• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lapel vs desktop microphone

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I'm trying to get back into doing some recordings as well as voice comms for games. I've been using in ear bud headphones for a while, and would prefer not to go back to a standard headset arrangement.

I am curious if a half decent desktop condenser microphone, or a lapel microphone would be better?
Ideally either has some type of quick mute button.

Any thoughts on which style would be better?

Thanks

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Any thoughts on which style would be better?
A headset.

The problem with desktop or lapel microphones is the SPLs (sound pressure levels) of your voice as picked up by the microphone change as you tilt your head side to side and up or down. What if you need to turn in your seat to grab a piece of paper behind you? Or turn your head to see what the dog is doing? Your voice may sound muffled with a lapel mic, and with a desktop mic, you may become totally inaudible.

With a headset and the mic positioned in a fixed point near your mouth, you can stand up, sit down and spin around and the SPL stays the same. If wireless, you'll have even more freedom.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Desktop mic IMHO. I have to disagree on a headset mic only from personal experience. Nothing against what you offer Bill, because you make valid points.

I use a Samson GoMic, well used to, my oldest son took it over for his YouTube channel videos, and compared to the 2 other gaming headset mic's he used before the difference was amazing. $35 well spent IMHO. It is made for podcasting, YouTube voice recording, VoIP, etc. Works better than any headset mic I've ever setup...including adopting a flex boom bic to a pair of headphones. What you might lose in SPL you'll gain in transient noises from cables rubbing during normal use and movement that while can be filtered out, can have negative effects. That being said there are some decent headset mic's out there...not for $35-45.

Using noise filtering, a room that you can isolate yourself from background noises no matter the mic setup, and taking time to practice and test feedback, sensitivity, mic setup/staging, etc. will have a HUGE factor in the return on quality.

Get a mic better designed and better quality, something you won't find on a headset unless you look at something higher end from Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, etc. There are other desktop mics that are twice the price of the Samson, and they might be worth looking at depending on your budget...the Blue Snowball is one of them. These are the mic's that a lot of podcasters, Internet radio hosts, VoIP streamers, YouTube hosts use (ironically some use these while their video shows them with a headset mic positioned as if it were being used... ;) ).

Also both the Samson and Blue Snowball are decent quality condenser mics, something you won't find on a gaming heaset.

I'd steer clear of a lapel mic for the same reason I wouldn't rely on a headset mic, usually not the same quality as a desktop mic. You'll pic up movement noises, have less clarity, and possibly more issues. I've only tried a couple and both really sucked...they were passable for gaming with some friends...but not for anything else.

:toast:

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
A headset.

The problem with desktop or lapel microphones is the SPLs (sound pressure levels) of your voice as picked up by the microphone change as you tilt your head side to side and up or down. What if you need to turn in your seat to grab a piece of paper behind you? Or turn your head to see what the dog is doing? Your voice may sound muffled with a lapel mic, and with a desktop mic, you may become totally inaudible.

With a headset and the mic positioned in a fixed point near your mouth, you can stand up, sit down and spin around and the SPL stays the same. If wireless, you'll have even more freedom.

Isn't the way to mitigate audible level issues on a desktop microphone, by using phantom power?

In terms of wireless microphone with headset, I haven't found any.

@Kursah

I was aiming at this or something very similar

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Micropho...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VD93XS9A0TPFFJXX7N4R

How far away did you use Samsung GO Mic? If I clip to top of my monitor (IF it's thin enough bezel), I'd still be about three feet away. It seems as most whom use these microphone's are really close and I don't want to be that near it.

Last edited:

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I've used it around 24-36" away with good results.

I have always turned the base so it sits below my monitor or TV as a monitor. I did clip it to my laptop screen once and it worked flawlessly. it does have an adjustment switch to choose how wide the recording angle is as well. Plug and play, no extra drivers necessary.

The on you're looking at would be a closer proximity, but with the screen to prevent pops (from being so close), might produce good results if it has a lower sensitivity to reduce background noise. That will be your biggest challenge. Though again if you use your environment correctly that can be a non-issue as well. :)

With my son, we have him close his door, he keeps his windows closed...no issues. Now if his door is wide open and we yell that it is dinner time or he needs to go take a shower...well that does end up on his video stream and he has to edit it out (LOL). Between mixing filters, technology and common sense, you shouldn't have many issues.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Desktop mic IMHO. I have to disagree on a headset mic only from personal experience. Nothing against what you offer Bill, because you make valid points.
Good points on your side too.

