• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bioware Commits to Mass Effect: Andromeda Support; Will Act on Feedback

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Mass Effect Andromeda was one of the most awaited launches of 2017, though an argument can be made that the game is currently in beta. The Mass Effect trilogy was one of the best-realized trilogies in gaming - let down, in the eyes of some users, by its ending; but if the indoctrination theory has something to go for it, I think it's one of the best endings that ever took form in this media. The original trilogy really went to show how a universe steeped in narrative, with an overarching plan already aligned for its trio of games, could deliver an intense, high-quality sci-fi experience.

Taking on a whole new galaxy should have been a time to improve and rebuild old systems, not breaking what was so very well done before. Even if the game is a looker, with the Frostbite 3 engine bringing graphics to the forefront, some things have taken a turn for the worst in a bid to save development time and resources. Mass Effect: Andromeda came out in what is an almost universally agreed unfinished state, with facial animations and overall writing suffering in quality compared to the previous installments, and a plethora of bugs fitter to an early access release than a AAA game. Now, Bioware has come forward, committing to act on fans' feedback and making up for the deficits that have no place in a Bioware game.

To wit, the company has pledged a number of patches in the coming months that address the games' numerous flaws, be it physics based (characters have appeared with crates stuck to their heads, enemies have spawned halfway through the ground), increased work on voice-overs, reworking some relationship arcs, and also the all-important facial animations. Because nothing is more immersion-breaking than a character with wonky facial animations and eyes that look like marbles in a spinning well saying something like "My face is tired".

Check out the upcoming list of fixes for the first update from Bioware, v1.05, that incorporates fans' feedback, due to release this Thursday, starting with miscellaneous bug fixes:
  • Fixed an issue with Ryder's movements when running in a zig zag pattern
  • Fixed various collision issues
  • Fixed bugs where music or VO wouldn't play or wasn't correct
  • Fixed issue where global squad mate banter sometimes wasn't firing on UNCs
  • Fixed issue where player was unable to access the Remnant Console Interface after failing decryption multiple times
  • Fixed issue where fast travel is sometimes disabled after recruiting Drack until the player reloads a save
  • Fixed issue where Ryder can become stuck in the start of Biotic Charge Pose
  • Fixes issues related to some saves
  • Fixed issue where objective sometimes becomes un-interactable for players in multiplayer
  • Streaming and stability improvements

And game system and mechanics improvements:
  • Improved tutorial placement
  • Increased inventory limits
  • Single player balance changes: Ammo crates, armor, weapons, nomad, profiles, attacks, and progression
  • Multiplayer balance changes: Weapons, cover, and enemies (check back for detailed notes on balance changes)
  • Improved matchmaking and latency in multiplayer
  • Added option to skip autopilot sequences in the galaxy map
  • Decreased the cost of remnant decryption keys and made them more accessible at merchants
  • Improved logic, timing, and continuity for relationships and story arcs
  • Improved lip-sync and facial acting during conversations, including localized VO
  • Improved the appearance of eyes for human and asari characters

Here's hoping Mass Effect: Andromeda will become the game it was supposed to be at launch. It might even only take a couple of months more, which is... fortunate?

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name #projectEVO v4
Processor AMD R9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair Impact
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO CPU, Alphacool Monsta 240, Alphacool UT60 360, Aquacomputer Aqauero 6X
Memory GSkills Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 CL16 @3600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 500GB NVME M.2, Seagate 4TB 7200rpm HDD (x2)
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey 49" Ultrawide @240hz | ASUS MG279Q 1440P @144hz | HTC VIVE
Case CaseLabs Mercury S5
Audio Device(s) Marantz PM7000N | Schitt Stack UBER | Beyerdynamic DT1990 | Sennheiser HD6XX | HiFi Man HE4XX
Power Supply EVGA 1600 Watt T2
Mouse HyperX Haste, Logi GroX Superlight, Logi GPro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Drop ALT , HHKB Pro 2, RealForce Topre 104UB, Topre Realforce RGB
Software Windows 10 PRO
With all these issues.... not sure we'll ever get that multi-GPU patch that was prematurely announced on the last update... At least it was supposed to be available since AMD had an update ready to go.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
They can't fix bad story and characters tho

I stopped being excited for new game releases a few years ago when it became common for them to be broken out-of-the-box. It's just too frustrating.

