• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How would this system work out ? Need some advice on components to buy

Supposed system

-i7 7700
-Corsair Hydro H100i V2
-H270F Asus Strix
-G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8 2400mhz
-Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
-650w Seasonic X-650
-Corsair 400c case
-Corsair ML140 pro led 140mm x2 and 120mm x1
-970 Strix (currently owned)

I know that running a non overclocked cpu with a AIO Cooler or any decently fancy cooler is a waste, but it looks cool. Which totally matters more than anything else. I'd pick something like a Noctua but they're ugly as all hell and they are pretty damn large.

What I want out of the PC.
-Decent ++ Rated Eye Candy

-Quiet as much as it can, without sacrificing said eye candy

-Good Performance.

Lots of very trivial and nearly 100% unimportant things are going through my head such as:

-What HDD should I get, I don't want a noisy nuisance, does it even matter ? WD Blue? Red? Purple? Maybe Seagate ? (Indeed these are questions man has asked for eternity)

-Do I want an M2 NVMe like the 960 evo ? Is it a colossal waste of cash ?
-850 Evo or MX300?

-Will the H100i V2 blow up and kill my pc ?

-Will the H100i V2 end up causing too much damn noise and i will regret it all ?

I want your help so I can finally stop overthinking such barely relevant things.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Note: Main use for PC is gaming, wasting time browsing through all of the net, the occasional large af file conversion, occasional video rendering, nothing hardcore in productivity.

Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
I'll spend the extra $ and get z270 + 7700k. Also might as well get 3200 memory.

A custom loop would add tons more eye candy.

I'll spend the extra $ and get z270 + 7700k. Also might as well get 3200 memory.

A custom loop would add tons more eye candy.

Totally cannot disagree with that, but I gotta limit myself. Plus I can't afford to have a PC looking so good that i can't leave the room because i keep staring at it

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
You are spending that much and not upgrading your gpu.

I question your wisdom.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
I would get a fast i5 and a 1070...sell the 970 while prices are still strong.

My main questioning here is whether or not your average HDD is a pain to hear, if the h100i v2 cools decently and if its noise levels are okay, the overall build is somewhat of a rough draft since i'm not quite yet going to upgrade anything from my current decent system. I'll probably end up waiting a little more than i'm estimating (other than the gpu, i'm pretty sure i'll swap it in a year), which will likely end up with the core of the system being next gen, i'm quite patient.

-Not trying to overkill it in the looks department like that appealing as heck custom loop though. Also price, doing that will cost a noticeable amount would it not ?

-Is the difference in performance between a 2400mhz pair of ram and 3200mhz pair really that worth it ? Unless it'll suddenly make the thing improve greatly in everything, it'll probably be pretty pointless would it not ? If there is a pretty good improvement, i'll pick Corsair 3200mhz dominators instead

-If anyone has experienced a case where they had an overly lit up pc (yes i know there's never enough RGB but an answer would still be pretty informative), how many led fans and what not did it have that made it look too (literally) flashy ?

-Picked a non K CPU and an H over Z motherboard because well, I can't bother with overclocking. Personally find it pretty irrelevant, even though it will improve performance. But i'm not one to be picky about things like 65 fps vs 60. I'm picky about other redundant things.

Appearance wise i'm satisfied with the Corsair 400c with some LED Fans and some lighting on the ram (maybe GPU, since i tend to go with Asus a lot and their GPUs have RGB as well). I just want to know if sound and cooling wise everything will be in proportion, i hate it when the system goes loud (full load is fine, like the GPU fans spinning, i'd hate it if anything made humming or ticking type noises)

Last edited:
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
My main questioning here is whether or not your average HDD is a pain to hear, if the h100i v2 cools decently and if its noise levels are okay.

*** Average HDD's are barely noticeable nowadays, and ssds/M2 of course have no moving parts so they are 100% silent. The H100i is a very effective cooler, would probably only be noticable if constantly ran at very high rpms.

-Not trying to overkill it in the looks department like that appealing as heck custom loop though. Also price, doing that will cost a noticeable amount would it not ?

***Custom loops can be moderately to extremely expensive, depending on the materials used and their complexity/number of loops etc.

-Is the difference in performance between a 2400mhz pair of ram and 3200mhz pair really that worth it ? Unless it'll suddenly make the thing improve greatly in everything, it'll probably be pretty pointless would it not ? If there is a pretty good improvement, i'll pick Corsair 3200mhz dominators instead.

***Difference in performance yes, whether or not it is perceivable to you, or worth the $$, only you can decide that. I Suggest you try the 2400's first, and see if you are satisfied with them. If not order the 3200 or 3400's and sell the 24's....

-If anyone has experienced a case where they had an overly lit up pc (yes i know there's never enough RGB but an answer would still be pretty informative), how many led fans and what not did it have that made it look too (literally) flashy ?

***I have 7 led fans in my Air 540, and it is both noticeable and obvious, BUT.... that is the look I was going for when I did the build :)

(As soon as I find a AIO-240 loop with Red LEDs that I like, the tower cooler & it's LED fan will go away though)

lookie here: http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9641/0dPcWU.jpg

-Picked a non K CPU and an H over Z motherboard because well, I can't bother with overclocking. Personally find it pretty irrelevant, even though it will improve performance. But i'm not one to be picky about things like 65 fps vs 60. I'm picky about other redundant things.

***NO overclock, NO need for a K-series cpu, period. end of story. duh.

Appearance wise i'm satisfied with the Corsair 400c with some LED Fans and some lighting on the ram (maybe GPU, since i tend to go with Asus a lot and their GPUs have RGB as well). I just want to know if sound and cooling wise everything will be in proportion, i hate it when the system goes loud (full load is fine, like the GPU fans spinning, i'd hate it if anything made humming or ticking type noises)

***see my note above about the LED fans ^^ nothing you have listed will hum or tick that I know of....

Hope this helps :D

System Name pr0n box, Version 10
Processor i7-14700K stock, waiting for 14900KS
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite X Wifi7
Cooling EK CR360 Dark AIO
Memory 32GB Trident Z5 A-die @ DDR5-7400 CL34
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 24GB Sapphire Nitro+ @ stock OC bios
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Asus VG34V 34" Ultrawide, 1440p165, HDR10
Case Fractal North
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, FX-Audio DAC X6, DTS Headphone:X
Power Supply be quiet! PurePower12M ATX3.0 1200W Gold
Mouse Corsair Dark Core Pro SE RGB
Keyboard Corsair K57
Benchmark Scores valid.x86.fr/lyb3l6 -- all stock -- 900/14800! userbenchmark.com/UserRun/65685079
I suggest:

• Faster ram, 2400 isn't that fast, and some games can benefit. I recently found 3000 to be the best deal before cost starts getting high (3200 cost a lot more than 3000)
  • Go with any old samsung evo M.2 drive
  • That PSU is excellent, I've had one for about four years. It ran an overclocked fx8350 and two gtx670 in SLI, no problem, and it's dead quiet.
  • The 7700k can run warm. If you want a quiet rig you'll want a good cooler. Can't comment on the H100i

System Name The Yellow Box
Processor AMD K5 100
Motherboard Intel 5DVX0130
Cooling A snazzy stock cooler
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Video Card(s) ATI Mach 64 4MB + Creative Voodoo 8MB
Storage IBM 1.6GB IDE + IBM 3.2GB IDE
Display(s) 15" AOC CRT (Terrible, terrible POS)
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster
Power Supply No name 200W
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se
Suggestion:
- Get a R5 1600/1600x instead of the 7700/7700k.
- Sell the GTX 970.
- Use the saving from the switch to the R5, and the money you got from the 970, and buy a 1070.

For the rest of your questions:
- WD Red 3TB+
- Not really worth it to get the 960 Evo. You won't really notice the difference in speed, and you can get a 500GB 850 for the price of a 250GB 960. 850 Evo has a slight edge, but get whichever you can get cheaper. The MX300 can be had for really cheap if you catch one of the specials.
- YES, it will. After that it will come after you, and your family.
- No idea. I stay away from AIO, too expensive for what they offer. On a side note, the Hydro does seem to be quite positively rated.
I prefer old fashioned AIR for my cooling, and building a custom loop is cheap if you don’t mind buying off the bay.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Why am I getting CPU recommendations that are steadily going weaker and weaker XD from the intended i7, to an i5, and R5 1600 and now a 1500

It won't come at the expense of a GPU, i still have intentions of getting the next gen GTX xx70 or maybe even xx80 ti

Case Fractal North
Keyboard Corsair K57
Benchmark Scores valid.x86.fr/lyb3l6 -- all stock -- 900/14800! userbenchmark.com/UserRun/65685079
Why am I getting CPU recommendations that are steadily going weaker and weaker XD from the intended i7, to an i5, and R5 1600 and now a 1500

It won't come at the expense of a GPU, i still have intentions of getting the next gen GTX xx70 or maybe even xx80 ti

Because people love Ryzen :laugh:

The arguments are so inconsistent. "go i5, i7 has wasted/underutilized threads for gaming" and "go ryzen, more threads will be future proof" when you can just go i7 now, be fastest now, and have thread headroom.

And you'll want the H100i for sure. My Phanteks air cooler barely keeps up with stock voltages and 4.6 GHz OC, I break 85C in a matter of minutes with 5.0 GHz and the 5.0 OC profile provided by the Strix mobo.

Last edited:
System Name 3 "rigs"-gaming/spare pc/cruncher
Processor R7-5800X3D/i7-7700K/R9-7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme/Asus Ranger Z170/Asus ROG Crosshair X670E-GENE
Cooling Bitspower monoblock ,custom open loop,both passive and active/air tower cooler/air tower cooler
Memory 32GB DDR4/32GB DDR4/64GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6900XT Alphacooled/AMD RX5700XT 50th Aniv./SOC(onboard)
Storage mix of sata ssds/m.2 ssds/mix of sata ssds+an m.2 ssd
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2410 , HP 24x
Case mb box/Silverstone Raven RV-05/CoolerMaster Q300L
Audio Device(s) onboard/onboard/onboard
Power Supply 3 Seasonics, a DeltaElectronics, a FractalDesing
Mouse various/various/various
Keyboard various wired and wireless
VR HMD -
Software W10.someting or another,all 3
You listed the i7 7700 (you eat the "k" or is that what you going for)?
At first glance it's good to go, non k CPU can make use of higher speed rated ram on z series chipset if you'd go for, not sure about b/h/q chipsets, definitely check mb specs first.

Processor AMD K5 100
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se

Because most people don't notice/need the difference between an i5 and an i7.
Talking about your average user, playing games, web browsing, office, occasional rendering,…

That and the fact the i7 chips are even more OVERPRICED as Beer is at Oktoberfest. Especially now that Ryzen is out, and it’s actually good.
Plus you need to buy the K parts if you want to OC, and supporting AMD/competition is always good.

You listed the i7 7700 (you eat the "k" or is that what you going for)?
At first glance it's good to go, non k CPU can make use of higher speed rated ram on z series chipset if you'd go for, not sure about b/h/q chipsets, definitely check mb specs first.
If you read what he wrote, the non-K version is intentional (stupid as it may be).
Since he has a limited budget and “the looks” of the system are the main focus.

I mean, does the K have any advantage right out of the box ? While overclocking isn't rocket science, i swea
r i can't bother.

If getting a K with a decent Z board makes a relevant and noticeable difference (5 fps in games/barely recognizable speeds off games ain't worth it. I can stack candy with those shaved bucks and get fat)

From what i've seen the i7 7700k only beats the Ryzen competitor in games, and almost nothing else. So that's nice, but i'm too used to Intel, and have developed 1st class ignorance about AMD. I have trust issues since fx came around.

Performance is naturally important, atm only on 1920x1080, monitor wise i really am on a budget so for now it'll be focusing on the pc.

When possible 3440x1440. When I do upgrade the GPU from the current 970, i'll go for the highest end one that will be out at the time of said purchase.

I'm picking i7 over i5 because i want the best CPU i can get overall (i suppose Ryzen does take that cake, but 1st class ignorance. I've acknowledged it). The price difference isn't too drastic.

Other than performance, can't really have anything against a neat looking silent pc. Comfort is important you know

Last edited:
Processor AMD K5 100
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se
Well it's clocked higher for starters, and by a rather nice 600MHz. Besides that, if you plan to OC later down the line, you need a K series CPU. Resale value is also one of the considerations, since K chips retain their value much more than the regular chips.

Depends which games you like to play. Some have a rather noticeable difference in performance depending if it’s the K on non-K chip. On the other hand, some have 0% difference. Also while the 7700K beats Ryzen in games, the same can’t be said for the 7700. Best if you check benchmarks off the stuff you do/play.

For everyday tasks, gaming,… you won’t notice the difference between an i5 or an i7. It shows when doing more serious tasks like rendering.

Soo my suggestion would be get an K series i5 and OC it when you need more performance, or get an R5 1600/x; if you don’t plan to OC it doesn’t matter whether you go with AMD or Intel. Both are plug and play. Only difference is which sticker you get with the box. Pointless to spend the extra money on an i7, especially on an non-K one.

System Name Comet Lake
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10600K CPU @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Memory CORSAIR LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16 B-die
Video Card(s) GeForce® RTX 3060Ti™
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 1TB & Seagate 2TB ST2000DM008-2UB102
Display(s) Dell 24 Gaming Monitor - S2422HG 165 Hz Curved
Case AQIRYS Arcturus
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC1200 Codec | Logitech Z533
Power Supply RMx White Series™ RM750x
Mouse Genesis Krypton 770
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD N/A Skip
Software W10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores XXX
You are spending that much and not upgrading your gpu.

I question your wisdom.

And that came from a guy with a Sapphire WF gtx 970,cheers ))))

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
And that came from a guy with a Sapphire WF gtx 970,cheers ))))

The most expensive component in my PC is the GPU

System Name Comet Lake
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10600K CPU @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Memory CORSAIR LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16 B-die
Video Card(s) GeForce® RTX 3060Ti™
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 1TB & Seagate 2TB ST2000DM008-2UB102
Display(s) Dell 24 Gaming Monitor - S2422HG 165 Hz Curved
Case AQIRYS Arcturus
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC1200 Codec | Logitech Z533
Power Supply RMx White Series™ RM750x
Mouse Genesis Krypton 770
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD N/A Skip
Software W10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores XXX
U didn get it..sapphire windforce :D

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Case Fractal North
Keyboard Corsair K57
Sapphire does nvidia now? :eek:

Frankly, there is very little point in buying RAM faster than 2666 MHz because differences become kinda irrelevant from there on. Unless you get faster for same money, then by all means, take faster one. The rest seems fine.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
Or you can always get the Ryzen 1700x

@FR@NK i just had to do this

But yeah what do you need that cooler if your not gonna oc.