pronounced in the USA because the nation is massive, populated, and diverse. Trying to unify the political ambitions of wilderness Alaskans with a life-long New Yorker, there's going to be a lot of conflicts.

Last edited:
As a native of Washington state, it seems far worse as of late in at least my neck of the woods.

Its a Democratic state and the country has trended Republican with President, Congress and House lately.

Remember when Obama took office, Congress and House were Democratic but it didn't seem worse for Democratic states did it?

I live in a Democratic State (California) as well but I don't see it worse i just see it as it didn't go the states way and news, entertainment and such reflect that as it does when it goes the states way. I wouldn't put my own state sentiment and apply it to the nation either.

Last edited:
Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Liberal state. How do you think the conservative states have been doing the past 8 years? Protesting isn't big in conservative states but they do tend to speak with their money. They bought a lot of guns, ammo, and trucks (Peterbilt literally sells trucks without engines and they'll install an engine you bring to them that is pre-emissions compliance)--all of the variety Obama administration were talking about or successfully banned. I think there would have been a lot more symptoms of conservative upheaval had the House not turned Republican in 2010 and state legislatures being mostly in Republican control (some 30+ states repeatedly sued the administration over Obamacare).

The liberal brain is more prone to conflict (conservative would rather avoid it) so I don't think the reaction to the landslide election is particularly surprising. It'll die down over time.

Remember, USA went to war over liberal (North)/conservative (South) ideals during the Civil War. This feud has existed since George Washington said two terms was enough. It's based in human psychology and sociology. These same conflicts exist in all governments to varying degrees. It is the most pronounced in the USA because the nation is massive, populated, and diverse. Trying to unify the political ambitions of wilderness Alaskans with a life-long New Yorker, there's going to be a lot of conflicts.

This is all true, except I'd disagree that the North was liberal and South conservative. Everything else is basically spot on. Hard to call the party of Lincoln liberal then or now really, unless you redefine the terms to mean differently from today vs. then.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd

It has, just look at protests and things like Berkeley and other crazy protests and violence, and as Gt90 said liberals are the one doing all the protesting and pretty much always have they are community organizers by nature it seems. That is why it's ironic to us conservatives that "free speech" is so heralded by liberals when it applies to what they say, but you apply it to a conservative, gay Jewish guy named Milo Yiannopoulis who simply wants to do a speech at a liberal campus in California (Berkeley) and the liberal protesters literally shut him down and proceeded to set the campus on fire...huh? Yeah, in 3 weeks of Trump you have more protesting/rioting/chaos by the left than we had in 8 years caused by conservatives under Obama. True for much of the time Republicans were winning at lower levels but for several years Obama had both congresses and many state governments as well as many liberal judges on the court to back up whatever he did...still during those 2-3 years of him and his side marching his agenda with little challenge by the relatively few Republicans in power you didn't hear much about any protests by conservatives, and it's not like the media wasn't looking for any example of violence/riot/protests my side might have done because they wanted to hold them up as examples of racists, bigots, and violent ones at that. However despite their bias to WANT to find conservative unrest etc there was very little of it, as I think GT90 correctly points out it's just not how conservatives operate generally they find other more productive and less destructive ways to fight for their values and agenda etc.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
This is all true, except I'd disagree that the North was liberal and South conservative. Everything else is basically spot on. Hard to call the party of Lincoln liberal then or now really, unless you redefine the terms to mean differently from today vs. then.
Actually, it is. The first modern (conservative) Republican was Calvin Coolidge. Lincoln fought for liberal ideals (equality for black men) where the south just wanted the status quo to remain (very conservative position). When push come to shove, the south didn't protest, they grabbed their guns and claimed what was theirs (a very modern Republican reaction).

Another example (also prior to Calvin Coolidge) is Theodore Roosevelt (a then-Republican) and the National Park system. It's Republicans today that to, for example, convert a lot of federal land (now a national park) in Alaska to private use. It's the Democrats that resist that notion.

The parties have reversed. That's why I think it's pretty disingenuous for Republicans to champion that they are the party Lincoln. Lincoln would be a moderate Democrat today. Hell, Lyndon B Johnson (Democrat) practically mirrors Lincoln in that regard. And let's not forget that Lincoln ordered Americans to kill former Americans. He shouldn't be trumpeted as a hero. He failed at diplomacy and his administration marked the end of states' rights (another anti-modern Republican thing) which is a travesty we're paying for today. For example, the federal government shouldn't have the power to force something like Obamacare on the states. The only reason why it is still around is because the Supreme Court has stretched the "commerce clause" beyond the breaking point.

