• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Verifying Installation

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
I've had this happen to me too. But I've noticed this happening only when I have a VPN enabled. As soon as I disabled it, never happens.

As I said, if you are getting constant updating, you have a problem. Look at the steam updates below. It most certainly is NOT constant.

For example, if I keep seeing March 22 update every time Steam wants to restart to apply an update, then there is a reason to run chkdsk.

No, in my case this does not happen. I updated my Steam client a couple of times and it all went well, never got stuck or anything like that.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
No, in my case this does not happen. I updated my Steam client a couple of times and it all went well, never got stuck or anything like that.
No, not stuck. If the date of the update it wants to restart for is always the same, that is what I'm talking about. It will update fine, but the next time you start computer and start Steam, it will show the same update date on the request to restart to apply update. That's the only reason I can see that Steam wants to restart to apply updates every time, which is what I was under the impression you were asking about. As you can see from the second screenshot, Steam only updates about every 3 weeks.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
the date of the current version of Steam is March 22. Mine is also Quite current, i have also gone beyond, since there seems to be some contention as to whether this is an actual issue or not, and submitted a ticket to steam support. My guess is one of two things.

1- this is an intended function of steam, and is simply a part of the startup procedure.and the message is a "multi purpose" message for verifying/updating steam.
2- it is an issue with some component of steam inner workings, but has No real impact on how steam functions, and will be ironed out in a future release of the client.

regardless of which of the two possibilities, or if its even a different issue i havent considered, It will be answered soon ,and we can put this to bed.

and to clarify again,(with this issue this thread is about) the only thing being questioned is why our clients are displaying a short window message about steam verifying/updating. there is nothing else happening in this matter, other than steam launching as it is intended to, no restarts, no anything.

I will post back when I get a response from steam, and I know for a fact im not the only user who has submitted a ticket on this issue, hopefully it will be answered sooner than later.

As I said, if you are getting constant updating
there is NO contant updating, i think your misunderstanding what is happening here. steam updates take more than 2 seconds. this is simply a window popping up with a generic update/verification of the steam client message. nothing more. no update is occurring, it is simply verifying that steam is up TO date,i have submitted a ticket regarding this, and we should have an answer soon hopefully, but this isnt about updating, its just about the message itself. nothing more.

edit
now im not getting it. but it normally always happens upon restart of the entire PC.re edit*
Yup got after pc restart

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Ok, I understand now. I was under the apparently mistaken impression that Steam was always popping up the restart window to apply Steam updates. :oops:

If THAT were happening and it kept showing the same update date (in this case, the current one, March 22), then it would indicate an MBR problem on the Steam drive.

As such, since I now understand the OP issue, no problem then, it is simply Steam telling you it is checking in with home. :)

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
A
Ok, I understand now. I was under the apparently mistaken impression that Steam was always popping up the restart window to apply Steam updates. :oops:

If THAT were happening and it kept showing the same update date (in this case, the current one, March 22), then it would indicate an MBR problem on the Steam drive.

As such, since I now understand the OP issue, no problem then, it is simply Steam telling you it is checking in with home. :)

I think I missed three or so of your posts on page 1, but this morning I went back and read through it, and I'm thinking to myself "what are you talking about ?";)

But then I came to the second page and it occurred to me that it was likely that you were either mistaken or confused about issue.

Easy enough to happen I mean there is posts in here about what you were referring to, but what DOP and myself and several others are experiencing is a rectangular window that pops up for about a second or two just as you launch steam, then it goes away ,& steam behalves normally. I'm pretty sure that it's a legitimate window that's just verifying everything is current but I have read posts on the other forums including steam that may indicate an issue. But it's likely a simple coding issue not security related,& Certainly not user related.

With any luck steam will respond to my ticket sooner than later and we can get an answer to this once and for all. Because it is something that just started happening recently and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on line in either direction as to what it is

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
*update* to all those who may be interested in this issue..

i submitted this ticket to Steam support, regarding this issue,

the response i got was this....

so, it seems the message that the @OP was curious about IS indeed a normal function of Steam (i also attached a screenshot of the actual message to avoid any possibility of confusion on the behalf of support)...the only possible concern would be if the message doesnt go away after a few seconds, but otherwise, all is well, and user should see this message fro mtime to time, or eachtime you start steam.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It's completely normal for our client software to apply same update upon startup over and over again ... this is to ensure you have the latest version installed over the same version. :kookoo:

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
It's completely normal for our client software to apply same update upon startup over and over again ... this is to ensure you have the latest version installed over the same version. :kookoo:

It's not applying any update. It just checks that it is up TO date, nothing more. No update is occurring, that was some confusion earlier on in the thread

Well, that's great. I was worried that this was a software issue but it looks like it's a new feature. I don't really read the changelog everytime steam updates ;)

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Well, that's great. I was worried that this was a software issue but it looks like it's a new feature. I don't really read the changelog everytime steam updates ;)

nor do i.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
It's not really a fix as nothing is broken, this just hides the notification is all.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK

I get this Every time i log in to play a game, I just click the cancel and my game starts