• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Announcing Cybenetics Power Supply Rating and Certification Agency

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Cybenetics announces its arrival as a cutting-edge computer power supply rating and certification agency, which tests and certifies power-supply units (PSUs) beyond switching efficiency. Cybenetics was formed with one purpose in mind; to introduce new efficiency and noise certification standards for personal computer power supply units (PSUs). As compared to the currently available programs, the volunteered certification program offered by Cybenetics aims to add greater accuracy to efficiency testing and at the same time to provide an authentic verification of the PSU's operational noise level.

Beyond efficiency and noise certifications, Cybenetics also offers PSU Beta testing and evaluation reports which can lead to significant time and money savings in the process of increasing the quality and the performance of the tested products. The Cybenetics test procedure has been developed through many years of PSU evaluation experience. The methodologies in place, have been forged after numerous hours of testing and experimentation to obtain accuracy and reliability. Cybenetics' highly experienced personnel uses exclusively top-notch, state of the art equipment for its certifications. For further information, please visit the Cybenetics homepage.

Cybenetics introduces a new efficiency rating called ETA, after the Greek letter "Η", which is based on a highly sophisticated methodology that takes into account many different factors.

Contrary to the currently available efficiency rating programs that test only three or four different load points; the ETA program incorporates load combinations using a unique, custom-made application to account for the efficiency results of thousands of different load combinations through a unique proprietary application. This process allows Cybenetics to use a single value rating to represent the PSU's true overall efficiency. Moreover, and very importantly, Power Factor, Vampire Power and the +5VSB rail's efficiency are also taken into consideration in the final rating, whereas these measurements are not even considered in other efficiency certification tests. Finally, all tested PSUs must be compliant with the ErP Lot 6 2010/2013 and ErP lot 3 2014 directives and also meet all requirements mentioned in the (EU) No 617/2013 regulation:
  • 85% efficiency at 50% of rated output power;
  • 82% efficiency at 20% and 100% of rated output power;
  • Power Factor = 0.9 at 100% of rated output power.
Cybenetics also provides a noise certification, named LAMBDA. Utilizing an advanced methodology and a highly sophisticated controlling/monitoring program, the power supply's noise readings are recorded throughout its entire operational range. Those readings are subsequently converted to sound pressure levels (SPL), averaged, and converted back to dB(A) again. As of this time, to the best of our knowledge, there is no such noise certification program available for IT products and our purpose in the future, is to expand this program to other hardware parts, as well.

The ETA certification comprises of five levels (A+, A, B, C, and D), while LAMBDA consists of seven levels (A++, A+, A, B, C, D, and E). Each manufacturer or brand can choose to either use the corresponding certification badges depicting the level alone, or a more comprehensive badge that includes the actual overall efficiency or noise rating. In addition, each badge will be tied to the specific product through a short-URL and a QR code, which will be printed on the badge. This will allow users to easily find a PSU's evaluation report certified by Cybenetics.

Since we want to offer the most detailed possible evaluation reports in addition to the normal test results, we will also include a number of other test results (e.g. efficiency and load regulation at 10%-110% load; ripple performance; hold-up time; etc.), which will provide useful information not only to everyday users but also to experts and PSU reviewers who do not have the proper equipment and software to apply our methodology.

For both certification programs, we primarily use 115 VAC; however, the ETA program will include a number of tests using 230 VAC to check compliance with various EU regulations.

You can find more information about Cybenetics, the ETA and LAMBDA certification programs, at www.cybenetics.com. Within a three month period close to 40 PSU models from various brands have been certified. You will find their evaluation reports in the Cybenetics' database, which also includes a graphic charts option (per manufacturer).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Please don't put that on my PSU.

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
So those colours going from best to worst are:
  1. Gold
  2. Bronze
  3. Green
  4. Blue
  5. Silver
  6. Pink
  7. Cream
Unless you're looking at energy efficiency, where bronze and cream aren't available. Not the clearest scale to work with... :wtf:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
For those who do not know, @crmaris is behind this. 80+ have been in need of slapping around for a while now.

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
Of the two i am most interested in the Lamda badges, event tho a complete review at multiple loads with fan speed reading is more help.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
80+ might be in need of an overhaul, but this is not very clear and with two different certifications, consumers are just going to be even more confused about what is what. Throw in the noise certification on top of that, you get even more confusion.

It's not going to be easy to provide two very different types of certifications in one, but this doesn't look like the best way of doing things. It's kind of like the European energy efficiency rating system that start with A to E or F, and now has A++++ or whatever it is, as the scale moved. Admittedly this is a much harder scale to move at this point, but I guess this is also why we have 80+ titanium and platinum these days...

This is also going to take a long time to gain any traction, as 80+ is so well established by now that it's going to take a lot of time and work to get the PSU makers to jump onto something new, especially as it'll be much harder to pass the certification using this new standard.

Why not call PSU's "97+" if they reach score of 97% efficiency? Wouldn't that be easier than this nonsense now with 80+ Titanium and these A+++++++++ ratings?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
When Cyberdyne start rating them T1, T2 etc, then we are in trouble :cool: /jk

System Name KarymidoN TitaN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570
Cooling Custom Watercooling Loop
Memory 2x Kingston FURY RGB 16gb @ 3200mhz 18-20-20-39
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Kingston NV2 1TB| 4TB HDD
Display(s) 4X 1080P LG Monitors
Case Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply Corsair TX 600
Mouse Logitech G300S
A Lot of people don't understand how big this is. But it means a real QUALITY certification for PSU's. Lets be realistic, Ecova 80Plus is not a PSU Quality certification, is about eficiency, but that is not what matters the most in a PSU, Good PSU's need good regulation (80plus don't certificate that), a good PSU should have a decent Hold-up time (not guaranteed on 80plus), and a good PSU should have a good build quality and components for its price (80plus doesn't guarantee that too).

