• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Sues the Mobileverse: Claims LG, Mediatek, Others Infringe on its GPU IP

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
This is an unusual article to cover at Techpowerup: We don't usually do mobile stuff. Nevertheless, when a household name like AMD strikes out against some household names in the mobile verse such as LG, Mediatek, Vizio, Sigma, and such, we probably should cover it. AMD's financial wellbeing is important to competitiveness and all, right?

Ok, so what's the issue? Mainly, graphics patents, and intellectual property. AMD thinks ARM Holdings GPU designs infringe on their graphics technology portfolio. Wait, ARM Holdings? Why not sue them? According to the source article, it's due to the convoluted way Intellectual Property law works. In short, because ARM licenses their GPU tech to other companies who build it (ARM Holdings doesn't make anything, it's an idea-house/design farm), it's easier to sue a finalized product with an infringing GPU included than someone who is peddling an idea of a product that would infringe if it were ever made. So, they start things off suing the end vendor, Mediatek, who makes several chipsets incorporating the GPU-principles in question, and of course also the biggest phone vendors currently using those chipsets (South Korean giant LG, among some other minor phone builders).

This is not a small lawsuit by any means, and it could get bigger. AMD has specifically stated in its complaint that this is only an example of Infringement and not the complete subject matter. In other words, if they win, they can sue more people based on this should they choose to do so.

As a mere bystander who uses both mobile phones and PC products daily, I'm sort of torn by this news. On one hand, I love AMD. On the other hand, this feels to me like a patent troll attempt of sorts, but then I remind myself AMD has actually spent years developing graphics technology and they do have a right to defend those exclusive technologies. I guess I need more information on what exactly is infringing. Information has not exactly been forthcoming with this case in regard to technical details, unfortunately.

Regardless, AMD is seeking a cease and desist order to stop the import and sale of the products involved in the USA, so they aren't playing soft with the mobile companies by any means. The gloves are off. I guess the question to be asked here is whether or not that is justified.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
AMD Probably been chasing acknowledgment of ip and royalties for a long time behind the sceans while company's like Mediatek and LG have hoped AMD goes to the WALL thus ending/Reducing the threat of litigation.

To follow in Nvidia's footsteps is the worst thing they can do now. But given how AMD's management is full of retards, I'm not surprised.

Only a dumb AMD would sell an 8 core CPU for $320 and market it as a gaming product when it absolutely not. These 8 core CPUs don't even get utilized past 35% in the latest games.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Not this again...
BTW, this is an over-a-month old news, and so far no developments.

Same deal as an "unfortunate" NVidia lawsuit against Samsung and Qualcomm
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...gement-claims-against-samsung-qualcomm-tossed

Worth ignoring, since it's not going anywhere.

I will admit, I missed that Raevenlord had already partially covered this. That said, that NVIDIA and Samsung/Qualcomm lawsuit was very worth covering: IIRC, Samsung is now reaming NVIDIA legally because of it.

It's strange that this "month old" news is popping up as fresh news across several sites though, in my defense. That said, from what I've read, this lawsuit is gaining far more momentum than the Nvidia one (US ITC is involved now), I wouldn't count on it completely disappearing.

Remember when nVidia sued Samsung and every troll came out of the woodwork to complain about how nVidia is just a troll?

How many of those same people are going to now complain that AMD is not in fact a patent troll?

It's no surprise, though. AMD was bound to want a piece of the pie and mobile is a pie they can't eat otherwise without patent trolling.

dorsetknob

Amd are not a patent troll
they developed the IP
they used the IP
they licenced the ip to Others ( for Payment ie Royalitys )
They Deserve to benefit from ip they developed
patent trolls just acquire IP for the purpose of extracting payment from others

they developed the IP
they used the IP

Oh, yeah, if it's NVIDIA, they are abusing their market position, they are patent trolls, they are anti-competitive, they are milking their customers and shat.

If it's AMD, they are just restoring justice.

Double standards 24x7.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I will admit, I missed that Raevenlord had already partially covered this. That said, that NVIDIA and Samsung/Qualcomm lawsuit was very worth covering: IIRC, Samsung is now reaming NVIDIA legally because of it.

