• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces Long Term Strategic Relationship with Bethesda

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Could be worse could be EA...

Then again Bethesda are not much better ... At least they dont rune good IP's .. yet...
But they don't really allow mods... Which is was the whole point of PC gamming.

o_O Did you read what you wrote before posting? Bethesda's biggest selling games allow all the modding you want. Todd Howard even talks about how that drives long term sales and continued income and is figured into income forecast.

*In case you don't know, I am talking about Elder Scrolls series and Fallout series.

why wouldnt that be achievable on nv? why are people assuming so much from this news? amd has 'strategic relationships' with other devs & you dont see problems there, only with nv when they have closed source or vendor locked features (although it's not like hairworks has no problems on nv either)

You're the one assuming it seems, this is less an NV vs AMD thing and more of Bethesda games being designed around 8-core CPUs and Vulkan.

As it stands there are no video games that make use of 8 cores or 16 threads, AMD is taking an initiative to give gamers a reason to buy their top-end processor. Vulkan is just icing on the cake.

Last edited:
They blocked 10.1 because nvidia cards didn't support it and it gave a performance boost to AMD.... same for the assasins creed of that era... as in... it was going to be in the game, and they removed it.
just cause blocked 10.1? but it ran great... didnt 10.1 only offer a few measily fps, possibly only specific to MSAA? i'm not going to take every anti competitive tactic as maximum hostility, especially after i just mentioned the missing water effects, i wouldnt care about 10.1 by comparison

You're the one assuming it seems, this is less an NV vs AMD thing and more of Bethesda games being designed around 8-core CPUs and Vulkan.

As it stands there are no video games that make use of 8 cores or 16 threads, AMD is taking an initiative to give gamers a reason to buy their top-end processor. Vulkan is just icing on the cake.
do you mean 'make use' as in 'require' or have a 'big jump'? battlefield & ashes might be utilizing all cores, but the last big jump might be at 6 cores (& yes i have first hand experience seeing 4 cores without hyperthreading is a severe bottleneck in battlefield)

more cores used doesnt sound like a problem at all except for those 4 core non HT users

ryzen's game numbers are lacking at this point, but it seems to be primarily due to the clockspeeds (another thing to note, kaby didnt particularly increase ipc from skylake, so it's only gaining from the clockspeed)

but anyway, you're implying that this is a strong slippery slope that will hurt geforce & intel users, that amd should be held accountable for this relationship like nv has been for years, yes? (cuz that's the idea i was replying to)

do you mean 'make use' as in 'require' or have a 'big jump'? battlefield & ashes might be utilizing all cores, but the last big jump might be at 6 cores (& yes i have first hand experience seeing 4 cores without hyperthreading is a severe bottleneck in battlefield)

more cores used doesnt sound like a problem at all except for those 4 core non HT users

ryzen's game numbers are lacking at this point, but it seems to be primarily due to the clockspeeds (another thing to note, kaby didnt particularly increase ipc from skylake, so it's only gaining from the clockspeed)

but anyway, you're implying that this is a strong slippery slope that will hurt geforce & intel users, that amd should be held accountable for this relationship like nv has been for years, yes? (cuz that's the idea i was replying to)

I mean make use of, applications have to be written to inherently use multiple threads, a CPU's headroom isn't automatically utilized just because it's available.

This is an endorsement, Bethesda gets free AMD products to test their software with so they have a REASON to write software that utilizes that CPU headroom, there's no favoritism.