• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alienware Inks Ryzen Threadripper 16-core Exclusivity Deal with AMD

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Alienware has inked an exclusivity deal with AMD which makes it the only pre-built gaming PC vendor to sell desktops with 16-core Ryzen Threadripper processors, until the end of 2017. The company's upcoming Area 51 desktops will feature AMD's flagship 16-core/32-thread processors, combined with quad-channel memory, and the fastest graphics card options money can buy. This does not affect DIY consumers. You will still be able to buy retail PIB (processor in a box) packages of the 16-core Threadripper chips from your friendly neighborhood PC hardware store. Alienware will, however, make its next Area 51 release special to make the most out of this exclusivity deal.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
Yeah, yeah - another overpriced pre-built. Good for AMD pulling that extra mulla though.

Not sure that's a good thing, exclusivity, but it might also be a production issue, maybe GF can't keep up with the ever increasing demand of Ryzen+TR+EPYC & Polaris(?) :pimp:

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Yeah, yeah - another overpriced pre-built.
I saw an Area 51 just yesterday, it was $5,000 and only an Intel Processor, I could build the same system in a different case for a third of that.

Alienware has inked an exclusivity deal with AMD which makes it the only pre-built gaming PC vendor to sell desktops with 16-core Ryzen Threadripper processors, until the end of 2017.
I can't stop thinking that it's not Alienware getting a great exclusive deal. It's AMD fighting for a large vendor after the Ryzen tragedy.
Also, it's not obvious to me whether this is just for "gaming" desktops or all PCs. If the former, how does this deal define a gaming PC? If latter, no Threadripper productivity desktops until 2018, so not before Intel releases its 12+ core CPUs. Pfff...
But I see it's this gaming malarkey all over again...
I saw an Area 51 just yesterday, it was $5,000 and only an Intel Processor, I could build the same system in a different case for a third of that.
Maybe you could build a PC cheaper, but most can't. And of course buying a PC from a large vendor is a huge comfort - something that's hard to measure in money or frequencies...
I'm not ashamed to say this: I simply can't afford a Dell workstation, but I would love to get one. Maybe one day. ;-)

As I see it, exclusivity is another form of over-priced branding, and I do not necessarily think that this is a smart move for AMD. Throughout the history of pre-built PCs, there have been a number of over-priced brands and pretty much all of them are no longer available, in part because enthusiasts discovered that they could get what they want and similar if not better quality at a much lower price by building their own.

As for me, I will build my next PC.

Last edited:
Maybe you could build a PC cheaper, but most can't. And of course buying a PC from a large vendor is a huge comfort - something that's hard to measure in money or frequencies...
I'm not ashamed to say this: I simply can't afford a Dell workstation, but I would love to get one. Maybe one day. ;-)
After having used a Dell workstation at work for the past 7-years, I could easily have built a better workstation at the time my company got this for me probably for less cost or maybe the same amount of money. What big companies like Dell try to do is to get their customers to buy into some sort of mystique they build around their brand. The mystique includes making you think that their brand is better than any other, and that you are getting some extra value that is worth the extra price. For me, there is nothing about this workstation that I could not have done better. There is no enhanced reliability or really anything that makes it worth the extra price, IMO.

Also, another company that I worked for was buying Dell for their product. Essentially, they wiped every machine that came in because there was so much crapware on them. I convinced them to build their own. This was more than ten-years ago, and they are still building their own.

After having used a Dell workstation at work for the past 7-years, I could easily have built a better workstation at the time my company got this for me probably for less cost or maybe the same amount of money. What big companies like Dell try to do is to get their customers to buy into some sort of mystique they build around their brand.
No. What big companies like Dell do is they provide SUPPORT. That's what you pay for.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
This is a bad business deal for AMD but maybe the deal is with only 1 certain model of the 16 core Threadripper. I think there is 3 of them.
If the deal is for all 3 versions, this is a major bad deal for AMD. Alienware is not that large of a player in the overpriced gamer pc market.
Most of the hardcore esports or what ever they are want higher clock speeds not higher core count. Ryzen 7-8 core count is good but it needs higher clock speeds.

No. What big companies like Dell do is they provide SUPPORT. That's what you pay for.
Exactly why large OEMs are prefered over custom built PCs in any sort of enterprise environment. Especially with Dell which does offer excellent after sales supports for those environments.

Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The way that I see it is that what companies like Dell provide is an impression of support. Our local IT department does all the support, and, to be honest, the knowledge of the better people using these Dell workstations is beyond that of our local IT department.

Part of why I say this is that I have never had a problem with the workstation. From that aspect, it is no different than any build I have ever done. Choose the right components, and reliability is high. It is not necessarily even choosing the "right components" since most components last for years these days. Perhaps what might not last that long are spinning disk hard drives, but even these last a long time these days.

Also, I contacted SUPPORT when I was working for the company that I convinced to build their own, and I was much less than impressed.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
The Dell "support" you pay for is a joke, non-technical people reading from a script. Most of it is trying to deal with all their own crapware, dozens of buggy "utilities" that mostly mine user data, under the guise of helpfully telling you about a "problem". No thanks...

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

As an amateur gamer and PC user, my biggest pleasure is to buy and search for the separate components and then assembly them. Where's the fun in buying a pre-build system? pfff....

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The way that I see it is that what companies like Dell provide is an impression of support. Our local IT department does all the support, and, to be honest, the knowledge of the better people using these Dell workstations is beyond that of our local IT department.

Part of why I say this is that I have never had a problem with the workstation. From that aspect, it is no different than any build I have ever done. Choose the right components, and reliability is high. It is not necessarily even choosing the "right components" since most components last for years these days. Perhaps what might not last that long are spinning disk hard drives, but even these last a long time these days.

Also, I contacted SUPPORT when I was working for the company that I convinced to build their own, and I was much less than impressed.

Support used to mean something, then everything went offshore. As you said, if you know anything about computers it's likely easy for yourself. Unfortunately many people don't know squat about computers and do require support, hence why OEM brands are still around.

What "tragedy" would that be?
Absence in pre-built PCs. We've only seen a handful of machines (from gaming rigs to AIOs) from major OEMs.
This is worrying at best.

As an amateur gamer and PC user, my biggest pleasure is to buy and search for the separate components and then assembly them. Where's the fun in buying a pre-build system? pfff....
As a PC user and gamer, you have most pleasure from building PCs? Have you read this before posting? :)

Support used to mean something, then everything went offshore. As you said, if you know anything about computers it's likely easy for yourself. Unfortunately many people don't know squat about computers and do require support, hence why OEM brands are still around.
I cannot argue with you. Many people, as you say, don't know squat.

Absence in pre-built PCs. We've only seen a handful of machines (from gaming rigs to AIOs) from major OEMs.
This is worrying at best.
Actually, not at all if you think about it. Most of the major OEM's are validating and designing systems based on Ryzen 3, 5, 7 & 9 at this time. Remember, Ryzen is still less that 6 months "old" and OEM engineering R&D teams need time to run new tech through their in-house validation procedures. They often offer 3, 5 and up to 10 year warranties and they want to make sure they can offer a technology that will be as reliable as possible while being cost effective. Give them time. Dell/Alienware in particular will be releasing Ryzen based products soon. Ryzen performance is there and so is demand, they will answer that demand as soon as they can to take advantage.

Actually, not at all if you think about it. Most of the major OEM's are validating and designing systems based on Ryzen 3, 5, 7 & 9 at this time. Remember, Ryzen is still less that 6 months "old" and OEM engineering R&D teams need time to run new tech through their in-house validation procedures. They often offer 3, 5 and up to 10 year warranties and they want to make sure they can offer a technology that will be as reliable as possible while being cost effective. Give them time. Dell/Alienware in particular will be releasing Ryzen based products soon. Ryzen performance is there and so is demand, they will answer that demand as soon as they can to take advantage.
You know that these products are being designed or you think/hope they are? :)

It's been a month since I wrote that post and not much changes. There are still just few desktops available - usually gaming-oriented. Ryzen is still absent in business-grade stuff and workstations.
Maybe OEMs are waiting for a Zen APU, but by the time AMD decides to release it, Intel will catch up on performance/price and the Ryzen ball will be over.

