• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Worth Upgrading from a Corsair 550D to a Fractal Design Define R5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
I am thinking of switching my case from a Corsair 550D to a Fractal Design R5. I like the 550D, and it is cool and quiet in the winter months. But in the summer the temps can get a bit high, even when removing the side panel for some extra airflow. I recently upgraded to an EVGA GTX 1070, which seems to run a bit louder fan wise than my previous MSI GTX 970.

Essentially, I want to keep the temps down while retaining a low noise case with room for expansion. I use a number of drives (two SSD, three HDD). With the Corsair 550D and my non-modular PSU, this essentially means I must use all 6 of the drive bays which blocks airflow from the front of the case. Each cage folds 3 drives, so I can't really remove one of the drives as I need 5. I have 5x case fans installed:

1x 120mm rear
2x 120mm in the front of the vents
2x 120mm on the rear of the HDD cages

The Fractal Design R5 differs in that there are two mounts in the back of the motherboard tray for two SSDs. I am thinking I can place two there (PSU cables should allow this without being too messy) and remove the larger HDD cage. This will leave me with a HDD cage with exactly three mounts, just enough to fit my HDDs in while leaving nothing obstructing the front intake fans from blowing colder air across my GPU. Essentially, like this setup but removing the HDD/SSD cage with 5x slots in the front:

To top it off, the R5 comes with two 140mm fans. I can re-use some of my one or two of my 120mm fans; one in the front, one on the side if needed during the summer. That would be a total of 1x 140mm rear exhaust fan, 1x 140mm front intake & 1x front 120mm intake, and possibly 1x 120mm side intake in hotter months.

My question is, will this extra airflow be a worthwhile upgrade? Will some 140mm fans with more empty space in the front bring in enough airflow to keep temps, and therefore noise down by a noticeable amount? I realize quiet cases do not offer the best temps, but I am trying to hit the best middle ground between silence and low temps.

Any advice appreciated.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I think the front bezel on the 550D is the biggest problem. You could remove the dust filter on it if you must have a bezel or just remove the bezel.

You could put some drives in the 5.25 bays at the top and/or you could put some SSD's elsewhere and just mount them with velcro.

These are two solutions without spending money.

I don't know that R5 would be worth it... you said you had a non modular power supply, you could buy a modular and sell the power supply you have, keep the 550D, take the front off so more air can flow in.

You don't really need filters, I don't bother anymore I just use a Datavac ED500 every couple weeks. My system runs quieter and cooler without filters.

nikicam

Hi there,
I just saw this and I have to say that I'm having the same dilemma.

My 3 Corsair fans that came with the Obsidian 550D case were perfect until recently when they got a bit louder. Probably due to the lack of lubrication in bearings. Therefore I had a 2x Scythe S-FLEX 120mm Fans (800 RPM, SFF21D) and once I've installed these the case was much quieter. With that fan config, the airflow wasn't so good so I have decided to order 3x Noctua NF-S12A fans which are pretty quiet IF you use low noise adapters, but with Noctua, I haven't got much better cooling, if only a few degrees better.

Therefore I'd like to sell the Corsair Obsidian and buy the Fractal Design R5 and I'm wondering if that's a smart thing to do.
I am also considering to stick with Corsair Obsidian and buy 3x Scythes' SY1225DB12SL ( 500 upm / DC12V / 0.04A) even though these might rise case temperature a bit although these are 7.5db fans which is ultra silent.

Share your thoughts, please.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Not such a drastic change. Save the money for a more worthy upgrade.

PC hardware is better left untouched (except of regular maintenance OFC).

Everything work for a decade without a hitch, you change one thing, and boom: fried motherboard. Seen it too many times.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
I am thinking of switching my case from a Corsair 550D to a Fractal Design R5. I like the 550D, and it is cool and quiet in the winter months. But in the summer the temps can get a bit high, even when removing the side panel for some extra airflow. I recently upgraded to an EVGA GTX 1070, which seems to run a bit louder fan wise than my previous MSI GTX 970.

Essentially, I want to keep the temps down while retaining a low noise case with room for expansion. I use a number of drives (two SSD, three HDD). With the Corsair 550D and my non-modular PSU, this essentially means I must use all 6 of the drive bays which blocks airflow from the front of the case. Each cage folds 3 drives, so I can't really remove one of the drives as I need 5. I have 5x case fans installed:

1x 120mm rear
2x 120mm in the front of the vents
2x 120mm on the rear of the HDD cages

The Fractal Design R5 differs in that there are two mounts in the back of the motherboard tray for two SSDs. I am thinking I can place two there (PSU cables should allow this without being too messy) and remove the larger HDD cage. This will leave me with a HDD cage with exactly three mounts, just enough to fit my HDDs in while leaving nothing obstructing the front intake fans from blowing colder air across my GPU. Essentially, like this setup but removing the HDD/SSD cage with 5x slots in the front:

To top it off, the R5 comes with two 140mm fans. I can re-use some of my one or two of my 120mm fans; one in the front, one on the side if needed during the summer. That would be a total of 1x 140mm rear exhaust fan, 1x 140mm front intake & 1x front 120mm intake, and possibly 1x 120mm side intake in hotter months.

My question is, will this extra airflow be a worthwhile upgrade? Will some 140mm fans with more empty space in the front bring in enough airflow to keep temps, and therefore noise down by a noticeable amount? I realize quiet cases do not offer the best temps, but I am trying to hit the best middle ground between silence and low temps.

Any advice appreciated.

Well, my suggestions, with minimal spending, are:

A) Take out ALL HDD cages, which will greatly improve airflow... (this is the 1st thing I've done with the last 20+ rigs I've built for clients)

B) Velcro all SSD's onto the back of the mobo tray or other locations.

C) Get a single sled tray and mount 1 HDD onto the floor of the case, and/or put all of them into an external enclosure or dock.

D) If you can, switch to a fully modular PSU to reduce unneccessary cable clutter and improve airflow even more.

As for the fans, use whichever ones you think work best, but study the reviews before buying more, as you may be spending more money for very little benefit. Personally, I prefer 140mm where possible, as they usually offer a bit more airflow at lower speeds with less noise IMHO (Corsair ML's are usually my 1st choice), but that's just me...

Good luck with whatever you choose to do :D

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
2.5" SSDs can be tucked anywhere, hanging loose off the cables behind the motherboard even. There are no moving parts and they weigh very little (usually they are half empty inside too).

Remove the top drive cage so that your GPU gets airflow and jam the SSDs anywhere out of the air path. I've used double-sided tape to stick a couple on top of the PSU more than once.

If it was me, I'd get some velcro tape or just double-sided foam sticky tape and put them here, routing all cables towards the rear panel of the case:

1590764408401.png

Derp, just remembered there are optical bays. Dump them loose in there and zip tie the cables to something to hold them in place. You don't have four optical drives, do you?

Last edited:

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Status
Not open for further replies.