• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Power of Marketing - AMD's Ryzen Hype Train Hyperloops On

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
It's fact though. Most "tech journalists" never attended college to become a journalist, and do not have actual journalistic credentials. Please do keep this in the context of the post I responded to.

I'm not saying I have that education either, but the fact of the matter is that actual journalists, the ones that went to school to get that job, aren't talking about anything AMD, because they weren't really excited by this event. :p Actual news journals have very little to say about AMD< and are too busy with other "topics".
If you honestly believe that Ryzen isn't worthy of news then I have no respect at all for your opinion any longer. It's been a long time since the cpu market had a shake up, this is the first time I've actually been excited about a new product launch, because until now it's all been the same companies and minor improvements.

Edit: and keeping it in context of your comment about Linus.. Yep, I think you are a dick for making that comment. Jealousy is an ugly emotion.

I screwed up, misread cadaveca's post. Please ignore.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If you honestly believe that Ryzen isn't worthy of news then I have no respect at all for your opinion any longer. It's been a long time since the cpu market had a shake up, this is the first time I've actually been excited about a new product launch, because until now it's all been the same companies and minor improvements.
That's not what I was saying, and why I mentioned that my post was in a specific context. I am merely speaking about how this hype is always overblown. It's because this hype isn't relayed by actual journalists. As enthusiasts, we do not read journalists, because they don't really exist in our industry.

I have no actual opinion on Ryzen itself until I get my test chips (which will be real soon). I expect it to do well, but am afraid it'll do so well that it'll sell out, and then retailers will gouge us on pricing.

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
Sigh.. You need to be a lot more clear if that is what you were originally trying to convey.

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
Sigh.. You need to be a lot more clear if that is what you were originally trying to convey.
Not picking on you or anything but i just read through the last few replies between you all and understood what Dave meant. I think we are all too sensitive at times, instead of just analyzing or read with understanding, we take things at face value when we shouldn't and get way ahead of ourselves. I conveyed what both were trying to say without thinking anyone was attacking anyone (Linus included). I for one took up business major as one of my studies in school which required that journalistic traits be learned as well(comes with marketing), and i can tell you the tech industry does not really have journalists reporting the ins and outs like say football. One thing I'd revert from doing though is name calling. Each and everyone here is entitled to their op, whether it's right or wrong. I for one do or say certain things to make it seem like i don't know something just to see how I'd be treated in the response to my questions. Treat others how you'd want to be treated.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Another proof that people are easily brainwashed, not with the facts, but with dreams and hopes.
It's the same in politics and day to day life...

System Name RyZen 7
Processor AMD RyZen 7 1700x @ 3.7 Mhz
Motherboard MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium
Cooling EKW 360
Memory G-Skill Trident Z 32gb
Video Card(s) RX Vega 64
Storage SSD + M.2 + HDD
Display(s) Samsung 4k 24" FreeSync
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Audio Device(s) Logitech z906
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 RX1200
Mouse Logitech G303
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Win 10 x64
Benchmark Scores ...soon
No matter what I'll replace...
My FX-8350 with 1700x :O
My Crosshair V for the new CrossHair VII
My G-Skill 16GB for some G-Skill Trident-Z 16 Gb too
My SanDisk SSD for Crusial SSD M.2 version.
...I'll rebuild all my rig!

Good luck people. :)

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Ryzen will be a success, I'm more sure than ever. Information is laid out more than enough, some people just have a hard time seeing it.

This is a big win for us, Ryzen will finally bury the eternal ultra expensive 4/8 Core/Thread mini-chips of Intel. Intel will be forced to bring 6-8 Core to the consumer platform or they can completely stay away. No one will buy their overpriced shit again after affordable 6-8 Cores from AMD. Capitalism at its worst, that was what Intel did, it will be over for good soon.