Cybenetics means that we (consumers) will have a PSU tested on a lot of aspects, and the certification will become an indicator of OVERALL QUALITY, not only EFICIENCY.
(Sorry my bad english).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Why not call PSU's "97+" if they reach score of 97% efficiency? Wouldn't that be easier than this nonsense now with 80+ Titanium and these A+++++++++ ratings?

As @KarymidoN says, this is more than effecience. Not to mention you can get around 80+ by simply reviding the hardware specs. See this for what it is: deep reviews but more official. I can see it getting confusing tho, but being too simple makes it misleading.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I think the present Bronze through Titanium ratings are misleading in that some people think that the rating refers to quality and not just efficiency so you have people thinking that a Bronze Rated PSU is inferior to a Gold Rated PSU in quality.

I think the present Bronze through Titanium ratings are misleading in that some people think that the rating refers to quality and not just efficiency so you have people thinking that a Bronze Rated PSU is inferior to a Gold Rated PSU in quality.

That's because they are. :p

:roll:

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I agree there is a small and uneducated group which thinks that.. .:)

You usually can't achieve high efficiency if you don't have tight tolerances and high end components, so they are kinda connected.

Btw, checking my BeQuiet Dark Power 11, it falls somewhere in the A+ (could be just between A and A+) region for efficiency and noise at A++. It would achieve A++ even at 100% load which it never even reaches. It's usually at 50% load where it's 10dB XD

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
That's because they are. :p

:roll:

Depends. There are some Bronze level PSUs I'd aproach way before the worst of the golds.

Just to clarify. I don't believe Titanium Efficiency is necessary in every build or every rig. But if you are building a rig for long work days 10hours plus and you want the least amount of waste heat dumped into your office space over time AND would enjoy and benefit from a silent/inaudible work environment, then in this instance and use scenario I believe Titanium has it's place and is worth the extra cost, especially over the 12year warranty life of the PSU.

My current work rig build (photo below) with PSU in the center, yea it's a total mess right now waiting for parts to arrive so I can move forward. :oops:

Mouse Logitech G300S
Depends. There are some Bronze level PSUs I'd aproach way before the worst of the golds.

Thats the point about cybenetics, it will Certificate Quality, Not only Eficiency, Overall PSU Quality, including the Build Quality, components, Ripple, Noise, Voltage Regulation, etc.

Mouse Logitech G300S
So, this will make PSU reviews useless then if they'll be that thorough...

This project includes some of the best PSU review sites of the world (TechPowerUP, Tom's Hardware & Teclab From Brazil). So if anyone question those certifications please check those guys PSU reviews.

System Name Project Evolv mATX V2
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.SKILL 3200 C14 / 1T running at 3400
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6800XT Nitro
Storage Samsung 980 pro NVMe 2TB
Display(s) Dual Samsung 27" G50A's
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX in Silver
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Software Win 11

Not totally a bad thing - will just result in better built supplies at of course, higher prices.

The whole Lambda thing reminds me of revenge of the nerds. They need to add in this badge.

Last edited:
This project includes some of the best PSU review sites of the world (TechPowerUP, Tom's Hardware & Teclab From Brazil). So if anyone question those certifications please check those guys PSU reviews.

You mean like they'll be giving these certificates out to PSU companies?

Mouse Logitech G300S
You mean like they'll be giving these certificates out to PSU companies?

The good PSU Companies (Like Seasonic = https://seasonic.com/product/prime-850-w-titanium/) Will Send PSU's to be certificated (like 80+) but the difference starts here, from what i heard Cybenectics will not only certificate a product, they will do a complete review of the PSU, and even after the certification (and the product will be launched to the market) Cybenectics will purchase a PSU from a random website and compare the results of the REVIEW/CERTIFICATION sample to the Market Sample, and if the results are different after a few more tries the Certification will be removed. Thats is HUGE, cause 80+ certifications are forever, even if a PSU has a change in its project, components, etc. The manufacter can just keep the Product name and sell it like it is Certifiied by 80+, even if the effiency got lower due to modifications (most of the time to cut prices), cybenetics enters the game to change that.
(Sorry my bad english)

Yup, Seasonic is the only PSU maker I can find onboard with the Cybenetics Certification so far, guessing inclusion will be voluntary.

Wondering why Jonnyguru.com and Oklahoma Wolf have so far opted out of involvement in this program? :confused: Maybe they just said no.

Mouse Logitech G300S
Yup, Seasonic is the only PSU maker I can find onboard with the Cybenetics Certification so far, guessing inclusion will be voluntary.

Wondering why Jonnyguru.com and Oklahoma Wolf have so far opted out of involvement in this program? :confused: Maybe they just said no.

Probably its just a Matter of time, Corsair will probably Add the certification as well, of course some brands will be not ok with this certification, its kinda obvious that this tests can show consumers some flaws in their products and expose cheap garbage disguised as "Gamer 80+". I just believe in one thing, if our comunity starts to ask for more quality products and ask for this certification it will only benefit ourselves. (sorry my bad english)

Last edited: