• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon Vega in the League of GTX 1080 Ti and TITAN Xp

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Right, and when NVIDIA releases same info, everyone jumps on it as absolute fact...
NVidia announces/showcases a new card and 1-2 weeks later boom, it's on the shelves. AMD anounces a new card 6 months before release, and then gives you a couple of videos, some PR crap, a shitload of slides, more videos, "leaks", demo previews running game1, more slides, video, demo running game2 and so on...
That's the only thing I love about nVidia...

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
if you count the number of hype AMD failed to deliver, I think it's quite obvious compared to Nvidia, especially in the GPU department.
Well Hype is what users create. AMD or any other company is just presenting a product. So please stop being a user and put yourself together. I'm tired of this Hype this Hype that. It is so boring. Every time somebody has a different point of view or disagrees with something there must be a Hype hypothesis in the content of people who's wishful thinking that what they already bought is better no matter what. Disappointing really.

NVidia announces/showcases a new card and 1-2 weeks later boom, it's on the shelves. AMD anounces a new card 6 months before release, and then gives you a couple of videos, some PR crap, a shitload of slides, more videos, "leaks", demo previews running game1, more slides, video, demo running game2 and so on...
you think that's lovable? Maybe same thing that we should love intel for introduction of new gen CPU's with 2% IPC gains over previous with a tremendously high price point. I can see similarities with those 2.
That's what I see in NV strategy, which last year shows flawlessly.
1070, 1080, Titan X(pascal) 1080TI, Titan Xp new. Think of the price tags on those when released.

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I'm looking forward to Vega release.

I'm optimistic Vega will indeed perform as well as the title says. If AMD plays there cards right and price it in the under $500 mark its a win win for use the consumer.

I'm rooting for ya AMD so bring on the power and its OK if power usage is higher then some want. I can afford the extra dollar a month running it lol

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I'm looking forward to Vega release.

I'm optimistic Vega will indeed perform as well as the title says. If AMD plays there cards right and price it in the under $500 mark its a win win for use the consumer.

I'm rooting for ya AMD so bring on the power and its OK if power usage is higher then some want. I can afford the extra dollar a month running it lol
I mostly agree with everything what you wrote.
Vega doesn't have to surpass 1080ti in performance. It has to keep the good FPS level in 2k,4k screens with modern games. Low power has practically no value for me since I can afford to pay for it where I live. Low price and performance delivered is what matters here. At least for me. And of course future potential which I can see in better colors than NVidia's cards.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
They generally say "I cannot comment on unreleased products."
or.. that statement is true, but on one title at one res and set of settings... cherry picking.

Anyhoo, thats good news if true as i pegged it to be between 1080 and 1080ti...

And when has AMD failed to deliver?
wait... what? Was that a joke???? You must be new... im earthdog...great to meet you... now look around the forums a bit and see the pleathora of dissapointment from amds marketing we have seen.

Exactly. People just expect Vega to be 2x better than GTX 1080Ti. Why? It's a card meant to compete with that, not to be next generation. People got spoiled of products releases of both vendors within time of 1-2 months. Times have changed and frankly, it's nothing wrong with competition releasing similar product later. Some just prefer one over another based on metrics other than just raw performance. And yeah, AMD does have many things better than NVIDIA and aren't necessarely performance bound directly.

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
"looks really nice" but don't hold your breath :roll:

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Exactly. People just expect Vega to be 2x better than GTX 1080Ti. Why? It's a card meant to compete with that, not to be next generation. People got spoiled of products releases of both vendors within time of 1-2 months. Times have changed and frankly, it's nothing wrong with competition releasing similar product later. Some just prefer one over another based on metrics other than just raw performance. And yeah, AMD does have many things better than NVIDIA and aren't necessarely performance bound directly.
who expects that??? Rej, you ok this morning??

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Are you? Just read some posts back. Everyone be like "OMG WHAT, JUST GTX 1080 LEVELS OMG OMG OMG".

Actually, I don't see any post insinuating that. You're just blowing things out of proportion a little bit. A lot of people are actually waiting for Vega and hoping it will deliver comparable performance to Nvidia's top GPUs. It's just that this news isn't really anything much to go by. That's it.

Not much point in this release if it is on Pascal level a year after Pascal launch, this makes this release and all the waiting irrelevant. It was rather obvious from the beginning but still you could suspect that if Vega is releasing year after Pascal and likely 6 months before Volta, it will be notably more powerful than Pascal. All the hype and "wait for Vega" only to get the same a year later, how hilarious :D

Actually, I don't see any post insinuating that. You're just blowing things out of proportion a little bit. A lot of people are actually waiting for Vega and hoping it will deliver comparable performance to Nvidia's top GPUs. It's just that this news isn't really anything much to go by. That's it.

Except posts 8, 18 and 21, I couldn't be bothered to look further...

Are you? Just read some posts back. Everyone be like "OMG WHAT, JUST GTX 1080 LEVELS OMG OMG OMG".

Yeah I'm confident it won't be just gtx 1080 levels, heck that is _old_ gpu released 27.05.2016, so almost year old gpu(=~ year old if vega really be released 25.05.2017).

Rumored die size makes it bigger than gp102 and it's on a little bit denser manufacturing process of GF, so there's more transistors/mm² too. But that does not tell much, vega might just have fatter shaders for fp64 and compute(If amd have not take nvidia way to make two chips one vega for compute and other vega for gaming).

