• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

System Name hp OMEN X 900-000NX
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard hp Munich-S Z170
Cooling Asetek liquid cooling
Memory 32 GB DDR4-2133 Hynix
Video Card(s) hp GTX1080 Founders
Storage 256GB M2 Samsung (system)+ 1GB SSD WD BLUE edition GAMING(2x500 RAID 0 config)+2TB SATA (storage)
Display(s) LG TV 43 UJ670V active HDR
Case hp OMEN desktop X 900
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR DSX (Active) ,SBZ (inactive), onboard Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
Keyboard SteelSeries hp OMEN
Software Windows10 64bit hp OMEN edition
Few days ago I changed from my msi GT72 2QE Dominator pro to HP OMEN X and I was successful to get DTS-I and DDL togethr with DTS CONNECT enabled using the patcher , A1 method and registry add of the DWORD on the latest drivers with on board sound ALC1150 ,

I am curious if the old method (with Test mode and a different file and location from the most current method) still functions on the current insider builds... but I doubt it. If it even does enable it still, playback probably still fails.

Funky_Funked

Realtek 2.75 and 2.79 worked for sure on windows 10. Check if you don't have optical out disabled in bios.

1 uninstall your current realtek audio driver ( and mabe clean registry with CClener to be sure)
2 Download 2.79, zip version not .exe( not sure about 2.80) there is link to drivers archive somewhere in last pages.
3 unzip ( or unrar;) ) it
4 download patcher from page 47 an paste it to unziped folder
5 open patcher as admin and patch every file named "rltkapo" and "rtkapo" in folders vista and vista64 (4 such files in two folders)
6 Run setup in uziped folder and install driver normaly, when it will ask if you really want to instal cuz its dangerous , click yes. don't reboot when it finish installing.
7 Open Regedit , find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value), Set Value to 1.
8 reboot computer then you open playback devices not realtek driver( becuse it is partialy broken now and changing formats for example will crash it)-> choose realtek digital output-> properties-> in supported formats choose 44 and 48 and in advanced-> choose dolby or dts from drop down.

Worked like a charm for me on windows 10.

Wow, this actually worked for me on the first try, Windows 10 Pro, all new updates installed.
THANK YOU FOR THIS TOPIC AND THIS POST, you're all awesome!! And also thanks a lot for the patcher (forum page 47), although my antivir recognised it as a trojan...

Some additions:

- Works perfectly for my Realtek ALC889 (Gigabyte GA-PH-67a-d3-b3)
- I used a 2.79 .exe and extracted the files with winrar - it's the same files as in the zip.Yo u could find it anywhere on the internet
- I only had to patch 2 files (not 4), because i only downloaded the x64 drivers. There's only a Vista-64 folder. Works perfectly.

- 5.1 DTS & Dolby are available for SPDIF-Coax output (i guess for optical also, but i dont use that). If I test the Surround in the Windows Audio Settings, only Stereo is played (but my amp shows that 5.1 is coming in). BUT if I load up a game (for example: GTA V, Rise of the Tomb Raider, RE: 7), it recognises the 5.1 output and i have real surround with SPDIF!! 5.1 with only one cheap copper cable xD Ahhhh and I really thought about buying a HDMI -> SPDIF extractor, thank god i didnt do that, would've been totally unneccecary.

Thanks again for this thread!

99% of the ppl on the internet thinks its *technically* IMPOSSIBLE to encode 5.1 LPCM to 5.1 DTS or Dolby on the fly.... yeah, guess 99% don't know much about computers and especially audio.

Yeah, I bet even with that patcher method, dolby/dts default formats are completely broken in the Insider builds (again).

Hmmm maybe there is a hope ( or quite contrary ).

I instaled UWP version of VLC from windows store and loaded movie with DTS track and ... there it is dts shows on receiver. As for any other win32 app mpchc or games still can't force dts or dolby no matter what on insider builds.

Last edited:
No like, I can't remember if I mentioned it here or on a Microsoft thread, but you can get DVDs to play Dolby or DTS on media players if they're set up correctly with the default Microsoft driver, but this doesn't solve the issue of the Dolby/DTS default formats not functioning properly, which would give you encoding from every surround sound source that isn't already a Dolby signal (like games).

unlikely.... But I wouldn't know because I'm in the Slow Ring.

My fear here is that they appear to be identifying it as a different issue that's happening on top of it in some of the more recent builds (which I haven't seen yet), which is not the actual issue that we're having. But hey, maybe they'll fix both.

Funky_Funked

Hi,

Build 1607 works with no problems? i want to know before i do the update to that version.

Yup, I'm on 1607 and it works great. Win 10 Pro. Realtek ALC889. Just follow the instructions of lolek86 EXACTLY, i reposted them in my post above. Thanks lolek86 btw :)

Oh, 1607, the Anniversary update? These numbers being all over the place is confusing. Yes, but after that it breaks again.

Storage 256GB M2 Samsung (system)+ 1GB SSD WD BLUE edition GAMING(2x500 RAID 0 config)+2TB SATA (storage)
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR DSX (Active) ,SBZ (inactive), onboard Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
1607 OB.14393.693 works perfectly ALC1150

Indeed after the update i still had the same options and it works. i did dent had to do the trick again.

ok everyone saying yay it works on the regular win10, non-insiders, need to realize that the issue we are talking aboot for the last few pages is with insider previews. yes the patch still works on 1607 , we know that. we are trying to fix it in the previews because when the creators update comes out later this year all the 1607 WILL get updated and probably loose full DTS support.

@pendragon1 , are you using the above patch to get the unlock on 2.81?
yeah I tried the patcher and the pre-patched files, the reg edit nothing worked. I just updated to ip15031 and there is a newer driver over on laptopvideo2go so I'm gonna try it here in a few minutes. ill let ya know how it goes...

Thank you Pihto, I was thinking just to buy a new sound card or HDMI converter. It works great with Windows 10, driver version 6.0.1.7962, Driver Date 10/20/2016. Tested in the game and movies.

Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
ok everyone saying yay it works on the regular win10, non-insiders, need to realize that the issue we are talking aboot for the last few pages is with insider previews. yes the patch still works on 1607 , we know that. we are trying to fix it in the previews because when the creators update comes out later this year all the 1607 WILL get updated and probably loose full DTS support.

yeah I tried the patcher and the pre-patched files, the reg edit nothing worked. I just updated to ip15031 and there is a newer driver over on laptopvideo2go so I'm gonna try it here in a few minutes. ill let ya know how it goes...

On the fair side it is not an ISSUE in first place it is a hack first and for all not even a workaround .
I believe you are not aware that full DTS Interactive & DDL has to be licences and pay for it in most case by motherboard or brand who makes them . So for a fact I have ASUS Z170-A ( https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-A/ ) in my self built MEDIA PC which out of the box comes with full DTS implementation and licence but no DDL . I dont care about DDL as I prefer DTS-I & DTS altogether. Now every realtek driver I install works perfectly fine and DTS I is always there without any hacking , modification or what ever.
Realtek makes the hardware ( Sound processor) and in most case is full DTS-I , DDL , Dolby & DTS capable its up to the company, manufacturer who use them to license technology which is at hand .
I remember when this current stable version of W10 was under development and Insider releases the same was going on but still here we are , arent we ..works for most who know how to apply the hack or lets call it workaround.
Now I have hp OMENX who stupidly licensed just a part of DTS so called DTS HEADPHONES shit ..so DTS-I and DLL was not normaly enabled but I have OPTICAL OUT which by definition means the hardware is capable to do both and YES it does by applying our little trick here hower that utter shit DTS HEDPHONES is a gonner ..which again I dont give a fuck for .

Peace !

On the fair side it is not an ISSUE in first place it is a hack first and for all not even a workaround .
I believe you are not aware that full DTS Interactive & DDL has to be licences and pay for it in most case by motherboard or brand who makes them . So for a fact I have ASUS Z170-A ( https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-A/ ) in my self built MEDIA PC which out of the box comes with full DTS implementation and licence but no DDL . I dont care about DDL as I prefer DTS-I & DTS altogether. Now every realtek driver I install works perfectly fine and DTS I is always there without any hacking , modification or what ever.
Realtek makes the hardware ( Sound processor) and in most case is full DTS-I , DDL , Dolby & DTS capable its up to the company, manufacturer who use them to license technology which is at hand .
I remember when this current stable version of W10 was under development and Insider releases the same was going on but still here we are , arent we ..works for most who know how to apply the hack or lets call it workaround.
Now I have hp OMENX who stupidly licensed just a part of DTS so called DTS HEADPHONES shit ..so DTS-I and DLL was not normaly enabled but I have OPTICAL OUT which by definition means the hardware is capable to do both and YES it does by applying our little trick here hower that utter shit DTS HEDPHONES is a gonner ..which again I dont give a fuck for .

Peace !
no I'm totally aware of that. my whole point was that ppl letting us know that it works with non insider is pointless. we know that.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
8059 realtek dolby-dts 2-19-17.JPG

W7U x64 SP1.

Got Dolby and DTS using R2.81 (8059).

Extracted the installer, replaced the RltkAPO64.dll with the modified one, did the registry disable DWORD before each reboot (had to do it twice, because it disappeared after the first reboot).