• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Enthoo Lux Fan Controller + Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3P Installation

Processor i7 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Cooling OEM Fan
Memory Corsair 32GB Ram
Video Card(s) EVGA 680 2GB SC
Storage Intel 730 / Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) Dell 2740L
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) MB
Power Supply Seasonic 600
Software Win 7 x64
Hi everyone,

Can someone let me know if I can connect the 4 pin fan controller to my MB's CPU_OPT instead of CPU_FAN? The Enthoo Lux fan controller does not have a 4 Pin connection to connect my CPU cooling fan to. So I assume, I can connect the fan controller to the CPU_OPT and plug my cooler directly to the CPU_FAN? I believe the CPU_OPT is for water cooling and I'm not sure if it's a true PWM, it looks like the pin layout is similar to a SYS fan. I just don't want to overload the fan header, as I plan to run 5 fans, 3 built-in plus an additional 2 corsair AF fans. Also, if I do it via the CPU_OPT, should I connect the Sata power? I'm a little confused, as to when the controller uses Sata power vs. MB power to power the fans.

CPU_OPT (Water Cooling CPU Fan Header)
The fan header is 4-pin and possesses a foolproof insertion design. When connecting a fan cable, be sure to connect it in the correct orientation (the black connector wire is the ground wire). The speed control function requires the use of a fan with fan speed control design.
CPU_OPT:
Pin No. Definition
1 GND
2 Speed Control
3 Sense
4 VCC

CPU_FAN:
Pin No. Definition
1 GND
2 +12V
3 Sense
4 Speed Control

CPU_FAN/SYS_FAN1/2/3 (Fan Headers)
All fan headers on this motherboard are 4-pin. Most fan headers possess a foolproof insertion design.
When connecting a fan cable, be sure to connect it in the correct orientation (the black connector wire is
the ground wire). The speed control function requires the use of a fan with fan speed control design. For
optimum heat dissipation, it is recommended that a system fan be installed inside the chassis
SYS_FAN1/2/3:
Pin No. Definition
1 GND
2 Speed Control
3 Sense
4 VCC

Thanks!

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
The fan controller does not draw power from the motherboard, it uses only the sense wire for a RPM signal to supply all the fans on the hub with. As far as I am aware, without the SATA power lead connected, the hub will not function. As for which header to use, I would use the CPU FAN header, and connect everything to the hub, just be sure the BIOS has its setting for PWM for that hub. Easy Peasy!

Processor i7 2600
Cooling OEM Fan
Memory Corsair 32GB Ram
Display(s) Dell 2740L
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) MB
Software Win 7 x64
The fan controller does not draw power from the motherboard, it uses only the sense wire for a RPM signal to supply all the fans on the hub with. As far as I am aware, without the SATA power lead connected, the hub will not function. As for which header to use, I would use the CPU FAN header, and connect everything to the hub, just be sure the BIOS has its setting for PWM for that hub. Easy Peasy!

Thanks for the quick reply! It turns out that I cant use the CPU_OPT as the BeQuiet CPU Fan Cooler fan will run at full speed. Then i'm stuck, as the fan controller will not accept the 4 Pin connection from the CPU cooler without buying another adapter to connect the CPU cooler to the controller. Why would they do this? Wouldn't they have realized that if your going to use the CPU_FAN header for the controller, where will the 4 pin CPU Cooler be plugged into when you only have 3 Pin connections on the controller? The controller should have at least one 4 pin connection for the CPU Cooler if the controller uses the CPU_FAN header. Am I going nuts or am I missing something?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Just plug it in, it will work. You don't need four wires when the hub is doing the voltage control.

Processor i7 2600
Cooling OEM Fan
Memory Corsair 32GB Ram
Display(s) Dell 2740L
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) MB
Software Win 7 x64
Just plug it in, it will work. You don't need four wires when the hub is doing the voltage control.

Thanks sneekypeet, I'm in process of building it today, so, please let me know if this would work:

1. Connect hub to CPU_FAN
2. Connect CPU Air Cooler to Hub; noting where it's keyed, so it'll connect the 4 pin female CPU cooler into the 3 pin male on the fan hub.
3. Apply Sata power connection (only do this when connecting via CPU_FAN PWM -- don't do this if you're using SYS_FAN[n] / CPT_OPT) from what I read. The Hub uses the PWM only from the MB, not the power.

My question is, is that correct and do you know if I should use FAN1 or any available fan port (4 are in use already with the pre-installed fans, including FAN1) I think I should use FAN1 since that is the fan that will be reported?

Thanks!!

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Fan1 for the CPU cooler so you can see rpm for it, sure.

Processor i7 2600
Cooling OEM Fan
Memory Corsair 32GB Ram
Display(s) Dell 2740L
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) MB
Software Win 7 x64
Fan1 for the CPU cooler so you can see rpm for it, sure.

Thanks sneekypeet. I used the CPU_OPT for the CPU Fan since the cable was not long enough to get around to the fan hub. I put the hub into the CPU_FAN and all is working well. I assume the Shadow Rock Slim is running at full speed, as the ambient is 22C and the CPU ~ is 23C, peaking at around 44C when installing Windows Updates so far, but I don't hear the fan at all...I'll leave it this way until I get an extension.

Of note, it's odd, HWinfo is reporting totally wrong voltages for everything (VCORE/3.3/12V,etc...) and no PWM fans even though it should report FAN1 (I think it's the phanteks exhaust fan on FAN1), but the BIOS temps look accurate. in terms of voltages.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!