Yes, let's applaud a $40m budget game from one of the world's biggest developers that pledges commitment to patch their game MONTHS after release so that it meets the BARE MINIMUM standards you'd expect on release. Well done.

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
I stopped being excited for new game releases a few years ago when it became common for them to be broken out-of-the-box. It's just too frustrating.

Well, you just need to look at the right places to find quality games. Drop the AAA shit and search at publishers who can't let such failures happening or look after fresh developers formed with/by industry veterans. You can still find good quality AAA games, just be more thorough.

As long as it has a market, there will be good quality games.

Of course "good" is a relative term and if you can get beyond graphics and play some of the old gems, you can have a good basis of comparison regarding other aspects like gameplay mechanics, story, design and such. If you dare to put the effort to get the necessary information in a relatively new perspective.

And if you just want to sit down and enjoy the show, then there are the consoles with almost all of their exclusive material. Especially the self made things which are done by the manufacturers' developers. Like Ni-Oh or The Last Guardian on PS4 or the newest Zelda by/on Nintendo.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
To all those commenting, you are commenting on hearsay. Go to the thread here on TPU. The examples given are rare, overhyped, and not seen by all players. What you have is a clear Mass Effect game that is fun and rich in content and quality missions. Yes, 30% of facial animations suck. They will fix it. Does it change the fun factor? No.

Of particular hilarity to me are comments about bad writing and characters. More hyped hearsay, because it's apparently cool these days to jump on hype trains and hate on games, all without one single bit of personal experience actually playing these games. The story is rich and deep, with many side missions interwoven into the main quest in much the same manner as TW3 did so well. The dialogue is well written as well.

Make your own decisions and evaluations. Don't be sheep, led by those who like attention. Buy the game. Then you have credibility to comment. Yes there are some issues, and they are being fixed. But by no means are they endemic to all.

Last edited:
This game is not as bad as people claim it to be, but I do agree that the facial animations can be awkward at times, and I don't really feel myself being drawn toward any of the companions thus far, but I still enjoyed the game. Until... I am stuck at a boss fight, the boss us supposed to spawn on me, but every time I get to it the game just sits there, I can't move, fire, or access any menus. The game is not frozen exactly, because there is still motion, my character is still breathing with the motion associated with that, and environmental and lighting effects still occur, but nothing can be done. I am just completely stuck at this point in the game, my only option being going back to a save, and completely skipping this content for the time being...

System Name #projectEVO v4
Processor AMD R9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair Impact
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO CPU, Alphacool Monsta 240, Alphacool UT60 360, Aquacomputer Aqauero 6X
Memory GSkills Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 CL16 @3600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 500GB NVME M.2, Seagate 4TB 7200rpm HDD (x2)
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey 49" Ultrawide @240hz | ASUS MG279Q 1440P @144hz | HTC VIVE
Case CaseLabs Mercury S5
Audio Device(s) Marantz PM7000N | Schitt Stack UBER | Beyerdynamic DT1990 | Sennheiser HD6XX | HiFi Man HE4XX
Power Supply EVGA 1600 Watt T2
Mouse HyperX Haste, Logi GroX Superlight, Logi GPro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Drop ALT , HHKB Pro 2, RealForce Topre 104UB, Topre Realforce RGB
Software Windows 10 PRO
To all those commenting, you are commenting on hearsay. Go to the thread here on TPU. The examples given are rare, overhyped, and not seen by all players. What you have is a clear Mass Effect game that is fun and rich in content and quality missions. Yes, 30% of facial animations suck. They will fix it. Does it change the fun factor? No.

Of particular hilarity to me are comments about bad writing and characters. More hyped hearsay, because it's apparently cool these days to jump on hype trains and hate on games, all without one single bit of personal experience actually playing these games. The story is rich and deep, with many side missions interwoven into the main quest in much the same manner as TW3 did so well. The dialogue is well written as well.

Make your own decisions and evaluations. Don't be sheep, led by those who like attention. Buy the game. Then you have credibility to comment. Yes there are some issues, and they are being fixed. But by no means are they endemic to all.

I can live with the current state of the animations. You're probably right not everyone will experience the issues. But when you're rocking triple 1440P 144hz monitors and would like to maximize your performance to hit those targets as close as possible, you better believe that's an opportunity that I'd like to take.

The odd thing is the mismanagement of the last patch enabling a feature that wasn't available in the public release. There was clearly a communication disconnect between the devs and AMD with this.

Source: https://community.amd.com/thread/213759

System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh

Lmao please tell me you're joking? o_O

If not go shill some place else please :shadedshu:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Lmao please tell me you're joking? o_O

If not go shill some place else please :shadedshu:
No schilling at all. I've put in over 100 hours, so I have a real good sense of what is hyped FUD, and what isn't.

Have you legitimately played it? If not, then you are nothing but a troll who knows how to repeat Internet haters that love attention.

No schilling at all. I've put in over 100 hours, so I have a real good sense of what is hyped FUD, and what isn't.

Have you legitimately played it? If not, then you are nothing but a troll who knows how to repeat Internet haters that love attention.

I have played it also, not 100 hours, but enough hours to know that it's a mess and the MANY issues have seriously hampered my enjoyment of the game in a significant way... and this is coming from someone who is a huge Mass Effect fan and thoroughly enjoyed the original trilogy. The mere fact certain technical aspects of ME3 are superior to Andromeda speaks volumes! And yes, they really are, that's not being hyperbolic! It also IS badly written and cliched... just because you don't think so doesn't mean it isn't.

I honestly don't know how you can defend it under the circumstances. $40m budget and they release in this state!? It's simply inexcusable. Anyone who posts on the internet for attention is either retarded or 11 years old, and the MANY who are deriding Andromeda are clearly not all in such a category. I'd even argue you don't NEED to play the game to see how badly they screwed this up. Yes that may put an unfair emphasis on specific events in what is a very expansive game, but just by watching game clips you can see there are A LOT of those events, far more than there should have been given the time and budget they had. The mere fact they are now promising to rectify so much is evidence enough of the fact they jumped the gun on release. EA/Bioware aren't even trying to defend themselves here, so it's rather pathetic you are wading in. Of course, some people just have very low standards and are easily pleased.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
I have played it also, not 100 hours, but enough hours to know that it's a mess and the MANY issues have seriously hampered my enjoyment of the game in a significant way... and this is coming from someone who is a huge Mass Effect fan and thoroughly enjoyed the original trilogy. The mere fact certain technical aspects of ME3 are superior to Andromeda speaks volumes! And yes, they really are, that's not being hyperbolic! It also IS badly written and cliched... just because you don't think so doesn't mean it isn't.

I honestly don't know how you can defend it under the circumstances. $40m budget and they release in this state!? It's simply inexcusable. Anyone who posts on the internet for attention is either retarded or 11 years old, and the MANY who are deriding Andromeda are clearly not all in such a category. I'd even argue you don't NEED to play the game to see how badly they screwed this up. Yes that may put an unfair emphasis on specific events in what is a very expansive game, but just by watching game clips you can see there are A LOT of those events, far more than there should have been given the time and budget they had. The mere fact they are now promising to rectify so much is evidence enough of the fact they jumped the gun on release. EA/Bioware aren't even trying to defend themselves here, so it's rather pathetic you are wading in. Of course, some people just have very low standards and are easily pleased.
Since you say you have played the game, I will be happy to discuss it with you. I can tell you though, I've had exactly 2 issues, which are intermittent. But which will need fixing. I'll gladly share that info with you. They sure are not game or immersion breaking. 1) Occasionally, like every 4 hours or so, Ryder's face suddenly turns into Drew Barrymore making weird mouth shapes. 2) Every other time exiting the Nomad my companions drop out of the sky next to me like a drop ship.

That whole 1st section of "problems" that they are fixing? I don't have any of those problems, so I hope their patch doesn't do the opposite for me.

The third is not something broken, but something they were lazy about: 90% of Asari look the same. I have no lip/syncs or eye problems, so don't need that fixed either.

And... just because YOU say the writing is bad doesn't mean it is. Works both ways you know. ;)

Also, you yourself are one of the bad hype people and lose credibility on the subject. You say they are fixing the game "months" after release. Yeah buddy, March 14th release to April 6th is really "months." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
All they have to do is fix the eyes and general rigging of the rest of the body, fallout 4 mouth animations are horrendous but the eyes and the rest of the animations are good enough no one gave this level of flak for fo4. They just said well it's Bethesda and moved on

Last edited:
System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
How about including an ACTUAL customization character creation, not just slightly altering a bunch of UGLY as sh!t pre-made models!

