• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible mobo/cpu damage after 1st Dry Ice session

Evening.

Everything was still working perfectly until about 12 hours after the DICE session was over.

So CPU was hot (45-55c) (just a fan blowing at the pot). (Never had time to rebuild straight away).

It seems odd how it stilp worked perfectly for 12 hours after at normal defaults.

That black stuff, in picture (below)... is I think, only, liquid tape thats melted and got into the socket (12 hrs after the dice run). While running hot.

(Other black stuff outside the socket is self-adhesive arma-flex that doesn't peel off cleanly & little bits of blue is remains of eraser).

I used a needle to pick a lot of it out.

After that:
PC booted after re rebuilding with EK cpu block etc.

Prime95 even ran flawlessly for 10 mins.

But then half hour after stable prime95.
Screen then suddenly froze. (Only while idling/browsong Internet).
it won't turn on at all now.

(I was using a screw driver to short the 'panel' pins to boot, as 'power buttom wire' from case wouldn't reach. (Mobo was on desk, during & after dice session).

I've tried connecting case power buttom wire/plug into panel pins.

But NOTHING. Fans don't even start up now, nothing. I don't even hear a noise.

Don't understand it.

P.S
Dice session went nicely.
Got the hwbot record for fastest cpu validation using my mobo model.

VRM's etc weren't over stressed during run. Highest i got was 5816MHZ durimg a short 3dmark run and 5900 MHZ at idle. (1.7v)

I videod part of my session but av chosen not to post unless anyones specifically interested.

Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

As I speak. My mobo that does already looks dry, is sitting ontop a hot radiator anyway, just in case.

I insulated using liquid tape on front (6 inches around socket area). Plus armaflex on bottom of pot (bit not touching CPU). And sat board ontop of a sheet of armaflex. (I basically followed dera8ers insulation guide on YouTube to the letter).

Nick Peyton.

Last edited:

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Man that socket still LOOKS terrible, even after cleaning it.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
You made a mess

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Ah The joys of pain of hardware record runs
Hope you kept the Dry ice away from your Wallet

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Looks like TIM got on the pins, I told ya use masking tape around CPU before using clay!!! Read the other thread.......it all ozz'es into the socket once the LN2 starts flowing.

Try using 90% alcohol with a old tooth brush to clean the CPU pin's and the socket,may or may not work.......

Last edited:
I'll trying the toothbrush thing.

I did use masking tape.

Then i had 6 hrs of dice fun.

Went to sleep.

Had another 4hrs the next day.

Then ran out.

I suspect the liquid tape may of melted and got into the socket "after" the dice session. Due to only cooling with fan aimed at pot.

As during (and even 12hrs) after run everything was fine.

I thought id had a good run and was lucky not to have broken anything.

I was wrong.

So lessson 1. Paint the LET on instead of spraying it (continue to use tape to cover it up first. But dont paint/spray edges of socket (even with tape covering CPU).

Use eraser on edges of socket instead?(with tape first)

Lesson 2
Don't try and cool the cpu with a fan aimed at the pot afterwards coz i was too busy to rebuild that night.

Lesson 3. Question: could i have damaged something using the screw driver on pins to boot? (Done this way as power buttom cable wouldn't reach with mobo outside the case). ?

Last edited:
Just took an old AMD Phenom II X6 1035T (AM3) CPU out an old broken DELL PC.

And BINGO! My PC/mobo (AM3+) has booted.

So it looks like my mobo is fine :D :D (except maybe the Liquid Elec Tape in the socket)!

Okay so this leaves a few possibilities:

1. The 1.7v during my DICE session killed the 8350 (but still odd considering it worked for 12hrs afterwards)

2. The 8350 overheated while I was using the 'POT' as a makeshift heat-sink (with fan) after the DICE session (but never shut its self down/throttled)?

3. The AM3 Phenom CPU's have more redundant pins than AM3+ (FX series), and the Liquid Elec Tape only got into the redundant socket holes for AM3 (phenom).

-Anyone with more experience know if 1.7v would of killed a CPU at DICE temps? Maximum recommendation for these CPU's is 1.55v

-I've not tried cleaning the socket with a toothbrush yet, wanted to see if the mobo was actually broken before I "potentially" done any further damage to the socket.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
when are you going for the Phenom II X6 1035T record?

