• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen Machine Crashes to a Sequence of FMA3 Instructions

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
What's your point? What are you trying to say? TPU is simply reporting the news. Is this serious if left unfixed? Yes. Should TPU just stop reporting stuffs? No.

I guess if news is synonymous with tabloid material, b/c that's how these posts appear. While the story is real, it's like CNN's breaking news, "Trump didn't tell press he went to dinner!"

So prime, realbench for days, and then games all that use SMT didn't crash once. This program crashed that they admit does not currently support Zen. So what is so deeeeeply wrong with zen? Sound like you are more interested in exaggerating the problem. Your comment was fine until the last sentence where you made it a major flaw. This will likely be fixed with micro code update if anything.

As I've said: it seems people don't understand the issue.

It's not about compatibility or how rare the problematic instruction is used in software.
It's about the fact that this architecture can be crashed with a single line of code, which should not happen, ever. If a CPU can't execute some code, it should handle this exception in a safe way. Ryzen simply dies.
This is a big stability risk and - as far as enterprise segment - a threat that would make Ryzen unacceptable in commercial applications.

Moreover, while it is rumored that AMD knows how to fix this and the microcode update is being developed, AMD gave no official statement nor deadline. It's already been few days since the issue was revealed..

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
As I've said: it seems people don't understand the issue.

It's not about compatibility or how rare the problematic instruction is used in software.
It's about the fact that this architecture can be crashed with a single line of code, which should not happen, ever. If a CPU can't execute some code, it should handle this exception in a safe way. Ryzen simply dies.
This is a big stability risk and - as far as enterprise segment - a threat that would make Ryzen unacceptable in commercial applications.

Moreover, while it is rumored that AMD knows how to fix this and the microcode update is being developed, AMD gave no official statement nor deadline. It's already been few days since the issue was revealed..

This isn't the first CPU to exhibit this sort of behavior. As mentioned: flawed humans, with flawed understanding, making flawed products, in their flawed universe.

I do understand why it is news and I do understand why it is important. But, 3 pages later, it is getting stretched pretty thin.

Future you says: Oh, I guess they fixed it. It wasn't such a big deal after all. Time to move on.

This isn't the first CPU to exhibit this sort of behavior.

But this is a first CPU to do this in a very long time.
Sorry, but an argument that something happened years ago (Coppermine in 2001?) is by no means helping AMD.
Seriously, we became so spoiled by CPUs that just work - having close to none compatibility conflicts, setting themselves up, overclocking automatically etc.
AMD gave us a CPU which once makes you spend weeks on reading about issues, finding a rare RAM that works etc. We're once again waiting for some patches to fix crucial issues...

I totally understand they were committed to maximize performance and this CPU is really squeezed to the limits, but haven't they gone too far?
Quite a few people have reported that this FMA3 issue can be fixed (or greatly limited) by upping voltage. Oh come on... do we deserve being treated like that? :/

Future you says: Oh, I guess they fixed it. It wasn't such a big deal after all. Time to move on.

It's a huge deal and will not be forgotten by reviewers and enthusiasts. I would compare it to the latest Samsung's battery fail. What saves AMD is that - apart from some gamers and geeks, no one really cares (generally speaking not that many know what AMD is).

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
It's about the fact that this architecture can be crashed with a single line of code

Please post the line of code. You don't really have any clue what you are babbling about. So why are you interesting in making a big stink (this isn't your first rodeo either, we all know that). One would assume enterprise chips will fix whatever was found on the first round of PC parts.

Last edited:
Processor Threadripper 1950X (4.0 GHz OC)
Motherboard ASRock X399 Professional Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqtech TR4
Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080, GTX 660TI
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M (1000W)
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2
Software Windows 10
Please post the line of code. You don't really have any clue what you are babbling about.

Said "line of code" would compile differently depending on your choice of compiler and it's settings. BTW how the hell are people NOT GETTING THIS? The problem (now fixed as expected) was that a certain instruction or stream of instructions could hang the CPU. The program that did this, obscure or not, didn't matter. Even if Ryzen didn't know how to process the FMA3 instructions it should have just issued an exception and the OS would have handled it (haha no pun intended!).

This problem wasn't like a game crashing to the desktop, it wasn't even like a BSOD and you had to reboot. Depending on your system, you may or may not have even been able to turn off your computer by holding the on/off button! This happened to me once, guess how.

As I said earlier, this is similar to the Cyrix coma bug or the Pentium F00F bug.

Last edited:
Please post the line of code. You don't really have any clue what you are babbling about. So why are you interesting in making a big stink (this isn't your first rodeo either, we all know that). One would assume enterprise chips will fix whatever was found on the first round of PC parts.

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I guess it would look something like this:
VFMADD132PDx %a, %b, %c

The great thing is that the benchmark used to reveal this bug is open source. Everyone willing to hang their (or - for that matter - someone else's) Ryzen can check how the code forces FMA3 usage. :) Basically, you can force that while compiling (even when coding in a high-level language).

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Honestly, I'm not sure, but I guess it would look something like this:
VFMADD132PDx %a, %b, %c

You're missing the point that you think it's a single line of code.
  • Resolved a condition where an unusual FMA3 code sequence could cause a system hang.

Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10
You're missing the point that you think it's a single line of code.

Umm, you do know how a compiler works, right?

And so what if it takes more than one line of code in your language of choice? Sorry but your being rather pedantic about this.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Sorry but your being rather pedantic about this.

Sure, to counter some grand sweeping mud being thrown at the wall. Get it right if you're gonna do that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I'm pretty sure you can crash ANY system by feeding it with instructions that are not meant for it.

Actually, it's not really that simple at all. You aren't supposed to be able to crash a complete system. A process, sure. A system? No. That's bad.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I'm pretty sure you can crash ANY system by feeding it with instructions that are not meant for it. And we know how "standards" work with instructions. If they really were 100% standard, then they'd exhibit IDENTICAL performance gains on ALL CPU's. Which we know for a fact it's not true...
CPUs have a register that stores flags for representing when something goes wrong and have their own form of exception handling, such as division by zero, overflow, etc. The problem is that if the machine is unstable handling exceptions, how do you recover from recovering from exception processessing? It's not like there is an "Exception, Exception" flag. Since it sounds like this isn't an issue when overclocking, it's possible that bumping the voltage is making the CPU stable enough to not cause a problem, indicating that as far as FMA3 is concerned, the CPU might be running a little lean with respect to voltage to keep it stable.

Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10