Edit: Coolridge's election result (backwards, innit?):

Last edited:
Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Err....I see what you're saying dude but I think you still got your historical perspective a bit "off", even liberal democrats don't claim Lincoln as "theirs" all they say is the whole party switching over time thing you mention. But I also disagree that the modern liberal Democrats are FOR freeing the blacks not from slavery but inequality etc, that's fucking bull. That is what is said in public and what they have played off as, but in truth, true conservatives are for blacks and for everyone to succeed. So yeah, I like a lot of what you've said before, but I disagree with much of what you're saying, fancy charts and all. Also very few people of any stature I've ever seen would put down Lincoln in any way or claim he isn't a hero regardless of whatever flaws he had.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Also many of states Coolidge lost/won have flipped in many elections for Dems or Repubs in every election including this last one so yeah, north vs. south is mostly flipped but many many exceptions so if anything all that map proves is we were much more polarized exclusively in that election then now and inbetween I'd argue.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Err....I see what you're saying dude but I think you still got your historical perspective a bit "off", even liberal democrats don't claim Lincoln as "theirs" all they say is the whole party switching over time thing you mention. But I also disagree that the modern liberal Democrats are FOR freeing the blacks not from slavery but inequality etc, that's fucking bull. That is what is said in public and what they have played off as, but in truth, true conservatives are for blacks and for everyone to succeed. So yeah, I like a lot of what you've said before, but I disagree with much of what you're saying, fancy charts and all. Also very few people of any stature I've ever seen would put down Lincoln in any way or claim he isn't a hero regardless of whatever flaws he had.
Don't believe me? Believe Doris Kearns Goodwin. She's literally thee Lincoln history alive today (e.g. they consulted with her for making the Lincoln movie).
Also many of states Coolidge lost/won have flipped in many elections for Dems or Repubs in every election including this last one so yeah, north vs. south is mostly flipped but many many exceptions so if anything all that map proves is we were much more polarized exclusively in that election then now and inbetween I'd argue.
Realize that USA was very different in the 1920s and 1930s (mostly rural). The modern political map came later as population centers grew. Coolidge was just the first POTUS you could associate with Republicans today. He believes much the same as they.

Paging through Wikipedia, it looks like Bill Clinton's 1992 election established the political landscape we mostly see today (the beginning of severe polarization--when the west coast turned Democrat):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1992

Last edited:
Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
I think you're not free from being fallible. Also the "Lincoln movie" is hardly where I'd go to get truth to historical perspective. Sorry this isn't about disbelief as much as I think you've distorted history, including modern history claiming modern libs are for blacks and modern conservatives are not for blacks. Sorry not buying that. Next you'll tell me to watch the Kennedy movie made by Oliver Stone as the ultimate source for all historical things Kennedy...yeah, nuff said. Also "Don't believe me? " is hardly a way to defend your words, that is basically claiming no one can argue anything you say or the degree of it as if you are infallible whatever facts you base your opinions on and almost implying omnipotent ability. No disresepect to you and no worries here, but sorry friend stand down just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
You clearly didn't read it. Lincoln loved government; modern Republicans don't; at most they tolerate it. Lincoln literally seized the south by force. That's something modern Democrats love doing (e.g. Obamacare) and Republicans hate. Modern Republicans are more closely aligned with Jefferson (anti-Federalist/state rights) than Lincoln.

Lincoln freeing the slaves was a means to an end (keeping the union/territories together). He was willing to give up his views on slavery (not extending slavery to the territories and ultimately having to free them to help out) to win the war which he thought was the overall good for the people.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The South wanted to extend the status quo west (South states have slavery and North states do not). Lincoln refused to extend slavery into new territories and his election effectively triggered the South secession (the South will be overruled in Congress because the new territories will vote against the South). He felt his presidential duty was to reunite the states so off to war the North went to bring the South back in. Because the Civil War was fundamentally about slavery and each side went into their respective corners, who won the war definitely would mean freedom or slavery going forward after reunification. There would be no line drawn in the sand anymore; the matter would be settled forever. As the North pushed South, they freed the slaves they came across. A marching army can't do anything for slaves except unchain them and it also had the effect of further crippling the South's economy (no labor to tend the fields).

There was a pretty easy path to preventing the Civil War: pass a Constitutional amendment that says the federal government shall make no law in regards to slavery.

Last edited:
It wasn't out of the kindness of his heart for slaves nor African Americans. That's why he refers to Emancipation Proclamation as a War Measure.

He never saw them as equals nor worthy of regular stature or politics as his speeches note.

Lincoln said:
“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races,”

History said:
Lincoln first publicly advocated for colonization in 1852, and in 1854 said that his first instinct would be “to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia”

History said:
Nearly a decade later, even as he edited the draft of the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation in August of 1862, Lincoln hosted a delegation of freed slaves at the White House in the hopes of getting their support on a plan for colonization in Central America. Given the “differences” between the two races and the hostile attitudes of whites towards blacks, Lincoln argued, it would be “better for us both, therefore, to be separated.” Lincoln’s support of colonization provoked great anger among black leaders and abolitionists, who argued that African-Americans were as much natives of the country as whites, and thus deserved the same rights. After he issued the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln never again publicly mentioned colonization, and a mention of it in an earlier draft was deleted by the time the final proclamation was issued in January 1863.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
The South wanted to extend the status quo west (South states have slavery and North states do not). Lincoln refused to extend slavery into new territories and his election effectively triggered the South secession (the South will be overruled in Congress because the new territories will vote against the South). He felt his presidential duty was to reunite the states so off to war the North went to bring the South back in. Because the Civil War was fundamentally about slavery and each side went into their respective corners, who won the war definitely would mean freedom or slavery going forward after reunification. There would be no line drawn in the sand anymore; the matter would be settled forever. As the North pushed South, they freed the slaves they came across. A marching army can't do anything for slaves except unchain them and it also had the effect of further crippling the South's economy (no labor to tend the fields).

There was a pretty easy path to preventing the Civil War: pass a Constitutional amendment that says the federal government shall make no law in regards to slavery.
Your history is a touch off there Ford.

Your history is a touch off there Ford.

The North had Slave-States (Border-States) Maryland, Missouri, Delaware, and Kentucky. The EP only applied to rebelling states.

Lincoln didn't want to touch slavery because it would have fracture the Union. He didn't have an issue with the Corwin Amendment. Which would have made slavery legal an untouchable by the Government (irony, was to be the 13th amendment)

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The Corwin Amendment was too little, too late. Congress would have had to propose it at the beginning of the Buchannan administration, not the end.

Speaking of which, Maryland actually just rescinded from the Corwin Amendment in 2014. Kentucky and Rhode Island are the only two states that still have it ratified.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 4960x Ivy-Bridge E @ 4.6 Ghz @ 1.42V
Motherboard x79 AsRock Extreme 11.0
Cooling EK Supremacy Copper Waterblock
Memory 65.5 GBs Corsair Platinum Kit @ 666.7Mhz
Video Card(s) PCIe 3.0 x16 -- Asus GTX Titan Maxwell
Storage Samsung 840 500GBs + OCZ Vertex 4 500GBs 2x 1TB Samsung 850
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Zbrush, 3Dmax, Maya, Softimage, Vue, Sony Vegas Pro, Acid, Soundforge, Adobe Aftereffects, Photoshop
The evolution of the conversation is fascinating... First it was about news relating to the current president and Intel. That lead to the politic which shouldn't be on here, but the TPU gods haven't condemn the progression of the conversation. It followed with the Trump fanboys and the online Trump Protection Unit (TPU) with their comment. Towards the end it evolved into a history lesson. Are you member going to toss religion into the mix? Can we just let this conversation die and disappear like a bad rash someone got after sleeping with some chick who looked pretty at first because a lot of beers were consumed but they came to realize that she is super super ugly; I intentionally did a run-on with no commas with the intent of sounding funny. Ha ha! /sarcasm disabled.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Notice how you skipped right over the "This is a TECHNOLOGY site. Keep the fraking politics and" part of my statement. Hmm..
Yep. Intentional. I was just pointing out rudeness in either only insulting other's points of views, or the slightly more rude assumption that your points of view aren't just as narrow-minded.

Yep. Intentional. I was just pointing out rudeness in either only insulting other's points of views, or the slightly more rude assumption that your points of view aren't just as narrow-minded.
Thank you Mr Obvious. What seems to have escaped YOU is that my rudeness was ALSO intentional. The views expressed in this so-called "news article" come off as little more than trash journalism and have no place on TPU. Why it was approved for publishing in the first place is somewhat dubious and troublesome as TPU has a hard earned and well deserved reputation for objective, unbiased tech news reporting. It needs to stay that way. Leave the political, agenda based crap-flinging to the trash "news" sites.

On a personal note, I couldn't care less about your pathetic, pedantic, pithy comments. However, they are good for a laugh. So please do continue.

Thanks Raevenlord for what I felt was a challenging and informative, even-handed editorial. Thanks for not being hyper-liberal like every other tech writer out there. I read and hear so much anti-Trump stuff which is so misinformed or deliberately distorted, that I'd think I'm living outside the U.S.