• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Increases Its Market Share on the Back of Strong Ryzen Sales

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
There have been some reports that Intel's CPU division has gotten a sales decline of about $150 million, and that AMD has, conversely, seen its processor sales increase by around the same amount. This would seem to beget a straight, logic leap - that AMD was calling to itself sales that would have belonged to Intel. With Ryzen, AMD did make a great product that consumers are looking to buy, and if recent Passmark statistics are anything to go by, it would seem that yes, AMD achieved its sales increase on the back of Intel sales.

The data, pulled from PassMark's quarterly report, shows AMD gaining 2.2% of the processor market share against Intel - and one needs only look at the market share curve, its ups and downs, to notice just how much this occurrence looks against the trend. And one glance towards the blue Intel line is enough to notice that the company's market share has seemingly dropped by an approximate amount. Breaking a trend is usually the hardest part, and it would seem that AMD has done so, even through platform and motherboard availability issues, increasing consumer awareness for its brand and products and capitalizing on strong execution - an execution that too a long while to bring to fruition. This might be a tide-turner from AMD, and with its recent financial results announcement, it would seem AMD is working itself up, slowly, but surely. Here's hoping this marks a return to form from the red camp. You should, however, take these numbers with a grain of salt, since their origin (Passmark and its benchmarking suites) are hardly representative of the entire consumer spectrum.They do, however, give us a glimpse - if a frayed one at that.

EDIT: On account of the mention of AMD's 2017 fiscal year Q1 results, which have brought its stock tumbling, it's important to note the period Q1 F2017 pertains to only includes Ryzen's launch month of March, which was marred by low inventories and some availability problems with AM4 motherboards. As such, Ryzen sales only account for a month of these fiscal results. So, besides a knee-jerk reaction on a report that people expected to see much better than it is on account of Ryzen, let's just wait a bit until the dust settles and the selling-frenzy ends. I'm by no means a financial expert (not even close), but I would take up the falling AMD stocks right now, and look towards increasing share value on Q2 and Q3 fiscal 2017 reports.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I have no idea what the last part of the article is about, the financial report yesterday was a disaster and the stock is crashing because of it. Instead of citing "passmark" system scans as market share evidence, I'll post actual data:

Stock value day before launch, $14.96. Stock value right now, $10.92. That's 30% of value just wiped out by Ryzen (still, great value just not what it needed to be). Increasing market share is good but not so good when you increase from almost nothing to very little. The actual info is devastating. About as devastating as the crashing stock after that quarterly report.

Sources:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amds-stock-plunges-toward-biggest-loss-in-over-12-years-2017-05-02
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/02/gold...-plunge-sees-more-downside-for-chipmaker.html
http://fortune.com/2017/05/02/amd-ryzen-intel/

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
I have no idea what the last part of the article is about, the financial report yesterday was a disaster and the stock is crashing because of it. Instead of citing "passmark" system scans as market share evidence, I'll post actual data:

Stock value day before launch, $14.96. Stock value right now, $10.92. That's 30% of value just wiped out by Ryzen (still, great value just not what it needed to be). Increasing market share is good but not so good when you increase from almost nothing to very little. The actual info is devastating. About as devastating as the crashing stock after that quarterly report.

Sources:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amds-stock-plunges-toward-biggest-loss-in-over-12-years-2017-05-02
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/02/gold...-plunge-sees-more-downside-for-chipmaker.html

I agree with what you're saying. I expected stronger AMD results than what they delivered, but it's also important to consider that the US government's fiscal year for 2017 is:

• 1st quarter: 1 October 2016 – 31 December 2016
  • 2nd quarter: 1 January 2017 – 31 March 2017
  • 3rd quarter: 1 April 2017 – 30 June 2017
  • 4th quarter: 1 July 2017 – 30 September 2017

So, Ryzen sales are not impacting AMD's fiscal bottom line for this quarter results. They will, however, do so in the 2nd quarter, even if only with a month of Ryzen platform sales. So I think we just have to wait and see. Markets always knee-jerk when things don't go as they plan. This would seem to be one of those occasions. I find this odd to consider, but perhaps some investors thought these results count Ryzen sales? I know I did, at first, before remembering how Fiscal years are set up. If so, these results would be selling-spasm inducing indeed.

Last edited:

Sources:

I'm sure you did but all the 3 links you posted. All the worries are due to future projections on margins. The margins are +2% this quarter.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
2006 was a good time. Built multiple Athlon64X2 rigs for my friends. Then about a year later Intel starts taking over everything and I ended up with my first intel since pentium133, Q6600.

Good to see AMD CPU bounces back. I am keeping my eyes on the 16core32threads HEDT bad boy.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Amd stock has, on the whole, gone up over the past year. Only the laat few days has it gone down. Its still a couple times higher than it was a year ago...its also seemed to flatten out for the moment...

https://www.google.com/search?q=amd...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Also, arent quarterly reports for companies based on THEIR fiscal year???

Sans the drop after the data was released, it didnt go down much because of ryzen. The bigger dropp seems to be from the report.

System Name Project Taco
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 z87
Cooling Corsair H100i w/Noiseblocker eLoop
Memory Avexir Core Series White LED 4x4GB 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA Nvidia GTX 780 TI Classified
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
Display(s) 2 QNIX QX2710
Case NZXT H440
Audio Device(s) O2/ODAC
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1000W Gold
Amd stock has, on the whole, gone up over the past year. Only the laat few days has it gone down. Its still a couple times higher than it was a year ago...its also seemed to flatten out for the moment...

https://www.google.com/search?q=amd...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Also, arent quarterly reports for companies based on THEIR fiscal year???

Sans the drop after the data was released, it didnt go down much because of ryzen. The bigger dropp seems to be from the report.

Yes it's based on their own financial reporting year. AMD Q1 is Jan 1-Apr 1. Since Ryzen launch was (I believe) March 2nd, it's included (a month's worth) in their Q1 statements. For some reason TPU is reporting it as Oct-Dec. Source

Also I think TPU is wrong in it not including Ryzen because the Press Release explicitly says it does in several instances:

“We achieved 18 percent year-over-year revenue growth driven by strong demand for our high performance Ryzen CPUs as well as graphics processors,” said Dr. Lisa Su, AMD president and CEO.

However, Computing and Graphics segment revenue decline was better than seasonal due to the initial sales from high performance Ryzen™ desktop processors

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Yes it's based on their own financial reporting year. AMD Q1 is Jan 1-Apr 1. Since Ryzen launch was (I believe) March 2nd, it's included (a month's worth) in their Q1 statements. For some reason TPU is reporting it as Oct-Dec. Source

Also I think TPU is wrong in it not including Ryzen because the Press Release explicitly says it does in several instances:

So buy now and ride until next quarter announcements. Get them while its cheap.

the financial report yesterday was a disaster
Financial reports and other data reflect the (short term) view and/or (narrow) concern of said financial actors.
This is not, repeat: is not the concern of industrials and consumers. A rise in a company's prospects my counter the interest of financial investors; the opposite is common: a bankruptcy generously fills the pockets of investors and lawyers.
What concerns us, consumers, is sales and market share and those are rosy; go AMD !!!

System Name Project Taco
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 z87
Cooling Corsair H100i w/Noiseblocker eLoop
Memory Avexir Core Series White LED 4x4GB 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA Nvidia GTX 780 TI Classified
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
Display(s) 2 QNIX QX2710
Case NZXT H440
Audio Device(s) O2/ODAC
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1000W Gold
Financial reports and other data reflect the (short term) view and/or (narrow) concern of said financial actors.
This is not, repeat: is not the concern of industrials and consumers. A rise in a company's prospects my counter the interest of financial investors; the opposite is common: a bankruptcy generously fills the pockets of investors and lawyers.
What concerns us, consumers, is sales and market share and those are rosy; go AMD !!!

Not remotely true. If all you look at is the income statement and cash flows then yeah, that's true. The balance sheet, however, is both short and long term in it's implications and information. Things like PP&E, long term debt, and long term assets tell a lot.

I agree with what you're saying. I expected stronger AMD results than what they delivered, but it's also important to consider that the US government's fiscal year for 2017 is:

So, Ryzen sales are not impacting AMD's fiscal bottom line for this quarter results. They will, however, do so in the 2nd quarter, even if only with a month of Ryzen platform sales. So I think we just have to wait and see. Markets always knee-jerk when things don't go as they plan. This would seem to be one of those occasions. I find this odd to consider, but perhaps some investors thought these results count Ryzen sales? I know I did, at first, before remembering how Fiscal years are set up. If so, these results would be selling-spasm inducing indeed.

"US government's fiscal year for 2017", uhm what that have to do with anything? Every company has their own fiscal year structure, AMD:s is
AMD’s fiscal year follows the standard calendar year. Fiscal quarters for the 2017 year (exact dates are adjusted early):
  • First Quarter: January 1, 2017 - April 1, 2017
  • Second Quarter: April 2, 2017 – July 1, 2017
  • Third Quarter: July 2, 2017 - September 30, 2017
  • Fourth Quarter: October 1, 2017 – December 30, 2017

But yes you are right Ryzen sales have sold only one month of that fiscal and not only that: cheaper parts were not in sale on that quarter.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Sources:

The time between "$14.96" and "$10.92" was in a matter of a few months. From a market perspective it's almost insignificant as the initial inflation of the stock was based upon "hope". The stock is stronger than it was last year, almost double what it was... Though things seem to be going downhill the past few days, it'll settle where it should.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
should really stop buying Intel for a while, this is rather disturbing

The balance sheet, however, is both short and long term in it's implications and information. Things like PP&E, long term debt, and long term assets tell a lot.

