• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 7-1800X Cracks 5.20 GHz OC with LN2 and All Eight Cores Enabled

Apart from e-peen, the modern plague of the nerd 21st century, explain to the ignorant peasant what the point of this is?
/rhetorical

Put differently? This shows how twisted this market has become.. he has one in his hands, all sorts of tests, comparisons, empirical observations he could have made/gone for. But what does he do, lol? He OCes it in LN2..
Normal, mature, 101% everyday ole use :(

Yes yes, i know, some of you are about to have an apoplexy, reading this. Still so though. As long as priorities are so twisted, as long as an entire market decides merely by watching numbers pass it by.. numbers it won't reach by the way..
Anyway. Looking forward to 'normal' tests. Just thinking of all the drama about to ensue if Ryzens are indeed -that- good makes me smile in anticipation, lol
are you implying people are flocking to buy it due to a single LN2 leak? come on... extreme overclocking has been going on before this century, why do you have to be spiteful about a drag race that pushes the limit of pieces of metal & physics... it's exactly what an 'ignorant peasant' acts like, the market is what you make of it

if he's sponsored, he shouldnt be leaking real tests, you cant even be sure if amd isnt the one that approved the leak

i dont even care about water cooling, i'm into air overclocks for regular users... (but also find extreme ANYTHING, pushing any limits under or over, extreme sports, & so on to be interesting)

End of year for me, my 8350 hits 5.0 on air, ryzen should be able to do it on the same cooler or further

You cant compare both type of silicons. Ryzen is a complete different playground compared to Vishera you are reffering to. The vishera was designed to run on high clock speeds. It's even had a WR on 8Ghz.

5.2Ghz on LN2 is actually, low if you ask me.

Current more or less official WR for an octa-core is 2445pts for i7-5960X @ 6GHz.
Since the overall trend is not going with previous "leaked" results (e.g. same performance at almost 20% lower clock), I can either assume that it was clocked higher, or something is amiss in this picture.
previously R7 1800x was just a tad faster than i7-6900K at slightly lower clocks(e.g. the same).
Or comparing to stock 1800X benches... a ~30% overclock with ~53% performance boost?.... in the real world it does not scale like that! You can't get more for less.

Are you serious? The OC is done by mixing both higher multiplier and a base-clock. It's since the 286 that whenever you increase the FSB (Base clock) the complete system becomes faster. A system with a higher FSB and lower CPU clock compared to a system with default FSB and higher CPU clock is generally faster.

This is just oc basics and you deny that the Ryzen can be actually faster when properly overclocked.

Last edited:

Dux

Not very impressive considering the amount of voltage that had to be increased and LN2 cooling. Still, i plan on buying a six core and i'll be happy if i get stable 4,0GHz on air.

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
The most interesting conclusion we can draw from that OC result, is that Ryzen scales exceptionally well with increased clocks.
According to AMD the Ryzen 7 1800X scored 1,601 points in Cinebench. And if said claims of this article are genuine, then a 1800X clocked at 5.2GHz would score ~2,363 points.

5.2GHz/4GHz=1.3
1,601 * 1.3 = 2,081
2,081 vs 2,363 → +13.5% clock for clock efficiency?
If the 1800X was making use of XFR on AMD's bench (we don't know) then this would be even more impressive. And even if the 1800X was running at its base clock of 3.6GHz, it would be 2,313 vs 2,363 points (still +2.2% → pretty much linear scaling). My guess is that RAM clocks and timing are probably heavily influencing the outcome, but nontheless those results are very impressive.
8b8dea815d10.jpg

Last edited:
More like MS fear mongering people into using Windows 10

It wouldn't surprise me if in a few months MS silently rolls out an 'update' that makes kaby Lake and ryzen systems running win 7 and 8 randomly start blue screening.

Just my two cents.
You obviously have little grasp on what an instruction set, a software life-cycle, or a class action lawsuit are.

Are you equally frustrated by the fact that your new car no longer has an 8-track player as well?

1) New instruction sets are called progress.
2) No-one bothers implementing them in software that is two versions out of date.
3) MS has never released an update that randomly starts bluescreening stuff, at least not by design as you seem to infer. Also, bluescreens are usually caused by drivers or software causing system instability, not the actual OS itself. This would be found out, and lead to a major class action lawsuit. Very, VERY large businesses depend on Windows being stable. Which it is, and as an Wintel/VMware SE for a company with 144.000 employees, I'm pretty sure I have a better grasp of what has gone wrong with Windows OS's in the last few years.

Stop spreading FUD. Seriously, the whining about MS for something you have so little grasp on you might as well be a baboon in a nuclear power plant grows tiresome.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Software Win10
@Nosada W7 is supported up to 2020. So yes. We SHOULD be able to get support for that platform.
Extended support solely includes security updates...

@Nosada W7 is supported up to 2020. So yes. We SHOULD be able to get support for that platform.
Please do tell what exactly in W7 stopped working because you moved to the new platform? Shall I tell you? ABSO-freaking-LUTELY NOTHING!

You want MS to backport brand new extensions from 2016 into their software they released in 2009 and gave it's last major overhaul in 2011, even though not doing it will change NOTHING about your experience in Windows 7 on Kaby/Ryzen.

Are you starting to hear how inanely stupid that sounds? You don't expect this kind of service from ANY software vendor you use, yet MS is somehow a demon for wanting to concentrate on newer things instead of infinitely supporting out-dated software.

There are a lot of things you can fault MS on, this is not one of them.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Please do tell what exactly in W7 stopped working because you moved to the new platform?

My stepmothers 'printer.

Geezus do you work for MS? Do you have stocks with MS going on?

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

47% is still using Windows 7. It's fairly stupid to start ignoring those 47% of users who still like the looks, feel and simplicity w7 has to offer. Sorry but there's no W10 coming in from now on, where MS decides which updates to install, resets user preferences, messes up updates or even causes dataloss after an migrate from either W7 or W8.

W10 has nothing serious to offer compared to W7. Do you really need DX12 at this moment? Do you really need the tiles and all in your fancy start menu? Do you need the app store to get your favorite program to work? W7 suits me perfectly for what it does.

Software Win10
My stepmothers 'printer.
The manufacturer is responsible for updating its drivers, not Microsoft. But the manufacturer may also not be the one to blame, if said printer has reached its end of lifetime.
And I bet your stepmother's printer still works with generic PS drivers.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Weird.. this happened a few days ago... lol.

As I said, it's scary to see 5.2ghz on ln2 considering we are boosting to 4ghz. That doesn't bode well for air or water cooling. I'm thinking we are topping out below 4.5ghz on water...likely closer to 4ghz on air. Remeber, the 6900k starts at 3.2ghz.. 400 mhz below ryzen. ;)

Feels like they have pushed these things pretty far as is.

It's a different chip compared to Vishera. Look at the Rx480. It basicly tops out at 1350 up to 1400Mhz on most of the cards. Just a few lucky ones get more out of it. That is basicly the Global foundries limit these chips can do. However Zen+ should be an optimized chip that should do even better with the needs of less voltage compared to this chip now.

AMD's done a fantastic job if you ask me.

Software Win10
As I said, it's scary to see 5.2ghz on ln2 considering we are boosting to 4ghz. That doesn't bode well for air or water cooling. I'm thinking we are topping out below 4.5ghz on water...likely closer to 4ghz on air. Remeber, the 6900k starts at 3.2ghz.. 400 mhz below ryzen. ;)

Which is great for the majority of users :clap:, while enthusiasts are merely receiving a bit less extra performance via finetuning :rolleyes:, but that should be a very minor complaint considering they'll still benefit from the - supposedly - exceptional performance/$ value :toast:.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

47% is still using Windows 7. It's fairly stupid to start ignoring those 47% of users who still like the looks, feel and simplicity w7 has to offer. Sorry but there's no W10 coming in from now on, where MS decides which updates to install, resets user preferences, messes up updates or even causes dataloss after an migrate from either W7 or W8.

W10 has nothing serious to offer compared to W7. Do you really need DX12 at this moment? Do you really need the tiles and all in your fancy start menu? Do you need the app store to get your favorite program to work? W7 suits me perfectly for what it does.
Microsoft is not user hostile by any means. Microsoft's support roadmap for its products is and has been publicly available to all users. Microsoft hasn't changed its plans and there's no reason they should. If anything, the users are to blame for clinging to software that no longer receives any updates besides security related patches.

more info please.......she lives in Spain and ive been trying to fix it using Teamviewer.
Sorry for being lazy, but this link should give you the guidance you seek.

Last edited:
System Name 3950X Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Cryorig C1 with Noctua NF-A12x15
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1650 LP OC
Storage 2 x Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2 SSD
Case Realan E-i7
Power Supply G-Unique 400W
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-saga-of-the-little-gem-continues.12877/

It's a new chip with a completely new design so noone knows its overclocking behavior, specifically voltage/temperature/stableclocks behavior. Not to ignore the obvious - to me - fact that what we have a single observation of a singular chip, which is most likely not cherry-picked: they probably did not have access to hundreds/thousands of these chips but rather at the order of 10s or most probably less...

All in all, it's very very possible that at least some retail chips will achieve even 5.0 GHz on high-end custom liquid cooling systems, and then hit a brick wall beyond which it won't move an inch, and you need LN2 to reach beyond...

What I'm curious about is how turbo and XFR behaves with overclocking... do they need to be disabled? Or, would it be possible to have an overclocked system at 4.5GHz with turbo up to 4.8 and XFR up to 5.0?

All in all, it's very very possible that at least some retail chips will achieve even 5.0 GHz on high-end custom liquid cooling systems, and then hit a brick wall beyond which it won't move an inch, and you need LN2 to reach beyond...
I'd bet good money says that won't happen. Not even close.

Also, this is the second LN2 I have seen. The first was at 5.1GHz. ;)

Turbo, AFAIK, boosts 2c/4t 200 MHz (3.6 to 3.8GHz), XFR takes a single core to 4.1Ghz. I would imagine this should be disabled when you want all cores at the same speed. Otherwise, it can likely be left enabled.

Which is great for the majority of users :clap:, while enthusiasts are merely receiving a bit less extra performance via finetuning :rolleyes:, but that should be a very minor complaint considering they'll still benefit from the - supposedly - exceptional performance/$ value :toast:.
Yeah, for those that don't overclock, that is good, no doubt. But for those enthusiasts that overclocks, you then wonder what a 5Ghz 7700K looks like against a 4.2Ghz Ryzen...

dat price tho......

My stepmothers 'printer.
Complain to the producer of said printer. Also, I doubt that the printer driver stopped working because it is missing an extension only available on Kaby Lake and Ryzen to begin with.

Let the ad hominems begin. I do not own MS stock, nor do I work for MS, have never worked for MS, nor will I ever. I am just someone who is sick and tired of seeing people spout bullshit. Not an ill-informed opinion of a layman, no, but unadulterated class-A, no-connection-to-reality-whatsoever, capital-B bullshit. Which is exactly what Arrakis' post was.

47% is still using W7. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I never claimed there was, I can understand the reasoning for it in a lot of cases. We still use Windows Server 2003 for some legacy software applications. But guess what, we also don't expect MS to back-port Hyper-V in those machines, or give us an x64 upgrade path. We don't expect them to give us Office 2010 on Office 365. You know why? Because that we be really freaking stupid ideas to put forth.

You put forth your reasons for not wanting to upgrade to W10, which are mostly based on FUD itself, but that is your choice. MS granting lay users less choice in update matters honestly is a very understandable choice, which you'd understand if you ever have had to support end-user systems. I don't give our users, even our first and second-line support, a single drop of lee-way in their selection of updates. Resets of user preferences after updates have happened in every previous version of Windows I've used since 95, so have messed up updates and data loss caused by a migration, so why single out W10 for things that have been issues since time immemorial, especially pre-SP1?

I'm in no way claiming that W10 is some sort of major revolution. The use of DX12 will show its use in time. I don't use the tiles, but they are perfectly disable-able, which is what I did. Just like I disabled the interface in W7 because I preferred the classic XP interface. The app store changes NOTHING about the fact that you can install any software you wish. If this disturbs you, using a smartphone or tablet must be hell on earth for you.

