• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Patent Trolls to Lose their "Homefield" Advantage Thanks to Supreme Court

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Thanks to a ruling from the Supreme Court, patent trolls could see their designs being thwarted more often than they have until today. Patent trolls stand as a scourge of the industry, ie, companies and even individuals that hold intellectual property with the sole purpose of levying infringement lawsuits against other companies - without producing anything themselves. They're kind of the leeches of the tech and business worlds, without some of the benefits their biological counterparts manage to deliver.

The latest ruling comes as a result of a legal battle between beverage flavoring company TC Heartland LLC and food and beverage company Kraft Heinz Co. Heartland attempted to get the matter transferred to its home state of Indiana, arguing that it has no presence in Delaware and that 98 percent of its sales come from outside of the state. Justices with the US Supreme Court voted 8-0 on Monday that patent infringement lawsuits can only be filed in courts where the defendant is incorporated, overturning a previous ruling by the US Courts of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which ruled, last year, that patent lawsuits can be held anywhere a defendant's products are sold.

That's quite an interesting sphere of locales, to be sure. Considering that, it's at least strange (not to say suspicious) how 40 percent of all patent suits in the US are filed in East Texas. This happens because East Texas has a history of rulings in favor of the so-called patent-trolls, and history really does tend to inform present and future action. This ruling should put some cold water on some patent troll's endeavors, simply from the added unpredictability of suing in a state that doesn't have a history of ruling in favor of them.

I've taken the liberty of leaving an interesting infographic below for your perusal, as well as the result of a study on patent trolls circa 2013, from the archives of the previous administration.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock

System Name Bandit 2: Ryzen Boogaloo
Processor AMD R5 3600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Stock
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB @ 3200
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 5700XT
Storage Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500GB; Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 10 Professional
Never thought I'd see the day when the East Texas region is brought up in a tech article, especially about patent trolling. That said, East Texas certainly works upon the good ole boy system throughout the region so it makes sense. Hopefully this SCOTUS ruling makes a dent where it matters most - the pockets of the patent trolls.

System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
It is said that one can't drive through East Texas without seeing fields full of patent trolls, free range grazing. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 67555

I see the good and the bad... Definitely gives big money a major advantage s they have the resources to take products across regions...but progress!!!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
So basically this ruling is giving hope to those that want to steal a product or idea, and have the money to back themselves.
Patent owners will lose, this is not a good thing.
And!
I must protest the use of the term, Patent Troll.
The use of that term infers negative connotations on the patent owners, who have legal right to all property under their patent(s).

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Never thought I'd see the day when the East Texas region is brought up in a tech article, especially about patent trolling. That said, East Texas certainly works upon the good ole boy system throughout the region so it makes sense. Hopefully this SCOTUS ruling makes a dent where it matters most - the pockets of the patent trolls.

Wait what? E.Texas is patent troll mecca. How have you not seen mention of this before?

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Wait what? E.Texas is patent troll mecca. How have you not seen mention of this before?

The districts are well aware of it. There are whole industries and infrastructure projects built around it.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
What isnt mentioned in this article is that SCOTUS basically re-affirmed a law from 1957 (
Fourco Glass Co. v. Transmirra Products Corp., 353 U.S. 222 (1957)) stating that any kind of lawsuits are to be filed in the state where the company is based or incorporated.
The Beacon said:
...the Court held that venue in patent suits exists where the defendant company is incorporated.
Only and act of congress can change the law.

Here is the ruling: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-341_8n59.pdf

In the article I read it mention who changed let patent trolls file a lawsuit anywhere. A direct result of our corrupt government and what lobbyists do to damage the system.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67555

What isnt mentioned in this article is that SCOTUS basically re-affirmed a law from 1957 stating that any kind of lawsuits are to be filed in the state where the company is based or incorporated.

Only and act of congress can change the law.

Here is the ruling: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-341_8n59.pdf

In the article I read it mention who changed let patent trolls file a lawsuit anywhere. A direct result of our corrupt government and what lobbyists do to damage the system.
I agree but I also think this will lead to even more corruption.. Whoever has the most capital on hand wins everytime.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
I agree but I also think this will lead to even more corruption.. Whoever has the most capital on hand wins everytime.
Spoken like you have first hand experience! :cool:

I agree with ya there.

D

Deleted member 67555

I can see where it stops the trolls but then it just completely hands off federal patent authority to individual States...
What could possibly go wrong???

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Given what this president is like, I wouldn't be surprised if he gives the power back to the trolls. Think how he's gutted net neutrality for example, a blatant case of corruption.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I'm not very familiar with the subject, but if you force litigation into defendant's home field, doesn't that mean a greater chance for a decision in favour of the defendant? Because the court knows that ruling against it hurts a local business.

I don't really know how the American justice system works, and having so many lawsuits in a specific area is certainly not right, but is this ruling actually improving the status quo?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Given what this president is like, I wouldn't be surprised if he gives the power back to the trolls. Think how he's gutted net neutrality for example, a blatant case of corruption.
That wasn't Trump's choice. FCC votes for its own chairman. Pei came into power because he's the highest ranking Republican on the board. When Republicans took control of Senate, Pei became chairman of the board. Everyone and their dog knew Pei would end the pro-public rules FCC established under Wheeler. Pei always was and remains a shill for providers, especially ones with deep pockets (AT&T, Verizon, Comcast).

D

Deleted member 67555

It basically says if you don't have an actual product in the market you cannot claim ownership of IP...
But it also splits patent law by giving individual States jurisdiction..
So if I own a patent and bring a product to market in my state and only my state I won't have a claim if someone else is able to bring it to market in the other states as it is now first come first serve... AKA big money wins... Since whoever has the financial means to bring a product to the market first is the owner.

