• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[WTB] [UK] Nostalgic cheapskate for older GPU

tl;dr: looking for the cheapest, newest, most powerful GPU I can find, somewhere under £50.
Red or green team, no preferences. HD 5xxx or GTX 2xx series (are those roughly the same generations?) or higher, if drivers exist for Windows 10 (preferably).

Hello all, it's been a long time since my last time in the boards, but I've been toying with the idea of a PC build, though with very little cash available, I'm having to cheap out. Currently have a Phenom II X6 in my dad's old PC, and looking to slap a GPU in that can handle something more than Freelancer or WoW vanilla (HD 4250 chipset IGP).

As the title says, I'm cheap and nostalgic. So, does anyone have a GPU in working condition, of an older generation going? Ideally something compatible with Windows 7/8/10, so I can still code in VS2015, and play some older Windows games.

Was considering a 7950 GX2 on eBay, but seemed overpriced. Would love a 7770 or equivalent or higher, but too costly.

So, anyone have a stash of GPUs they'd like to dig into?

Really odd... I saw a post from NdMk2o1o, that I was about to reply to.

Anyway, @NdMk2o1o, I'm so out of touch, it's hard to keep up with the multiple generations I've missed. My last build had a HD3850, so I've seen the 7770 in the TPU DB, and stuck with the idea for now. Seems like a good enough midpoint for price, performance and power, but more than willing to look at any other recommendations.
CeX nearest home has a large number of newer cards, few older ones, so I've not had much of a look at them. Might need to have a wander to one nearer work and see what I can find.

@dorsetknob that's a good find, think I've been looking too close to home on gumtree. Would just need to push the price down, out of my range by a little bit at the minute.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
that card if still available would be worth pushing the boat out a little with a haggle

ps its always nice to have more than one pair of eyes hunting down bargins

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Ya wheres my post gone lol :confused::confused::confused:

Really odd... I saw a post from NdMk2o1o, that I was about to reply to.

Anyway, @NdMk2o1o, I'm so out of touch, it's hard to keep up with the multiple generations I've missed. My last build had a HD3850, so I've seen the 7770 in the TPU DB, and stuck with the idea for now. Seems like a good enough midpoint for price, performance and power, but more than willing to look at any other recommendations.
CeX nearest home has a large number of newer cards, few older ones, so I've not had much of a look at them. Might need to have a wander to one nearer work and see what I can find.

@dorsetknob that's a good find, think I've been looking too close to home on gumtree. Would just need to push the price down, out of my range by a little bit at the minute.

They do deliver/online now so no need to just stick to what your local has, I'd still rather hit TPU up before I go to CEX though just giving you an example of what you can get for under or around £50

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
NdMk2o1o
I saw it as well>>>>. gone but not forgotten :) or ignored

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Ya wheres my post gone lol :confused::confused::confused:

They do deliver/online now so no need to just stick to what your local has, I'd still rather hit TPU up before I go to CEX though just giving you an example of what you can get for under or around £50

From what i have seen, Cex prices for GPUs seem a little steep to me.

Bump!

@CAPSLOCKSTUCK yeah, CeX can be a bit overpriced, but eBay is no better, and at least CeX tests stuff before selling.

About the 7950 GX2, I'm a nostalgic sod, and would love to build something with an Athlon 64 FX-60 and a quad-SLI setup with a 7950 GX2. It was a dream spec around the time when I built my first. Either that or a 6600 GT Dual. Not the same league, but it kicks off my nostalgia thinking about it.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
I went into my local Cex last week and noticed they had a 12gb kit of Corsair XMS3 ddr3 1600. i spoke to the fella behind the counter to confirm if they were a 3 x 4gb kit as the individual sticks were spread out across the display. I told him they were indeed a kit and shoud be kept together. i go back in this morning hoping they would still be there.......3 sticks, 12 quid each.........bargain.

The twats have sold one of the sticks.........:banghead:

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
I went into my local Cex last week and noticed they had a 12gb kit of Corsair XMS3 ddr3 1600. i spoke to the fella behind the counter to confirm if they were a 3 x 4gb kit as the individual sticks were spread out across the display. I told him they were indeed a kit and shoud be kept together. i go back in this morning hoping they would still be there.......3 sticks, 12 quid each.........bargain.

See if they have one online and pick up the 2 locally?

Free bump

Not a bad price if you have a Nehalem box lying about, and want triple channel. Was considering going for something of that generation before my Dad replaced his PC.

EDIT: just realised you meant they sold one of a three-piece kit, thought it was a four-piece... Silly me

Last edited: