• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces Atom C3000 Line with up to 16-cores and Enterprise Level Features

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Intel's Atom CPU line may bring back ugly memories of the netbook era and slow, underpowered devices that were often jokingly compared to the compute power of a common potato, but this latest line of Atom CPUs appears to have evolved into something much different.

At the high end of the C3000 line, Intel is talking in terms of 16-core CPUs, and not 16-core weaklings either. The announcement includes some features borrowed from the coveted Xeon line, such as hardware virtualization, and RAS (reliability, availability, and serviceability) which is a tech designed for enterprise data needs.

Intel is aiming these chips square at the NAS and IoT markets, which makes sense since these hexacore-capable CPUs will be excellent for dealing with several parallel data streams. They may not be as fast as Intel's premium microarchitectures such as Kaby Lake and Broadwell, but they certainly are a far cry from the old Atoms of the netbook generation.

The C3000 series succeeds the flawed C2000 Atom series of products, which caused a good number of networking and NAS style devices to fail prematurely due to a design flaw. Provided Intel keeps quality control up and avoids a similar fate, the C3000 has all the specs to be an interesting product indeed. The new line is scheduled to launch in the second half of 2017.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
Quote: "Intel's Atom CPU line may bring back ugly memories of the netbook era and slow, under-powered devices that were often jokingly compared to the compute power of a common potato"

You say that like it's a fact. I have had a number of Atom based devices and while the performance was limited, every one of them did the job intended and some, including the two I still own, still do and very well. The Atom was never meant to be a performance chip. It was meant as/for a utility type implementation. And in that capacity it excelled.

So can we dispense with the "Making mountains out of mole-hills" mentality that has crept into TPU lately? Seriously.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Quote: "Intel's Atom CPU line may bring back ugly memories of the netbook era and slow, under-powered devices that were often jokingly compared to the compute power of a common potato"

You say that like it's a fact. I have had a number of Atom based devices and while the performance was limited, every one of them did the job intended and some, including the two I still own, still do and very well. The Atom was never meant to be a performance chip. It was meant as/for a utility type implementation. And in that capacity it excelled.

So can we dispense with the "Making mountains out of mole-hills" mentality that has crept into TPU lately? Seriously.

Why are you taking it like a personal attack, they are low performance chips that are intended for certain use scenarios and tasks as you mentioned but when they cant perform those tasks to an acceptable level then they will get the criticism they deserve and is some cases they aren't able to deliver...

But maybe you're right, I'm sure with your vast knowledge and contributions here on TPU you are indeed qualified to advise TPU to stop with their "mountains out of mole-hills" mentality that you seem to have uncovered.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

Bah , compromised performance is all atoms were about too slow to be a good experience and too fast to get anywhere near arm.
These are server chips though so ,also not atom and are right up Facebook's Street but as others commented , these will likely supplant far more expensive Intel processors in some markets , a strange win then and by the looks of Naples too little too late.

System Name LYCANTROATH
Processor Phenom II 1090t BE
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory Kingston Dominator 4GB(1600Mhz)x2
Video Card(s) Asus DirectCU II TOP Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDRR5 x2
Storage Wester DIgital Blue 1.5 TBx1, SEAGATE 3TBx1
Display(s) HP FULL HD 23" M2310
Case Cooler Master STORM TROOPER
Audio Device(s) Integrated Audio
Power Supply EVGA SUPER NOVA 850G MODULAR
Mouse Cooler Master Inferno
Keyboard Microsoft SideWinder X6
Software Windows X
hahaha so hilarious and so true... you makes my day

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED

Wasn't my intention, I may have let a bit more of my personal experience with a particularly poor (and pink, thanks @Toothless) atom netbook creep into my writing than is professional. Thanks for the criticism, while I won't take it down (because that would look like I was trying to hide something), I will keep this in mind for future writings.

Why are you taking it like a personal attack, they are low performance chips that are intended for certain use scenarios and tasks as you mentioned but when they cant perform those tasks to an acceptable level then they will get the criticism they deserve and is some cases they aren't able to deliver...

But maybe you're right, I'm sure with your vast knowledge and contributions here on TPU you are indeed qualified to advise TPU to stop with their "mountains out of mole-hills" mentality that you seem to have uncovered.

So it would seem you've missed the point. That's ok.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Honestly, I welcome feedback from everyone and anyone. This is nothing to get worked up about.

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
Do these up n' croak too or just the c2000? LoL

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
It seems Intel figured out that problem and it isn't likely to pop up again, pun intended.

One would hope. Of course they could always pull a Samsung and have their "fix" do the exact same thing.

I'd hope the industry is learning rather than regressing though. ;)

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Wasn't my intention, I may have let a bit more of my personal experience with a particularly poor (and pink, thanks @Toothless) atom netbook creep

That's actually slower single core wise as my Pentium 3 funbox as we benched in CPU-Z thread.

Call that progress :D

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
That's actually slower single core wise as my Pentium 3 funbox as we benched in CPU-Z thread.

Call that progress :D

That pink netbook sat in the server closet with it's pink case removed for about 3 months before being pulled out due to being a horrible NAS and thrown in a pile of misc circuit boards. It's still there, looking sad.

But again, I should never have tried to use it as an NAS, honestly. Not its purpose. The chips above? Now those are NAS chips.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
That pink netbook sat in the server closet with it's pink case removed for about 3 months before being pulled out due to being a horrible NAS and thrown in a pile of misc circuit boards. It's still there, looking sad.

But again, I should never have tried to use it as an NAS, honestly. Not its purpose.
I have a blue one I was half tempted to fit an ssd too , just to see but nope the boot time pain keeps me away.

One would hope. Of course they could always pull a Samsung and have their "fix" do the exact same thing.

I'd hope the industry is learning rather than regressing though. ;)
Now lets be fair, the Note 7 battery problem was a manufacturing problem on the part of the battery maker. Samsung had little to do with it and yet has had to bare the brunt of the damage. But you're right, one would hope that Intel takes the right approach at the solution. And if history is any indication, they very likely will.

I have a blue one I was half tempted to fit an ssd too , just to see but nope the boot time pain keeps me away.
One of the Atom based devices that I referred to above is an Emachines EM250. Single core 1.6 ghz Atom with 2GB of DDR2. It has AndroidX86 on it and runs smooth as silk. It does the job needed of it to and does it well. I actually have an older 240GB SSD in it and the boot up times, while not super fast, are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
One of the Atom based devices that I referred to above is an Emachines EM250. Single core 1.6 ghz Atom with 2GB of DDR2. It has AndroidX86 on it and runs smooth as silk. It does the job needed of it to and does it well. I actually have an older 240GB SSD in it and the boot up times, while not super fast, are good.
I'd rather use my phone (zenfone2)and easily could, powered USB hub keyboard and mouse and mirrorcast to a TV and it's a quad Intel OoO CPU so I could do something useful , even game and it also fits in my pocket and has 4-5 times the battery life in my overestimate;) :p

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Now lets be fair, the Note 7 battery problem was a manufacturing problem on the part of the battery maker. Samsung had little to do with it and yet has had to bare the brunt of the damage.

I was referring to the fact that they failed to do QA on the second battery line any better than the first... but yes, point taken. Time pressure certainly had a lot to do with their situation too. I'm pretty sure Intel at any rate is not eager to be on that same chopping block.

I was referring to the fact that they failed to do QA on the second battery line any better than the first... but yes, point taken. Time pressure certainly had a lot to do with their situation too. I'm pretty sure Intel at any rate is not eager to be on that same chopping block.
I see. You're right of course.

I'd rather use my phone (zenfone2)and easily could, powered USB hub keyboard and mouse and mirrorcast to a TV and it's a quad Intel OoO CPU so I could do something useful , even game and it also fits in my pocket and has 4-5 times the battery life in my overestimate;) :p
Yes but a phone doesn't have a 10" screen, 3 full size usb ports and a decent sized keyboard. Hell, most tablets don't even have that. And Miracasting only works if you have a display that can do it. The other device I have is a GPD Win which is less than a year old and performs very well. But I digress..

My point was that the Atom CPU line is not useless. It had it's uses then and still does now. Not a power-house line of CPU, sure. But not useless or a nightmare to use.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Yes but a phone doesn't have a 10" screen, 3 full size usb ports and a decent sized keyboard. Hell, most tablets don't even have that. And Miracasting only works if you have a display that can do it. The other device I have is a GPD Win which less than a year old and performs very well. But I digress..

My point was that the Atom CPU line is not useless. It had it's uses then and still does now. Not a power-house line of CPU, sure. But not useless or a nightmare to use.
I get you, we just have different levels of nightmare.
My works HDD lenovo pcs are also too slow at times with 8 cores.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

I agree with that. My main emphasis with the article is that the compute power is... well it is what it is. But it's certainly got it's place. I just got slightly dramatic in saying that.

I'd say as a primary computing device (like, for gaming) an Atom CPU is certainly nightmare material. But it was never meant for that either.

I get you, we just have different levels of nightmare.
LOL! Very likely. ;-D

I agree with that. My main emphasis with the article is that the compute power is... well it is what it is. But it's certainly got it's place. I just got slightly dramatic in saying that.
Fair points. It really depends on individual perspective. Which gets back to the original complaint. TPU is one of those tech reporting sites that has earned a reputation for being impartial and objective in providing information about the industry. Yet lately there have been instances where the authors of various articles add personal opinion and bias. Quality journalism lacks those kinds of things. As a trusted and reputable media outlet, TPU has a responsibility to provide information as objectively as possible, reserving bias and personal opinion for a section that is qualified as such, if shared at all.

I'd say as a primary computing device (like, for gaming) an Atom CPU is certainly nightmare material. But it was never meant for that either.
Funny thing is, the aforementioned GPD Win has an Atom Z8700 with the HD405 IGP. You wouldn't think it would do much gaming, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how well it does. For example, it plays Crysis at a solid 30fps. While that requires some setting to be turned down or off, it still looks and plays well. Installed it mostly as a joke while showing it off to friends but then we all were surprised by how well it did. Plays a ton of classics the same way. But by no means is it a hardcore gaming platform.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
And how much does a 16-core Atom cost?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Quality journalism lacks those kinds of things. As a trusted and reputable media outlet, TPU has a responsibility to provide information as objectively as possible, reserving bias and personal opinion for a section that is qualified as such, if shared at all.

Strong points I couldn't agree more with. In an age of clickbait journalism, I'll do my best to remember that for future articles. We need to toe the line lest we fall like the rest.

And how much does a 16-core Atom cost?

No idea, they actually "launch" second half of this year.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
I own an AMD C60 (8 watts dual core with radeon) and I use it for server purposes only. I have some respect for the atom line too, but having a 16 core atom will only make sense if its power consumption is low enough. Windows 10 tablet anyone?

Seriously try to keep up ~ An Intel Atom C2000 bug is killing products from multiple manufacturers
Intel Atom chips have been dying for at least 18 months – only now is truth coming to light

If anything the Atom C2K bug should've had much more press coverage, but then again there are obvious benefits of being Intel :shadedshu: