• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces High Performance Computing Platform - "Naples" is EPYC

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
To all the people here:

Only kids care WHAT the name of the CPU is; men/professionals care about shear performance. It might seems as trolling alot of you guys but I think you are caught in at the point where talking about CPUs means more than actual CPUs. Complaining about the naming when 7 years of development is articualted into a product (whether intel or AMD) seems almost benign ignorance. I hope most of you subject your world to a higher level of critism. How many systemadmins will be like; "20% more power.... but the name... we'll pass" (fired within a week)

Well, they could have called it something like Content Rendering and Productivity...but people probably would still buy it anyway. ;)

To all the people here:

Only kids care WHAT the name of the CPU is; men/professionals care about shear performance. It might seems as trolling alot of you guys but I think you are caught in at the point where talking about CPUs means more than actual CPUs. Complaining about the naming when 7 years of development is articualted into a product (whether intel or AMD) seems almost benign ignorance. I hope most of you subject your world to a higher level of critism. How many systemadmins will be like; "20% more power.... but the name... we'll pass" (fired within a week)
:respect:

Only kids care WHAT the name of the CPU is; men/professionals care about shear performance.
This is possibly the most naive comment I've seen on this forum lately.
Complaining about the naming when 7 years of development is articualted into a product (whether intel or AMD) seems almost benign ignorance.
Well... a child needs 9 months of pregnancy and years of taking care of and educating. And at some point in life it will not be chosen in a recruitment process for some company's spokesman. Not because he didn't have enough qualification, but simply because the board didn't want to be represented by someone called Dick.
How many systemadmins will be like; "20% more power.... but the name... we'll pass" (fired within a week)
Who here is a sysadmin for a large company and has full freedom of choosing the brand of server equipment - raise hand...

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
I had full freedom when I held that title :)

deu

Processor AMD 3900X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Mouse G403
Benchmark Scores XX
This is possibly the most naive comment I've seen on this forum lately.

Well... a child needs 9 months of pregnancy and years of taking care of and educating. And at some point in life it will not be chosen in a recruitment process for some company's spokesman. Not because he didn't have enough qualification, but simply because the board didn't want to be represented by someone called Dick.

Who here is a sysadmin for a large company and has full freedom of choosing the brand of server equipment - raise hand...

Dude; you can get mad all you want; Real people make decisions based on relevant information; Acting as if the name even remotely matters to a industry that put all its effort into power and uptime just exposes you as a live-at-home teen or a manbaby. CPU's are not babies; they are inanimate physical representation of performance. Stop thinking that the world thinks like you would; there is a industry that could not care less about the name. Do you think the Chinese goverment and CERN will pull out of their endevor just because the print on the CPU is EPYC?

And in regards to your last answer; Anyone choosing their 1000-core serverfarm etc. based of the NAME of the CPU should get fired instantaneously.

Dude; you can get mad all you want; Real people make decisions based on relevant information; Acting as if the name even remotely matters to a industry that put all its effort into power and uptime just exposes you as a live-at-home teen or a manbaby. CPU's are not babies; they are inanimate physical representation of performance. Stop thinking that the world thinks like you would; there is a industry that could not care less about the name. Do you think the Chinese goverment and CERN will pull out of their endevor just because the print on the CPU is EPYC?

Again: "dude", "manbaby". This is just sad.

But OK, I'll try differently. Do you like the name Ryzen? Don't you think it was a great choice considering what we see now... even in comments on TPU: "AMD has Ryzen" and so on.
This is the same marketing idea after all. Risen->Ryzen, Epic->Epyc.
It's just that "risen" is a normal word. "Epic" is a word used by people that say "dude".

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
OMG, people in this thread need to grow up. I just voiced an opinion wait it wasn't even an opinion just an assumption on how I'm going to die a little on the inside from the jokes on the name that I know will be coming from certain individuals. Now we have name calling, indirect insults, and the all pervasive and annoyingly pompous "if you are a real X enthusiast/person you do/don't about Y" statement. Holy Shit, when did TPU turn into reddit.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
We're getting dangerously close to "you can't be a tech person if you have stylish trousers, date a pretty girlfriend and go out to a club on Friday evening".
No, we aren't, it's just you with logical fallacies.

Technical person picking one CPU over the other, because one has a BETTER NAME is an incompetent idiot. This has nothing to do whatsoever with his/her private life, way he/she is dressing and pretty much anything else.

There are no sysadmins in large companies (we might, perhaps, have different understanding of what "large company" means) that are choosing the brand of the server equipment, as in large companies it's not their job to do it.

Product are evaluated by a number of focused groups, including infrastructure architects and at some point purchasing department also weighs in.

CPU code name is NEVER EVER EVER taken into account as it has absolutely no practical impact.

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
At first I pronounced it the same way as EVGA then I realize that it is supposed to be pronounced "Epic" and I was like :wtf: :shadedshu:

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
No, we aren't, it's just you with logical fallacies.

Technical person picking one CPU over the other, because one has a BETTER NAME is an incompetent idiot. This has nothing to do whatsoever with his/her private life, way he/she is dressing and pretty much anything else.

No one ever said they weren't going to not pick a cpu over the over because of a name. So why are even discussing this?

deu

Processor AMD 3900X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Mouse G403
Benchmark Scores XX
Again: "dude", "manbaby". This is just sad.

But OK, I'll try differently. Do you like the name Ryzen? Don't you think it was a great choice considering what we see now... even in comments on TPU: "AMD has Ryzen" and so on.
This is the same marketing idea after all. Risen->Ryzen, Epic->Epyc.
It's just that "risen" is a normal word. "Epic" is a word used by people that say "dude".

You dont seem to understand the point; A name for a mainstream CPU is MORE important due to the fact that SOME of its potential buyers actually buy based of the naming scheme. Trust me in the EPYC segment the people buying will NOT. We are talking about professional people making informed purcases of thousands of dollars worth of hardware. Its not a soccermom or a 14 year old kid buying a celeron-i7 CPU. You can argue all you want; I understand the importance of a name (my future relies on it), but you just have to trust me on this or be forsaken and lost forever.

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
No one ever said they weren't going to not pick a cpu over the over because of a name. So why are even discussing this?
You perhaps need to re-read the thread.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
You perhaps need to re-read the thread.

I did before I posted.The only one else who raised any issue about the questionable name was notb and he said nothing of the sort and I know what I said.

Last edited:
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
I did before I posted that the only one else who raised any issue about the questionable name was notb and he said nothing of the sort and I know what I said.

It is exactlz what notb meant and I am not sure what you have to do with it.