• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Following Ryzen's Launch, Intel's CPUs Likely to See Price-Cuts

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Let's quietly approach the elephant in the room: Intel's pricing structure will hardly stand the onslaught of AMD's Ryzen, which, if early benchmarks are to be believed, has apparently caught Intel with its pants down. Even purely from the leaks that have been following us non-stop in the last several months, it's obvious that AMD managed to outdo itself in the best way possible, managing to develop an architecture which offers up to 52% more performance than their previous one. Intel, which was enjoying the sun-shaded comfort of carrying a virtual, high-performance x86 monopoly, grew stagnant in innovation, ensuring it would stretch its bottom-line by way of minimal R&D investment - just enough to be able to name their improvements as a "new generation" of processors each year.

This in turn has led to an interesting outlook in the high-performance x86 market: customers aren't blind, and they see when a company is stretching its fingers in their pockets. A stagnant performance increase on Intel's customer processors with almost a decade of single-digit increments and paralyzed core-counts to an (admittedly strong) architecture have taken away a lot of customers' goodwill towards Intel. That Intel still has strong brand cognition is a no-brainer, but it doesn't have as much brand credit these days, on account of the low performance gains, and tick-tock falter, than it did in the days of Athlon 64. AMD has the benefit of being the underdog, of coming up with something new, fresh and performant (with headlines claiming it is the latest revival of a sleeping giant)... and those are all points that put pressure on Intel to reignite interest on its products.

Now, the tides are indeed catching up to Intel, with AMD, this metaphor's proverbial David, striking back at a slumbering Goliath. The promise of a powerful multi-core approach and strong IPC performance (which all leaks point towards), paired with insane, non-consumer-gouging pricing means that AMD has built-up a powerful momentum both in sales and goodwill, with Ryzen pre-orders basically flying off the shelves of several retailers.

All of these serve to point out a simple statement: Intel's product-line and pricing scheme as they are weren't designed to compete. They were designed to usher in an era of lacking competition, to extend Intel's bottom-line to its fullest, with little consideration for consumers' interests and innovation (whether or not we think that that's how businesses should operate is a discussion best left for another day). Make no mistake: Intel Will bring some price-cuts to its product line if Ryzen does live up to expectations (and there is no reason to think it won't). Their product stack just falls flat in the face of Ryzen's pricing scheme, and if Intel wants to keep its current product lines relevant, pricing is the easiest, fastest tool to do so, barring some knee-jerk introduction of new CPUs, though you will, apparently, also have to get a new motherboard to run them.

If you're looking for a good deal on a new processor, but want nothing to do with AMD's upcoming prodigy child of a CPU, the post-Ryzen time-frame will possibly be the best time in years to make such a jump. Intel will be hard-pressed to work the only angle it can - pricing - so as to get some leeway until it can make an extensive revision to its desktop CPU product lines come 8th generation Core "Coffee Lake". This is the best time in years - period - to buy a new processor for all your computational needs. And Intel will probably try and hold you from jumping on the Ryzen bandwagon by throwing some unassuming (yet unavoidable) price-cuts your way.

Oh, and by the way. Here are some discounted Intel CPUs. Let's see if such sales catch up on Newegg and Amazon.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

Ksaes

Intel Core i7-6700K is priced $259 and it is a very good price compared to 7700k which is priced 299$

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
these price (in store) cuts aren't as drastic; the i7-6770K was always $299 and the i7-7770K was ~$30 more.

i've been watching them for awhile and thought if that $30 price difference was worth the slightly higher OCing.

System Name Echo
Processor Intel Core I5-6500
Motherboard Asrock H170-PRO4S
Cooling Stock cooler
Memory 2x8 GB Crucial DDR4 2133MHz CL16 (CT2K8G4DFD8213)
Video Card(s) Integrated (For the moment)
Storage SSD A-DATA Premier Pro SP920 (2.5, SATA3, 256GB MLC,) (ASP920SS3-256GM-C)
Display(s) Philips Brilliance 220SW
Case Zalman Z3 Plus
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply CoolerMaster V550S (550w, 80+Gold)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Wow, they are some greedy mofos, took getting their ass kicked to have some acceptable prices.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
MC was down from $329. It dropped $30. I bought a 7700k a couple weeks ago from there. I don't recall it ever being $379... not even on release day.

The numbers you have are just some inflated values they always have listed. Again, 7700k did not drop $80.

Wow, they are some greedy mofos, took getting their ass kicked to have some acceptable prices.

Can't exactly blame them, just business and what happens when you're in a market with no competition. It does surprise me that Intel didn't have the forethought to see this coming though, and have something up their sleeves to combat AMD when the time came (other than aggressive price cuts). Greed is inevitable in a zero competitor marketplace, but laziness and complacency can be your undoing. AMD certainly played this well, kudos to them.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
That may only be at that micro center US then....

Meanwhile in Europe:

Capture.JPG

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
I wouldn't necessarily say these are massive price cuts but typically consumers are not treated to any significant price cuts on Intel processors. So something is indeed being said here. However, what is being said is from MicroCenter though not Intel and that is the organization we really need to hear from with respect to price cuts.

I'm trying to wait and see if Intel will drop prices on their processors directly targeted by the new AMD RyZen line (1800X, 1700X and 1700). I want to see significant price cuts on the Core i7 6900K, 6850K and 6800 as these are drop in upgrades for my Asus X99-A motherboard. Price cuts on the Core i7 6950X would be ideal too. If not then a new lower pricing schem for Skylake-X / Kaby Lake-X on X299 is then highly expected. They lose the home advantage though because these are no longer drop in upgrades.

Assuming AMD RyZen performance is as expected I will buy either an 1800X or 1700X if Intel pricing isn't more in line with AMD's pricing within the above outlined timeframe.

That is assuming I don't lose my $#!t and buy a RyZen processors as soon as I see independent reviews of its processing prowess.

System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Stock
Memory Team Group Elite 16 GB 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Mouse Logitech G102
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU
I cant help but thinking, Intel must be giving out incentive for major retailers, so that they could slash price without losing profit-margin
because there is no way on earth Intel would announce to the world that they are slashing the CPU price
doing so will hurt their image

and that explained also why we see some retailer cut their CPU prices, others dont

ppn

how about 6 core for 250. and discontinue the rest, useless

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
I cant help but thinking, Intel must be giving out incentive for major retailers, so that they could slash price without losing profit-margin
because there is no way on earth Intel would announce to the world that they are slashing the CPU price
doing so will hurt their image

and that explained also why we see some retailer cut their CPU prices, others dont

Microcenter has typically had lower prices on Intel Processors for some time now. I bought my last three or four processors at Microcenter the last of which was the Core i7 5820K at about ~$319 USD which is a price that has not changed BTW.

Having said that, I have to believe that retailers / e-trailers buy a specified amount of stock at the outset which likely already carries with it a bulk rate lower then retail. These business to business deals are done deals. Sure there may be incentives and breaks where applicable but there is indeed pressure on the retailer to move product at the MSRP and calculated profit margins. Since Intel prices are typically so consistent there is likely little concern here.

Intel may never lower their prices even in the face of stiffer competition from AMD but they risk losing market share to AMD if they don't.

I don't know about anyone else here but I am not paying ~$1000 USD for a Core i7 6900K or ~$1500 USD for a Core i7 6950X if the performance level of an AMD RyZen 1800X at ~$500 USD is quasi equivalent. The same goes for Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X.

If Intel doesn't lower the MSRP on these parts I have virtually no choice but to jump ship and I say this after years of buying exclusively Intel (Core i7 5820K, Core i7 3930K, Core i5 2500K, Core i7 860K, Core i7 920 Core 2 Quad 6600).

From what I see, MSRP has yet to drop.

Retailers though has been taking advantage of the one-sided race. They've been inflating prices and are simply cutting off from their inflated prices.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Actually nobody's ass got kicked yet. Still, if you have a product, you sell it for whatever the market will bear. If you sell all you have at an asking price, why lower the price? I know if I still ran a business I would, because you don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Perhaps Ryzen release will in fact lower the amount that people are willing to pay for Intel chips. If so, then that is the economy working as it should.

Really I think the cuts will be to OEMs. There real fear is probably the upcoming ryzen based APUs killing the I3 and I5 in gaming.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
People forget that AMD's manufacturing capacity is way, waaayyy lower than Intel's. Add the manufacturing constrains put by AMD's game console contracts and you can see why, even if Ryzen is a runaway hit, Intel won't likely (officially) slash their prices.

Sure Intel might give price breaks on EOL SKUs to retailers and some other incentives but, sadly, even if every Ryzen CPU sellouts I don't expect AMD's marketshare to increase a lot.

Last edited:
People forget that AMD's manufacturing capacity is way, waaayyy lower than Intel's. Add the manufacturing constrains put by AMD's game console contracts and you can see why, even if Ryzen is a runaway hit, Intel won't likely (officially) slash their prices.

Sure Intel might give price breaks on EOL SKUs to retailers and some other incentives but, sadly, even if every Ryzen CPU sellouts I don't expect AMD's marketshare to increase a lot.