Or maybe the platform simply isn't robust enough to be offered to corporate clients? Maybe that's why AMD made the weird Ryzen PRO lineup?

You know that these products are being designed or you think/hope they are? :)
Um, what was this article about again? Hmm..
It's been a month since I wrote that post and not much changes. There are still just few desktops available - usually gaming-oriented. Ryzen is still absent in business-grade stuff and workstations.
Validation processes take time, especially for enterprise/business grade platforms. AMD effectively surprised the market with Ryzen and most OEM's were caught off guard along with Intel.
Maybe OEMs are waiting for a Zen APU, but by the time AMD decides to release it, Intel will catch up on performance/price and the Ryzen ball will be over.
That might happen. However I think AMD has another "AthlonXP/Athlon64" type thing going here. The dynamic is the same, the approach more refined. AMD has yet again taken the industry but surprise and will likely have the performance/price advantage for a number of years to come. This will force Intel to forge ahead, drop their prices and actually compete. Add to this that the general population is swiftly swinging toward mobile as a primary computing platform, and Intel has an uphill battle on it's hands.
Or maybe the platform simply isn't robust enough to be offered to corporate clients?
If you think that, you haven't been paying attention and need to review AMD historical trends and compare them to current events. At the science lab I work at we are talking to a major OEM about using Ryzen as a primary platform. Both Ryzen 7 and 9 have amazing scientific potential and with the test systems we've been using, the platform has very real, practical usefulness. It's performance level greatly exceeds that of Intel's offerings at similar price points any even those at nearly twice the price all while offering similar or lower power envelope and thermal requirements.
Maybe that's why AMD made the weird Ryzen PRO lineup?
Weird? What's weird about it?

Last edited:
Validation processes take time, especially for enterprise/business grade platforms. AMD effectively surprised the market with Ryzen and most OEM's were caught off guard along with Intel.
All true. But as a result this process takes very long and Ryzen is loosing the early advantage.
With Intel it'll be business as usual. New consumer socket will be implemented almost instantly.
Intel also played nicely with new Xeons. LGA 3647 is not new, so OEM partners will not be surprised by the specification. They might be launched together with Threadripper competition.
AMD has yet again taken the industry but surprise and will likely have the performance/price advantage for a number of years to come.
That's optimistic. X299 is already very close to Ryzen 7 on the lower end and shouldn't be far behind Threadripper. They will cost more, but Intel will make a profit. AMD's profit is still a mystery (in 2 weeks we'll see their Q2 statement).
It's the same in consumer segment. If Intel manages to make a 6-core CPU with single-core performance similar to that of 7700K, it might match Ryzen 8-core variants.
Add to this that the general population is swiftly swinging toward mobile as a primary computing platform, and Intel has an uphill battle on it's hands.
I don't see how this is a problem for Intel any more than it is for AMD. In fact Intel is in a much better situation: they're doing chips for mobile devices, for autonomous cars, for industry etc. It's not great, but still way more diversified than AMD's portfolio.
Both Ryzen 7 and 9 have amazing scientific potential and with the test systems we've been using, the platform has very real, practical usefulness. It's performance level greatly exceeds that of Intel's offerings at similar price points any even those at nearly twice the price all while offering similar or lower power envelope and thermal requirements.
They have the same potential Intel counterparts have. "Nearly twice the price"? i7-7820X will perform better than Ryzen 7 1800X and it costs just $600 compared to $420. And there's a large gap in single-core performance.
But generally speaking: wouldn't you just prefer a computation server rather than powerful PCs? Why not buy a decent server and give people notebooks? :)
Weird? What's weird about it?
Weird as in: few months after releasing Ryzen, AMD adds another lineup that they themselves describe as "this one is really good". Like if the original Ryzen was an experimental, uncooked platform for early adopters. Why not do it properly from the start?