• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Well with Dataplex gone...

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Who really is left to do SSD Cache drives for non Intel users? Seems these days the push is all on straight up SSDs or SSHDs. Caching drives like the old OCZ Synapse have been forgotten.

I have found users who mod the Dataplex software to work on other types of drives but, no company seems to actively be pursuing business for these customers anymore.

I'm curious as my aging Synapse will likely see it's end. Actually had to turn it off the other day after there was a problem starting up, heck it may even be dead right now. Though it is showing up still and before I disabled it, Dataplex did still want to work with it.

Going straight SSD boot drive route isn't all that attractive to me due to price and SSHDs always seem to have either high failure rates or are just not as good as if you had the two separate.

PrimoCache
https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/

Best one I've found and at reasonable price of 30 bucks (most others go into 3 digit prices). I'm not using it anymore since I've gone full SSD, but when I was, it was pretty damn good. Affordable, lifetime license, highly configurable, really responsive tech support and they also listen to user requests. It's a shame so few people know them (mostly because people still think PrimoCache is just a RAM caching program, it is, but it also supports SSD caching) as buying cheapest SSD and this software and anyone could boost their PC performance with tiny investment. And we're talking leaps here.

SSHD's were good idea executed poorly. Several years have passed and drives still come with same garbage 8GB cache. Which means, if you play 2-3 games interchangeably, it'll constantly thrash the cache as it'll fight to retain recent data in it. But with dirty cheap 128GB SSD drives, you can easily accelerate massive HDD's. And thanks to being a software layer, if SSD fails, it just starts working as a normal HDD. Where with SSHD's, I've heard quite few horror stories where dead SSD component rendered whole drive dead. Which is not cool at all.