• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Releases AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
GIGABYTE, the world's leading premium gaming hardware manufacturer, today announced the release of the highly-anticipated AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box, a true plug-and-play external graphics solution that was unveiled earlier at COMPUTEX 2017 with much attention received for its innovative design and affordability. Pre-installed with a high-end GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card, the device can easily transform any Thunderbolt 3-enabled laptop into a powerful gaming battle station.

Unlike most conventional external graphics enclosures that come with an empty dock, the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box is a complete package with a factory-overclocked GTX 1070 graphics card already built inside, requiring no extra hassle or cost to put together an accommodating graphics card separately. Thanks to the Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, the device is able to provide a significant graphics boost to laptops with a blazing-fast data transfer speed of 40Gbps, while delivering up to 100W of power to the connected laptop at the same time with the embedded 450W PSU. The Thunderbolt 3 plug-and-play support also allows for quick, easy connections without having to reboot the PC.

The AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box also provides a more compact solution compared to other external graphics alternatives with its small form factor, which takes up very little space and can be easily stored or carried on the go with the included carrying bag, enhancing the device with better portability. On the side of the chassis, there is customizable color lighting powered by RGB Fusion.

In addition to the graphics performance upgrade, the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box acts as a docking station. Aside from the HDMI, DisplayPort, and two dual-link DVI outputs to pair with single or multiple external monitors, the device also has a collection of three USB 3.0 ports available at the back for connecting peripherals or external storage for an enhanced user experience. There is also an extra Quick Charge 3.0 port that allows for personal mobile device charging at up to 4 times the speed of a conventional charger.

For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 4790k / ryzen 1700
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Extreme / gigabyte b350 mini itx
Cooling Corsair H70 / cooler master master liquid
Memory 32gb DDR3 / 32gb ddr4
Video Card(s) Gtx 1080 / gtx 1080
Storage 128gb Samsung 850 Pro, 2tb hdd / 500gb 850 evo
Case Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 / Silverstone m13b
Power Supply 1000W OCZ Gold Full Modular / seasonic focus 850w
Mouse Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Sadly thunderbolt has huge performance decreasing issues when using it with external cards like this. The thing looks pretty awesome though, gotta give em that. Hopefully we'll see a version that doesn't come with a gpu so you can plug your own into it.

What I really like about this is the size, which seems to put it among the smaller offerings per date.

It seems that the current eGPU solutions are mainly geared towards those who wish to dock their laptop at home and have more GPU power. My use case is a bit different, I have a powerful desktop at home, but would really like to have a laptop with only iGPU, and have a portable eGPU for when I am gaming at a friend's house. This eGPU should preferably be as compact as possible, e.g. with the laptop version of GTX 1060. Does anyone know of such a product?

System Name Perf/price king /w focus on low noise and TDP
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Black
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 & 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Display(s) Home: LG 29UB65-P & Work: LG 34UB88-B
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX /w Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power CM E9 80+ Gold 480W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD optical
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M500
Software Win10
A niche product (eGPU enclosure) that only accepts niche GPUs (non-full-size). I bet it's going to sell a lot of units ...

Last edited:
A niche product (eGPU enclosure) that only accepts niche GPUs (non-full-size). I bet it's going to sell a lot of units ...
But then again... Designing costs are tiny, so sales volume is not an issue.

And I bet the audience is larger than you think. Think about all those notebook owners that would like to try mining.
And yeah... there's also that old-school thing called "gaming".

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
Think about all those notebook owners that would like to try mining.
And yeah... there's also that old-school thing called "gaming".

I think what he meant was that it accepts mini itx versions of cards, not a typical full sized card, making the choices of gpus to use with it (other than the included 1070) extremely limited. So you are cutting your potential customers down to those who need an eGPU solution, and those who only want to use the very few available mini itx versions of a gpu.

