• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How sure are you about your AV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Yup, because a lot of people don't update it and refuse to switch to Windows 10. Also a lot of businesses are still installing Windows 7 on new systems (even Windows 10) because they want one platform for everyone.

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
WannaCry sure showed how that "I'm Mr. Smart Guy, I don't click things I don't know" has worked out... And what is that hassle? A false positive every few years?
Most AVs did not prevent machines from WannaCry, though. You come off as unnecessary arrogant and almost sound like a salesman for AV software. If machines were simply kept up to date, instead of "Mr. Smart Guy" thinking he knows better, using third party tools or messing with the registry to postpone security updates, foolishly assuming that his snake-oil software will actually protect against already known backdoors instead of adding more layers of potential attack surfaces for malicious threats, WannaCry would have done no damage at all.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Most AVs did not prevent machines from WannaCry, though. You come off as unnecessary arrogant and almost sound like a salesman for AV software. If machines were simply kept up to date, instead of "Mr. Smart Guy" thinking he knows better, using third party tools or messing with the registry to postpone security updates, foolishly assuming that his snake-oil software will actually protect against already known backdoors instead of adding more layers of potential attack surfaces for malicious threats, WannaCry would have done no damage at all.
No, it's the "Mr. Smart Guy" people who come off as arrogant. @RejZoR is absolutely correct. When you encounter actual security experts, you'll find they all use AV (as I said earlier, more properly called anti-malware now).

You are right that patched systems were protected, but it's also true that the major AV players like BitDefender, Kaspersky, and Avast! had this covered from the beginning as well with their web-filtering software. Why is that important? Look at the number of people on this very forum who proudly proclaim they don't update Windows, whether it be 7, 8.1 or 10.

Just adding more food for thought, not hostility. :)

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Not sure if anyone read this, but Windows 7 accounted for the most affected OS from the WannaCry outbreak. Windows 7 x64 being the bulk of Windows 7 versions that was hit.
That just proves W7 x64 is still the most widely used O.S. not that it is any more vulnerable.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
91% of infections were on Windows 7. Windows 7 does not have 91% marketshare. And yes, that is proof Windows 7 is more vulnerable, at least to that attack. Or rather, more people using Windows 7 are careless with updates and security. Just look around this forum in Windows 10 threads about people protesting leaving Windows 7. I ran into one of these people myself outside of TPU. All I can do is shake my head and scoff at them. Welcome to the 21st century where the internet is a never ending warzone.

They have prevented. If you're detecting binaries, how is it then suppose to "infect" anything? And that's exactly what they were doing. If you think I'm here as an AV "salesman", I couldn't care any less. Just don't come crying back here when you'll lose all your data to ransomware (not that I'm expecting any, because I know people who are the loudest now will be quiet as a mouse when they'll be nailed by ransomware).

I still preferred Windows 7 way of updating things because I had a complete control when and how I update. I've always updated as soon as updates were available, but on my own terms and not like Win10 does by just updating it and then you restart because you need to while i hurry and the damn thing begins updating (during which time you can't do anything). People who don't update for weeks and months, those are special class of idiots.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Which is why Microsoft adapted the strict policy it did with Windows 10. The best way to stop a small problem from becoming a big problem is to fix it and push the fix out to everyone. 48 hours, every running system is no longer vulnerable versus sometime never. Yeah, people get annoyed by the inconvenience and that is Microsoft's fault: not for doing it but not explaining the risks clearly and concisely what the potential consequences are of failing to update (e.g. ransomware). I think if people saw a message saying "your computer needs to restart to protect against ransomware," they'd restart immediately without fuss. Microsoft only conveys the seriousness of the situation through buried technical bulletins.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
I'm gonna guess that win7 has more victims because of the refusal to have the upgrade to Win10 shoved down their throats. The sole reason for win7 users to disable windows update. I dont think its about stupidity, but there is some of that involved too. Small business might have a more legitimate excuse not to upgrade due to costs, while a (work at home) neighbor didnt want to upgrade from XP because his programming software didnt work in win 7 and it wasnt updated. I shook my head at the latter thought train.:shadedshu:

Software Win10
They have prevented.
Very few actually did.
If you think I'm here as an AV "salesman", I couldn't care any less.
Neither could I. I simply don't like your tone at times. I don't mind people voicing their opinions, but I can't stand it when people fail to accept that opinions may differ. And none of us is knowledgeable enough (not just years of experience in IT, but actual facts on the matter; but reliable data on this very topic is somewhere between scarce to nonexistant) to have anything more than an educated opinion on the topic at hand.
Just don't come crying back here when you'll lose all your data to ransomware (not that I'm expecting any, because I know people who are the loudest now will be quiet as a mouse when they'll be nailed by ransomware).
Good backup practice makes sure there is no reason to cry. And there are other means to protect your network/machine(s) than AV software, too.
People who don't update for weeks and months, those are special class of idiots.
I guess you just called lots of users here on TPU idiots. But I kinda agree, it is not the best practice and not necessarily very clever.