Edit:
It does stop the trolls from sitting on patents and waiting for someone to bring it to the market and then suing them for IP infringement but it leaves a giant loophole that will give big money the upper hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Plantiff is in Indiana (limited liability corporation). Defendant is in Delware (C corporation). Plantiff wanted to drag Defendant to Indiana for the patent suit because the Plantiff had no presence in the Defendant's state (Delware).
Clarence Thomas said:
We therefore hold that a domestic corporation “resides” only in its State of incorporation for purposes of the patent venue statute.
Clarence Thomas said:
We reverse the Federal Circuit. In Fourco, this Court definitively and unambiguously held that the word “reside[nce]” in §1400(b) has a particular meaning as applied to domestic2 corporations: It refers only to the State of incorporation. Congress has not amended §1400(b) since Fourco, and neither party asks us to reconsider our holding in that case. Accordingly, the only question we must answer is whether Congress changed the meaning of §1400(b) when it amended §1391. When Congress intends to effect a change of that kind, it ordinarily provides a relatively clear indication of its intent in the text of the amended provision. See United States v. Madigan, 300 U. S. 500, 506 (1937) (“[T]he modification by implication of the settled construction of an earlier and different section is not favored”); A. Scalia & B. Garner, Reading Law 331 (2012) (“A clear, authoritative judicial holding on the meaning of a particular provision should not be cast in doubt and subjected to challenge whenever a related though not utterly inconsistent provision is adopted in the same statute or even in an affiliated statute”).
Good to see that Scalia's common sense lives on in Thomas.
Clarence Thomas said:
This Court was not persuaded then, and the addition of the word “all” to the already comprehensive provision does not suggest that Congress intended for us to reconsider that conclusion.
Finally:
Clarence Thomas said:
As applied to domestic corporations, “reside[nce]” in §1400(b) refers only to the State of incorporation. Accordingly, we reverse the judgment of the Court of Appeals and remand the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.
Corporations have to be sued in the state they are incorporated. If Heartland wants to sue Kraft Heinz, it will have to send its lawyers to Delware to make their case.

I don't really know how the American justice system works, and having so many lawsuits in a specific area is certainly not right, but is this ruling actually improving the status quo?
I believe so. Those trying to file patent suit against a corporation in a different state will have to incur the cost of filing the suit in another state. Additionally, "home field advantage" means the court is more likely to simply dismiss the case so unless there's really strong evidence that a patent infringement occurred and it is damaging to the Plantiff, the patent could outright be declared public domain (patent void). Voiding patents is good for the public.

So if I own a patent and bring a product to market in my state and only my state I won't have a claim if someone else is able to bring it to market in the other states as it is now first come first serve... AKA big money wins... Since whoever has the financial means to bring a product to the market first is the owner.
Yes and no. Big money does win but the reason why anyone files for a patent and sues for violations thereof is to get big money. If Heartland takes their case to Delware, proves that Kraft Heinz violated their patent and, more importantly, proved they were damaged by it (e.g. profits plummet when Kraft Heinz starts selling a product that violates the patent), Kraft Heinz could be ordered to pay a massive amount of money to Heartland that more than pays for the cost of lawsuit. Placing additional cost pressure on the plantiff means they're not going to file frivolous lawsuits. They're only going to file if the facts are on their side.

Remember, if Delaware rules against Heartland, they can always appeal which can leave the jurisdiction of both Plantiff (Indiana) and Defendant (Delaware). More cost, yeah, but more likely to get a fair trial.

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
It basically says if you don't have an actual product in the market you cannot claim ownership of IP...
But it also splits patent law by giving individual States jurisdiction..

Edit:
It does stop the trolls from sitting on patents and waiting for someone to bring it to the market and then suing them for IP infringement but it leaves a giant loophole that will give big money the upper hand.

Even though, it's way more fair this way, at least I think it is. No one really loses, when you do expand into an intersecting market you'll have a claim, if you don't expand into their market, vice versa, or have no intention of expanding live and let live.

D

Deleted member 67555

I do see the benefit..
As an end consumer this is a win-win..
It's far less expensive for a smaller business to bring a case to state courts...
But...
I definitely see a giant loophole.
I see this becoming a race to the bottom for the usual States...
Texas, Alabama, Connecticut etc... Will adjust their laws to suit big money.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Patent trolls will have to ask the court for a change of venue to their home state to get that home court advantage. Not very likely to happen a lot now.

I wonder how this will affect lawsuits currently in progress. It shouldnt affect legitimate suits.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
I do see the benefit..
As an end consumer this is a win-win..
It's far less expensive for a smaller business to bring a case to state courts...
But...
I definitely see a giant loophole.
I see this becoming a race to the bottom for the usual States...
Texas, Alabama, Connecticut etc... Will adjust their laws to suit big money.

It already suits big money. Look into how much some of the big companies put into infrastructure in East Texas at the moment. Samsung sponsor an outdoor Ice-rink there at the moment. Think about that. An outdoor ice rink in an east Texas town where most of their litigation happens. There are countless other examples of similar 'freebies' from other companies who have a tendency to litigate there.

D

Deleted member 67555

It already suits big money. Look into how much some of the big companies put into infrastructure in East Texas at the moment. Samsung sponsor an outdoor Ice-rink there at the moment. Think about that. An outdoor ice rink in an east Texas town where most of their litigation happens. There are countless other examples of similar 'freebies' from other companies who have a tendency to litigate there.
That's what I'm saying...
But now it won't really get past the state that's already too friendly with money...

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
goodbye rambus?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
It's palm greasing. They litigate there where the judges rule in favor of big money and big money compensates the judges by investing in the area. Legal, but shouldn't be.

If they want to keep doing that, they're going to have to move their headquarters which means no more tax havens. It is very doubtful they'll move.