I think what he meant was that it accepts mini itx versions of cards, not a typical full sized card, making the choices of gpus to use with it (other than the included 1070) extremely limited. So you are cutting your potential customers down to those who need an eGPU solution, and those who only want to use the very few available mini itx versions of a gpu.
But you're not buying an empty box. You're buying the 1070 as well - a good card.
They're not cutting potential customers at all - they're actually doing the opposite. Yesterday they had GPUs just for desktop owners. Now they also have a product for notebook users.
Keep in mind this is not an external GPU module with a 1070 bundled. This is a 1070 with an external case included. The box itself is a fairly simple and cheap product.

And I think making this so small was an excellent move, since larger extGPU solutions are available already. Not only are they making a unique product for a (IMO relatively large) niche, but they're also one of the leaders in small dGPUs, so they have a larger change of sale in this market.
In fact the Gigabyte card in this box is 1 of only 2 really small 1070 GPUs available (the other one is MSI Aero ITX).

System Name N/A
Processor Ryzen R5 1600
Motherboard MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen B350
Cooling Wraith heatsink with 1 120mm Rosewill case fan, 2 120mm Corsair Air Series AF. and 1 generic 120mm
Memory Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 Ti
Storage 480gb Micron SSD, 2TB WD black 7200, 1.5TB WD Green
Display(s) ASUS VS278Q-P Black 27" 1ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD/LED Monitor, 300 cd/m2 DCR 80,000,000:1
Case Rosewill Micro-ATX Line-M
Audio Device(s) USB Soundblaster FX with TrueStudio THX
Power Supply CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W
Mouse Zalman ZM-M100
Keyboard Rosewill RIKB-11001 X-Slim Keyboard with Low Profile Chiclet Keycap Design
Software Windows 10 Home
Benchmark Scores Update later
To me this is a hard sell. I still like the empty box approach. As a desktop gamer, I have a ton of older yet still powerful video cards that are just collecting dust. I would love to plug them into an enclosure and use them with my laptop. Problem is that there is no lightning adapter on it. So now I would have to buy a new laptop with a cpu that doesn't bottleneck the gpu and then buy an enclosure case for that old gpu or in this case buy the gpu with the enclosure case and then have the experience I am looking for. In the end, I would rather just spend the money on a high end gaming laptop and not have the enclosure. For the people who already have thunderbolt and a cpu that won't bottleneck the 1070 in this thing, they most likely already have an igpu in the laptop. Same goes for my ITX htpc in the living room. Most of those don't have thunderbolt either, but with an expansion card it would be great to plug in a video card when friends come over and I want to load up some shared screen steam games, then put away the clutter on the entertainment center for my everyday netflixing. Again, why buy a GTX 1070 already in the enclosure when I could use my 550ti, 750ti, or 1050 that are now in a drawer.
Also as mentioned above, thunderbolt does bottleneck, but a 1070 at 40Gbps I would think comes pretty close to hard plug performance.

To me this is a hard sell. I still like the empty box approach.
But you have to consider the fact that notebook owners are used to the comfort of pre-built product. A lot of people <=20 never had a desktop, let alone assembled it.
Finding and mounting a compatible GPU could be an issue for them. They will love the fact that this is just a "black box" - as easy to use as an external drive.
This is pretty much the essence of making technology accessible. :)

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I'd prefer it if they made this box a tad bigger and include mounts for a mini ITX board. Would be far more intriguing then another eGPU box. Make it a half inch taller and it would fit a mini ITX mobo, or even make one the size of the box with a custom mobo with a feature set to match.

An ITX case that size is nearly impossible to find. imagine this box with an integrated 1700 CPU.

I'd prefer it if they made this box a tad bigger and include mounts for a mini ITX board. Would be far more intriguing then another eGPU box. Make it a half inch taller and it would fit a mini ITX mobo, or even make one the size of the box with a custom mobo with a feature set to match.

An ITX case that size is nearly impossible to find. imagine this box with an integrated 1700 CPU.
?
This is an external GPU.
Why would they change it into another ITX case?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Now all we need is more GPU manufacturers to jump on the Mezzanine platform for cards and make the eGPU enclosure smaller and affordable.