:banghead:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
You mean decent models like this?:

Since you say you have played the game, I will be happy to discuss it with you. I can tell you though, I've had exactly 2 issues, which are intermittent. But which will need fixing. I'll gladly share that info with you. They sure are not game or immersion breaking. 1) Occasionally, like every 4 hours or so, Ryder's face suddenly turns into Drew Barrymore making weird mouth shapes. 2) Every other time exiting the Nomad my companions drop out of the sky next to me like a drop ship.

That whole 1st section of "problems" that they are fixing? I don't have any of those problems, so I hope their patch doesn't do the opposite for me.

The third is not something broken, but something they were lazy about: 90% of Asari look the same. I have no lip/syncs or eye problems, so don't need that fixed either.

And... just because YOU say the writing is bad doesn't mean it is. Works both ways you know. ;)

Also, you yourself are one of the bad hype people and lose credibility on the subject. You say they are fixing the game "months" after release. Yeah buddy, March 14th release to April 6th is really "months." :rolleyes:

My comment in respect to 'months' is that it WILL be months by the time they actually get around to fully addressing these things. Doesn't change the fact it shouldn't have been released in this state.

And no, sorry, bad writing IS bad writing. That's not to say someone can't still like it, but if you actually study story/script writing in any depth, you will come to understand how wrong your statement is... there is no 'both ways' about that.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
but if you actually study story/script writing in any depth, you will come to understand how wrong your statement is... there is no 'both ways' about that.
So my minor in English Literature with a concentration in Creative Writing wouldn't have anything to do with that, huh, Mr. Know It All? :rolleyes: Thus the dangers of insulting people personally you know nothing about.

Literature has ALWAYS been opinion based in how it is received and reviewed. There has never been a governing body that stated what constitutes "good writing."

So my minor in English Literature with a concentration in Creative Writing wouldn't have anything to do with that, huh, Mr. Know It All? :rolleyes: Thus the dangers of insulting people personally you know nothing about.

Literature has ALWAYS been opinion based in how it is received and reviewed. There has never been a governing body that stated what constitutes "good writing."

Lol @ governing body... no, of course there isn't, but there ARE accepted standards and criteria that constitute GOOD writing, and ones which constitute BAD. If you are honestly suggesting otherwise then I call foul of your English Lit claim and posit that you must still be in primary school. You are so utterly and completely wrong to suggest bad writing can't be called out for just that, regardless of what someone's opinion is. It's genuinely absurd you would even suggest that actually.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,OCZ Vector 512GB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
Yes, let's applaud a $40m budget game from one of the world's biggest developers that pledges commitment to patch their game MONTHS after release so that it meets the BARE MINIMUM standards you'd expect on release. Well done.

I'm sorry, but MONTHS? It launched TWO WEEKS AGO.

The fact that we are getting a patch today that addresses many of the issues, just two weeks after release is a good sign. Also a sign that the team stayed at work and didn't take the usual post launch leave that many do.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Lol @ governing body... no, of course there isn't, but there ARE accepted standards and criteria that constitute GOOD writing, and ones which constitute BAD. If you are honestly suggesting otherwise then I call foul of your English Lit claim and posit that you must still be in primary school. You are so utterly and completely wrong to suggest bad writing can't be called out for just that, regardless of what someone's opinion is. It's genuinely absurd you would even suggest that actually.
Nice doubling down of your insult after I already advised you of the insult. Reported.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

The vast majority of people who scream about 'bad writing' actually mean something else, and that is 'lacking narrative'. The writing of the game can be good but if the progression of the main story leaves things to be desired (or if you just don't like overall plot entirely), that is easily passed off as 'bad writing'. The two are however entirely different things.

Good example of this: every single Vault in Fallout games. You enter each Vault and when you read up on all the stuff you find in there, it tells you a mini-story of what went on. These mini-stories are great writing. But in the overall narrative of the game, they have no value, they just 'flesh out' the setting a bit.

Beyond that, why is this such a toxic discussion? There's absolutely no need for it and it doesn't add to credibility...

For me personally, I'm not buying this game at full price, I still have to get over the DA:Inquisition cloning and I'll let Bioware put out some fixes first.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Nice counter. "I'm telling!" Primary school confirmed.
No, you simply do not know how to be mature and have a productive discussion without resorting to personal insults, which is, btw counter to forum rules. This illustrates a lack of debating skills.

Last edited: