• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core X HEDT Processors and X299 Motherboards Release Schedule Detailed

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel announced the release schedule of its Core X HEDT (high-end desktop) processors and compatible socket LGA2066 motherboards. The first wave of Core X processors, which includes two quad-core SKUs, and one each of 6-core, 8-core, and 10-core (detailed in the table below); will be available from 26 June, 2017. Pre-orders for these chips will open from 19 June, on popular online stores. The first wave includes the quad-core Core i5-7640X, and Core i7-7740X "Kaby Lake-X;" six-core i7-7800X, eight-core i7-7820X, and ten-core i9-7900X "Skylake-X."

Intel plans to release the Core i9-7920X 12-core processor some time in August 2017, followed by 14-core, 16-core, and 18-core parts by October 2017. A large selection of compatible socket LGA2066 motherboards based on Intel X299 chipset, will be available for pre-order on 19 June, followed by retail availability from 26 June. With socket LGA2066 having a similar cooler mount-hole layout to the current LGA2011v3 socket, most current coolers which can cope with thermal loads of Core i7 "Broadwell-E" processors should be able to handle the Core X "Skylake-X" and "Kaby Lake-X" parts being launched this month.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
Interesting.

That October date must be music to AMD's ears.. gives it time (and incentive, considering the price difference) to sell its Threadrippers, snatch some portion of the market up.
Good news for the market. Sincerely hope this continues, i for one am glad to have choices again :)

edit: i wonder if this will affect X299 mobos. Gigabyte for example complained about lack of time to design theirs as they wanted, hence the omission of Thunderbolt support. Asus, at least until a few days ago, was not even sure of what MOSFETs it'd be putting on, or even what power phase it'd be using (i'd remind here that they changed it and did so after their 'initial' presentation). It's just a few extra months, but it would make me wait until the last possible moment, not sure about others of course.
What i mean with waiting is that this time around, i'd be a lot more hesitant buying an Intel mobo, which is bad for sales.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 172152

Interesting.

That October date must be music to AMD's ears.. gives it time (and incentive, considering the price difference) to sell its Threadrippers, snatch some portion of the market up.
Good news for the market. Sincerely hope this continues, i for one am glad to have choices again :)

edit: i wonder if this will affect X299 mobos. Gigabyte for example complained about lack of time to design theirs as they wanted, hence the omission of Thunderbolt support. Asus, at least until a few days ago, was not even sure of what MOSFETs it'd be putting on, or even what power phase it'd be using (i'd remind here that they changed it and did so after their 'initial' presentation). It's just a few extra months, but it would make me wait until the last possible moment, not sure about others of course.
What i mean with waiting is that this time around, i'd be a lot more hesitant buying an Intel mobo, which is bad for sales.

Large youtubegroups won't buy intel since raid isn't supported out of the box either, bad for "budget" servers as well and if threadripper is much cheaper it will destroy i9's almost as much as the heat they generate!

Large youtubegroups won't buy intel since raid isn't supported out of the box either, bad for "budget" servers as well and if threadripper is much cheaper it will destroy i9's almost as much as the heat they generate!
Lets not forget the crippling memory controllers and PCI config on CPUs costing less than 1000$. I thought Optane release(consumer market) was the stupidest release from Intel but this HEDT tops it off as the most pointless product release to this date.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

Yeah, that alone is pretty gross. RAID is common on many servers for either speed or data redundancy. Intel may have gotten away with removing common features in target segments and selling them for a premium before but I have no idea why they think they are going to get away with it now, seeing as Zen is very competitive.

The funny part is, that is just the start. All AMD Threadripper and Epyc server CPUs will come with the full PCIe lanes (which is more than even Intel's best i9) and they come soldered. It's shameful that I have to mention soldering on HEDT but Intel decided that for some reason their highest paying customers don't deserve good temps or overclocks without voiding their warranty (or possibly more! I've seen i9 delidding and it is very dangerous since the components are so close to the edge).

There nearly a 100% chance that AMD will release their product at a lower price point too. I can't see why anyone would pick Intel over AMD in this arena.

D

Deleted member 172152

Yeah, that alone is pretty gross. RAID is common on many servers for either speed or data redundancy. Intel may have gotten away with removing common features in target segments and selling them for a premium before but I have no idea why they think they are going to get away with it now, seeing as Zen is very competitive.

The funny part is, that is just the start. All AMD Threadripper and Epyc server CPUs will come with the full PCIe lanes (which is more than even Intel's best i9) and they come soldered. It's shameful that I have to mention soldering on HEDT but Intel decided that for some reason their highest paying customers don't deserve good temps or overclocks without voiding their warranty (or possibly more! I've seen i9 delidding and it is very dangerous since the components are so close to the edge).

There nearly a 100% chance that AMD will release their product at a lower price point too. I can't see why anyone would pick Intel over AMD in this arena.
Only people really wanting to game on a 240hz monitor with the same system might want intel, but that's just silly.

Slightly annoying the best monitor for me is that 49" 32:9 so the lower threadripper clockspeeds will limit fps ever so slightly in 16:9 games with vega, but my system will last forever without need for upgrades and it will be great for project cars (2), DiRT 3, productivity, etc. Super smooth and nicer than 3 16:9 panels! Might get some flight simulator gear as well.

1080p will be fine for streams and youtube forever and in a few years time when 4k is accesible I can always upgrade if I'm going to do anything other than gaming on my channels. At least videos can render extremely quickly, I can record and/or stream multiple sources at once and I'll be future-proofed. Maybe I'll get a 1440p panel as well for youtube videos. I can always edit/stream on the c49chg90 and record 1440p footage. Maybe even 4k is a viable option with vega?!

All this new awesome AMD(-related) hardware is pretty awesome and I can't choose what to buy. I have the budget and am buying HEDT, so maybe I'll just get everything I want plus some SSD's for RAID just to stick it to Intel with their RAID keys!

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original
Not sure i follow, care to explain?
Those two entry level CPUs only have dual channel memory controller while rest are quad channel. So 112W tdp for quad core chips(with or without Hyperthreading) and you get only 16 lanes of PCI-E 3.0, dual channel memory controller, and no iGPU.

Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Mouse Hamster original
Those two entry level CPUs only have dual channel memory controller

aah, i see :)
My mind went in the opposite direction, namely the newly advertised RAM freqs (due to the new IMCs), which if anything, paint a very positive picture. I only wish Threadrippers would get near those ^^

And, well.. while i understand the sentiment, this isn't a complaint from me. As things are, quad band is considered an HEDT "perk", so one can expect some relevant SKU segmentation due to that.
To each their own of course, am not trying to convince you or anything.

I'm gonna play with the i9 7900X soon.
I'm angry about intel's way of approaching HEDT this time.

I'm mad, but in love with the ability to have such an immensly powerful chip running close to 5Ghz.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)

EDIT: By which I mean, Intel is bringing very little to the table, considering AMD is going to stick to schedule. They could just sell at a loss to try and steal sales, but instead they think their money buffer can withstand until a new arch release...with this kind of product. Talk about being a tank while AMD went the for flying fortress strategy o_O

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 172152

I'm gonna play with the i9 7900X soon.
I'm angry about intel's way of approaching HEDT this time.

I'm mad, but in love with the ability to have such an immensly powerful chip running close to 5Ghz.
If you want many cores for anything other than gaming and play 1440p or above at high-ultra, you're better off with more threadripper cores probably.

For me its about the overclocking experience as well. This ain't about having more cores, as IPC is more of my thing.
I wouldn't mind messing with a 5Ghz 8-core chip as well if only intel didn't make the stupid decision to skip on the PCIE lanes. I need this type of juicyness per core

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK

Large youtubegroups
?