It's strange that this "month old" news is popping up as fresh news across several sites though, in my defense. That said, from what I've read, this lawsuit is gaining far more momentum than the Nvidia one (US ITC is involved now), I wouldn't count on it completely disappearing.
Not as much with ITC, but probably more with Samsung on the "good side".
The core of the problem is the same: AMD's claims are generalized, like the NVidia ones were.
"Parallel Pipeline" and "Programmable shaders" are a part of almost every existing GPU, so it'll be hard to prove that someone was infringing something without narrowing down the implementation of both, and forcing the defendant to disclose what they have under the hood (which will eventually be ARM, currently not involved in the case). I doubt it will go that far.

It's no surprise, though. AMD was bound to want a piece of the pie and mobile is a pie they can't eat otherwise without patent trolling.
According to earlier speculations it's not about mobile market or even patent infringement itself. It's about delaying/eliminating the competitors before finalizing all details of an IP licensing deal with China.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
....Don't think this is a smart move.....

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Oh, yeah, if it's NVIDIA, they are abusing their market position, they are patent trolls, they are anti-competitive, they are milking their customers and shat.

If it's AMD, they are just restoring justice.

Double standards 24x7.

That depends on what the patents are. If they're a joke like Apple's baloney, then it is anti-competitive and trolling.

Nvidia gave themselves their reputation. They deserve any and all flak.

Last edited:

dorsetknob

birdie
Not going to bite
If your trying to Start a flamewar By Draging Nvidia into an AMD Thread That will not work with Me
Have a Reasonably nice Day

System Name 3950X Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Cryorig C1 with Noctua NF-A12x15
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1650 LP OC
Storage 2 x Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2 SSD
Case Realan E-i7
Power Supply G-Unique 400W
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-saga-of-the-little-gem-continues.12877/
That depends on what the patents are. If they're a joke like Apple's baloney, then it is anti-competitive and trolling.

This.

Patents and IP are real and they need to be protected. However, the breach must also be real for it to be penalized. Only ensuring both will lead to actual progress of knowledge.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
To follow in Nvidia's footsteps is the worst thing they can do now. But given how AMD's management is full of retards, I'm not surprised.

Only a dumb AMD would sell an 8 core CPU for $320 and market it as a gaming product when it absolutely not. These 8 core CPUs don't even get utilized past 35% in the latest games.

They didn't market it as a gaming CPU... They only showed that it could game well. They marketed it as a productivity / professional CPU. FYI 10% less performance than the 7700K still makes it better then a majority or Intel's gaming CPUs. Are you going to stop calling everything but Intel's top dog suitable for gaming?

The double standards...

- Lisa Su (AMD CEO) has a PhD from MIT in electrical engineering;
- Chekib Akrout (Senior Vice President, Global Operations), has a bachelor's degree in physics from the University Pierre & Marie Curie in France and a PhD in electronics and physics;
- Jim Anderson (Senior Vice President and General Manager) has a MBA and Master of Science in electrical engineering and computer science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a Master of Science in electrical engineering from Purdue University and a Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering from the University of Minnesota. Additionally he has 4 patents for innovations in computer architecture.;
- Forrest Norrod (Senior Vice President and General Manager, Enterprise) holds Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in electrical engineering from Virginia Tech and holds 11 US patents in computer architecture, graphics and system design;
- Mark Papermaster (Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President) has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Texas at Austin and master’s degree from the University of Vermont, both in Electrical Engineering.

Do I have to keep going? I'm a fervent Intel supporter, but let's not slide to such a low level and start calling people retards, as they're clearly not. :shadedshu:

Question: What kind of relevant degrees do you hold to formulate the above mentioned statement on AMD's management?

Samsung is already paying royalties to AMD for the IP that is the basis of this lawsuit.

AMD hasn't had the cash to pursue all the companies that have been infringing on their patents for years. Things have changed a bit on the cash front. Now they are able to seek justice.

This is the first step in AMD's plan to monetize their patent portfolio. Right now, some or all, of the defendants are probably already sitting down to discuss a settlement for past IP thefts and signing licensing agreements for future sales.

Before AMD's legal team started down this path it would make sense that they reviewed what the court views as frivolous, such as Nvidia's recent lawsuit. So they apparently feel their case has more merit and were willing to incur the upfront legal costs.

