• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Ryzen build no video output

System Name Air Cooled Caselabs BH8
Processor Intel Coffee Lake 8700K @ 4.7
Motherboard MSI Gaming M5
Cooling Noctua D15s, 5x 140mm Noctua Chromax, 1x 120mm Noctua Chromax, 2x 80mm Noctua fans
Memory G. Skill Trident Z RGB series 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
Storage Samsung EVO 840 250gb SSD, Samung EVO PRO 256gb SSD, 2 TB WD Black Edition HDD.
Display(s) 24" Asus Gaming ROG 144hz
Case Black Caselabs BH8
Power Supply 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSU with individually sleeved black cables
Mouse Logitech Wireless G403
Keyboard Corsair Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Hello TPU. Thank you for reading this post.
This is a complex scenario and I will try my best to simplify what is going on.

I built a new R5 Ryzen PC three days ago. Specs include a 1500x, GTX 1070, DDR4 G-skill ram with a gold rated EVGA PSU.

I would like to add that the CPU was packaged wrong and had three bent pins on the edges. I re-adjusted the pins appropriately and proceeded to complete the build. After completing the build my PC would turn on and off every ~15 seconds. Auto rebooting of the system occurred with a B350 ASROCK MOBO. I tested the new EVGA PSU on another system and the PSU had no issues at all. With my general knowledge of building PC's I had a feeling the mobo was the culprit. I RMA'D the mobo and purchased a new MOBO off amazon, MSI B350 PC Mate.

Today I installed the new MSI board. The system powered on and did not shut off at all. I installed all the competents in the case. All peripheral components (keyboard, mouse) light up and register, however, the output video did not register. I had a feeling the GPU was DOA so I installed it into a working system I use for general daily tasks. The GPU worked fine. I also reset the CMOS and changed the ram to different ram slots. Still no output video. So at this point I know the PSU, GPU, and MOBO are not the issue.

MSI MOBO has a LED Debug system on the MOBO. When I start the system, the only LED that stays on for ~5 seconds is the CPU. The GPU, DRAM, and HDD LEDS do not light up at all.

Therefore, based on the bent pins and no video output, including no beep of any kind and no posting, I believe the issue here is the CPU. When I turn off the system the only LED to light up on the debug LED system is CPU.

What is going on? I tested the GPU, PSU, HDD, SSD, wifi card, CD drive etc and it all works just fine.

These are all new parts.

Last edited:
Didn't you answer your own question? CPU?

You tested basically everything else, right? Either that, your whole build is cursed to begin with.

Cooling Noctua D15s, 5x 140mm Noctua Chromax, 1x 120mm Noctua Chromax, 2x 80mm Noctua fans
Storage Samsung EVO 840 250gb SSD, Samung EVO PRO 256gb SSD, 2 TB WD Black Edition HDD.
Case Black Caselabs BH8
Power Supply 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSU with individually sleeved black cables
Software Windows 10
I think it's the CPU. I honestly have no idea. This whole build has stressed me out beyond belief. And of course it's for my brother :/.

Will no video output occur due to a faulty and or fried CPU ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible due to today's CPU having PCI-E lanes coming directly from CPU itself.

Case Black Caselabs BH8
Software Windows 10
Possible due to today's CPU having PCI-E lanes coming directly from CPU itself.

Interesting. What a headache.. Thank you.

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5800x
Motherboard B550i Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Custom Cooling
Memory 32Gb Patriot Viper 3600 RGB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ventus Trio OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO
Display(s) Specterpro 34uw100
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Gold SFX
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Ducky One 2
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Might be a board short. Try running the system outside the case.

Case Black Caselabs BH8
Software Windows 10
Might be a board short. Try running the system outside the case.

Wouldn't a short cause the system to shut off automatically ? The current status of this build is that it runs but no video output at all. The previous MOBO I had purchased shut off automatically in seconds.