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Mouse Logitech G602
Not picking on you or anything but i just read through the last few replies between you all and understood what Dave meant. I think we are all too sensitive at times, instead of just analyzing or read with understanding, we take things at face value when we shouldn't and get way ahead of ourselves. I conveyed what both were trying to say without thinking anyone was attacking anyone (Linus included). I for one took up business major as one of my studies in school which required that journalistic traits be learned as well(comes with marketing), and i can tell you the tech industry does not really have journalists reporting the ins and outs like say football. One thing I'd revert from doing though is name calling. Each and everyone here is entitled to their op, whether it's right or wrong. I for one do or say certain things to make it seem like i don't know something just to see how I'd be treated in the response to my questions. Treat others how you'd want to be treated.
Thank you for that. Hit the nail on the head with that post :)
I had the thread's topic in mind all the time. :p
Ok, after reading springs' post I decided to re-read those posts and I agree, I jumped the gun on this one. Sorry for misunderstanding and flying off the handle at you cadaveca, I totally missed what you meant.

really? 'best seller' at the end of february after holiday season is supposed to mean something!? more like only seller... who is buying intel right now? they would have already gotten it earlier

scabzy

i am a die-hard Intel hater but i still dont trust AMD with Lisa Su as a boss.

why let people preorder before having benchmarks of independent revierws?.. that just makes me worry.

AMD opened pre-orders for Ryzen because of OEMs and System Builders, who need more data to negociate/quantify the volume they order, since the last AMD latform was like a decade ago...hence pre-orders...(this is what Rya shrout, from pcper said after he spoke to AMD about pre-orders)
Ryzen is the CPU to have in 2017, brings 8cores/16 threads to the mainstream after years of intel embedding in ppl's minds that it's out of reach to most and is a super elite enthusiast grade CPU...
not only multi-threading is more efficient than intel's, the IPC is better than anyone could have thought, me included.

Looking at AMD's yields, I don't think that process has much maturing to do at all. All said though, why people are expecting an 8 core part to clock past 4Ghz is beyond me anyway - nothing from Intel past 4 cores clocks all that well past 4Ghz anyway (with max stock turbo's being around 3.7Ghz on 6 core and dropping), and AMD's top 8 Core part is coming with a stock 4.1Ghz XFR clock. And if pricing leaks on 4 core parts are to be believed, I dont know who will care at that point either considering half the price of a 7700k and still OC's.
So you've had access to AMD's yield numbers? Only the most closely guarded secret of any chip company.

You think day one, or week one yields for AMD are as good as it gets? Keeping in mind that Intel has struggled mightily on the 14nm node and the only difference between each "generational" release by Intel has been the upping of clockspeeds.

Somehow, I find it hard to believe that little ole AMD has hit out of the park on day one when it has taken Intel over two years to get a firm grasp on perfection.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue
So you've had access to AMD's yield numbers? Only the most closely guarded secret of any chip company.

You think day one, or week one yields for AMD are as good as it gets? Keeping in mind that Intel has struggled mightily on the 14nm node and the only difference between each "generational" release by Intel has been the upping of clockspeeds.

Somehow, I find it hard to believe that little ole AMD has hit out of the park on day one when it has taken Intel over two years to get a firm grasp on perfection.

We don't have direct yields, but we have shipment numbers. That number is slightly over 1 million chips being shipped this month. That sort of capacity is hard to do unless you have good yields.

scabzy

Ryzen will be a success, I'm more sure than ever. Information is laid out more than enough, some people just have a hard time seeing it.

This is a big win for us, Ryzen will finally bury the eternal ultra expensive 4/8 Core/Thread mini-chips of Intel. Intel will be forced to bring 6-8 Core to the consumer platform or they can completely stay away. No one will buy their overpriced shit again after affordable 6-8 Cores from AMD. Capitalism at its worst, that was what Intel did, it will be over for good soon.
1-dont be so sure, some ppl are really stupid, they like being beaten by a stick, they either have blind brand loyality, or no vision of how things work, but i do believe some SKUs from intel will keep a good value, for some ppl who look after value.
2-intel bribed and intimidated her way to lock AMD out of the market place in early 2000's, they got sued and had to pay AMD 1.4billion $ in anti-trust suit in 2009, while intel during all this time made 100 times more money, and they almost buried their competitor for other a decade, this is a win win situation for intel...financialy, so dont be surprised if they did it again, what do they have to lose ? 10% of their quarter revenue ? still 100 times better than losing 10% market share in desktop-server-mobile because of Ryzen.

scabzy

We don't have direct yields, but we have shipment numbers. That number is slightly over 1 million chips being shipped this month. That sort of capacity is hard to do unless you have good yields.
+ AMD releasing Top end lineup first, a month or 2 before 6core/12thread parts, shows how good the yields are, they need more time to have enough defective parts for 6 cores part.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
1-dont be so sure, some ppl are really stupid, they like being beaten by a stick, they either have blind brand loyality, or no vision of how things work, but i do believe some SKUs from intel will keep a good value, for some ppl who look after value.
2-intel bribed and intimidated her way to lock AMD out of the market place in early 2000's, they got sued and had to pay AMD 1.4billion $ in anti-trust suit in 2009, while intel during all this time made 100 times more money, and they almost buried their competitor for other a decade, this is a win win situation for intel...financialy, so dont be surprised if they did it again, what do they have to lose ? 10% of their quarter revenue ? still 100 times better than losing 10% market share in desktop-server-mobile because of Ryzen.
a) I'm sure. No way to change that. Read again what I wrote.
b) Intel can't repeat that, AMD is not the same company that they were before and OEM's are already doing big business with AMD and Ryzen, so that won't be repeated for sure.
also
c) Intel wouldn't risk to get sued again, the paycheck would be a lot higher this time.
d) don't double post, learn to edit posts / multi quote.

Don't hold your breath. Before Core 2 Duo, when Intel was consistently pwned by AMD Athlon64/FX/X2, Intel stuck to its price-points for the Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition. IIRC, you still had to shell out $999 for the Extreme Edition of that time, even through it was pwned by a $250 Athlon64 X2 model.

:rolleyes:
bf2f1007c6894e70465ecfa0688802ea50f17326e93da567ada4866ec1f3e952.png

Last edited:
System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue
Intel gets the top spots: Great products
Nvidia gets the top spots: Great products
AMD gets the top spots: Great Marketing

Some ex-AMD customers might be.. less than happy with them.

See, I started my PC venture with Intel and nVidia back then.. (thats back then 98 or so). Then I changed stuff pretty much depending what gave most power for bucks (or just what gave most power, since I had stuff like R9800Pro modded to XT and such). I usually moved from manufacturer when they made something that gave me good reason to buy something else (some early rebranding of nVidia stuff, some driver-cheating stuff).

Lately (from 2009 or so) I had exclusively AMD (ATi) graphic cards. Some were good, some were less good.. and in recent years they sorta were not really good at all. I had constant driver issues, software not working, games bugged out, memory leaks here and there.

It wasnt like power isnt there, power was there, just delivery system was somehow not working for me. So I tried to switch brands (not really interested in true power, just bang for bucks and stability prefered, sure I OC stuff, but only reasonably).

And bang, moved to nVidia. No problems, everything works.

Also I had AMD CPU for some time, yea well equivalents of Intel, graphs there, graphs here.. in practice (games and some software which aint that CPU heavy) it sorta ended in not being really equivalent just "cant afford real stuff". So X58 and bye bye AMD. Again no problems..

I had similar story about having Intel SSD first.. and then everything else later (TBH I didnt pay much attention to them, just bought whatever was fastest supposedly), well lets say that in practice its not always what graphs say and there are other attributes to even those SSDs that somehow are not always (if ever) mentioned in reviews. Sometimes due manifesting themselves over time.

Probably reason why I have server grade HDDs and not generic consumers ones. Bit fond of my data (especially after two consumer HDDs managed to die within 3 or 6 months).

Reviews are always only part of the story. What cant be guessed from review is how reliable will be performance of particular piece of HW. How long it will last, how much compatibility issues will there be. How good will be drivers or how bad.