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
I have a hunch that the Kaby Lake X i5 and i7 will be the top overclocking CPUs, otherwise why put them in this socket? X299 boards are generally more expensive, but their more robust power circuits should be able to handle extreme overclocks better, maybe as high as 5.5 GHz on air/water. I'm not saying it's likely, just that there must be some good reason to put these CPUs on X299, other than the common perception (that Intel has lost their collective freaking minds).

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Guys are you ready for new mobo king.... Look, beaty without RGB, little tank.
ASUS decide to blow away competition and show up with one of nicest motherboard line I could remember... X99 line was poor, at least for ROG fans and only first 2.2 years.

X299 Deluxe nicer than ever, I never liked their vision of Deluxe until X299
Rampage VI Apex attractive on special way with only 4 DIMMs 8+8 pin CPU promise fun with memory and CPU OC.
Rampage VI Extreme reserved for Skylake-X but there is big chance that Intel 18 core work on that motherboard, and no one will cry because i5 not work on RVIE.

If some of these board support i9-7980XE that's Rampage VI Extreme and X299 WS.

Aaaaa what you say. Nicer than RVE10... I hope they planned to customers disable RGB with BIOS or some software.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
I hope they planned to customers disable RGB with BIOS or some software.

I can't stand RGB anything. Every motherboard should have the ability to disable this. I have been so over windows and lighting ever since I built my first computer; it would light up my whole bedroom at night with blue. Windows + RGB > Sleep.

Last edited:
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Me too, I would keep only RED light or White. I like to see shine from PC, but one color, not 2-3-4 color in same time.
Rampage VI Extreme is my pick for X299. From other side I saw some Cinebench Multi Score result of Threadripper, I'm not sure is it fake or not, but if benchmarks are true, he is similar to Intel Xeon E5 2699 V4, he have 22 cores and cost 4000$ and launched only before 10 months.

That's insane result and such platform could be used for several generations of AMD Radeon graphic cards for gaming.
I will find much easier Threadripper on discount than i9-7900X, and investing in i7-7820X with 28 PCI-E lanes and paste... I don't know.
I would like most i9-7900X. He don't need to be overclocked because such high frequency is enough for gaming.

Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
[QUOTE="_JP_, post: 3676577, member: 83671

EDIT: By which I mean, Intel is bringing very little to the table, considering AMD is going to stick to schedule. They could just sell at a loss to try and steal sales, but instead they think their money buffer can withstand until a new arch release...with this kind of product. Talk about being a tank while AMD went the for flying fortress strategy o_O[/QUOTE]

Nobody seems to have noticed the other advantages of X299 - bus speed - DMI3 (8GT/s), instead of DMI2 5GT/s on X99. X299 has 24 chipset lanes of PCIe3.0, X99 only had 8 lanes of PCIe2.0. So almost twice the bus speed, and 3x the PCIe lanes, all twice as fast as the older chipset's lanes. Also Turbo Boost 3.0 boosts twice as many cores when possible. I'll buy the i7-7800X (6/12, 3.5/4.0) for $389, just to take advantage of the new platform. I think a total of 52 PCIe 3.0 lanes will be enough to run 1 or 2 video cards and lots of fast NVMe storage, so not really seeing 28 CPU lanes as a problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 454
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
I wo
[QUOTE="_JP_, post: 3676577, member: 83671

EDIT: By which I mean, Intel is bringing very little to the table, considering AMD is going to stick to schedule. They could just sell at a loss to try and steal sales, but instead they think their money buffer can withstand until a new arch release...with this kind of product. Talk about being a tank while AMD went the for flying fortress strategy o_O

Nobody seems to have noticed the other advantages of X299 - bus speed - DMI3 (8GT/s), instead of DMI2 5GT/s on X99. X299 has 24 chipset lanes of PCIe3.0, X99 only had 8 lanes of PCIe2.0. So almost twice the bus speed, and 3x the PCIe lanes, all twice as fast as the older chipset's lanes. Also Turbo Boost 3.0 boosts twice as many cores when possible. I'll buy the i7-7800X (6/12, 3.5/4.0) for $389, just to take advantage of the new platform. I think a total of 52 PCIe 3.0 lanes will be enough to run 1 or 2 video cards and lots of fast NVMe storage, so not really seeing 28 CPU lanes as a problem.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, X299 is very nice platform with some little flaws. Only flaws for me are 28 PCI-E lanes on 8 core. I was interested for him before I hear that and thermal paste is worse for me flaw.
But I can't upgrade from 6 core Haswell-X to 6 core Skylake-X. Maybe someone with 4 cores and older platform. Because I invest always in premium motherboards and simply not worth to pay 450 euro for motherboard and still CPU to be weaker than 1800X. I could buy 1800X for 350 euro.
Minimum i7-7820X. PCI-E lanes are not such big problem for people who have single GPU, with 8 cores model.
Intel X299 PCH is have 6 times more PCI-E lanes than AMD X399. 24 vs 4. People as me could use that for PCI-E SSD, M.2 NVMe, Sound Card,...
I don't know what is with Intel Optane Memory, 16 vs 32GB, they say improve different things. What is with X299 and Optane. They go on M.2 slot.

That mean motherboards with multi M.2 slots as ASUS Rampage VI Apex are welcomed.
She have 2 x ROG DIMM.2, for 4 M.2 device I think. Everything fit on 28 PCI-E lanes CPU and 24 from chipset.
Only if customer use single GPU. I always like one big premium than SLI/CF.

Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
I wo

Nobody seems to have noticed the other advantages of X299 - bus speed - DMI3 (8GT/s), instead of DMI2 5GT/s on X99. X299 has 24 chipset lanes of PCIe3.0, X99 only had 8 lanes of PCIe2.0. So almost twice the bus speed, and 3x the PCIe lanes, all twice as fast as the older chipset's lanes. Also Turbo Boost 3.0 boosts twice as many cores when possible. I'll buy the i7-7800X (6/12, 3.5/4.0) for $389, just to take advantage of the new platform. I think a total of 52 PCIe 3.0 lanes will be enough to run 1 or 2 video cards and lots of fast NVMe storage, so not really seeing 28 CPU lanes as a problem.

Exactly, X299 is very nice platform with some little flaws. Only flaws for me are 28 PCI-E lanes on 8 core. I was interested for him before I hear that and thermal paste is worse for me flaw.
But I can't upgrade from 6 core Haswell-X to 6 core Skylake-X. Maybe someone with 4 cores and older platform. Because I invest always in premium motherboards and simply not worth to pay 450 euro for motherboard and still CPU to be weaker than 1800X. I could buy 1800X for 350 euro.
Minimum i7-7820X. PCI-E lanes are not such big problem for people who have single GPU, with 8 cores model.
Intel X299 PCH is have 6 times more PCI-E lanes than AMD X399. 24 vs 4. People as me could use that for PCI-E SSD, M.2 NVMe, Sound Card,...
I don't know what is with Intel Optane Memory, 16 vs 32GB, they say improve different things. What is with X299 and Optane. They go on M.2 slot.

That mean motherboards with multi M.2 slots as ASUS Rampage VI Apex are welcomed.
She have 2 x ROG DIMM.2, for 4 M.2 device I think. Everything fit on 28 PCI-E lanes CPU and 24 from chipset.
Only if customer use single GPU. I always like one big premium than SLI/CF.[/QUOTE]
I like the way you think; the $600 i7-7820X will be the sweet spot - same boost clocks as the $1000 i9-7900X, also has Turbo Boost 3.0, you save $400 and only lose 2 cores and 16 PCIe lanes. The i7-7740X is also very interesting, rumored to OC very high on air and water, same price as mainstream i7-7700K.