The consoles are made by TSMC and Ryzen by Global Foundries, no problems there. Also, I expect their desktop market share to rise to the pre-Bulldozer era at 30%. The much more important market for AMD will be servers with their high margins ... we will see what Naples will bring :).

Hmm, one would guess, being fabless and all that, in face of strong demand they could ramp up production very quick in other foundries @ globe.

This would be the slimiest move since slime was invented, if it was not done by intel. They had a glorious history of virtually cheating and extorting their customers (who should've learned that by now, but they didn't - there are even 'fans'?!)...

Anyone remembers Pentium/Celeron 300A and AX/BX/TX (or whatever, citing from the head) gimmick? When they actually CUT OFF the part where chip cache was? That chip (Celeron) was actually *more* expensive to manufacture, but sold for less... "Rich people buy cars WITHOUT holes in the gas tank" - to use a common car analogy.

Now, price cuts... Oh, the whole line-up can actually be cheaper? Next, we'll learn that they can be better at what they do.

It's not "normal behaviour when without competition" - it's very malignant and greedy practice, which should've been recognised as such by the customers. Yet, it is very rare to find a reference on Intel as 'evil'...

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Here's a summary without all the liberal pontifications:

Competition expected to give consumers more performance for their money.

Me: 10 words
OP: 634 words

Think Intel has not moved forward in some areas over the last few years? Compare the i3-3220T and the i7-7700T. They've more than doubled the performance while keeping the power consumption the same!

Oh, when were you going to talk about AMD's faults, missteps and failures? Review Consensus: AMD FX Processor 8150 Underwhelming

customers aren't blind
Oh yeah? Just search for all of the people who have posted questions about upgrading their Haswell systems to Skylake/Kaby Lake.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for intel's high pricing AMD may not even be here now,all they had going was lower build cost. You could look at it as intel pricing to keep the competition alive in a time of no competition. I'm sure intel wants to avoid becoming a true monopoly and risk being busted up.

This is why I love amd... I totally support them. And with these price cut, it's finally time to upgrade my 2500k to either 6700k or 7700k.

I hope Vega is defeating nvidia too, so we can see a price cut on nvidia high end, it will increase my love and support to amd, and I get to upgrade my 970 to a 1080 with a reasonable budget.

Amd ftw !!!!

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Start giving me $299 5960X/6900K then we will talk! Damn I am stuck on X99 platform and I don't think I am gonna have money to buy RyZen any time soon.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Here's a summary without all the liberal pontifications:

Competition expected to give consumers more performance for their money.

Think Intel has not moved forward in some areas over the last few years? Compare the i3-3220T and the i7-7700T. They've more than doubled the performance while keeping the power consumption the same!

Oh, when were you going to talk about AMD's faults, missteps and failures? Review Consensus: AMD FX Processor 8150 Underwhelming

Oh yeah? Just search for all of the people who have posted questions about upgrading their Haswell systems to Skylake/Kaby Lake.

Were you in last conversation with "trump intel affair" story? I haven't looked but I assume and think I remember you there:). Anyway had to smirk at the "liberal pontifications" line...

I wouldn't go as far as you to say intel has done so well in innovation etc, however, as someone else pointed out they did what any good business would do and make hay while the sun shines and take advantage of the market as long as they could.

Doesn't mean I have to like it, but as you also point out AMD has much of the consumers blood on its' hands as well, by sucking for so long and releasing underwhelming products like the awful refreshed fx (pure stain on the great initial fx-55 line and the like!) which allowed Intel to play "conservatively" (pun intended) and do the least R & D possible and sell their current lines for as much as possible. Maybe now they will get their asses kicked for a bit ( I have no issue with that either btw) and they have bags of money and have invested in smaller nodes etc (hence being at white house) and if AMD does have an inexpensive powerhouse in Ryzen than Intel will sprint rather than lope in the race and innovate fast and hard. Win/win for everyone even Intel in some ways, this is capitalism at work, markets correct eventually after stagnation (cue AMD for years...)and a correction occurs (cue AMD now HOPEFULLY).

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Start giving me $299 5960X/6900K then we will talk! Damn I am stuck on X99 platform and I don't think I am gonna have money to buy RyZen any time soon.

Hell, I'm stuck on x79 lol. I am hoping for price cuts on older processors as well so I can plunk one in and not pay ridiculous money for it.

If it wasn't for intel's high pricing AMD may not even be here now,all they had going was lower build cost. You could look at it as intel pricing to keep the competition alive in a time of no competition. I'm sure intel wants to avoid becoming a true monopoly and risk being busted up.

Yeah, good guy Intel. Except, last time I checked Intel covered the whole price range from under $100 to $500 and above. Celerons and Pentiums exist too and they are really cheap. How exactly does this help AMD to stay alive?