• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Core i9-7900X Skylake-X Review Shows Up

D

Deleted member 172152

No. Just no. Better TIM might have lowered temps a little, but not enough to affect power consumption in such a way as to affect clocking ability. It simply doesn't work that way. What sort of power drop are you expecting from changing paste? higher clocks = higher power use; so how many watts per 100 MHz these CPUs use?

I will gladly take my 7900X and de-lid and prove that. I've got more than one. Heck, I'll do them all just to prove a point. I don't pay for this stuff, so I don't give a flying ... I just need to keep one with its top because I swap boards like every week working on reviews.

I'd be happy if I never saw another CPU with solder. I'd much rather buy a CPU that can work just fine with paste and can run a little bit hot, but is fine, compared to a CPU that requires solder right out of the box. The one with the paste, that can be subjected to those "harsh" conditions, is all that much of a higher quality.

Hey, maybe these CPUs are ones that makes me say de-lid is worth it. I don't see it as worth it with the mainstream Intel CPUs, but if it truly matters with these, I have no problem saying so.
Mostly ignoring, except I want to say one thing: AMD ryzen doesn't NEED solder and it doesn't NEED a good stock cooler and yet AMD just gives them for free (except the cooler in some cases of course)!

System Name Poke
Processor i7-7700K OC 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280
Memory G.skill TridentZ DDR4 16GB 2X8GB kit 3600 Mhz XMP
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080TI FE
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB SSD / Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB HDD
Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144 Hz
Case NZXT H440 Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Software Win 10 Home x64
it will last through its warranty at least... again, if it was harmful to run that hot, intel would have lowred the throttling temp. As it stands, thats 100c...and shutdown is, guessing here, 110c.

4ghz on Average, yet weve seen 4.7 and 4.8 so far... im sure 4.5ghz is in the cards with aio cooling and reasonable voltages...
The problem is that those high temps will degrade the overclocking potential overtime, let's say if the CPU could achieve 4.7 ghz sitting on 1.25v it will start having BSODs and you'll need a higher voltage to make it stable leading to a even more higher temperatures, makes sense why they did this though, if it was soldered people could achieve easily 400+ watts tdp and that could technically burn the entire motherboard, there's a lot involved.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
This overclocking outrage is nonsense, it's still better at overclocking that the (upcoming) counterparts from AMD.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
The one with the paste, that can be subjected to those "harsh" conditions, is all that much of a higher quality.

Are you saying soldered CPUs can't put up with the same thermal strain as a paste cpu?

This is a legit question by the way. I've heard rumors about "microcracks" and such and am unsure what to think on that front.

D

Deleted member 172152

Are you saying soldered CPUs can't put up with the same thermal strain as a paste cpu?

This is a legit question by the way. I've heard rumors about "microcracks" and such and am unsure what to think on that front.
Solder is perfectly fine under cpu temperatures.

Intel TIM is worse for power consumption as well btw. Less heat conductivity, means more heat, which means lower efficiency which means more power is required.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Intel TIM is worse for power consumption as well btw. Less heat conductivity, means more heat, which means lower efficiency which means more power is required.
What?
How does conductivity negatively impact efficiency?
And BTW, i9-7900X overclocks just fine.

D

Deleted member 172152

What?
How does conductivity negatively impact efficiency?
And BTW, i9-7900X overclocks just fine.
Can we just ignore the overclocks for a second? Intel cpu's would overclock better if they had been soldered and could have higher baseclocks. Lower heat conductivity-> less heat transfer-> higher resistance-> more power required for same result. Simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I will gladly take my 7900X and de-lid and prove that. I've got more than one. Heck, I'll do them all just to prove a point. I don't pay for this stuff, so I don't give a flying ... I just need to keep one with its top because I swap boards like every week working on reviews.

Well, I for one would like to see this. If you are serious, let me know and let's see what we can make happen.

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
Sorry, CMIIW, is it Core i9 have ever shown on intel roadmap?

If not, can't wait for next Core i11 with LakeLakeXxX codename, it will be much better for sure.

opojare

Sorry, CMIIW, is it Core i9 have ever shown on intel roadmap?

If not, can't wait for next Core i11 with LakeLakeXxX codename, it will be much better for sure.
Roadmap is where companies introduce architecture/product codename.
Core i-X, Geforce GTX-XXX, R-X are brand names. Whatever catchy name marketing team deemed the best.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well, I for one would like to see this. If you are serious, let me know and let's see what we can make happen.
Of course I'm serious. I'm sure I can afford to; it just so happens I have these laying around doing nothing... :p We'll chat.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Intel cpu's would overclock less well if they had been soldered
Perhaps you meant to say the opposite... because the opposite is true. Well, not by much but... yeah.

No. Just no. Better TIM might have lowered temps a little, but not enough to affect power consumption in such a way as to affect clocking ability. It simply doesn't work that way. What sort of power drop are you expecting from changing paste? higher clocks = higher power use; so how many watts per 100 MHz these CPUs use?