AMD has been riding a wave of fanboy optimism, but reality is starting to set in. This isn't like 2004. I was hoping for a strong showing from Polaris and Ryzen, but performance-wise they are a mixed bag. Going forward AMD is a small company with bigger competitors in fields where innovation and tech are super important. It's still uncertain if they will continue to make incremental gains without suffering another major setback, which would likely be fatal.

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10

So, Ryzen sales are not impacting AMD's fiscal bottom line for this quarter results. They will, however, do so in the 2nd quarter, even if only with a month of Ryzen platform sales. So I think we just have to wait and see.
I agree with your comments and story edit, mostly. I think Ryzen is a good product. I think they priced it a bit below even my best case predictions making it a tremendous value. The problem was the market (and most users) wanted a product that exceeded Intel's offerings and pushed them hard. They succeeded in some push, since some launch dates are accelerating.

I also agree that there is plenty of room to turn it around with long term increasing sales. The question is are the margins high enough on these or are these laying groundwork for the next product and will that come fast enough? On the flip, the big problem here is prior to launch the stock was at 14.96 as previously stated. It did take that first big hit on the initial reviews and dropped down to 13.03 but then it recovered back to 14.64 over the next month. This is a second even bigger crash all the way down to $10.30. The one year trend is great. The two month trend is really bad. It just happens that two months ago today was the Ryzen launch - coincidence?

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
This is no different than wall street crying that the stock was overvalued 2 weeks ago. They want to crash it, so they can buy. Someone should keep tabs on how much stock is bought, now. How many stocks do they get to safely invest in that will double and more in a short period of time (therefore fast profits)? Without insider knowledge, I say not that many. This is an excellent buy (for the fat cats) even at 10 bucks if you want to double your cash in a year or less.

Conversation between me and the guy from the most famous computer store here in Lisbon, Portugal.

Me: "Would like to ask you if you guys are having any problems/RMA/troubleshooting/unstability/reliability with Ryzen hardware that your customers have been buying."

Worker:" I can´t really reply to that because we barely sold Ryzen CPUs, not selling well."

Was surprised myself tbh. I think Ryzen 5 line up is very strong product, but needed a bit higher clocks. Still between a 7600k and a Ryzen 5 1600 I would go with AMD. Problem is that 7700k with a cheap memory kit of 2133/2400mhz still rapes Ryzen in games, for almost the same price as a Ryzen 3000mhz ddr4 + X370 combo. Yes you can use 2133 ddr4 on Ryzen too, but then the gap between it and 7700k would be even bigger (is already 30% in some games, at the same clocks).

When Intel launches their upcoming 6 core CPU for 350/400 bucks, clocked at 4,4ghz/4,5ghz, can only see we back to the same thing again. Ryzen irrelevant, the differences will be massive again like they were between an 8 core bulldozer and a 8 threaded 2600k.

Now, if only the upcoming Bios updates could allow you to use 3800mhz DDR 4 kits at least... would be a massive jump on performance for 144hz/CPU bound gaming.

System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
Looking at the graph, it's shocking how AMD tanked once Intel launched the Core series CPU. Coincidentally, that was the same time I moved on from AMD.

:toast:

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

Sources:

Prior to Ryzen launch, AMD had a market share of ~ 2 billion. Your argument is really nothing but mute. Any form of slight success at this time is great news for AMD.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I have no idea what the last part of the article is about, the financial report yesterday was a disaster and the stock is crashing because of it.
I disagree, the report released was positive, it shows improved growth and will lead to a R.O.I. if continued.

I C lotsa fine stock analysts.

Yesterday drop was well expected as a consolidation of the gains credited since june 2016 as incentive over the new platform (AM4+Ryzen)
Once the fiscal trunk in which the launch happens is over, investors start to ponder hard data and the market reacts accordingly. That's expected.
When the supply line will start to pump as it is intended to be, when ryzen will be sold into pre-built towers, NUCs(?), laptops and the like, the stock will rise accordingly (Given AMD will be able to make the supply machine tic).
You just have to take a look at the last year stock trend to see for yourself what Ryzen really did for AMD.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I think Ryzen would sell better, had Vega been released.
A bunch of customers plans to have AMD only builds and 580/1060 level performance is not what many are after.

Problem is that 7700k with a cheap memory kit of 2133/2400mhz still rapes Ryzen in games
The perf difference is vastly vastly exaggerated.