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Just wondering, i assumed you would try with every chip you have.

Just wondering, i assumed you would try with every chip you have.

I still strongly believe in the following: (and I realise these views aren't compatible with the opinions of the *most active* members of this forum) so I've chosen to take a back-seat. From now on.

GPU Overclocking
-Current overclocking & voltage controls are adequate for mainstream users, but Enthusiasts want more!

-I believe we should be able to tweak unlocked BIOS's on Nvidia GPU's, (same way we can buy an unlocked 'K' series CPU from intel & pair with an enthusiast motherboard)

-I understand its more complicated with GPU's than CPU's. But I still believe we should have more flexibility. Nvidia locks down harder and harder with every new generation.

-There must be some, more amicable answers out there to make it easier for the 'average joe' to break through and at least compete in the same league as the elite who have untold access to unlimited hardware and engineering/electrical experience to draw from.

-I'm not saying for a minute that manufacturers should pay out on warranty cover when we fry a card, but I do think there should be more flexibility with BIOS tweaks and voltage for those just 'starting out' with 'extreme cooling'.

-If CPU's were all locked down the same way GPU's were.. the sport at hwbot would be reserved soley for those with the knowledge with a soldering iron and micro-electronics, or the rich.

----

Kind of lost the passion for it a bit.

After what happened on my poll at the Nvidia section last week. My intensions got misunderstood and when shit hit the fan, I found out all my threads weren't what I thought they were, either. Which wasn't pleasant.

In my poll, people thought I wanted the manufacturer to pay for us to do what the hell we wanted, when actually I was trying to come up with a solution to "help" the manufacturer give us the freedom we want without costing them.

Before that. I was really enjoying experimenting and trying new things (even some things people haven't maybe done before/or seen for a while at tech-power up).

So to answer your question, no.. probably not... I might still do a bit benching now/again or even join a competition at hwbot at some time down the road, but for the time being -- I'd just like to get back things back to how they used to be, maybe enjoy some gaming again.

/\ sorry for the edit, finished what I wanted to say, properly now..... :) (no more edits).

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Great job lol! :shadedshu:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Nick
sometimes your your own worst enemy
you start threads with polls
you tend to ignore other people's opinion
and worst of all
you decimate your threads and make them unfollowable to later readers by deleting the Guts of the thread ( your posts).

You should Still post >>>>>>>>and in the end just accept people sometimes post stuff in your threads that disagree with you

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
dont be so harsh on this young men who just explores overclocking-instead help him please.
i know not a lot of people are using it but i told ya take some kontakt chemie 71 silicone and you can spray it inside the socket and everywhere around.
it could just be some kind of drop of moisture in socket and after drying it works again.
this is what kontakt 71 is best for and easy to clean afterwards.
never used erasure or other stuff except silicone and armaflex and when i want to sell it i use kontakt chemie cleaner

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
@Nicholas Peyton

i enjoy your threads and especially your enthusiasm, Its a shame to see you deflated like this

I always thought the whole idea of a poll/forum was to "debate" things.

Discussing/elaborating on the reasons for my opinions doesn't mean I wasn't listening.

But when people start belittling others (or are condescending towards them) due to differing opinions it suddenly becomes an unpleasant place to be.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK: thank you, that means a lot to me :)

System Name Firebird
Processor Intel i7 2600K @5.0'ish 24/7 stock core Voltage {5.2 w/102 bCLK}
Motherboard Intel Extreme DZ68BC SkullTrail Z68 Cougerpoint, Excellent MCH !
Cooling Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B[skt478] Modded to 1155 Scythe SH12 fan
Memory Samsung 32nm 16Gb 4x4 (@19xxmhz} low profile[ better than 2133 banwidth]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aurosus 1080Ti
Storage Intel 512 SSD,Samsung 9701Tb, Toshiba 3Tbx2,Hitachi 320,1TBx2,'Cuda 400 7200.10, WD1TBUSB,to SATA
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440 27" WQHD, Samsung 226W, Vizio M60C3 4K 60",Vizio XVT3D554SV
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Intel 10ch[9+1] HD Audio X540> Pioneer VSX39TX[copper chasis,Rosewood sides 5x6LCD remote
Power Supply Seasonic X750 @ 24/7
Mouse Logictech G300s
Keyboard Saitek Cyborg v7
Software Windows 7 ROG E3 X64 by Neuropass/tweakscene
Benchmark Scores 4642@665/1600 220/GAT F1 4544 220/667strap 2.5/3/2/6 Bliss 650/1500 6490 Q6700 Bliss 690/1500
So maybe the chip did fry, seems the board is working, so that don't mean to give up your passion, just a set back.
If you can afford to do the things you want then by all means go for it !!
This was as exciting as back in the 478 days so just get another chip and keep on going !!!!
Caps is right you have brought some very exciting threads into tpu so keep knocking them outta the park :toast::rockout:

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Nick
sometimes your your own worst enemy
you start threads with polls
you tend to ignore other people's opinion
and worst of all
you decimate your threads and make them unfollowable to later readers by deleting the Guts of the thread ( your posts).

You should Still post >>>>>>>>and in the end just accept people sometimes post stuff in your threads that disagree with you
You Are Also In The Wrong Place To Talk Extreme overclocking. TPU is not that place. Some may get it, but they don't understand it. Some don't get it and relentlessly hate on it. Very few here understand it. Not the place.

Come on over to overclockers.com bud and join our benching team... :)

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i thouht for a moment you were gone after the nvidia limits oc thread(and you are right about nvidia limiting oc and they do increase this limit every year more).
the poll was not the best because of nothing against your own clame and that i think was the prob.

but please stay here Nich and keep your threads coming- i enjoy them.
in many years of oc i followed a guide that is-dont go for the last megahertz which needs a lot of volts(could be the coulprit i have no worldrecords)-every chip has its own limits and if you understand that you will find always a middle way of pushing but not so your hardware goes down.
sorry for derailing the thread.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Someone else wrecked a socket, yay, I am not alone now...

I still hold the "most amazingly stupid way to wreck a socket" record though, right guys?

You Are Also In The Wrong Place To Talk Extreme overclocking. TPU is not that place. Some may get it, but they don't understand it. Some don't get it and relentlessly hate on it. Not the place.

Come on over to overclockers.com bud and join our benching team... :)

Thank you, that sounds enticing :)

So maybe the chip did fry, seems the board is working, so that don't mean to give up your passion, just a set back.
If you can afford to do the things you want then by all means go for it !!
This was as exciting as back in the 478 days so just get another chip and keep on going !!!!
Caps is right you have brought some very exciting threads into tpu so keep knocking them outta the park :toast::rockout:

Yup, the idea of grabbing a new 8350 is kind of exciting actually, as mine was always a poor over-clocker.. will be great to see what this board can do for a different chip... all part of the "gamble" I guess.. which in it's self is exciting :)

There's one on Ebay I'm eying up just now ;-)

System Name Firebird
Processor Intel i7 2600K @5.0'ish 24/7 stock core Voltage {5.2 w/102 bCLK}
Motherboard Intel Extreme DZ68BC SkullTrail Z68 Cougerpoint, Excellent MCH !
Cooling Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B[skt478] Modded to 1155 Scythe SH12 fan
Memory Samsung 32nm 16Gb 4x4 (@19xxmhz} low profile[ better than 2133 banwidth]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aurosus 1080Ti
Storage Intel 512 SSD,Samsung 9701Tb, Toshiba 3Tbx2,Hitachi 320,1TBx2,'Cuda 400 7200.10, WD1TBUSB,to SATA
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440 27" WQHD, Samsung 226W, Vizio M60C3 4K 60",Vizio XVT3D554SV
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Intel 10ch[9+1] HD Audio X540> Pioneer VSX39TX[copper chasis,Rosewood sides 5x6LCD remote
Power Supply Seasonic X750 @ 24/7
Mouse Logictech G300s
Keyboard Saitek Cyborg v7
Software Windows 7 ROG E3 X64 by Neuropass/tweakscene
Benchmark Scores 4642@665/1600 220/GAT F1 4544 220/667strap 2.5/3/2/6 Bliss 650/1500 6490 Q6700 Bliss 690/1500
I still hold the "most amazingly stupid way to wreck a socket" record though, right guys?
I have totally forgot what it was :oops:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
Well that sucks. Why no dielectric grease in the socket?