No, it's the "Mr. Smart Guy" people who come off as arrogant. @RejZoR is absolutely correct. When you encounter actual security experts, you'll find they all use AV (as I said earlier, more properly called anti-malware now).
I've been working with quite a few in recent years. None of 'em was very fond of AV/anti-malware.
You are right that patched systems were protected, but it's also true that the major AV players like BitDefender, Kaspersky, and Avast! had this covered from the beginning as well with their web-filtering software. Why is that important? Look at the number of people on this very forum who proudly proclaim they don't update Windows, whether it be 7, 8.1 or 10.

No offense taken. And there's nothing to argue in this paragraph.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Wow, there was so much more to that anti-trust cry then just the anti virus part. m$ blocked other programs from running and/or from running correctly, Netscape ring a bell?.
As I said, Microsoft was trying to rule the world - but that was not the point. The point was, they wanted to put AV code in XP from the beginning, but Congress and the EU shot them down - and for the wrong reasons and that was a huge mistake. And the politicians know that now which is why they are not threatening to break up MS anymore.

And note Avast, BitDefender, Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, etc. aren't whining and crying monopoly anymore either - because they are getting filthy rich milking unsuspecting consumers who believe all their (and the Microsoft bashers) hype that WD is not good enough.
Most AVs did not prevent machines from WannaCry
True. But as you, me and others correctly noted several times, it would not have mattered if those users simply allowed Windows Update on those systems to update the systems.

IF Microsoft failed to patch that vulnerability in a timely manner, or the patch failed, then I think it fair to praise those products that covered the vulnerability. Otherwise, meh!

I'm gonna guess that win7 has more victims because of the refusal to have the upgrade to Win10 shoved down their throats. The sole reason for win7 users to disable windows update.
The sole reason? No way! Folks have been disabling WU ever since WU was introduced in Vista. And with W7, long before W8 came about. The W10 upgrade was just one reason for those people who felt they had to have total control.

But that was almost 2 years ago and almost a year since the nagging update icon was disabled when the free update period ended. And of course, there were tutorials everywhere on how to get rid of the Get Windows 10 icon anyway. So disabling WU for that reason was no excuse. And certainly no excuse to keep it disabled.

For the "Mr Smart Guy" who disables Windows Updates or runs without an anti-malware solution because he truly believes his experience, a degree or two, or some certs makes him smarter than the Microsoft developers and the bad guys, then he is more arrogant than smart - and likely graced with dumb luck too.

But for the "Mr Smart Guy" who really is smart and disciplined he (or she) can greatly minimize (but not totally prevent) the risk of infection when not using an anti-malware solution - but as noted way back in post #19, that still requires keeping Windows updated in a timely fashion, staying away from illegal activity, and avoid being click-happy. But only if he or she is the only user of that computer and on their network. And they still need a bit of luck too.

I can understand some folks "delaying" installing updates for a few days while they "listen for fallout" in the oft chance an update starts breaking things. But 2 months? Or indefinitely? That's just not smart.

Yeah, people get annoyed by the inconvenience and that is Microsoft's fault: not for doing it but not explaining the risks clearly and concisely what the potential consequences are of failing to update (e.g. ransomware).
And Microsoft is listening. It is simple to schedule reboots during your own "off hours" - like 3:30AM. I never get interrupted with update notifications or requests to reboot. And after you install the new Creators Update in W10, you can delay installing updates for up to 35 days if you really want. You can also tighten even more "privacy" settings - such as location settings and more.

But people really do need to understand and accept the difference between privacy and security. The difference is huge! Microsoft protects our security and is no where near the biggest threat to our privacy. Now that our illustrious leaders in Congress have rolled back the FCC's regulations protecting our privacy by allowing ISPs to sell information about our online habits, we have no privacy any more. For privacy fanatics, Microsoft is not your enemy. Your ISP, Google and Facebook are. And maybe your elected representatives too. :(

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
WannaCry sure showed how that "I'm Mr. Smart Guy, I don't click things I don't know" has worked out... And what is that hassle? A false positive every few years?
I'm sorry, should I be "Mr. Smart Guy" that installs crap on their machine? Over 10 years.... No issues. Not going to change now. Even if I got some crippling virus, so what. Wipe clean, start new. Smart people keep their PC's up to date and don't bother with A/V's that are worthless and just there to make money. Seems dumb for a gaming PC.

At work, I use a bunch of A/V's not for protection but for an outlet to complain to when their software doesn't work and I need to hold someone liable.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Smart people keep their PC's up to date and don't bother with A/V's that are worthless and just there to make money. Seems dumb for a gaming PC.
I think smart people still use A/V programs - just not the worthless ones there to make money. And of course, smart people keep current backups.

I don't see how a gaming PC makes any difference - assuming it still connects to the Internet, and downloads updates for the games. Gaming sites can be hijacked and turned malicious too.

It's not the function of computer that matters. It's if it connects to a network that has Internet access.

Last edited:
Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I could get hit by a truck but I don't go around wearing protective gear. If you or anyone else feel safer using one, by all means use one. There's other ways of protection in terms of financials and identity that work very well that I use. Well.. that I've paid for, never had to use yet.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I want to back up a tiny bit to clarify what I said in my last reply.

After thinking about this further, I don't want it to appear as though I am saying smart people don't use the expensive anti-malware solutions. Or that only those not-so smart do.

You can be extremely smart/intelligent but know nothing about computer security or the threats out there. Also, there are some extremely smart and very clever people in marketing working for these expensive anti-malware providers intent on getting you to subscribe to their products with those recurring annual money making fees.

A person does not have to be dumb to be duped by a clever marketing scam... err... scheme.

And the expensive solutions do work - an important fact not to be dismissed.

That said, it would be "ignorant" to not use an anti-malware solution if you did not consider and prepare for the risks. Ignorance does not imply stupidity - just a lack of knowledge of the facts. If you do your homework, keep your systems updated, keep current backups (and know how to restore from them), then running without anti-malware may be fine for you.

I would and do still advise using at least a basic anti-malware solution like MSE/WD and Windows Firewall - especially if you are not the only user of your computer, or there are other users on your network - unless you know for a fact those other users are more knowledgeable, experienced and disciplined than you.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Good advice.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Learn to use/configure ublock origin. If you are intelligent enough you can get away without any AV software.

I dont use AV anymore. If there is an emergency malwarebytes.

I'm sure Bill_B will blow a gasket.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Not blow a gasket, but I think it ill-advised to think uBlock Origin is all you need. Malware can enter your computer via other means besides your browser - as an email attachment for example. Or via downloads.

I don't use uBlock Origin. I use Adblock Latitude with Pale Moon, my default browser. And Adblock Plus with IE and Chrome but I can't remember the last time I called Chrome up. As noted before, Google is too big a privacy abuser. Well, I have uBlock Origin with Edge, but I don't use that either.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Used to be a palemoon user it got so far behind and had issues with html5 so bailed on it. I use FF 64 now you can disable telemetry in the options.

Email and downloading you eventually know/learn whats legit and where to go to download.

This is good too.
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

I think the only arrogance here is those saying their way is the highway, and that's certainly not me. My way works for me, but it's certainly not for mainstream or unstudied people in this subject matter. I'm not claiming anything else.

At the moment rtwjunkie (and let me preface this by saying that I have nothing but respect for you) the only ones I see selling their way as the "only" way is the antimalware crowd.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
At the moment rtwjunkie (and let me preface this by saying that I have nothing but respect for you) the only ones I see selling their way as the "only" way is the antimalware crowd
I understand your view and respect it. It's not a my way or the highway mentality, but a self preservation mentality. It's the people who think they are smarter than the bad guys, and are basically lucky, who will eventually get infected. Maybe before they know they are and take their reinstall steps, they can potentially spread that infection around. I just see it as a little selfish. We are part of a worldwide web, and I feel have a responsibility to keep others safe.

It's also why I am against people continuing with XP, unless they are completely offline. So yeah, those that don't use any protection are welcome to follow their procedures. Invariably, the tone of many (not you) comes accross as haughty as they join various threads and pronounce how awesome and careful they are, and imply that those of us who use protection are stupid. Hell, one said it in this very thread.

I'm sorry, should I be "Mr. Smart Guy" that installs crap on their machine? Over 10 years.... No issues. Not going to change now. Even if I got some crippling virus, so what. Wipe clean, start new. Smart people keep their PC's up to date and don't bother with A/V's that are worthless and just there to make money. Seems dumb for a gaming PC.

At work, I use a bunch of A/V's not for protection but for an outlet to complain to when their software doesn't work and I need to hold someone liable.

Ransomware aren't dumb worms and trojans where you just start with clean Windows. When it screws your data it screws it for good. Not all have fatal design flaws where you can decrypt it easily or shut it down. Some are irrecoverable. There is no "wipe, start clean".

AV's worthless and just there for money. Ok mr smarty pants, how is for example avast! there only for money when it's free? It LITERALLY costs you NOTHING. Same for AVG, AVIRA, Panda Free, Bitdefender Free. Pairing any of these with extra RansomFree which is, you haven't guessed it yet, also free and literally costs you nothing. Efficiency, VERY HIGH.

Think whatever you want, but your fully updated system is like car with really good brakes. Mine with good AV also has lane assist, 8 airbags, emergency auto braking and all sorts of sensors to detect threatening situations. Yup, car analogy still works.

Software Win10
System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
I use Norton Antivirus Basic, and I got a popup a few days ago saying that I didn't have to worry about WannaCry because Norton was on top of it and had been extensively testing and patching the software to make sure it couldn't get through. I'm not particularly worried.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Ransomware aren't dumb worms and trojans where you just start with clean Windows. When it screws your data it screws it for good. Not all have fatal design flaws where you can decrypt it easily or shut it down. Some are irrecoverable. There is no "wipe, start clean".

There always is if you have offline backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.