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
Remember when nVidia sued Samsung and every troll came out of the woodwork to complain about how nVidia is just a troll?

How many of those same people are going to now complain that AMD is not in fact a patent troll?

Cause AMD is just like Canada, if you get sued by AMD or bombed by Canada, I am pretty sure you are seriously doing something very wrong.

Last edited:
- Lisa Su (AMD CEO) has a PhD from MIT in electrical engineering;
- Chekib Akrout (Senior Vice President, Global Operations), has a bachelor's degree in physics from the University Pierre & Marie Curie in France and a PhD in electronics and physics;
- Jim Anderson (Senior Vice President and General Manager) has a MBA and Master of Science in electrical engineering and computer science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a Master of Science in electrical engineering from Purdue University and a Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering from the University of Minnesota. Additionally he has 4 patents for innovations in computer architecture.;
- Forrest Norrod (Senior Vice President and General Manager, Enterprise) holds Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in electrical engineering from Virginia Tech and holds 11 US patents in computer architecture, graphics and system design;
- Mark Papermaster (Chief Technology Officer and Senior Vice President) has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Texas at Austin and master’s degree from the University of Vermont, both in Electrical Engineering.

Do I have to keep going? I'm a fervent Intel supporter, but let's not slide to such a low level and start calling people retards, as they're clearly not. :shadedshu:

Question: What kind of relevant degrees do you hold to formulate the above mentioned statement on AMD's management?

Yeah... having a degree in engineering or computer science doesn't make you good at making decision.
-Pricing the R7 1700 at $320 and the 1800X at $500 when the 1700 is almost as fast the 1800X is DUMB.
-Selling +$200 motherboards for chips that don't overlock is DUMB.
-Marketing these 8 core CPUs as gemming products when they're absolutely not is DUMB.
Do I have to keep going?

System Name 3950X Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Cryorig C1 with Noctua NF-A12x15
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1650 LP OC
Storage 2 x Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2 SSD
Case Realan E-i7
Power Supply G-Unique 400W
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-saga-of-the-little-gem-continues.12877/
Yeah... having a degree in engineering or computer science doesn't make you good at making decision.
-Pricing the R7 1700 at $320 and the 1800X at $500 when the 1700 is almost as fast the 1800X is DUMB.
-Marketing these 8 core CPUs as gemming products when they're absolutely not is DUMB.
Do I have to keep going?

OK, they did not market these products as gemming, or rather gaming, products. Where did you get that? They just showcased that you can play 4K games on them at comparable performance with Intel parts.
Pricing-wise, you're wrong, it's not dumb, it's called price differentiation through market segmentation, a very healthy way to increase revenues as practiced by, let's see, pretty much every company out there...

Which brings us to the real question: What are your qualifications to pass judgement on these things so flatly? I mean without anything to back your "DUMB" plugs, your "Do I have to keep going?" carries no weight...

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Do I have to keep going?

[citation needed], unless of course it is a subjective opinion, but on the internet nothing is subjective so I am just going to assume this is objective. I know my opinions are fact, so I assume yours are as well. I probably have fewer facts, but they are important.

Anyway, AMD is most definitely not a patent troll by any sane definition. Un-sane definitions are the shockingly common ones in which a patent troll is any entity who engages in any kind of IP litigation. We'll see how it plays out.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
....Don't think this is a smart move.....

It's hard to feel sorry for a multi-billion dollar corp.

Still nice payday for the lawyers.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
LG good loking, ok quality but gets fast brok takes out all whatts maks price lower. i hate them they only can make good sreans.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
It's hard to feel sorry for a multi-billion dollar corp.

Still nice payday for the lawyers.

Corp lawyers aren't paid by the hour or the case like the ones that ripe off everyday working people when they have a car accident. They are paid on retainer and salary. This is just work for them, not some "I'm going be rich." payday. And while AMD holds assets estimated to be worth 3ish billion, they have been loosing 400 to 500 million in operational cost for years. They are not exact swimming in money.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Suing everyone and rebranding everything, they are learning.

Good luck to them.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
they developed the IP
they used the IP

+1