I'd be happy if I never saw another CPU with solder. I'd much rather buy a CPU that can work just fine with paste and can run a little bit hot, but is fine, compared to a CPU that requires solder right out of the box. The one with the paste, that can be subjected to those "harsh" conditions, is all that much of a higher quality.

Hey, maybe these CPUs are ones that makes me say de-lid is worth it. I don't see it as worth it with the mainstream Intel CPUs, but if it truly matters with these, I have no problem saying so.
QFT...

Wondering what I will do with mine... they just got here today... :(

The problem is that those high temps will degrade the overclocking potential overtime, let's say if the CPU could achieve 4.7 ghz sitting on 1.25v it will start having BSODs and you'll need a higher voltage to make it stable leading to a even more higher temperatures, makes sense why they did this though, if it was soldered people could achieve easily 400+ watts tdp and that could technically burn the entire motherboard, there's a lot involved.
Zzzzzzzzzz, you overclock, there are risks. But as I said, I'll gladly run it up there all day long as I have done before. It will last its warranty period... not worried. I don't keep these for more than a few years anyway. ;)

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
lol the amount of ignorant BS coming out of some people's mouths.
:lovetpu:

@cadaveca I Haven't played with you since BC2/BF3. can't wait to see what you get with those chips :toast:

Last edited:
System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
Then educate. No irony; as i type it.

New Doc 2017-06-18_1.jpg

These aren't things that can be explained in a simple post or article.
The problem is the people that think they are "experts" because they read about it in some online "article" and then spreading all the misinformation as fact.
I'm not pointing any fingers here just stating what I see.

Last edited:
System Name Poke
Processor i7-7700K OC 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280
Memory G.skill TridentZ DDR4 16GB 2X8GB kit 3600 Mhz XMP
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080TI FE
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB SSD / Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB HDD
Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144 Hz
Case NZXT H440 Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Software Win 10 Home x64
Zzzzzzzzzz, you overclock, there are risks. But as I said, I'll gladly run it up there all day long as I have done before. It will last its warranty period... not worried. I don't keep these for more than a few years anyway. ;)
Same, that's why i buy FE cards with a full speed fan curve instead of customs :D

Oh I'll gladly pay for a death match, OCed to the extreme (review) :D

Your point makes no sense as Intel did solder as recently as 6950x or SB for mainstream processors.

If you have to delid a CPU, in order to cool it, I'd say definitely not worth it since someone obviously short changed you. It's like saying you bought a Titan (GPU) & had to change the cheapo thermal paste because it ran obscenely hot when OCed, I'm sure many people don't like fiddling with their warranties either.

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
I'm not pointing any fingers here just stating what I see.

Would be fine even if you did, facts are facts, gotta come first :)
But seriously, at least specify who's wrong in what, helps keep the conversation relevant (and those interested, to google and inform themselves properly).

Can we just ignore the overclocks for a second? Intel cpu's would overclock less well if they had been soldered and could have higher baseclocks. Lower heat conductivity-> less heat transfer-> higher resistance-> more power required for same result. Simple.

Why do you insist on the higher base clocks?
Ryzen is soldered, cool and efficient. Yet, it hits the wall very quickly.
In fact AMD has been having issues at high temp for years. There's a comparison of stock coolers at SPCR which showed (among other things) that A10 APU started throttling at 50*C, while i7 was fine up to 75-80*C.

Generally speaking, why are people so afraid of 100*C? Is it because water's boiling point? Don't worry - CPUs are not made of H2O...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Your point makes no sense as Intel did solder as recently as 6950x or SB for mainstream processors.

Sure. 2600K for mainstream. as we got better and better, the solder went bye-bye. Now it's time for this to come to the high-end and server markets, now that it's been field tested and proven effective.

And I'll add this: not one person that I have seen is asking for solder on GPUs, which tend to take up the same relative die space at the high-end, and push similar power consumption too compared to 7900X on full OC. Paste works just fine in GPUs, and CPUs are no different, never mind CPUs that are in most instances, going to be pulling less than 150W. This is the most hilarious topic ever, paste vs solder. Solder isn't needed, and is a waste of your hard-earned dollars, as evidenced by billions of GPUs sold over decades, never mind modern CPUs.

That's what I want, CPUs that can take the same abuse GPUs do, bare bloody die. I want 300W 4096 core CPUs, but not everyone can be so forward-thinking.

And yes, I de-lidded GPUs, too. So what. :roll:

:pimp:

D

Deleted member 172152

Sure. 2600K for mainstream. as we got better and better, the solder went bye-bye. Now it's time for this to come to the high-end and server markets, now that it's been field tested and proven effective.

And I'll add this: not one person that I have seen is asking for solder on GPUs, which tend to take up the same relative die space at the high-end, and push similar power consumption too compared to 7900X on full OC. Paste works just fine in GPUs, and CPUs are no different, never mind CPUs that are in most instances, going to be pulling less than 150W. This is the most hilarious topic ever, paste vs solder. Solder isn't needed, and is a waste of your hard-earned dollars, as evidenced by billions of GPUs sold over decades, never mind modern CPUs.

That's what I want, CPUs that can take the same abuse GPUs do, bare bloody die. I want 300W 4096 core CPUs, but not everyone can be so forward-thinking.

People complain if it's bad thermal paste as well, although generally speaking it's good enough nowadays for nobody to care. Also, gpu's don't have lids and the paste is applied directly to the die, cutting out the terrible intel TIM middle man.

Why do you insist on the higher base clocks?
Ryzen is soldered, cool and efficient. Yet, it hits the wall very quickly.
In fact AMD has been having issues at high temp for years. There's a comparison of stock coolers at SPCR which showed (among other things) that A10 APU started throttling at 50*C, while i7 was fine up to 75-80*C.

Generally speaking, why are people so afraid of 100*C? Is it because water's boiling point? Don't worry - CPUs are not made of H2O...
Cpu's aren't made of water, no. However, higher temps mean higher energy bills, lower oc's and a much higher chance of your cpu breaking, or even your mobo because your cpu needs to pull too much power.

AMD fixed their temps, so that's a rubbish point. Only old APU's and cpu's still have high temps, but they're now the extremely low budget options not many will buy except maybe for people just wanting a pc to work. Besides, raven ridge is coming to save the dat on the APU front and mobilr in general will be fixed with ryzen mobile.

AMD also manages to squeeze the most out of their cpu's at their rated tdp's, without extremely high temps. That's only possible because they use solder, not a sh*tty TIM. An 1800x for example doesn't need to be overclocked to get 95%+ out of your cpu because of that and a 1700 will just about work in a laptop paired with a 65w rx580.

I'm just stating the obvious. You can be an intel fanboy on mars if you like, but honestly being a fanboy of intel and not AMD right now just makes you look like you are the sort of person willing to buy an intel cpu made of cheese if it performs better than AMD's, even though it will melt. I don't care that you want to buy intel, but LOVING their new enthousiasts products?! That's just weird.

I'm not asking for solder on a GPU, it was just an analogy to show that a Titan buyer too would be pissed if the GPU maker chose el cheapo TIM instead of a better & viable alternative.

Sure it isn't, heck why do we need a lid, just to delid some of these mini furnaces later on? Because it makes better sense for the CPU maker to not sell them bare die, for all sorts of screw ups the retail buyer could do at his end.
So what does Intel do ~ you want more than 28 lanes shell out a grand, you want solder cough up 4k (xeon) or need ECC get a Xeon.

Their upsell is ridiculous, even by Apple standards. Not sure that's a good thing any which way you look at it.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
solder or paste isnt about chips running cooler its about an extra couple of hundred over clocking mhz speed from any given cpu before what seems to be a highly speculative temp ceiling is hit..

the problem now isnt the cooler.. its getting adequate heat transfer from chip to cooler.. as chips get smaller the problem gets greater.. heater spreaders are also load spreaders they enable huge coolers to be attached to tiny chips.. a gpu chip is bigger so the problem isnt there..

but in the end it all only comes down to at most a couple of hundred extra mhz from any given chip before that highly speculative heat ceiling is hit.. a huge fuss about f-ck all..

trog

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
A lot of people seem to be ragging on this but 10 cores at 4.7 in a monolithic design is epic.

With that sort of IPC and clock speed I don't think Intel have anything to worry about just yet.

I predict their 16 and 18 core models to be able to match thread ripper clocks and therefore be the more powerful chips to buy.

But are they worth double AMD chips?

Not for me so I'll be going AMD for Christmas probably.

But for professionals Intel is probably still the way forward.

Honestly some are you are straight up ignoring the basic facts.

This thing is a 7700 k with 6 more cores, any of you that thought the 7700k was the best cpu ( especially for gaming) then you should be having wet knickers over this CPU.

Sure it's expensive as hell but our pay a premium for performance, all of you are jumping to the conclusion that this doesn't used a solder chip either, based on what? The temperatures at 4.7ghz with 10 cores in a monolithic package? Guys, I hate to brake it to you but that is going to get toasty no matter what, even if they used diamond heat spreaders and crap like that. This is a bigger chip that the i7 chips that don't use solder so in all likelihood this is a soldered part, but it's 10 cores at silly speeds so gets hot.

Run the thing at Ryzen speeds and it will run incredibly cool I recon.

Last edited:
System Name My PC
Processor Intel 3770k
Motherboard MSI Z77a-GD65
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair 2133mhz 16gb
Video Card(s) xfx HD 7870 Black x2
How does the bolded text make any sense?

Let's say you delid your CPU,(voiding warranty) use some sort of liquid metal between the IHS and die and benefit 20 degrees lower temps. Now let's say that if soldered the same chip would now run 20 degrees or so cooler.

Why would you rather buy a CPU with just paste instead of being soldered adding to your own personal cost and voiding warranty for what at the end would be the same result?