• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What can I do to make this 'better'?

System Name Haximus Pro
Processor i7 3770K
Motherboard Asus Maximus Gene V
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1060 OC 6GB
Storage 2 x 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD; 2 x 3TB WD Caviar Green
Case In Win 805
Power Supply Seasonic X460FL
My first post here, and I'm not the usual uneducated guy who doesn't read anything etc.

I'm just seeing if there is something glaring that I am missing.

First up, this is a build from 2013, which was built into a Mac Pro 2010 case, so I had to do quick a bit of modding to the case and internals. Since that build, most of the hardware has been moved into an In Win 805 tempered glass case.

I've recently upgraded the GPU from a Gigabyte Windforce GTX780 OC 3GB, to an Asus Strix GTX 1060 OC 6GB.

I'm running the XMP profile in the bios, with boost speed of the CPU at 4.6GHz, the RAM is running at 1600.

I usually run macOS (Sierra 10.12.4 at the moment), and dual boot to Windows 10 Pro for gaming.

I've played around with overclocking, and really need to start looking at manual overclocking, and not using the XMP profile etc.

My main issue is overclocking the RAM (32GB of Corsair Vengeance). It's running at 1600MHz currently, but when I change it to anything above that, my system won't boot. I have either reboot or clear the CMOS (easy with the button at the back on my Asus Maximus Gene V mobo).

What could be causing this to happen? I've tried it years ago when I got the board, and a few times in between. I've also tried it last night, all with the same result.

In general, I would like to see how far I can push it, whilst keeping it stable. I have good CPU cooling; my original build had the Noctua DH-14, then I had a AIO liquid cooler (which was great, except when it leaked all over my GPU. At least no permanent damage was caused), now I have a Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK which is very similar to the Noctua.

I'm running quite a few fans in there, and never have any operating issues. My GPU is new, and runs a lot cooler compared to the old 780.

Any tips or advice about my RAM overclocking would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
More ram sticks = worse overclocking. No real gains from overclocking it anyway. You're basically capped off.

System Name Haximus Pro
Processor i7 3770K
Case In Win 805
Yes, I am using all 4 slots and running the max 32GB this mobo allows.

Shame.

Is it worth playing around with overclocking the CPU and GPU within the bios? Don't get me wrong, this rig is unbelievably quick, and renders in Cinema4D wonderfully.

I've never had any issues, but I like to get the most out of everything.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
you wont get anything from ram oc.
intel cpus that use ddr3 are capped at 1600mhz by cpu memory controler and dont get any performance gains from ram clocks higher then 1600.
there was tpu review that was testing intel and amd cpus with different ram speeds but cant find it atm

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
That platform is hardly capped at 1600mhz... the problem is with the amount of ram and the stress it puts on the imc.

System Name Haximus Pro
Processor i7 3770K
Case In Win 805
you wont get anything from ram oc.
intel cpus that use ddr3 are capped at 1600mhz by cpu memory controler and dont get any performance gains from ram clocks higher then 1600.
there was tpu review that was testing intel and amd cpus with different ram speeds but cant find it atm

Thanks, that would explain the non booting system.

It's a strange one, as I've read the the CPU can run higher RAM speeds than the 1333/1600 quoted. People even here in this forum say they run at 2133 or higher with overclocking.

This is why I always end up going back to revisit this.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
Thanks, that would explain the non booting system.

It's a strange one, as I've read the the CPU can run higher RAM speeds than the 1333/1600 quoted. People even here in this forum say they run at 2133 or higher with overclocking.

This is why I always end up going back to revisit this.
ya it can run higher clock ram throught xmp profiles but you wont see any performance improvement over what you have atm at 1600
ocing ram isnt just simple bump the clocks and it is good to go.
most likely your pc cant boot because ram cant run clocks you set with default timings.

That platform is hardly capped at 1600mhz... the problem is with the amount of ram and the stress it puts on the imc.
ya bad wording. performance was capped at 1600. iirc there was test done by @cadaveca and was comparison between 8350 and 3770k with different speeds ram. conclusion was that intel's performance was capped at 1600 amd's at 1866 and even thou both sides was advertising support for higher speed ram (with oc as well) performance gains over cap speeds were neglectable.
if only i can remember title of the review :banghead: