• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Netgear Orbi for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoutTime

Morning all,

Is anyone using or has anyone used a Netgear Orbi (Router and Satellite) for gaming?

We are moving house and the new house is not networked with Ethernet LAN cables. It's a fair size and I don't think a normal router will have the range or throughput for gaming without excessive ping/latency.

My plan is to connect the Orbi Router to the modem in the hallway and then position the Orbi Satelite in the Study directly above upstairs. The Router and Satelite will connect using the higher 5Ghz 1733Mbps dedicated backhaul. I will connect my PC and Laptop to the satelite via ethernet. So although I will be wired the connection speed will be limited by the real world backhaul speed between the Router and the Satelite. A number of users have reported that they get a real world backhaul speed of 575Mbps. So it should be fast enough, it's just the latency/ping which concerns me.

My sons' XBoxes will connect via wifi but I'm not concerned as they already use wifi and the Orbi will be better then the BT SmartHub we currently have.

Many thanks in advance.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
My previous home was very large, a normal router handled it pretty good. How many floors/ sqft?depending on layout/ materials it mat very well be fine. Unless this is happening either way ofc

Also are you sure your Internet service provider offers a package that will provide those speeds?just so the cart doesn't end up before the horse here

also you may run into issue connecting the router to the Satelite via 5Ghz if its between floors/walls, as 5Ghz isnt great when it comes to much distance, obstruction.

Last edited:

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
Orbi is one of the best mesh systems out there, for gaming id still prefer a wired connection or even gigabit powerline if the home is fairly new. I don't think you will too much issue but as you said, latency might be a bit higher.

BoutTime

The house is 15 years old and about 2000 sqft.

The the backhaul frequency is isolated and used only for connection between the Router and satellite. And over 500Mbps real world is faster than any power lines can get close to in the real world as far as i know. It's the latency i wondered about. The laptop and PC will connect via ethernet to the satellite.

Thanks for your replies.

From the Netgear orbi Forum.......

"In my experience, the satellite backhaul adds roughly 2-3ms of latency."

Job done, I'me going to pull the trigger on an Orbi.

Thanks for your help fellas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.