• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PC refuses to turn on

I've decided to just order a new mobo and deal with this thing later. I have no intention of being without my PC for weeks before I even find how to RMA it and get it back. Decided to go with MSI (X99A Gaming 7) this time around since I've never owned one so far...

I'll just sell the Sabertooth X99 later if and when I sort out the RMA thing...

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try calling them... (click on Europe, in the link below, to see the list with the Slovenia number)

Global Hotline Consumer Product
SLOVENIA
+386-59045400, +386-59045401
Mon-Fri 08:00-16:00

Good luck, sorry your MB has, possibly, gone defective.
RMAs are a pain nowadays, with some companies.

Hm, this is strange. It's same service center that's been offered to me on other ASUS page, but when I click on it it says they only service laptops, monitors and other complete devices, not components. I guess I'll have to ask them if they also service mobos...

System Name 1.21 gigawatts!
Processor Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X
Cooling Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim with Arctic MX-4
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3000 MHz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1080 Game Rock
Storage Mushkin Triactor 240GB + Toshiba X300 4TB + Team L3 EVO 480GB
Display(s) Philips 237E7QDSB/00 23" FHD AH-IPS
Case Aerocool Aero-1000 white + 4 Arctic F12 PWM Rev.2 fans
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio Boost 3 with Nahimic Audio Enhancer
Power Supply FSP Hydro G 650W
Mouse Cougar 700M eSports white
Keyboard E-Blue Cobra II
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 948 (stock) / 1044 (4,7 GHz) FarCry 5 1080p Ultra: min 100, avg 116, max 133 FPS
How can I verify it without buying new new PSU? Don't want to spend tons of money on new PSU just to figure out mobo died or something...

Don't have any other PC to test PSU on...
Asking your friend, girlfriend, father, mother, grandpa, grandma or cousin whether they can lease you their PSU for 2 hours to check your system...
Počasti ih pivom ili čevapima i to je to.

Even better, just realized my Windows 10 is tied to mobo. Replacing it means it'll fuck that up as well. God damn...
Microsoft must enable you another activation when you explain them your problem and send some official document or email from Asus. If they wont, there are other solutions, but it's not advised to talk about them here...

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
Have had similar problems, I am on my 3rd x99 board now, and have a 4th ready for when this dies. In my experience they last approximately 1 year.

the board i have now also has one small bug, as it will lock up and not start if I turn of the screen before the commuter shuts down after i have initiated the shut down procedure.

Even better, just realized my Windows 10 is tied to mobo. Replacing it means it'll fuck that up as well. God damn...

Had the same problem when i was chaning motherboard last time, contacted Microsoft and was told that I could get a new key if i could prove that the motherboard was defective, a mail from the RMA department would be ok. Turned out i dod not need it, as windows installed without problems

I've decided to just order a new mobo and deal with this thing later. I have no intention of being without my PC for weeks before I even find how to RMA it and get it back. Decided to go with MSI (X99A Gaming 7) this time around since I've never owned one so far...

I'll just sell the Sabertooth X99 later if and when I sort out the RMA thing...
Remember that ASUS wants the IO shield with the motherboard.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Hm, this is strange. It's same service center that's been offered to me on other ASUS page, but when I click on it it says they only service laptops, monitors and other complete devices, not components. I guess I'll have to ask them if they also service mobos...

i always found that weird about Asus. they have different numbers/contact info for networking-components-etc.. i guess it makes sense, but i hadnt heard of it until i had to get service for my router.

Just realized Sabertooth X99 has the option for Pickup and Return service. If you register it when purchased... Which i didn't do since I didn't even know what the hell it is till now. It's a service offered to server components where they just replace it the next day without questions asked. If I knew that, I'd already have a new Sabertooth X99 in my system by now... Ugh.

Yeah, got a reply from the center offered by ASUS and yeah, they don't fix mobos. Back to square one. It's also dumb that mobo doesn't have serial number on it, you need to look for a box which was stored somewhere so I had to dig it out first...

I think next time, I'll be going the route I used to be on in the past. Buying cheap components and overclocking them till they start to sweat hard. And then OC them some more. If they die you just throw them away and buy a new one. I frankly didn't expect so much confusion, problems and complications with a +400€ product. ASUS, get your shit together, the Support/service pages are a clusterfuck of useless information.

Also glad I bought a new mobo already. I'd go insane just using laptops that can hardly run any game...

If things go well, I'll get the MSI board tomorrow. I really hope. For gaming and to finally see if it was indeed a mobo. I just hope dead mosfets didn't fry RAM or CPU. Coz that would suck hard.

Ok, I can now confirm 100% it was motherboard. Just installed MSI X99A Gaming 7 and the system is working perfectly.

Now I'm facing a problem with damn Windows 10 license. Apparently it doesn't know the number linked to my Microsoft account for some bizarre reason and using Troubleshooting with "Recently changed hardware" which was suppose to fix this doesn't work either. Like always, this shit never works when I need it... Oh well, lets contact MS...

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Glad you got it figured out @RejZoR.

With Asus you need to just call and even though it's for notebooks and such tell them to give you the number to RMA.. I got sick of dealing with those idiots. I'm in Canada and was put through to the states.. They're a bunch of retards to when I had to RMA a mobo a few years ago. They sent a used board that had bent caps, and scratches all over it. Second replacement had a missing bios chip.

I was so pissed off I called Asus Canada and even though they just did notebooks and such I was able to vent and did I vent hard.. I gave the guy my RMA number and 2 days later I had a brand new never opened board dropped at my door.

Msi was the same, I skipped the American side and went directly to the Canadian side and even though it was the same as Asus I was able to get a 290x out of them..

The key is to bitch and bitch hard! That's the only way these companies listen.

And good luck with M$ and let us know what bullshit they try and feed ya..

Actually, Microsoft was really nice. Had to go through 2 guys because remote access session disconnected for some reason after we had to make system reboot, but the second one resolved it quickly. Maybe 15-20 minutes in total. Super friendly as well. So, quite surprised there. I've used Chat option instead of phone call.

I now have the system, with plenty of time to bitch about the ASUS mobo :D I actually quite like the MSI one. BIOS has better mouse support and while power button headers are dumb, fan headers are placed way better. So, that's cool :D

Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
Just remember to keep the replacement board you get from ASUS, so that when the MSI board dies in 12 to 15 months time you have a backup board.

Yeah, I'm scared of that actually. No board ever died on my after just ~1 year. And I always had them overclocked hard. Even the Core i7 920. And I have no clue what caused it. If I knew what particular setting possibly contributed to this I'd change it, but I have no clue.

Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
I think its just that the hole X99 chip is fragile as spun glass.

It also increases the price for the platform, as you need two motherboards in case one fails.

I don't think it's the chipset that went south (no pun lol). From the behavior and what people were saying online, what I experienced is typical behavior when mosfets are shot. The main power delivery mosfets for the CPU.