Well we can only wait and see(and try to filter hype out of the rumors).

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Except posts 8, 18 and 21, I couldn't be bothered to look further...

What?! Those posts didn't imply anything about how Vega performance may/could sucks. They just, I'm assuming (like me) find that there's not much to proof to go on other than what Don Woligrosky stated "Vega performance compared to the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti and the Titan Xp looks really nice,".

Polglass

It has it's limitations - I have one. Ryzen's slower clocks do make a tangible difference at 1080p res with moderate settings. I ran the Superposition bench at 1080p Extreme and got the 4th highest score (got Ryzen into the charts). Ran it at Medium and GPU usage plummetted to 70-80% average (from 99% at Extreme).

Clocks. It'll all be in the clocks for Vega and with all that hardware...... Time will tell.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
What?! Those posts didn't imply anything about how Vega performance may/could sucks. They just, I'm assuming (like me) find that there's not much to proof to go on other than what Don Woligrosky stated "Vega performance compared to the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti and the Titan Xp looks really nice,".
And really nice is a fairly broad term as well. Could be 10% slower, could be between the Ti and TXP. Could have better price/perf than nV...

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Well, 1080 is last year's tech, Vega is 2017. And only expected to be "in the league of".

To me, what happens at the top is rather irrelevant, I'm only interested in what trickles down to midrange. But for someone buying high-end, judging by this guy's words, high-end Vega isn't going to be an upgrade reason.

Polglass

I often become frustrated when there is a cpu or gpu comparison. It's always seems to be i7 6700k or i7 7700k compared to every AMD Ryzen cpu that has been released. Doesn't Intel manufacture anything else or must these comparisons always rely on Intel's best clocking cpu against AMD's least powerful to their best. Is there pressure from Intel for analysts to do this? We all know that these two Intel CPU's clock to almost 5.0 ghz so it's a win straight away on single core fps comparisons. Then there is the Nvidia comparisons. We all know that Radeon GPU's don't clock as high as Nvidia's 10 series of cards. But when I see a GTX1070 compared to the RX480 or RX580 clocked up to 2,000 ghz to prove that their card can achieve 300 fps compared to 200 fps for the Radeon. Who the fuck cares. Sure, Nvidia wins, but do they really. The maximum card speed should be no more than the monitor clock speed. The maximum these days is 144 mhz and both AMD and Nvidia shoe it in. Then there is Radeon Chill for the AMD card which allows users to set maximum and minimum fps speeds for the game. What a fantastic addition to the card with such finesse and control. The GPU is slowed down, power and heat are both reduced. Amazing tech.

Then there was the Nvidia fanboy who bragged about how his GTX 1080 which he overclocked to 2,000+ mhz was better than the AMD Radeon RX Vega. What a fuckwit. Who in their right mind would run their GPU clock so fast on a continuous basis. The Vega card was an engineering sample most likely running with a conservative clock playing Doom. I saw 70-80 fps continuous with an occasional dip to 60 fps running 4k on ultra settings. Not shabby at all.

I can go on and on particularly on how DX12 and Vulkan favour AMD and how DX11 favours Nvidia. Just more absolute rubbish.

Polglass

At least AMD give a full breakdown of the technology and methodology they have used. Nvidia give you nothing.

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
*My Official Subject Matter Expert analysis tells me that....*

AMD RX Vega could either...

Perform amazing on par or exceed the GTX 1080ti

or NOT!

End Analysis! ;)

System Name Purple Stuff
Processor Intel Core I7-8700K @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung EVO 960 500 GB, HDD 4TB WD Black, SSD Crucial MX400 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU 27" x2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Power Supply Seasonic Focus + Platinum 850 W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 700
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software Win 10 Pro
Is it me or AMD's at the point of falling 1 gen behind Nvidia? If VEGA is any good I'm pretty sure Volta will be out to counter it by the end of this year. Can't see AMD pulling a rabbit out of the hat on this one though either way...

Deuz

"Vega performance compared to the Geforce GTX 1080 Ti and the Titan Xp looks really nice,"

When AMD's Raja Koduri took to the stage during the unveiling of the RX 480 to say that, with two of them in Crossfire, they were faster than Nvidia's GTX 1080 and would cost far less. Everyone was intrigued.

Maybe two VEGA gpus can looks really nice compared to 1080Ti and Titan?

Polglass

Is it me or AMD's at the point of falling 1 gen behind Nvidia? If VEGA is any good I'm pretty sure Volta will be out to counter it by the end of this year. Can't see AMD pulling a rabbit out of the hat on this one though either way...
Once again, how good is Volta going to be. AMD has stated "poor Volta" in their advertising. They don't do it without a reason. Time for you to re-think your response.

System Name Purple Stuff
Processor Intel Core I7-8700K @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung EVO 960 500 GB, HDD 4TB WD Black, SSD Crucial MX400 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU 27" x2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Power Supply Seasonic Focus + Platinum 850 W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 700
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software Win 10 Pro
Once again, how good is Volta going to be. AMD has stated "poor Volta" in their advertising. They don't do it without a reason. Time for you to re-think your response.
They also said that Bulldozer would kick the crap out of the i7. Or how was that "Overclocker's Dream" thing? I'll stick by what i said earlier thank you.