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5800x
Motherboard B550i Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Custom Cooling
Memory 32Gb Patriot Viper 3600 RGB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ventus Trio OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO
Display(s) Specterpro 34uw100
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Power Supply Cooler Master V750 Gold SFX
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Ducky One 2
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Wouldn't a short cause the system to shut off automatically ? The current status of this build is that it runs but no video output at all. The previous MOBO I had purchased shut off automatically in seconds.

Not all the time. I remember thr same thing happened to me quite a while back and found there was a standoff left on the case causing the shirt. You can also try loosening the cpu cooler it might be too tight.

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
Are you the guy whose thread got locked down yesterday? The one making it after they had sent the motherboard back?
Because if so..

Man if you had bent pins, especially on these chips, being so thin.. how could you have decided it was the motherboard in the first place?
Take the CPU out and make sure they're as straightened as they can be. Had you checked the common troubleshooting, for any company, you'd have seen that number culprit 1 for no signal is bent pins.

If you're sure they are as good as you can get them, you learned a hard lesson. You RMA what arrives "broken" (in your case the CPU), not what you think is at fault without reason (ergo your motherboard).
Try to RMA the chip and pray they'll take it.

And again, best of luck.

Btw, did you have the same issue with the previous mobo? If not, maybe you're in luck and it's not the chip? Just maybe* though; have seen this first hand, takes a while to lose signal with bent pins, doesn't happen instantly. Could work for a couple of days and them poof, game over.

*maybe because it's also possible it's the RAM; it too can cause this and i see you haven't mentioned testing it at all. Take all the modules out, make sure there's no dust or wrapper leftovers and put them back in. Then pick one module and alternate slots, just to make sure you didn't have any discharge.

Last edited:
System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
This isn't the first time I've seen complaints about bad packaging for Ryzen CPUs, another builder received his banging around loose in the box (his was OK). Many others said the box was unsealed, supposedly caused by bad glue on the sticker. How hard is it to design a container that works? I would have RMAed it as soon as I saw bent pins.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
I would have RMAed it as soon as I saw bent pins.

+1

Its peculiar how the details changed with the 2 threads.

Case Black Caselabs BH8
Software Windows 10
This isn't the first time I've seen complaints about bad packaging for Ryzen CPUs, another builder received his banging around loose in the box (his was OK). Many others said the box was unsealed, supposedly caused by bad glue on the sticker. How hard is it to design a container that works? I would have RMAed it as soon as I saw bent pins.

Thanks man. Makes me feel better about this situation. Toms hardware members have had two instances where CPU came with bent pins. Should've taken that into consideration when I opened the CPU box. Lesson learned.

Yeah I am.

I bought a different mobo and RMA'd the old one.

I clearly stated I did not bend the pins. The CPU came inverted. Check some newegg and other reviews, R5's have been received with bent pins.

No I did not have the same issue with the last mobo. The last mobo wouldn't stay on for more than 10 seconds. No indicator lights or peripherals worked. The new mobo I bought stays on and everything appears to be working.

Appreciate the help and response. Thank you.

Are you the guy whose thread got locked down yesterday? The one making it after they had sent the motherboard back?
Because if so..

Man if you had bent pins, especially on these chips, being so thin.. how could you have decided it was the motherboard in the first place?
Take the CPU out and make sure they're as straightened as they can be. Had you checked the common troubleshooting, for any company, you'd have seen that number culprit 1 for no signal is bent pins.

If you're sure they are as good as you can get them, you learned a hard lesson. You RMA what arrives "broken" (in your case the CPU), not what you think is at fault without reason (ergo your motherboard).
Try to RMA the chip and pray they'll take it.

And again, best of luck.

Btw, did you have the same issue with the previous mobo? If not, maybe you're in luck and it's not the chip? Just maybe* though; have seen this first hand, takes a while to lose signal with bent pins, doesn't happen instantly. Could work for a couple of days and them poof, game over.

*maybe because it's also possible it's the RAM; it too can cause this and i see you haven't mentioned testing it at all. Take all the modules out, make sure there's no dust or wrapper leftovers and put them back in. Then pick one module and alternate slots, just to make sure you didn't have any discharge.

+1

Its peculiar how the details changed with the 2 threads.

