• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua Introduces New A-series Fans and Accessories

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Noctua today expanded its award-winning A-series of premium-quality quiet cooling fans with new 200mm, 120mm and 40mm models. Thanks to the series' signature features such as Flow Acceleration Channels and AAO (Advanced Acoustic Optimisation) frames, the new NF-A20, NF-A12x15 and NF-A4x20 provide outstanding performance and superb quietness of operation. All models come with Noctua's trusted SSO2 bearings and a full 6-year manufacturer's warranty. In addition to the new fans, Noctua introduced the new NA-FC1 fan controller, NA-SAV3 and NA-SAV4 anti-vibration mounts and NA-SAC5 S-ATA power adaptor cable.

"Customers have been asking us for 20cm and slim 12cm fans for years, but meeting the quality standard users have come to expect from Noctua fans in these form factors has proven very challenging, so it took us quite some time to make sure that these fans live up to our name", explains Roland Mossig (Noctua CEO). "The NF-A4x20 has been conceived following requests by our industrial clients who are looking for a 40mm fan that provides superior performance in pressure-demanding applications as compared to the existing NF-A4x10."

With the 20cm NF-A20, Noctua's biggest fan yet, the key challenge was that the mass of the impeller is about four times greater than that of 12 or 14cm fans and thus creates a significantly higher load on the bearing. In the end, the difficulties were overcome by increasing the diameter of the axis and the bearing from 3mm to 4mm in order to distribute the load over a larger bearing surface, as well as by using a new fibreglass reinforced polypropylene (PP) material, which reduces the mass of the impeller by 26% as compared to Noctua's standard fibreglass reinforced PBT material.

For the 12cm NF-A12x15, a steel-reinforced motor hub and brass axle mount are being used in order to assure the required stability despite the fan's 15mm thin profile. Both the NF-A20 and the NF-A12x15 will come in 4-pin PWM versions for automatic speed control and 3-pin FLX versions that include Low-Noise and Ultra-Low-Noise adaptors, which give full flexibility in configuring the fan for maximum cooling capacity or near-silent acoustics.

The NF-A4x20 complements Noctua's popular NF-A4x10 models: With 20 rather than 10mm thickness, the NF-A4x20 is better suited for applications that require higher pressure performance such as in servers or tightly packed enclosures. The NF-A4x20 will come in 12V 4-pin PWM and 12V 3-pin FLX versions for PC use and other 12V applications as well as in dedicated 5V and 5V PWM versions, which are ideal replacement fans for 5V-based switches, routers, DVRs or other devices.

All of the new fans share the A-series' renowned quiet cooling performance as well as signature features such as Flow Acceleration Channels, Advanced Acoustic Optimisation (AAO) frames or SSO2 bearings. Like all A-series fans, the new NF-A20, NF-A12x15 and NF-A4x20 have an MTTF rating of more than 150,000 hours and come with a full 6-year manufacturer's warranty.

In addition to the new quiet cooling fans, Noctua expanded its range of fan accessories: The new NA-FC1 is a compact, highly flexible controller for 4-pin PWM fans that can both work on its own for manual speed reduction and also work in tandem with the automatic motherboard fan control. By adjusting the NA-FC1's speed control dial, users can either manually set a PWM duty cycle from 0 to 100% or reduce the PWM duty cycle supplied by PC motherboards in order to have the fans running slower than the automatic motherboard fan control would allow. Thanks to the supplied 3-way split cable and power supply adaptor, up to 3 fans can be controlled simultaneously.

The new NA-SAV3 and NA-SAV4 silicone anti-vibration mounts have five defined, numbered pawls that allow them to work perfectly with both standard open corner fans and 10, 14, 15, 20 or 25mm thick fans with closed corners. This makes the new mounts ideal for slim fans such as the new NF-A12x15 where other anti-vibration mounts may not fit properly. While the NA-SAV feature a double-side design that makes them much easier to work with in space-restricted environments or placements where the fan's mounting holes are difficult to reach, the NA-AV4 have a flat case-side end that is flush with the case panel and thus provides for a clean exterior look.

The new NA-SAC5 is a fully sleeved S-ATA to 4-pin power adaptor cable. It is compatible with both 3-pin and 4-pin fans and allows them to be powered directly from the power supply's S-ATA connectors. Combined with the existing NA-SYC1 y-cables, the NA-SAC5 is ideal for powering multiple high-wattage fans without risking damage to the motherboard fan header.

Prices and availability
All of the new products are currently shipping and will be available shortly. The suggested retail prices are as follows:
View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
Not going to lie, that A20 looks dope...

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
That A4 can fit on my sabertooth x99 perfectly. maybe it is time to ditch the noisy asua fan.

Processor Intel 7700K 5.1Ghz (Intel advised me not to OC this CPU)
Motherboard Asus Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum
Memory 48GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 Dual Channel (2x16 & 2x8)
Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Storage Intel 760p 2280 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MPG27CQ Black 27" 1ms 144hz
Case Thermaltake View 71
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 Platinum2
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro (not recommded, I am on my second mouse with same defect)
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Benchmark Scores Yes I am Intel fanboy that is my benchmark score.
I care about Quality over the looks. Noctua certainly provides that.

That A4 can fit on my sabertooth x99 perfectly. maybe it is time to ditch the noisy asua fan.

I can tell you few things about that... DON'T. I have the NF-A4x10 that I wanted to fit on my Sabertooth X99 and I was LESS than impressed with it.

Here's why:

Firstly, it didn't even fit into the fan slot because it has weird dimensions. Holes spacing is 40x40, but the actual fan frame is larger on corners, so I had to shave them off a bit using sandpaper/file to even fit into the socket.
The mounting holes are too deep, so when you try to screw it in, the screw doesn't press it in there before it hits the thread limiter. So I had to place tiny springs on the screws to keep it pressed down.

Secondly, of all the fancy names they use for various tech on teh fan, from special shaped fan blades, specially shaped intake, special bearings, special motor, it was whistling, buzzing noisy mess. Ugh. Totally not what I was expecting from highly praised fan maker like Noctua.

Thirdly, in my particular case, the position of Sabertooth X99 VRM cooling fan was partially blocked by an exhaust fan on the case which in addition to already noisy fan made it whine at some really annoying frequency.

I've also made a review some time ago, you can read it here:
https://rejzor.wordpress.com/2015/10/03/noctua-nf-a4x10-flx-40mm-and-noiseblocker-xm-2-fan-review/

As you can see from review, I've used my older Noiseblocker fan. Pushes a bit less air, but it's absolutely silent at full speed. Or just try some other maker. There aren't many options, I could find one 40x40 from Gelid that uses FDB bearings at that tiny size, but I haven't actually bought it so I don't know how it behaves. Would buy a new 40x40 Noiseblocker one for sure. Just be aware that Noiseblocker has 2 models, one which I was using at 10mm thickness and another one that pushes more air and has double the thickness at 20mm. I couldn't buy the thicker one because of the before mentioned exhaust fan covering it and it just wouldn't fit. If you have enough space there, take the thicker Noiseblocker. I guarantee you it'll be better than Noctua.

10mm Noiseblocker
http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/p...-fans/nb-blacksilentfan-series/40x40x10mm.php

20mm Noiseblocker
http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/p...fans/nb-blacksilent-pro-series/40x40x20mm.php

10mm Gelid
http://gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solutions/case-fan-silent-4/

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Noctua is an absolute no-go with a windowed case. I've thought that they're the ugliest fans since 2006, tho I know that they are high quality.

To @mcraygsx and @9700 Pro

I was disappointed twice so far and I don't think I'll be touching Noctua ever again. And it wasn't even their horrid color scheme. As you can read above for the 40x40, it was a really bad experience. And few years ago, I built a system for a friend, he bought a Noctua tower cooler which had the big 120mm fan. And when it was running, regardless of speed, it made this clicking noise which just ran at faster pace when using higher RPM. And I also remember motor made a lot of buzzing noise.
I really don't know what people see in Noctua. Because I certainly don't have good experience with them. Or I was just so god damn unlucky, but I highly doubt it.

Would buy Noiseblocker or Corsair fans anytime again. They look great and perform great. I've had many Noiseblocker fans over the years and just recently, I've re-employed my old 2x60mm fans to cool my VRM heatsink on my MSI X99A Gaming 7 by tying them together and placing them over VRM heatsink. All I had to do was to relube bearing of one which took me like 5 minutes and it'll be good for few years. Absolutely quiet and nice looking fans.

NB_Fans_3683658356.jpg

It now kinda looks like a psycho monkey with a gas mask XD That fan on the left is 120mm Noiseblocker SilentPro PWM. Been in service for years. Still as quiet as the day I bought it. Excellent fans.

Thinking of going nuts and grabbing heir latest Bionic ones. Just for the sake of fiddling with new stuff again :D

I like to see certain things just never change... When will they realize that this color looked sketchy 10 years ago? And how long until they realize that now it looks like a sketchy fan from 10 years ago? :wtf:

At least say you are going to offer better colors for this atrocity, Noctua. Yes, you're not the only silent fan business in the game anymore, which let you get away with this before.

Processor AMD Threadripper 3690x
Motherboard MSI TRX40 Pro 10G
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC
Storage 2x 1TB Intel 970 Pro NVM
Display(s) Dell U2415m x2
Case Fractal Define XL R2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Hyper X G6
Power Supply 800 Watt Fractal Design Newton R3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX-3.0 - Black Keys
Software Win 10 Edu
[...] it was whistling, buzzing noisy mess. Ugh. Totally not what I was expecting from highly praised fan maker like Noctua.

I am running a total of 6 Noctua fans, A4x10 FLX is one of them. None have the issue with whining or buzzing. The A4 is running 24/7 and the only reason that fan got noisy for me was when it was getting blocked by dust. Cleaned it out and issue solved.

I have had 2 fans that were faulty (grinding noise in the first 10 secs of running) which have been replaced by Noctua swiftly after contacting support.

So I will be staying with Noctua fans as they are of quality and more importantly the customer service is top notch...

PS. I dont care about the looks - dont have a window in my case and don't plan on getting one.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
To @mcraygsx and @9700 Pro

I was disappointed twice so far and I don't think I'll be touching Noctua ever again. And it wasn't even their horrid color scheme. As you can read above for the 40x40, it was a really bad experience. And few years ago, I built a system for a friend, he bought a Noctua tower cooler which had the big 120mm fan. And when it was running, regardless of speed, it made this clicking noise which just ran at faster pace when using higher RPM. And I also remember motor made a lot of buzzing noise.
I really don't know what people see in Noctua. Because I certainly don't have good experience with them. Or I was just so god damn unlucky, but I highly doubt it.

Would buy Noiseblocker or Corsair fans anytime again. They look great and perform great. I've had many Noiseblocker fans over the years and just recently, I've re-employed my old 2x60mm fans to cool my VRM heatsink on my MSI X99A Gaming 7 by tying them together and placing them over VRM heatsink. All I had to do was to relube bearing of one which took me like 5 minutes and it'll be good for few years. Absolutely quiet and nice looking fans.

View attachment 88083

It now kinda looks like a psycho monkey with a gas mask XD That fan on the left is 120mm Noiseblocker SilentPro PWM. Been in service for years. Still as quiet as the day I bought it. Excellent fans.

Thinking of going nuts and grabbing heir latest Bionic ones. Just for the sake of fiddling with new stuff again :D
Haha, totally agree! :toast:

I don't even know about the 40mm fans these days, the optional fans from my ex-rig's Z87 Sabertooth were noisy as hell, and with G3258 @ 4.7GHz it really didn't even need those. And yeah, those were some non-standard 35mm ones, so I didn't even bother to replace them with better ones.

Noctua's are pricey but definitely the best. I haven't used their 40mm products so I can't comment on the buzzing but I've never had their 92/120mm products be audible from more than a foot away and that's at 100%.

Great performance, unmatched CFM/dB, great cable options and noise dampening rubber comes standard.

Always worth the few extra dollars if you appreciate quality products.

I like to see certain things just never change... When will they realize that this color looked sketchy 10 years ago? And how long until they realize that now it looks like a sketchy fan from 10 years ago? :wtf:

At least say you are going to offer better colors for this atrocity, Noctua. Yes, you're not the only silent fan business in the game anymore, which let you get away with this before.

They do have black colored "industrial" fans. I just don't get it why their trademark needs to be butt ugly color scheme. I mean, you associate Ferrari with high performance and design, not with La Grande Turd Brown color... Noctua's moto seems to be the other way around. We'll have the unique color and we don't care if it's turd brown! Ok... XD

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I just don't get it why their trademark needs to be butt ugly color scheme.
I think their trade mark is an Owl logo, but they are known for their shitty brown fans.

System Name Luna Rossa
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2Ă—16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung SSD 990 Pro 4TB + Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U (32" 4K)
Case Sliger S620 (White)
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800BT
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Pulsar Xlite V2 Wireless
Keyboard Gok 7V (White) + Gateron X + GMK MoDo Light
Software Windows 11 Pro
[..] Secondly, of all the fancy names they use for various tech on teh fan, from special shaped fan blades, specially shaped intake, special bearings, special motor, it was whistling, buzzing noisy mess. Ugh. Totally not what I was expecting from highly praised fan maker like Noctua. [..]
I had the same experience as you with Noctua fans. I don't like their sound signature at all. Some have clicky sounds, and most of them sound too electric and high pitched. And their redux gray fans are even worse.

I normally use Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe (12cm), Thermalright (14cm for 12cm holes) and BeQuiet! (14cm) fans for my builds. They are good looking and sound much better, with a more neutral (lower frequency) tonality.

Oh yes, I forgot about the BeQuiet. The PSU fan in BeQuiet PSU is just stupendously quiet and has no noise signature what so ever. Granted, it's a very low RPM fan, but it doesn't seem to emit any buzzing or electric noise even at those speeds.

My next fans will either be Noiseblocker again or BeQuiet. Corsair screwed up the lineup a bit killing a lot of LED-less SP and AF models with lower RPM.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
A 20cm fan? That doesn't sound useful in any way, shape or form.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Old comments are getting old.

That said that new Fan Controller is very interesting, might be a nice solution for a case without any Drive Bays.

Id like to see Noctua dive into GPU Cooling as well, take on the Arctic Accelero Line (which i happily use for over 12 years now)

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Mouse Logitech MX518
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Processor i5 4670K @4.4GHz 1.239V
Motherboard Asus Z87M-PLUS
Cooling High Pressure Fan System
Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290 4GB
Storage 256GB Samsung 830, 500gb WD Blue 7200rpm
Display(s) 23inch Dell LCD
Case Silverstone Sugo SG10B
Power Supply Antec TP-750
Software Windows 10
I've bought a lot of different fans over the years, and in my experience Noctua are the best by far. The noise quality produced is far than any other fan I've used and they push a decent amount of air. I for one dont care what they look like, but I do care about how they sound and how much air they push.

Glad the 15mm fans are finally here, been waiting about 4 years since they first announced it!

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I care about Quality over the looks. Noctua certainly provides that.

BAM! Your damn right!

There are some cases on the market that require 20cm. I needed one for the last build that I did for my manager. Unfortunately, I had to settle for another brand which is a sin to me because I only buy Noctua for case cooling.

Video Card(s) nVIDIA Titan XP (Overclocks like a champ but stock performance is enough)
Case Thermaltake View 71

With 3D printable parts/mounts for motherboards, graphics cards, and peripherals (m.2) these small fans can be used to cool down specific device.

There are cases with side panel fan that's of huge dimensions.

Also that fan controller, people still use them? I just stick everything to motherboard, tweak the fan curves and leave it fully automated. When under load, fans ramp up, when it's idle on desktop it goes absolutely silent. I did buy a case with 3 step switch for fans, but I found out it's just not useful. Switching it yourself is annoying...

Case Thermaltake View 71
There are cases with side panel fan that's of huge dimensions.

Also that fan controller, people still use them? I just stick everything to motherboard, tweak the fan curves and leave it fully automated. When under load, fans ramp up, when it's idle on desktop it goes absolutely silent. I did buy a case with 3 step switch for fans, but I found out it's just not useful. Switching it yourself is annoying...

I suppose NOCTUA still think there is market for it maybe in Europe or Asia. But for me it is too redundant since I can choose to plug my fans into Carbide 600C or hydro 110i or just plain motherboard fan controller. I have two fans running in my system and dislike the noise, I am thinking about moving back to passive cooled Noctua D14.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Who gives a f*** about fan colour? Seriously. What kind of argument is this? Even if your case has one of those translucent side panel, a normal person is, most probably, looking at like, you know, the screen?