• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft's Creator's Update

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Depends on the hardware, if there only testing on something that is less then 2yrs old and running on a SSD the W10 is a very quick OS indeed (I built a i7 6700 with a Samsung SSD) but as soon as you go ether low end hardware on a mechanical drive or older hardware it becomes one very slow OS. I have dual boot on my i7 rig (W10/7) and the deference is night and day. So much so Im replacing the HDD with a second hand SSD for W10 so it will speed up the system.

Hey if they can sell cheap phones then good for them, = more sales, Apple can do the same if they want to (not that they will) Not everyone can afford a $800 Apple iPhone every yr.

Well thats the thing, it doesnt "just work" many of my clients say the opposite, they want to go back to 7 as it does just that "it works". At the moment 10 still needs work in my eyes to be on par with 7 and I hope one day it will. Also any tech guy would be totally stupid to even suggest that the inbuilt AV in W10 is any good, its a POS, period! and the whole cant do updates thing well at least we can choose what to update not like W10 just forces no questions asked, dont like this update? stiff shit mate here it comes anyway, if it breaks your system and you loose your files, do we care? fark no, enjoy! Not that 7 was any different till now but least 7 never got complete system updates that reset all your settings.....I actually really like how you get updates now on 7, its damn awesome, should have always been like that TBH.

If your hard drive is slow in 10 it has started to fail. I have yet to see this proven wrong outside of a terrible 5400rpm 8mb cache laptop drive or two.

The point was apples marketshare decline in the phone market has nothing to do with the closed os. It is purely the lack of cheap crap for the poorest of poor to buy.

This part is funny to me. Quite a few large corporations have actually started the migration to 10. The OS on its own works quite well. Better than 7 did prior to sp1. The number of systems broken by an update isn't as high as people like to make it seem and it seems to fall around one junk piece of hardware. Like right now if you have a junk Broadcom wifi/Bluetooth the creators update has issues. Should have purchased something with an Intel card.

Other thing... Most corporate environments I have been in don't run anything Antivirus wise on client machines. The servers yes, but client machines the built in works well enough and if an individual has an issue guess who goes on a restricted web list.

Having functional things is a sign of weekness; on this we agree.

There are definitely aspects of 7 I miss, but overall the swap to 10 even on my work machine was painless. The only thing that really gets my blood boiling is out corporate database program has to be run in IE with quite a few safety features disabled. In 7 I could shut all the pop-ups about it off. 10 reminds me every browser launch and likes to reset them after an update.

That alone made me almost dump 7 back on it.

System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
*tinfoil hat on* Maybe they handicapped the OS on purpose to help Intel sell more Optane cache. Coincidence? I think not! :laugh:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
We are on Windows 10 at work and other than the annoying remnants of 8, it works good except the fact it tries to update drivers that break my work tools. Or uninstall Windows media center or core components of TV tuners.

In short, Windows 10, meh.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
If your hard drive is slow in 10 it has started to fail. I have yet to see this proven wrong outside of a terrible 5400rpm 8mb cache laptop drive or two.

The point was apples marketshare decline in the phone market has nothing to do with the closed os. It is purely the lack of cheap crap for the poorest of poor to buy.

This part is funny to me. Quite a few large corporations have actually started the migration to 10. The OS on its own works quite well. Better than 7 did prior to sp1. The number of systems broken by an update isn't as high as people like to make it seem and it seems to fall around one junk piece of hardware. Like right now if you have a junk Broadcom wifi/Bluetooth the creators update has issues. Should have purchased something with an Intel card.

Other thing... Most corporate environments I have been in don't run anything Antivirus wise on client machines. The servers yes, but client machines the built in works well enough and if an individual has an issue guess who goes on a restricted web list.

Naaa its in perfect working condition and come to think of it my newest drive I have and Windows 10 has been on there since it first came out so if its a dieing drive then its taking its sweet time lol. All of the computers I have worked on that are running a standard drive with W10 have been slow, not in just boot times but opening up programs as well.

There are more poor people then there are rich people in the world.

Yeah....naaaa not the case at all. this link will surprise you I think, some food for thought. https://news.vice.com/article/windows-31-is-still-alive-and-it-just-killed-a-french-airport

Well hate to tell ya but most prebuilt computers run junk hardware so....if that is the case then that alone explains the amount of issues we have with W10. Athros is better then both.

Thats because there in a Intranet and in a closed environment, and are restricted to only software and pages set by the Admin, so thats a no brainer really but everyone else that isnt in such a closed off environment should always use a AV and not rely on the inbuilt AV by MS, its been proven time and time again yr after yr how poor it is.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Naaa its in perfect working condition and come to think of it my newest drive I have and Windows 10 has been on there since it first came out so if its a dieing drive then its taking its sweet time lol. All of the computers I have worked on that are running a standard drive with W10 have been slow, not in just boot times but opening up programs as well.

There are more poor people then there are rich people in the world.

Yeah....naaaa not the case at all. this link will surprise you I think, some food for thought. https://news.vice.com/article/windows-31-is-still-alive-and-it-just-killed-a-french-airport

Well hate to tell ya but most prebuilt computers run junk hardware so....if that is the case then that alone explains the amount of issues we have with W10. Athros is better then both.

Thats because there in a Intranet and in a closed environment, and are restricted to only software and pages set by the Admin, so thats a no brainer really but everyone else that isnt in such a closed off environment should always use a AV and not rely on the inbuilt AV by MS, its been proven time and time again yr after yr how poor it is.

I don't know if you know this but mechanical drives are slow. Maybe this is a comparison thing for you? They are slow in 7 and 10, slower than an ssd in fact. If you are saying on a mechanical drive things appear to operate as a whole slower on 10 vs 7 that is not something I have ever seen without something being broken let it be software, hardware or someone's crap Antivirus that you seem to think everyone needs.

They are plenty of people on earth that doesn't change that your original argument of android surpassing iOS is based on OS design and not there being more poor than rich.

Most pre-built use modern drives meaning 7200rpm 64mb cache. Those work fine. Like literally zero issues with speed on 10. The laptops use either the always failing single platter 500gb 5400rpm junk drives that I just replace on sight or the better 1tb units that don't have issues.

We will have to agree to disagree on Antivirus. I personally see just as many people with infected machines regardless of av choice. Almost as if it has more to do with the user rather than av option. I personally have none and have had no viruses in years. Wonder if the person behind the keyboard is the best Antivirus option there is...

Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
I don't know if you know this but mechanical drives are slow. Maybe this is a comparison thing for you? They are slow in 7 and 10, slower than an ssd in fact. If you are saying on a mechanical drive things appear to operate as a whole slower on 10 vs 7 that is not something I have ever seen without something being broken let it be software, hardware or someone's crap Antivirus that you seem to think everyone needs.

They are plenty of people on earth that doesn't change that your original argument of android surpassing iOS is based on OS design and not there being more poor than rich.

Most pre-built use modern drives meaning 7200rpm 64mb cache. Those work fine. Like literally zero issues with speed on 10. The laptops use either the always failing single platter 500gb 5400rpm junk drives that I just replace on sight or the better 1tb units that don't have issues.

We will have to agree to disagree on Antivirus. I personally see just as many people with infected machines regardless of av choice. Almost as if it has more to do with the user rather than av option. I personally have none and have had no viruses in years. Wonder if the person behind the keyboard is the best Antivirus option there is...

*Claps slowly* If you havent seen the difference from 7 to 10 on a mechanical drive you just havent used enough computers yet. W8/8.1/10 have all given the illusion that they boot quick, this isnt true, yes they seem to boot into the OS quickly but in the back ground there still loading crap that can go on for a good few minutes. Hell Id even be happy to give you a comparison between 2-3 machines I got here just to prove my point AND on top of that ill even give the advantage to the W10 machines. Also 90%+ of PC's sold today still use a mechanical drive as there primary drive, you should of seen the difference by now if you work on PC's?

No not really, I still think that iOS is a more polished OS overall and works better on the hardware it is on, but good luck finding a cheap iPhone and Android can provide this, the fact is there are ALOT more poorer people on this earth and Android provides its OS to cheap phones, its just simple logic.

No im sorry I will never agree with that about using an AV and not having one and just relying on the inbuilt one from MS. It proves to me that you just simply dont work on enough computers to know this. I had to clean up the entire town where I live because of this exact issue. The old IT guy here installed MSE (basically what W8.1/10 use as there inbuilt AV) on everyones PC, after he left and I started up all I had was PC after PC after PC that was full of viruses because they used that POS of a "AV" Ever since I cleaned up all those PC's and put a REAL AV on the amount that have come back with any viruses problems dropped by 90%. Your only comparing your own PC use and not 1000s of others, this is just giving false information, get out and actually work on 1000s of different peoples PC's, go to there place and sit down and actually work on them, you will start to realise that your personal experience at home is ALOT different to everyone elses that just "use" a PC.

D

Deleted member 67555

Sigh... Have uninstall and reinstall Sonic all-star racing...
It's not working right after the update...

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. My issue is with W10 nagging me to upgrade to the Creator's Update.

What i am finding annoying is that it will\can wake the system from sleep to do updates.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
*Claps slowly* If you havent seen the difference from 7 to 10 on a mechanical drive you just havent used enough computers yet.

Well I remember when Windows 7 came out it had a WELL KNOWN issue with Data transfer rates. It was so bad that I refused to run any of my Benching rigs with anything other than Raid 0 with 4 drives...... Now I know they have figured out that issue and was able through updates to patch it and regain that lost bandwidth....
I think Windows 10 is more polished out the gate, well at least since Anniversary..and will out perform Windows 7 in the long run if not already.

cd this is the big truth!

Well I remember when Windows 7 came out it had a WELL KNOWN issue with Data transfer rates. It was so bad that I refused to run any of my Benching rigs with anything other than Raid 0 with 4 drives...... Now I know they have figured out that issue and was able through updates to patch it and regain that lost bandwidth....
I think Windows 10 is more polished out the gate, well at least since Anniversary..and will out perform Windows 7 in the long run if not already.

I honestly dont ever remembering that issue in Windows 7 tbh but when it comes to W10 and transfer rates between network drives or external USB Drives its horrendous! (Mainly the USB Drives)

Well W10 "should" be more polished out of the gate, but its not really proving that at all and the Anniversary update for me at least was a huge disappointment, I found my system running worse since that update, before then it ran alot better. I hope when I do a fresh install of the latest Version of 10 on my system on a SSD it will run good, hopes arnt high, but heck might surprise me.

.Wonder if the person behind the keyboard is the best Antivirus option there is...

cd this is the big truth!

And thats EXACTLY why people need a AV and not the POS MS One.

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
I really don't like that self-entitled elitist attitude some people tend to have against MS products. Win10 is a perfectly fine OS and - while it isn't without its flaws (which product isn't?!) - it's a better OS than Win7 imho.
I certainly don't understand how all these supposed enthusiasts cling onto software that is no longer supported ...

Besides that, no problems with the creators update thus far.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I really don't like that self-entitled elitist attitude some people tend to have against MS products. Win10 is a perfectly fine OS and - while it isn't without its flaws (which product isn't?!) - it's a better OS than Win7 imho.
I certainly don't understand how all these supposed enthusiasts cling onto software that is no longer supported ...

Besides that, no problems with the creators update thus far.

Imo, due to past issues with Microsoft programs and operating systems its become the "default opinion" to not like Microsoft. Now it's so ingrained into people's thoughts that it's just easier to continually dislike it or parrot others opinions instead of actually trying it for ones self,and formulating the opinion for yourself (based on fact & experience). I feel that once a program like Internet explorer for example has been so unpopular for so long that it becomes easier for people to believe that a newer product from the same company would also be crap, and it requires fewer and fewer examples or instances of it actually performing poorly to become a commonly accepted "fact". I myself am guilty of this, I wouldn't even give edge a try but once I had ,I actually found that it was pretty damn good.

I think the same could be said for operating systems. People had terrible experiences with vista or 8.1, and now all it takes is one person reading that one comment somewhere that is negative ,and it justifies the easier opinion based on past experience & prejudice as opposed to factual current experience with the newer OS. Hell, in many cases a person can just hear of someone having a bad experience , not even directly having it themselves, once, twice, or more removed, & still condemn the product in question, since they have that ingrained predgudice.

I'm not citing any particular person here, nor am i debating whether it's fact or not, its 100% undeniable truth of the human condition. All I'm saying is that it's always best to try for yourself and formulate your own opinion. No one should ever let another person do they're thinking for them unless there a child or mentally incapable of making their own decisions. You just have to ask yourself is that you ? Or Are you able to make your own decisions?

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
Imo, due to past issues with Microsoft programs and operating systems its become the "default opinion" to not like Microsoft. Now it's so ingrained into people's thoughts that it's just easier to continually dislike it or parrot others opinions instead of actually trying it for ones self,and formulating the opinion for yourself (based on fact & experience). I feel that once a program like Internet explorer for example has been so unpopular for so long that it becomes easier for people to believe that a newer product from the same company would also be crap, and it requires fewer and fewer examples or instances of it actually performing poorly to become a commonly accepted "fact". I myself am guilty of this, I wouldn't even give edge a try but once I had ,I actually found that it was pretty damn good.

I think the same could be said for operating systems. People had terrible experiences with vista or 8.1, and now all it takes is one person reading that one comment somewhere that is negative ,and it justifies the easier opinion based on past experience & prejudice as opposed to factual current experience with the newer OS. Hell, in many cases a person can just hear of someone having a bad experience , not even directly having it themselves, once, twice, or more removed, & still condemn the product in question, since they have that ingrained predgudice.

I'm not citing any particular person here, nor am i debating whether it's fact or not, its 100% undeniable truth of the human condition. All I'm saying is that it's always best to try for yourself and formulate your own opinion. No one should ever let another person do they're thinking for them unless there a child or mentally incapable of making their own decisions. You just have to ask yourself is that you ? Or Are you able to make your own decisions?
Perfect analysis. Thanks for the read @jboydgolfer