• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard Pays Generous Bounty for Original Starcraft "Gold Master" Source CD

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
It's never fun to be contacted by a legal department and be told that something you bought online is not rightfully yours. Still, this occasionally does happen in the case of intellectual property that has been misplaced and is not supposed to be resold. Example: The case of Reddit user Khemist49, who found himself in possession of a CD-ROM claiming to be the original source code for the game "StarCraft." Where did he get said disc? A box of "old Blizzard-related stuff" he bought on Ebay in April. Thinking he had something special, he posted on Reddit asking what to do with it.

He got the usual answers of course. Post it somewhere, be a god among pirates, etc... but Khemist49 did the unthinkable instead: He actually turned the game in to Blizzard. Of course, Blizzard legal was involved in influencing his decision, but this story is not without heart, for it has a happy ending. Upon returning the CD, Blizzard proceeded to shower him with a pile of gifts including a $250 gift card for the Blizzard Store, a Razer keyboard, and a lot of other goodies. Blizzard even offered to pay for Khemist49 to come to BlizzCon that year.

It's nice to see a company reward its users for doing the right thing for a change, if nothing else.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
generous...

Multi-billion dollar corporation, 250$, a ticket to their own show, a 40$ game...

Technically, they owed him nothing but a stern stare. Generous may be relative, but generous it is from a legal standpoint.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I don't want to know how much blizzard would pay if he decided not to show that disc until decades later.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Nice gesture for sure. It doesn't sound like he paid anywhere near what Blizzard gave him in return.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Nice gesture for sure. It doesn't sound like he paid anywhere near what Blizzard gave him in return.

nice ST-TNG reference, had to look 2x to be sure thats what I was seeing :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
To my knowledge, Blizzard wanted this returned due to some "trade secrets" in their IP. And if that's true, they should have given him like $10,000 in cash; enough to encourage the return of lost confidential material, but not enough to encourage extortion.

Anyone thinking a 19 year old source code dump is worth millions by itself is mistaken. It's not like this code is going to be valuable for competing developers out there. Any developer who has worked on a large project knows you can't copy and paste code from random sources into your own code base, in most cases it requires more adjustments than writing your own stuff. Just getting to know a large foreign code base usually takes months for skilled developers. So Blizzard shouldn't be worried that the competition would change from such leaks. It's not like big source dumps have changed things in the past. Many years ago large parts of the Windows 2000 source code was dumped, but that didn't spawn any "forks" of Windows or give "competitors" like Linux any new advantage.

Personally I think that products that no longer have any commercial value should be open sourced, if only to be used as research for education and historical preservation. It's not like this would impact any trademarks.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
To my knowledge, Blizzard wanted this returned due to some "trade secrets" in their IP. And if that's true, they should have given him like $10,000 in cash; enough to encourage the return of lost confidential material, but not enough to encourage extortion.

Anyone thinking a 19 year old source code dump is worth millions by itself is mistaken. It's not like this code is going to be valuable for competing developers out there. Any developer who has worked on a large project knows you can't copy and paste code from random sources into your own code base, in most cases it requires more adjustments than writing your own stuff. Just getting to know a large foreign code base usually takes months for skilled developers. So Blizzard shouldn't be worried that the competition would change from such leaks. It's not like big source dumps have changed things in the past. Many years ago large parts of the Windows 2000 source code was dumped, but that didn't spawn any "forks" of Windows or give "competitors" like Linux any new advantage.

Personally I think that products that no longer have any commercial value should be open sourced, if only to be used as research for education and historical preservation. It's not like this would impact any trademarks.
Perhaps there are aspects of the game engine that they are still using today? Wearing a conspiracy hat for a second, what if the source code revealed that it was Blizzard that had stepped on someone else's copyright? It's been known to happen.

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown

Tell that to Gearbox, who are never to re-release (read "make money") Homeworld Cataclysm, cause it's source code has been lost for years.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Perhaps there are aspects of the game engine that they are still using today?
Very unlikely. Even the game logic part has probably been rewritten for Starcraft II.

Wearing a conspiracy hat for a second, what if the source code revealed that it was Blizzard that had stepped on someone else's copyright? It's been known to happen.
Yes, it's been known to happen, so it's not far fetched at all.
I would say the possible explanations are:
- Source contains licensed IP (very common even today)
- Source contains stolen IP
- Source may reveal vulnerabilities in online services (battle.net in this case)
- Source may reveal a super-smart algorithm (unlikely)

Still, I would have loved to spend a couple of weekends reading through the code just to see how well written it is.

Tell that to Gearbox, who are never to re-release (read "make money") Homeworld Cataclysm, cause it's source code has been lost for years.
Yes, you are right. If the developer has lost the source code then it can be worth millions to them, but it's still "worthless" to others.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
while some say his actions is for the good, others say that he should've copied the disc in secret & then give back to Blizzard. To me, outdated source code or not, it's something that belongs to the developers & it's up to them whether to disclose it or not.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Yes, you are right. If the developer has lost the source code then it can be worth millions to them, but it's still "worthless" to others.

Dude, loosing a ”source code” is getting a cliche even on the low budget Boliwood movies or such. Common. If you think there aren't 1 million+ copies and backups, then....lol.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Dude, loosing a ”source code” is getting a cliche even on the low budget Boliwood movies or such. Common. If you think there aren't 1 million+ copies and backups, then....lol.

Again, Homeworld Cataclysm.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I have a tad different definition of "generous".
On the other hand, I don't think anyone would care about mentioned sources anyhow.

Again, Homeworld Cataclysm.
Was developed by a tiny studio that got renamed/disbanded/whatnot.

I wouldn't expect this kind of shit to happen to Blizzard, which flourished and broke revenue/income records like from the very beginning, which decade ago had a team of 85 dudes doing game cinematic alone.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Embarrassing.

I would have uploaded it out of spite. Threaten me and you'll just get a beating.

Im sure that certain ppl would be happy if they had source code for last version of HoMaM 3 including all datadiscs. :D

System Name Intranetusa PC
Processor i7 2600K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asrock P67 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master N520
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Video Card(s) GTX1060
Storage Samsung SSD, Samsung 1TB Spinpoint, Hitachi 2TB
Case Cooler Master Elite
Power Supply Zalman 750watt PSU
Software Windows 7
Technically, they owed him nothing but a stern stare. Generous may be relative, but generous it is from a legal standpoint.

That would depend on how stupid their legal department is in potentially creating a PR disaster.

They may have the legal standing, but going after him would be penny wise but dollar foolish.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
If blizzard me offered me that as a reward I'd of accidentally lost the source code.

Cheap bastards, yes they owe the guy nothing but considering the potential damage he could of done it's almost insulting.

I mean at the least offer like life time wow subscription or something, something that would cost blizzard nothing but has a high value.

System Name Main Workstation
Processor Ryzen 1700 @ 3800 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1800 Classified
Storage Crucial MX200 500 GB
Case BC1 Open Benchtable Silver
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD 650 /w Apogee Groove and Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860W
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Leopold FC980C White /w Hasu controller
Software Windows 10 64 bit
They put $250 on his account for purchases over the Blizzard store, mailed him all those things in the picture, and offered to pay for his flight, ticket, and hotel room for Blizzcon. There was also no "negotiation" to secure those goods or the $250 on his account before he mailed the CD back. He simply mailed the CD back and Blizzard randomly surprised him with those gifts.

It isn't so much about how much these gifts are worth, but, rather, about the way Blizzard chose to react and interact with Khemist49. Blizzard could have given him $10,000, but instead thought about what someone who actually purchased a bunch of random Blizzard-related junk on Ebay—probably also someone who grew up with Blizzard's games and still loves playing their games today—would appreciate getting as a thank you gift. I mean, haven't you ever wracked your brains over what to get a friend for their birthday instead of simply putting a $50 bill into an envelope with a happy birthday card?

Last edited:
They put $250 on his account for purchases over the Blizzard store, mailed him all those things in the picture, and offered to pay for his flight, ticket, and hotel room for Blizzcon. There was also no "negotiation" to secure those goods or the $250 on his account before he mailed the CD back. He simply mailed the CD back and Blizzard randomly surprised him with those gifts.

It isn't so much about how much these gifts are worth, but, rather, about the way Blizzard chose to react and interact with Khemist49. Blizzard could have given him $10,000, but instead thought about what someone who actually purchased a bunch of random Blizzard-related junk on Ebay - probably then also someone who grew up with Blizzard's games, someone who still loves to play their games today - would appreciate getting as a meaningful thank you gift. I mean, haven't you ever wracked your brains over what to get a friend for their birthday instead of simply putting a $50 bill into an envelope with a happy birthday card?

If you put it like this, yes it does sound nice, but that disk is something unique, something worth far far more than a mouse a keyboard or even blizcon ticket.
Why do people pay hundreds of milions on an 80 year old rols royce, they cannot drive? Its something unique, nobody else has. The same with this disk, while worthless by itself it is unique, and this gives him so much more value.

Last edited:

It isn't so much about how much these gifts are worth, but, rather, about the way Blizzard chose to react and interact with Khemist49. Blizzard could have given him $10,000, but instead thought about what someone who actually purchased a bunch of random Blizzard-related junk on Ebay - probably then also someone who grew up with Blizzard's games, someone who still loves to play their games today - would appreciate getting as a meaningful thank you gift. I mean, haven't you ever wracked your brains over what to get a friend for their birthday instead of simply putting a $50 bill into an envelope with a happy birthday card?
It just shows how dumb the guy is. I seen this story posted is so many sites now and every time, it sounds like PR push from blizzard when the whole thing costed the billion dollar company like $1000 total. Fools who don't know the value of their assets will walk away from a scam thinking they got the better deal.

System Name Main Workstation
Processor Ryzen 1700 @ 3800 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1800 Classified
Storage Crucial MX200 500 GB
Case BC1 Open Benchtable Silver
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD 650 /w Apogee Groove and Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860W
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Leopold FC980C White /w Hasu controller
Software Windows 10 64 bit
It just shows how dumb the guy is.

If I somehow lose, say, my laptop and someone returns it to me for free, that person is simply doing what is morally right.

Last edited:
The comments section really just shows how little people value someone else's possessions. Whether it's a company asset, or a personal possession; unique, or mass produced and distributed; worth millions, or worthless, if it's someone else's possession, then it's morally and legally correct to return it to them.
You may consider the reward not so generous, but large rewards can be investigated under extortion and bribery laws. Dealing with that could be an enormous headache for the company, and lead to annoyed shareholders.

Speaking of value, considering Blizzard is going to sell a remake that is backwards compatible, the source would be useful for modders and cheaters especially. If you can exploit the game at a source level, you can gain an advantage in online games, while being less likely to be discovered. There's always someone that will attach value to that. Even with the patches changing things, as long as the source at networking level hasn't changed dramatically, exploits would still be possible.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
That would depend on how stupid their legal department is in potentially creating a PR disaster.

They may have the legal standing, but going after him would be penny wise but dollar foolish.

Of course. I was only speaking from a legal perspective. What they did makes perfect sense from a PR perspective... which is why they did it. What the guy did (turning it in) also makes perfect sense when you realize posting it online could easily have netted him jail time and/or a hefty legal fine.

It isn't so much about how much these gifts are worth, but, rather, about the way Blizzard chose to react and interact with Khemist49. Blizzard could have given him $10,000, but instead thought about what someone who actually purchased a bunch of random Blizzard-related junk on Ebay—probably also someone who grew up with Blizzard's games and still loves playing their games today—would appreciate getting as a thank you gift. I mean, haven't you ever wracked your brains over what to get a friend for their birthday instead of simply putting a $50 bill into an envelope with a happy birthday card?

That's what I thought was touching. They actually kind of looked at this guy said "hey, he likes Blizzard. We can provide that." Not a bad move at all IMO.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
It just shows how dumb the guy is. I seen this story posted is so many sites now and every time, it sounds like PR push from blizzard when the whole thing costed the billion dollar company like $1000 total. Fools who don't know the value of their assets will walk away from a scam thinking they got the better deal.
Speaking of showing how dumb someone can appear.
You are aware stolen goods are not your property just because you bought them right?