Also, if W10 offers absolutely nothing over 7, why are you demanding that MS back-port stuff? I have completely lost the logic in any of these arguments.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux

Wrong! They produce an 8C-16T CPU with 3.6GHz base clock for only 95W TDP and they pushed things (=clocks by your way of thinking) pretty far? Imho, only things pushed pretty far by AMD for Ryzen are its performance upwards and its price downwards.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I smell a slightly weak memory and or IO controller, perhaps AMD found a way around their cache issues by masking it. or creating another issue further down the pipe as a trade off. Either way, as long as it works.

Wrong! They produce an 8C-16T CPU with 3.6GHz base clock for only 95W TDP and they pushed things (=clocks by your way of thinking) pretty far? Imho, only things pushed pretty far by AMD for Ryzen are its performance upwards and its price downwards.
Yes, they seemed to have pushed things pretty far in regards to overclocking. There doesnt seem to be a ton of headroom for ambient cooling.

Intel has this 'issue' too with 7700K. It starts at 4.2, boosts to 4.5Ghz and poops out around 5Ghz depending on cooling and the sample. But, 5Ghz can be done on water. I don't see that happening at all with Ryzen. Yes, its a 8t processor vs 16. The 6900K started out 400 Mhz less (3.2Ghz), can reach 4Ghz+ on ambient cooling, and craps out in the early 5Ghz range too.

Feel like I've said this before.......lol

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
My stepmothers 'printer.

I can quite honestly tell you that may be your and others fault, for years there was huge security holes in printer drivers.

Back in the 90's when ram was expensive and systems were planned around how much RAM a system could have to determine performance, printers had their own RAM, it made printers expensive, and the drivers only had to tell the system how many KB of buffer the printer had so printer spooling could keep the buffer full, but not dump all the system resources out to make room for simple print jobs. Fast forward 10 years and RAM is relatively cheap, so printer drivers started using system memory and printers became cheap as they didn't have much if any of their own memory beyond the ROM/EPROM of the control chip. This allowed a lot of exploits on operating systems as you could easily overflow the printer buffer with little or no checks on where or who the print job came from ( I did it for fun, and actually reported the issue when I was in the beta program for Vista). MS essentially made the choice to try and patch around it as there were a LOT of users with cheap printers that would have no usable printer moving from Windows 98/ME-XP to Vista and the security hole remained.

Fast forward to Windows 10 and many of the holes have been patched and manufacturers have been forced to update their drivers (it really is their responsibility to keep their hardware up to date, and prevent memory leaks, and security holes) to a model where the driver must pass certain requirements for its own memory management, and other security checks to prevent security breaches and holes.

In short, the printer probably doesn't work as it has a shit driver and MS is tired of taking the blame for cheap printers causing issues.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Yes, they seemed to have pushed things pretty far in regards to overclocking.
I would understand that statement in regards to Polaris chips (which show oh so much better perf/watt when downclocked a bit) AND have no so good power consumption at stock. But saying that about Ryzen, using inferior fab process, yet beating Intel at perf/watt? Why would they go for lower stock clocks???

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Apart from e-peen, the modern plague of the nerd 21st century, explain to the ignorant peasant what the point of this is?
/rhetorical

Put differently? This shows how twisted this market has become.. he has one in his hands, all sorts of tests, comparisons, empirical observations he could have made/gone for. But what does he do, lol? He OCes it in LN2..
Normal, mature, 101% everyday ole use :(

Yes yes, i know, some of you are about to have an apoplexy, reading this. Still so though. As long as priorities are so twisted, as long as an entire market decides merely by watching numbers pass it by.. numbers it won't reach by the way..
Anyway. Looking forward to 'normal' tests. Just thinking of all the drama about to ensue if Ryzens are indeed -that- good makes me smile in anticipation, lol

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure @Knoxx29 promised to buy a Ryzen just to flush it down the toilet.

I've tried to talk him out of it. We shall see if he sends it to me to save his sick and twisted soul.