The details have stayed the same. Sorry for any confusion here, is not my intention.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
your original thread made no mention of a broken CPU which is why you were challenged and the thread closed.

I never made any hint that you bent the pins, i merely asked the question.....you got the hump and the thread was closed.

I can nearly remember the words the mod used.......bear with me.

Edit......seems the original thread was closed AND deleted.

Case Black Caselabs BH8
Software Windows 10
your original thread made no mention of a broken CPU which is why you were challenged and the thread closed.

I never made any hint that you bent the pins, i merely asked the question.....you got the hump and the thread was closed.

I can nearly remember the words the mod used.......bear with me.

Edit......seems the original thread was closed AND deleted.

I did mention towards the end of the thread that the CPU had three bent pins. I straightened them out and it seated properly. It came inverted in its package and didn't seat properly at first. After closely examining the CPU post pin adjustment all pins were there.

I was going to respond in my previous thread. Before I could do that a moderator locked the thread, and apparently now deleted it. Been here ten years and that's never happened. But I was going to apologize for making an abrupt statement like that. So I will here, sorry for making that statement.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
fair enough

Case Black Caselabs BH8
Software Windows 10
Only light to flash and stay lit for ~10 seconds. Thought this would be helpful. Will update when I get the replacement CPU. Thankfully mobo works.

After spending an hour on the phone with a phenomenal MSI customer service rep the PC works!

What was the issue? Faulty VGA cable. I have a modular PSU, swapped VGA cables, computer posts and runs.

The last motherboard was indeed faulty. To future Ryzen builders - check your pins, learn from my mishaps.

Thank you MSI. I Should have bought this mobo to begin with. DEBUG LED system is so helpful. Thanks to all the members here and sorry for any confusion and or offenses. Was not my intention. Thank you all.

Attachments

• IMG_2325.JPG
    IMG_2325.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 814
  • IMG_2328.PNG
    IMG_2328.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 681
  • IMG_2330.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 671
Last edited by a moderator:
System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
Wait a minute.. you told us you had checked the GPU, prior to contacting MSI; and that it worked fine!? lol

Dude you really are something ^^

Case Black Caselabs BH8
Software Windows 10
I did check the GPU on my other system. Worked fine. Should have been more clear. He told me to hook HDMI in it not display port. Once I did the VGA light came on. So it was getting a signal from the monitor. Then I was instructed to change out the cable. Walla.

PC building at times isn't straightforward. Things happen.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
@drade - I feel for you, man. Ryzen is basically a crap shoot at this point, and even if you're lucky enough to get working parts, there's no guarantee they'll work together (even if they're on the QVL). I was on overclock.net looking at their Ryzen 7 thread (978 pages, 9780 posts!) http://www.overclock.net/t/1624139/official-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-1700-owners-club-4ghz-club - I was amazed and appalled at the sheer number of people who were having problems with Ryzen, and at some of the weird problems they were having. It's way too long for casual reading, but I would read it every word if I had a box full of Ryzen parts that weren't playing nice together. They also seem to be about helping each other, not as toxic as some sites. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Ryzen is bound to be toxic for a simple reason: When someone/thing raises from dead, it's toxic. Zombie is a good example.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Ryzen is bound to be toxic for a simple reason: When someone/thing raises from dead, it's toxic. Zombie is a good example.

Except Ryzen has more to do with with New HoRyzen, as in the probe. Remember my article? ;)

And a Phoenix isn't toxic (is flammable though). Pluto might be, however.

Except Ryzen has more to do with with New HoRyzen, as in the probe. Remember my article?

And a Phoenix isn't Toxic (is flammable though). Pluto might be.

I read it and, to be honest, I didn't take it to mi heart.

To me, Ryzen is risen from dead. It's just like how I think you are a frog despite of you being a human male most likely.
I basically believe what I wanna believe. :p

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
In before our lovely confused batman, @erocker, locks this.

23rd century should be interesting. Too bad I ain't gonna be alive to see it.
There's no confusion other than people confusing 'on topic' for 'off topic' far too often.