• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vortex Race 3 Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The Race 3 is the latest iteration in the Race 75% keyboard line from Vortexgear, offering TKL functionality in a much smaller form factor. In addition, the Race 3 has thick PBT keycaps, multiple OS and layout support, four layers with programmability, and an anodized aluminum case to make sure you get a long-lasting keyboard of high build quality.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a fan of keyboards which use non-standard keylayout. I do see a point of having TKL keyboards but having keys crammed together in nonstandard layout does take sometime getting used to.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS
Great review as usual :toast:

Those 1.5u Esc and Delete are what putting me off from this keyboard. Why don't they just put the usual 1u Esc and Delete and use the remaining 1u space for another key? Like Insert or Print Screen or something else.

I'm getting KBD75 over this keyboard, better keycaps compatibility, full programmable, and non-floating key design.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Not really a fan of keyboards which use non-standard keylayout. I do see a point of having TKL keyboards but having keys crammed together in nonstandard layout does take sometime getting used to.

Vortex is one of many companies now providing smaller form factor keyboards. The market is small relatively, but growing at a very fast rate. These do need some time to get used to, as you mentioned, but helps out for those having a small or crowded desk as well as those who do not want to move fingers as much for efficient typing. Then there is the customer who travels often and needs a small, low profile keyboard for some reason- I know a few people like this personally.

This too is not for everyone, but unlike the Vortex CORE 40% keyboard this is a lot more appealing to the general consumer.
Great review as usual :toast:

Those 1.5u Esc and Delete are what putting me off from this keyboard. Why don't they just put the usual 1u Esc and Delete and use the remaining 1u space for another key? Like Insert or Print Screen or something else.

I'm getting KBD75 over this keyboard, better keycaps compatibility, full programmable, and non-floating key design.

This is how it looks with the 1.25u and 1u keys on the top corners:

Some did not mind the look above and said they are willing to go that route with custom keycaps, but it can trigger OCD :D

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS
This is how it looks with the 1.25u and 1u keys on the top corners:

Some did not mind the look above and said they are willing to go that route with custom keycaps, but it can trigger OCD :D

I can tolerate the 1.25u but the 1u keys is weird, like what Magicforce did with their 82 series :D I think it would be nicer if both were 1.25u keys.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I can tolerate the 1.25u but the 1u keys is weird, like what Magicforce did with their 82 series :D I think it would be nicer if both were 1.25u keys.

I agree, and that also means a dedicated Ins button next to Del.

Processor 13700KF - 5.7GHZ
Motherboard Z690 UNIFY-X
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 (NF-A12x25)
Memory 2x16 G.SKILL M-DIE (7200-34-44-44-28)
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 7900XT
Storage 1TB KINGSTON KC3000
Display(s) FI32Q
Case LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC EVO
Audio Device(s) HD599
Power Supply RMX1000
Mouse PULSAR XLITE V2 MINI (RETRO)
Keyboard KEYCHRON V3 (DUROCK T1 + MT3 GODSPEED R2)
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Superposition 4k optimized - 20652
I do not mind the non-standardized layout, all in all is this the best 75% keyboard to get ? Seems to be of high quality.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I do not mind the non-standardized layout, all in all is this the best 75% keyboard to get ? Seems to be of high quality.

I do not have any personal experience with others in this form factor (yet) but this is indeed built very well. Go for it!