• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

is it possible to share the main computer?

System Name Leviathan
Processor i5 4690
Motherboard H81M-P33
Cooling COOLER MASTER HYPER TX3 EVO
Memory 12GB
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Core Edition
Storage WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200Rpm 64mb
Display(s) LG 21"
Case Zalman Z3plus
Power Supply Corsair VS650
Mouse Razer Chroma
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software Win10 64bit
Hello lads me and my brother living in the same house and each of us has computers yet his comp has way better specs and i want to know if it is possible for me to create a new user in his comp and use it via my junk laptop? like a remote control but i do not want to unterrupt his experience. long story can i create a new user in his comp and control it myself via my laptop while he can still do his thing?

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
If it is for gaming you can use Steam Stream pretty easily though you might find it gives your laptop CPU quite a hammering. His PC will be locked, he will see the same image as you.

For everything else, Teamviewer?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Hello lads me and my brother living in the same house and each of us has computers yet his comp has way better specs and i want to know if it is possible for me to create a new user in his comp and use it via my junk laptop? like a remote control but i do not want to unterrupt his experience. long story can i create a new user in his comp and control it myself via my laptop while he can still do his thing?
You can. Look up "remote desktop". You may need the Pro version of Windows for that, though.

System Name Leviathan
Processor i5 4690
Motherboard H81M-P33
Memory 12GB
Display(s) LG 21"
Case Zalman Z3plus
Mouse Razer Chroma
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software Win10 64bit
If it is for gaming you can use Steam Stream pretty easily though you might find it gives your laptop CPU quite a hammering. His PC will be locked, he will see the same image as you.

For everything else, Teamviewer?

it can be for gaming also, i wish to play black desert online on a pc that actually has a GPU, plus as i said i dont want to unterrupt his experience, i once heard a server that provides remote desktop comps that has decent specs, it was monthly fee but im willing to pay a reasonable price

You can. Look up "remote desktop". You may need the Pro version of Windows for that, though.

is there a tutorial or vid for `remote desktop` in terms of what i want?

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
is there a tutorial or vid for `remote desktop` in terms of what i want?
Google chrome has a very adequate secured remote desktop but all of those interupt his computer , could you run a vm in the background and remote into that though , I would use that myself, i remote in already but a vm could be used on more pcs ie work.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
You'll need to use some sort of Remote Desktop licensing if you want to remote on while he's using a current session. Standard RDP is limited to one physical or remote user per PC. Most remote sessions will either interact with the same session (LogMeIn, Teamviewer, Google Remote, RDP, VNC, etc) or you'll need something else that can allow multiple sessions between physical console access and remote console access. If you remote on using RDP while he's using his PC, he'll be booted to the login screen and his account locked (which will leave all his stuff open). If he logs in, your remote session will be closed.

The rest of those pieces of software will be you remoting on and interacting with him and his session. Again not what you want.

Windows Server can do remote sessions, but requires licensing to do so, and is far from what you want to do I imagine.

NComputing got round this with some software...which I have a copy of the disc somewhere because we still deploy a lot of their thin clients when offices want to cheap out on workstations. Not sure if they offer their software for purchase without a thin client...but it does work without the thin client. And really is the quickest way I can think of to have two sessions working independently on the same PC.

Edit:

You can make a free account at NComputing, https://www.ncomputing.com/en/support/software

Edit Part Deux:

I didn't think to ask before...but if you're planning on gaming through this connection, odds are you'll be sorely disappointed. For general browsing and work use, it should be just fine though. You might even get away with decent multimedia streaming if your network can handle the load, but RDP isn't really meant for heavy media streaming...but I have streamed over RDP before and it does work. So depending on your usage plans, this might not be the route you want to take...

Last edited:
System Name Leviathan
Processor i5 4690
Motherboard H81M-P33
Memory 12GB
Display(s) LG 21"
Case Zalman Z3plus
Mouse Razer Chroma
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software Win10 64bit
You'll need to use some sort of Remote Desktop licensing if you want to remote on while he's using a current session. Standard RDP is limited to one physical or remote user per PC. Most remote sessions will either interact with the same session (LogMeIn, Teamviewer, Google Remote, RDP, VNC, etc) or you'll need something else that can allow multiple sessions between physical console access and remote console access. If you remote on using RDP while he's using his PC, he'll be booted to the login screen and his account locked (which will leave all his stuff open). If he logs in, your remote session will be closed.

The rest of those pieces of software will be you remoting on and interacting with him and his session. Again not what you want.

Windows Server can do remote sessions, but requires licensing to do so, and is far from what you want to do I imagine.

NComputing got round this with some software...which I have a copy of the disc somewhere because we still deploy a lot of their thin clients when offices want to cheap out on workstations. Not sure if they offer their software for purchase without a thin client...but it does work without the thin client. And really is the quickest way I can think of to have two sessions working independently on the same PC.

Edit:

You can make a free account at NComputing, https://www.ncomputing.com/en/support/software

Edit Part Deux:

I didn't think to ask before...but if you're planning on gaming through this connection, odds are you'll be sorely disappointed. For general browsing and work use, it should be just fine though. You might even get away with decent multimedia streaming if your network can handle the load, but RDP isn't really meant for heavy media streaming...but I have streamed over RDP before and it does work. So depending on your usage plans, this might not be the route you want to take...
Hello mate im not quite sure if i understood what you meant, im using windows every legally way if that is what you meant by licensing. so it happens i just watched some vids about remote desktop yet im still not %100 sure if i can use it the way i need to. and if i cannot do gaming that will be almost complately useless for me, well lets see gonna try now.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Might as well stop now... RDP isn't designed for gaming, its designed for management and work.

There are different versions of licensing as-far-as remote sessions go. When you buy a Windows OS, it is allowed for single-session use. A session is a logged in user. That means you can have one active logged on user at a time.

There are other licenses that tie in with a Windows server deployed environment that can allow for multiple sessions at once on a single system, splitting resources between them.

NComputing does something similar as well, but I am at work and don't have time to confirm if they offer that software in the link I gave you though I imagine they do...their software allows a Windows 7, 8, or 10 PC to have multiple live sessions.

Regardless remote sessions and gaming are not meant to be...especially mixing with multiple active sessions simultaneously. There's technology out there for some of those types of deployment, but not cheap. Save your money, buy a gaming laptop/PC or hopefully share with your Bro.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Yes it is possible but the cost to do true virtualization with gaming level graphics is far more than a new computer would be and I doubt your brothers system will be able to handle it.

IF you don't mind sitting next to your bro, or close you could do this...still requires a pretty serious system and a huge hassle to setup.

Last edited:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Game on the Computer listed in your Specs that quite a reasonable system

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
No it's not possible to both use the same computer, for gaming.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10