If you are a disciplined and experienced mic user and can keep your head front and center when speaking with a desk or boom mic, then I agree that definitely is a good way to go.

But having done some sound engineering before with radio broadcasts, I have noticed even with experienced speakers, they move their heads around. This is particularly noticeable when there are others in the room (guests for example) or when there are multiple monitors in front of the speaker. Just moving side to side looking at monitors can affect sound levels and that can be annoying for listeners.

I have also noticed that some speakers are dead set on the type and placement of their mics. And no matter how sound (no pun intended) your logic for a different mic or mic placement, they are using their mic and putting it where they want.

I like a headset for the reasons I stated. Also, my desktop real estate is rather precious. A desktop mic has to sit somewhere, but not get in the way of my keyboard, or line of sight to my monitors. A boom mic can help with that, as long as I don't look down to see what my fingers (which often have minds of their own) are doing at my keyboard. Fortunately, I'm a pretty good touch typists so don't have to look down often.

Changes in sound level is affected a great deal by the sensitivity and noise suppression characteristics of the mics. In a professional studio, for example, you don't worry about the mic picking up background sounds because there aren't any. You basically are in a sound-proofed room. So a sensitive mic may work best. But in a make shift studio in a bedroom or basement for example, there could be kids running around, etc. so you don't want to pick up background noises.

All I can really say at this point is stay away from lapel mics. Not that there aren't great ones, there are - but you pay for them too.

Isn't the way to mitigate audible level issues on a desktop microphone, by using phantom power?
No. Phamtom power is just a means of providing power to a microphone. Perhaps you are confusing that with dynamic volume control - often used where the mic is handed from speaker to speaker so the listener is not straining to hear speaker one, then covering their ears with speaker two.
In terms of wireless microphone with headset, I haven't found any.
Not sure why not. There are not as common as wired, but there are still plenty to choose from.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
@Bill_Bright

My comment about phantom power/power source was in regards to condenser type microphones not being loud enough unless powered. It's like an amplifier for headphones that need a lot of power to drive them.

Really I want a semi quality hands free microphone solution that will work within three feet of where I am sitting and yet not sound too roomy, e.g. pick up background all the time.

If the Samsung GO can do that great. If it's better to buy something like the Neweer, I can do that too.

Last edited:
Processor i7 4790k / ryzen 1700
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme / gigabyte b350 mini itx
Cooling Corsair H70 / cooler master master liquid
Memory 32gb DDR3 / 32gb ddr4
Video Card(s) Gtx 1080 / gtx 1080
Storage 128gb Samsung 850 Pro, 2tb hdd / 500gb 850 evo
Case Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 / Silverstone m13b
Power Supply 1000W OCZ Gold Full Modular / seasonic focus 850w
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
I have used a variety of different mics (high end sennheiser wireless, wired and lapel mics) on a high end sound system. I can tell you unless you're doing really professional recordings, it's not worth the cost. I am running a blue yeti usb desktop mic with my sennheiser hd 598s (I think that's what they're called) and it's working great. The yeti is great for audio recording and it had different modes for the direction it needs to record (directional, bidirectional, complete surround and one other). The yeti I got like new on Craigslist for 90 bucks and haven't looked back to my turtlebeach headset. It's infinitely better imo.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
I bought that Neweer kit that included the phantom power and some other pieces, then an additional 15cm pop filter and a desk clamp spring arm. It was cheaper than a mini yeti or whatever that ball version is, and I suspect will turn out to a little better.

Thanks all

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
My comment about phantom power/power source was in regards to condenser type microphones not being loud enough unless powered. It's like an amplifier for headphones that need a lot of power to drive them.
Right. But that has nothing to with turning your head away from the mic and dropping sound pressure levels, which is what I said was the problem with lapel or desktop mics. Your comment was in response to me commenting about that problem, not about the the use of condenser mics.

nuwb

I'm going to vote for headset mic. But if I had to choose between desktop and lapel for a kind of dynamic hands-free style and I were concerned about room noise, I'd pick lapel. But you have to be careful about not rubbing against them. Desktop mics can obviously work well but you'll want to work it close if you are concerned about room noise which means a boom. And if you are working close, then moving your head or body around can change the signal level a ton, probably more than even a lapel. Those changes can be compressed away but that's extra work.

Headset avoids all those problems and just requires a bit of initial thought for placement to avoid plosives.