Im not picking sides. Just from my recent-ish past experience, AMD didnt show with most reliable stuff, so they would need to show something truly great for me to actually buy CPU from them (and obviously mobo). Which would also require some decent manufacturer to make one (and there is only very few of them).

Might be just me, might be others. And as for marketing.. well AMD is good at that. Delivering product lately? Not that much.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear, I've owned AMD/INTEL/ATI/Nvidia (and probably something in between). Never had problem with anything. Had a Nvidia card die on me once though (back in 1999-2000ish). I think the fan went out and it kept overheating.

I still remember updating Interstate 76 to support graphics cards (in this case, 3dfx). Seems laughable now.

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
AMD opened pre-orders for Ryzen because of OEMs and System Builders, who need more data to negociate/quantify the volume they order, since the last AMD latform was like a decade ago...hence pre-orders...(this is what Rya shrout, from pcper said after he spoke to AMD about pre-orders)
Ryzen is the CPU to have in 2017, brings 8cores/16 threads to the mainstream after years of intel embedding in ppl's minds that it's out of reach to most and is a super elite enthusiast grade CPU...
not only multi-threading is more efficient than intel's, the IPC is better than anyone could have thought, me included.
I for one have lost faith in pcper, they've definitely come off as Intel shills and i say that with the utmost respect for what they do and the things they know. I know we all have our favorites but they are/were always throwing amd under the bus...even with this ryzen platform. I for one (is) glad ryzen's here. My 5930k platform will now become my dedicated editing rig and my ryzen platform will be my gaming. I just need a better selection of mobo, i need something comparable to my rampage v edition, the crosshair just isn't don't it for me. I would settle for a formula 9 equivalent. I thought about going the taichi, fatality or xpower titanium route but i need a little bit more.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
That's a really shitty thing to say... Not impressed.

LTT is a shitty place and Linus is a shitty guy. Fair's fair.

What I hope for is people dumping their Haswell i3's/i5's. I need more threads for little money.

Yes, that exactly is dave's failing in all his posts. That and subtle pride and arrogance.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
7700k down to £331.59 from £415.99 on amazon uk.

at the end of february after holiday season
Holiday season is mostly US thing. Not applicable to most of EU.

How good will be drivers or how bad.
Come one, it's 2017, for last couple of years nVidia was screwing up drivers regularly, while AMD was steadily improving on both quality and adding more features. Don't project your experience from 2009 to 2017.

That's another problem with subjective "oh, it doesn't work" things. Evidence is rather anecdotal, failure rate is never 0%, so even most reliable <whatever> can upset some unlucky customer into "won't buy that again".
Never had any sort of issue with any CPU (and am always pretty clear what the feck to expect from chip I'm buying), can hardly recall any issue ever with GPUs (I sure am not the most active gamer out there, I admit). Had issues with mem compatibility on an ASUS board (when two different mem sets kept BSODing machine, while passing all memtests, mind boggling). Should I conclude "ASUS mainboards suck"? Nah.

Last edited:
Processor Core i5 3470 (3.20 GHZ)
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5670
Storage Seagate - 500GB | 7200RPM | 32MB Cache | Sata-3G
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair 600w
Looking back when AMD launched the FX chips back in 2011, they released similar images comparing it to Intel, and if I remember correctly, the FX CPU's were either neck and neck in some benchmarks, or it pulled out ahead. When people finally got their hands on them, they were disappointed!

Is that what people are expecting with RyZen? It's all hype?

Looking back when AMD launched the FX chips back in 2011, they released similar images comparing it to Intel, and if I remember correctly, the FX CPU's were either neck and neck in some benchmarks, or it pulled out ahead. When people finally got their hands on them, they were disappointed!

Is that what people are expecting with RyZen? It's all hype?

Very simplified: Zen is AMDs version of Intel's Core architecture. AMD has addressed Bulldozer weaknesses and there is little reason to expect another disappointment.

Just four more days and the truth will be revealed! :)