• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox One X Hardware Specs Give Gaming Desktops a Run for their Money

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Microsoft Sunday dropped its mic with the most powerful game console on paper, the Xbox One X, formerly codenamed "Project Scorpio." The bottom-line of this console is that it enables 4K Ultra HD gaming at 60 Hz. Something like this requires you to spend at least $1,200 on a gaming desktop right now. Unlike a Windows 10 PC that's been put together by various pieces of hardware, the Xbox One X is built on a closed ecosystem that's tightly controlled by Microsoft, with heavily optimized software, and a lot of secret sauce the company won't talk about. The console still puts up some mighty impressive hardware specs on paper.

To begin with, at the heart of the Xbox One X is a semi-custom SoC Microsoft co-developed with AMD, built on TSMC's 16 nm FinFET node (the same one NVIDIA builds its "Pascal" GPUs on). This chip features a GPU with almost quadruple the single-precision floating point compute power as the one which drives the Xbox One. It features 40 Graphics CoreNext (GCN) compute units (2,560 stream processors) based on one of the later versions of GCN (likely "Polaris"). The GPU is clocked at 1172 MHz. The other big component of the SoC is an eight-core CPU based on an unnamed micro-architecture evolved from "Jaguar" rather than "Bulldozer" or even "Zen." The eight cores are arranged in two quad-core units of four cores, each; with 4 MB of L2 cache. The CPU is clocked at 2.30 GHz.

The third major component of the Xbox One X SoC is the 384-bit wide GDDR5 memory controller, wired to 12 GB of memory. This memory is used both as system- and graphics-memory, and is the most ideal implementation of AMD's hUMA (heterogeneous unified memory architecture), where there's no visible partition between the system and graphics memory on the physical memory, and depending on the usage scenario, any amount of memory can be used by the CPU and GPU components. Developers are still forced to build their games under the assumption that the system only has 8 GB of memory; so that the remaining 4 GB is used as a kind of "guarantee" that 4K UHD @60 Hz runs smoothly. The total memory bandwidth available is a staggering 326 GB/s.

The SoC features an integrated audio CODEC with 7.1-channel output over HDMI, with support for Dolby Atmos, and HRTF, a new audio format Microsoft developed for the Hololens, which is optimized for VR.

A 1 TB 2.5-inch SATA hard drive comes standard on the Xbox One X. You can swap this drive out for larger HDDs, or faster SATA SSDs. You can also plug in external storage devices over the console's USB 3.0 ports. The console's operating system resides on a smaller eMMC chip that isn't accessible to end-users. The 1 TB HDD is used to store games you've downloaded from your online library à la Steam.

Microsoft switched from bulky external power bricks to internal PSUs with the Xbox One S, and the trend carries forward with the Xbox One X. Powering the whole thing is a 275W internal power-supply. A large fan-heatsink cools the SoC and GDDR5 memory chips.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Sure consoles are cheaper for what they can output in a narrow timeframe. But can Xbox One X run games from console just 1 generation back? It can't. Meaning if you want to still play those games, you need to keep it. Where with PC, yes, you pay more at first, but you gain parts of the costs by re-selling components and using 1 system to play games from today all the way back to the 80's. Consoles are cheaper just very short term. In the long run, they are actually even more expensive because games for them are far more expensive than on PC. Because they need to siphon in all the costs they lost at selling console itself that cheap.

Sure consoles are cheaper for what they can output in a narrow timeframe. But can Xbox One X run games from console just 1 generation back? It can't. Meaning if you want to still play those games, you need to keep it. Where with PC, yes, you pay more at first, but you gain parts of the costs by re-selling components and using 1 system to play games from today all the way back to the 80's. Consoles are cheaper just very short term. In the long run, they are actually even more expensive because games for them are far more expensive than on PC. Because they need to siphon in all the costs they lost at selling console itself that cheap.

Isn't backwards compatibility available on this one, too?
If it's enabled, there are quite a few good ol' games it can run.

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64

Actually, the Xbox One X Can play games from the Xbox 360 (Backwards compatibility program which has now more than 300 titles on offer). And it will soon have backwards compatibility support for original Xbox games as well.

Granted, it's a software, emulated solution, but the truth is, you can play those games, and, like a pc, they usually have improvements to frame rate and guaranteed upscaling capabilities, which is always nice.

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sure consoles are cheaper for what they can output in a narrow timeframe. But can Xbox One X run games from console just 1 generation back? It can't..

I may misunderstood your rhetorical question but the Xbox One X (and Xbox One and Xbox One S) can play hundreds of Xbox 360 titles (the list is still growing) and at the E3 briefing, MS announce that they will also be able to play original Xbox games. That's incredibly great value right there and it's the major thing that really tempts me to consider the new console.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
The bottom-line of this console is that it enables 4K Ultra HD gaming at 60 Hz. Something like this requires you to spend at least $1,200 on a gaming desktop right now.
bullshit.
give gaming desktops run for their money - bullshit.

cpu still based on jaguar is in the league of intel atom and amd bobcat or whatever these were sold as. netbook-level performance. any desktop cpu is faster than that. gpu is midrange polaris, rx480-ish performance if not lower.

yeah, (lower) midrange will be given a run for their money, anything higher than that is still in a league of its own.

bullshit.

cpu still based on jaguar is in the league of intel atom and amd bobcat or whatever these were sold as. netbook-level performance. any desktop cpu is faster than that. gpu is midrange polaris, rx480-ish performance if not lower.

yeah, (lower) midrange will be given a run for their money, anything higher than that is still in a league of its own.

I don't think you know how great console optimization can be.

bullshit.

The cpu is nothing special but you are certainly selling it short by claiming netbook level.

Actually, the Xbox One X Can play games from the Xbox 360 (Backwards compatibility program which has now more than 300 titles on offer). And it will soon have backwards compatibility support for original Xbox games as well.

Granted, it's a software, emulated solution, but the truth is, you can play those games, and, like a pc, they usually have improvements to frame rate and guaranteed upscaling capabilities, which is always nice.

I bet it won't have the game I'd want to play. Never had such issues on PC. And if it really didn't work in any way out of the box, I just hacked it myself and it worked. And if you're more of a PlayStation fan, you're again stuck with stuff like special versions that can run old ones like the fat PS3 that had PS2 guts inside. But later dropped it with PS3 only gear. It's just too fiddly. Besides, I absolutely hate playing FPS games with gamepad. It's like trying to drive a car with joystick. It's just idiotic.

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Idiots for gimping themselves and having the game autoaim for them. Worthless slobs.

Well, not everyone plays game competitively or aggressively. Besides, you can get pretty good with a controller if you spent enough time with it.

^I have never managed to walk, drive or race other than looking drunken with a controller.

Wait, so all this time everyone in the PCMR were dissing the consoles for being underpowered, to say the least, but now they've got something extremely powerful & yet some are still b**** :rolleyes:

I bet MS is just about selling these for profit, that's one heck of an HTPC killer provided it doesn't die off randomly due to overheating, like some consoles in the past.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
And if he still wants to moan, keyboard and mouse compatibility is coming soon and there are a few ways to use pc peripherals right now.

But the games will all disallow it. They don't want crying 10 yr olds by the millions.

I know the PS4 supports KB/mouse, but you'll never be able to use it.

System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Stock
Memory Team Group Elite 16 GB 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Mouse Logitech G102
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU
hold on, 2560 Stream Processor?
maxed out Polaris GPU is 2304 SP
so what gives?

and "two quad-core units of four cores, each; with 4 MB of L2 cache" smell like ryzen uarch to me...
is this ryzen based APU will looks like?

D

Deleted member 172152

so what gives?

and "two quad-core units of four cores, each; with 4 MB of L2 cache" smell like ryzen uarch to me...
Custom gpu and cpu. Maybe a few ryzen features, but not ryzen and custom polaris.

so what gives?

A relatively small but real possibility, considering MS has as yet not disclosed what's actually inside the custom SoC.

System Name El Calpulator
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Pro RS
Cooling ArcticCooling Freezer 3 360ARGB AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengance 6000Mhz C30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 Gaming Trio X @ 2925 / 23500 mhz
Storage 5TB nvme SSD + Synology DS115j NAS with 4TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung G8 34" QD-OLED + Samsung 28" 4K 60hz UR550
Case Montech King 95 PRO Blue
Audio Device(s) SB X4+Logitech Z623 2.1+Astro A50 Wireless
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus LightSpeed Hero Wireless plus Logitech G POWERPLAY Wireless Charging Mouse Pad
Keyboard Logitech G915 LightSpeed Wireless
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Just enough
Looks like a nice equipped console, I bet this will sell big numbers.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Consoles giving PCs a run for their money sounds like an oxymoron lol. At least it raises the bar for game quality and if we're lucky, might just help to bring down hardware prices a bit, especially graphics cards. Not holding my breath though.

Also, I've got a PS4 Pro and can tell you that it doesn't shame myself compared to my gaming PC. Main limitations are the framerate of 60fps tops at 1080p and a lack of detail compared to the PC at times. Given this, I can see how this new Xbox will give PCs a run for their money and that's good for gamers of both platforms.

uSDev

"Give Gaming Desktops a Run for their Money" MEME/10 - Buzzfeed.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
Last edited:
System Name Pukeko
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL15
Video Card(s) Asus RX 5600 XT TUF Gaming X3 OC
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB, Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) 2x ASUS TUF Gaming VG249Q
Case NZXT, H510i, Matte Black/Red, Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) TUF Gaming H3
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 550W Gold
Mouse Touchpad + Logitech MX518
Keyboard Cooler Master, CK 350, Outemu Red
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 7,42,69 and 666
OK, seems nice and dandy, but what about the games? My Xbox is still just a Forza box..

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
^I have never managed to walk, drive or race other than looking drunken with a controller.
In ff14 bard with controller can out dps easilly a mouse and keyboard