• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooling an x1950xt

oldswab

Processor Phenom II 1090T
Motherboard Asus 890FX
Cooling Thermalright SI-128
Memory 4x4 gb g.skill 1333
Video Card(s) hd4870 512mb
Storage 2x60gb OCZ Vertex II
Display(s) Asus 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) onboard lol
Power Supply Antec Trio 650W
Software Win7 x64 with Ubuntu coming soon
'lo folks; I have a question.

I replaced the stock cooler on my sapphire x1950xt 256mb with a zalman vf900-cu. Added an appropriate amount of AC5. Gave it a while. I'm still noticing temps above 90C while playing LOTRO. I don't play Oblivion anymore because I've wacthed it hit above 100C before hastily exiting. From what I understand, running in the high-80s/low-90s isn't going to kill it before it gets obsolete, but I'd like to have it still running long enough to ebay it when I'm done (and yes, I practice full disclosure on modded parts I sell).

I bought this one:
http://www.svc.com/rv-uch-p7u1-gp.html

because of the good reviews, and because it exhausts hot air out the back, but I'm having severe compatibility issues that don't look like user error. The &^%$ heat sink does not make contact with the core! Besides that, I had to remove two ramsinks in order to even get the thing close to seating. I think that's a little strange, because there is review of someone using one of these coolers on a 512mb model.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two coolers? Is the zalman enough to cool an x1950xt? Should I look into getting an artic cooling accelero 2? Ideas on making the cooler master work? Honestly, I'm getting a little fed up with buying coolers. If I do get the AC, then I'm looking at having blown $100 to cool a $200 card, and I'm a little bit sensitive about the fact that for that price, I could'a had a v8...or an 8800gts. :wtf:

...so don't rag me about it, kthx.

Edit: should I bite the bullet and just pull the trigger at $15?
http://www.svc.com/accelx2.html

Edit again: forgot to mention that I've got the fan plugged directly into the mobo, running @ fullspeed according to Speedfan. Would it make a difference if I ran it through the fanmate? I was thinking the mobo would provide 12V regardless of whether its going through fanmate or not.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
i have a 1950xt also with a vf-900 on it i max out at about 80 running the 3d window in ati tool
ive never seen it hit higher than 74 under any game

your problem my lie in poor air circulation in your case try moving some fans around so you get some fresh air blowing near the bottom of the card and somewhere for the hot air to be sucked out near the top of the card
as you can se in my pic this is the airflow that ive gotten set up to work for me blue lines are fresh air coming in red lines are the path of hot air from the card going out.
there is also a vent in the side of my case right around the bottom of the card so that helps too

oldswab

Motherboard Asus 890FX
Display(s) Asus 24"
Case P180
Ok. I think i'm good on the general intake/exhsuat (4x120mm). I've got a pci sound card in the last available slot that might interfere with circulation, though. maybe i'll try a 60mmfan spinning very slowly on the back plate under the card to act as an exhaust. I could see where the hot air might be getting trapped.

edit: 'k. I went on a rewiring frenzy. took out the bottom useless compartment HDD/PSU compartment fan and stuck any and all stray wires behind the psu. now it does build up slower, but still hit 90C before I stopped it.

only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is going full tilt (LOUD) on the remaining intake 120mm. going to turn up the intake air a notch and see if that helps. it is overclocked a smidge (648/990). I'll probably leave it at stock until I can figure out a better cooling solution or fix what's going wrong with (me or) my zalyman.

Last edited:

oldswab

Motherboard Asus 890FX
Display(s) Asus 24"
Case P180
took your advice and re-wired. now under lotro max is mid 80C's. still not great, but better.

thinking about going with a thermalright (best in the bix) for $50, recycling a 90mm AC cooling fan previously used for cpu and being done with it. got a voltage reg heatsink already attached.

thoughts?

i have a 1950xt also with a vf-900 on it i max out at about 80 running the 3d window in ati tool
ive never seen it hit higher than 74 under any game

your problem my lie in poor air circulation in your case try moving some fans around so you get some fresh air blowing near the bottom of the card and somewhere for the hot air to be sucked out near the top of the card
as you can se in my pic this is the airflow that ive gotten set up to work for me blue lines are fresh air coming in red lines are the path of hot air from the card going out.
there is also a vent in the side of my case right around the bottom of the card so that helps too

Ever heard of convection?

oldswab

Motherboard Asus 890FX
Display(s) Asus 24"
Case P180
tkpenalty said:
Ever heard of convection?

yes, thanks. vry helpful. science teacher covered subject in sixth grade. now i live convection to fullest.

back on topic...help?

Last edited:

ficklematter

I have the same problem, i installed a vf-900 and during some games it reaches high 90's.

One way of testing is by keeping your case open (to let hot air out) if you dont have good ventilation. And run one of the ati tech demos. If your temp drops, then you should look into cooling your case more.

oldswab

Motherboard Asus 890FX
Display(s) Asus 24"
Case P180
I'll try that tonight.

oldswab

Motherboard Asus 890FX
Display(s) Asus 24"
Case P180
I installed a 120mm antec tri-cool fan on medium (~7.5V) infront of slots and now I'm down to incredibly reasonable heat levels. 77C after ~30" of lotro.

Problem solved...needed more exahause around PCI&E cards.

Also upgraded to X-FI while case was open. WOW! What great sound. The grass blades crunch under my feet!

Will post a jpg later.