• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Foxconn Eyeing US for $10 billion Investment; Looking After Toshiba Deal

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Taiwan-based Foxconn, one of Apple's main suppliers, is looking to expand its operations in the US to the tune of $10 billion. The company is still deciding which state will get the greatest solo investment, in the form of a $7 billion display factory (worth mentioning here is that Foxconn's display manufacturing has seen a recent buff by the acquisition of Sharp.) Reportedly, investments are being considered in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, and/or Texas. There was no given timeframe for the construction's start or finish, but a final decision should be made public in July. Foxconn's CEO Terry Gou also vowed to press on with a bid for Toshiba Corp.'s semiconductor business, although the Japanese company has already selected a preferred buyer in the form of a Japanese and US joint venture. Such a deal could cost $27 billion and introduce Foxconn (and, likely but indirectly, China) into the memory chip business.

"Our investment in the U.S. will focus on these states because they are the heart of the country's manufacturing sector," Terry Gou told investors. "We are bringing the entire industrial chain back to the traditional manufacturing region of the U.S. That may include display making, semiconductor packaging and cloud-related technologies," Gou told reporters later, without elaborating. If such a venture succeeds, that spells great news for the US economy and employment opportunities, even though Foxconn has been investing in the development of a more automated production environment, in a bid to cut workforce costs. One thing is certain: whichever the state that ends up being chosen will see tremendous value added to its economy. Remember, where a big investment lands, other satellite investments soon follow, be it in infrastructure or other areas.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Sorry, but Foxconn is a Taiwanese company, so Terry buying Toshiba's semiconductor business wouldn't really introduce anything into China, unless Foxconn decides to build plants there for making semiconductors.

They guy has clearly lost his mind, as there's no way Japan is going to allow him to take control over Toshiba's semiconductor business. He might be able to do it with some kind of joint venture with Japanese partners that will own at least 50% of the company, but that's not something he's going to want to do.

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Sorry, but Foxconn is a Taiwanese company, so Terry buying Toshiba's semiconductor business wouldn't really introduce anything into China, unless Foxconn decides to build plants there for making semiconductors.

They guy has clearly lost his mind, as there's no way Japan is going to allow him to take control over Toshiba's semiconductor business. He might be able to do it with some kind of joint venture with Japanese partners that will own at least 50% of the company, but that's not something he's going to want to do.

Considering Foxconn has a substantial manufacturing presence in mainland China, I think that isn't all that unlikely, though.

Does Work Comp cover work related suicides

Insurance would go through the roof in the States.

D

Deleted member 67555

Makes me wonder...
There has been talk of some huge factory possibly being built where I live...
They were looking at a property where the world's 3rd largest steel mill used to sit on a 1000 acre lot... that and this area has an abundance of skilled manufacturing workers looking for a job.
I've also noticed an increase of Chinese business professionals taking tours of where I work... Seriously hoping someone buys this place.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Look 10 years down the road: China's middle class is going to want more compensation for the labor they do and the price of oil could easily be double what it is today because the primary Middle East suppliers won't be producing nearly as much as they are today. On top of that, USA offers security and stability that is lacking in southeast Asia not likely to improve over the next decade. These all combine to make automated manufacturing the USA attractive.

Companies around the world are refraining from putting all their eggs in one basket because slips in supply is as bad as slips in demand (lose buyers).

Let's also not forget that states will give crazy incentives to snag a large manufacturer setting up shop in their borders.

This is why Trump was elected. Take away the ten thousand page regulation bibles on businesses and infrastrukture, and "suddenly" companies and jobs are flooding in.

you need kick backs when you want to play favorites and pick winners and loser and help out friends and manipulate the market.
And that is only really necessary when there are so many rules like today. Why do you think big companies seem to get away with everything, while small companies always get fined or shut down for the same things? It's easier to start a business when you don't have to pay kick backs to every Joe Shmoe 'consultant' just for a way to circumvent all the rules. The only reason we have all this overly complicated bureaucracy, and why businesses are staying out, is to benefit those people.

And that is only really necessary when there are so many rules like today. Why do you think big companies seem to get away with everything, while small companies always get fined or shut down for the same things? It's easier to start a business when you don't have to pay kick backs to every Joe Shmoe 'consultant' just for a way to circumvent all the rules.
yea......100s of millions in loans, tax breaks, credits, and so on is because there are too many rules hahahahahhaha

yea......100s of millions in loans, tax breaks, credits, and so on is because there are too many rules
What is even your point? I'm saying tax breaks should be for all companies, not just for the biggest corporations that pay off politicians to get an exception. It's called laissez-faire, funnyman.

If you like the idea of restricting businesses, maybe go live in one of those communist countries. I heard the weather is really good there.

hahahahahhaha
Don't be a douche.

What is even your point? I'm saying tax breaks should be for all companies, not just for the biggest corporations that pay off politicians to get an exception. It's called laissez-faire, funnyman.

If you like the idea of restricting businesses, maybe go live in one of those communist countries. I heard the weather is really good there.

Don't be a douche.
I would like to live in a country where politicians can't play favorites and the market works without grotesque manipulation. Have fun with giving government the power to abuse.

Just let things run and work on their own merit...is that too much to ask?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
This is why Trump was elected. Take away the ten thousand page regulation bibles on businesses and infrastrukture, and "suddenly" companies and jobs are flooding in.

This is far more likely a result of Brazil screwing them over (and them subsequently needing new american infrastructure following them leaving that nation) than anything to do with USA politics. Not that that'll stop politicians from taking credit, mind you.

Oh, and Trumps record as a business man is a pretty sad joke.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Pick WV we need jobs!

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
Really? Was he born with a 3.5 billion net worth?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Really? Was he born with a 3.5 billion net worth?

IIRC, most of his wealth came from his father and he would have done better with a standard savings account.

So kinda, yeah.

IIRC, most of his wealth came from his father and he would have done better with a standard savings account.

So kinda, yeah.

Silly,.. Your assumption is that he would have received 100% of his fathers company assets. Did he have other children, spouse ?

One thing is receiving money another is expanding on it.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Silly,.. Your assumption is that he would have received 100% of his fathers company assets. Did he have other children, spouse ?

One thing is receiving money another is expanding on it.

I fail to see how stating his record is less than impressive is "silly." I was stating that figure without that assumption by the way, based solely on what he received.

I could go dig up more facts on his various near bankruptcies too, but I'd rather not continue this line of discussion honestly. Some google-fu can confirm what I stated.

I fail to see how stating his record is less than impressive is "silly." I was stating that figure without that assumption by the way, based solely on what he received.

I could go dig up more facts on his various near bankruptcies too, but I'd rather not continue this line of discussion honestly. Some google-fu can confirm what I stated.

Fair enough I was just commenting on these

So kinda, yeah.

His fathers $250 was devided up 5+. As far as the business side he was savy enough to use the system to his benefit and still come out on top. Even got the banks to loan him more.

Not sure how that is even a sad joke or even a saving account would have benefited better. The majority of people in the world do far worse with their money.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
The majority of people in the world do far worse with their money.

The majority of businesses also fail. When talking business-success, the majority is an extremely poor metric for succesful business, as the majority IS a sad joke. I just get sick of people presenting the president as some titan of industry, he's not.