• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maximus hero VII throttling to 800mhz, BD prochot sensor in the way.

System Name Yesterday
Processor Intel I-7 4790k
Motherboard Asus Rog
Cooling custom water
Memory Corsair vengeance DDR3 2133mhz 11.11.11.27 @ 1.5 volt
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/boobteg4642/
The asus maximus hero VII

I know this is a common problem amongst asus rog boards, but I was wondering if anybody figured out how stop it from throttling when you're BD PROCHOT is throttling down to 800 mhz for no reason. Linus from linus tech suggested using a program called throttle stop, and it works but is a nuisance and interferes with monitoring software. My temps are great, I've been trying to figure out this problem for a year and a half now and been through 2 RMA's.
These problems, along with the ethernet plug going out on the board makes me rethink before I buy another ASUS. The exact same problems happened with my friends Hero VII board again thanks to their lack of any support whatsoever. When they returned my board, the second PCI-e lane wouldn't recognise a GPU, and the RAM now only works in single channel. I should just throw it in the trash, but I thought I would ask one last time.. Thank you for any help whatsoever. Any help is appreciated. I'm willing to bet no one can find the answer. Thanks ROG, this motherboard still costs more than some DDR4 boards that don't break all the time.

System Name Burning a hole through my wallet
Processor 3700X
Motherboard Maximus 8 Hero
Cooling Custom loop (EK Extreme 360 Rad, Supremacy evo w/AM4 bracket)
Memory 2x16 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB @3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080s hybrid
Storage 960 Evo, 660p, P1, BX500, 2XWD Black, Ironwolf Proo
Display(s) Predator 27" 4k 144hz HDR
Case NZXT h700i
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Drop ALT W/holypanda switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64, Ubuntu 20.04, Manjaro (latest)
Gotta say I have never had a problem with Asus, but, I have had all sorts of issues with gaming boards from various companies, ASRock, MSI, and ROG itself. As a rule of thumb I never buy gaming boards, that said your best option is probably throttlestop.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
if you bothered to read the board/bios manual there is a couple settings to turn it off ...
you need to turn SVID control off and a raise a couple of the power limits in the bios
and I think there is one of the thermal sensor disable options you need to check as well unsure on z97

the Ethernet issues are probably power saving related turn all the 'green' stuff off in the bios

the maximus boards have a ton of options almost none of them are configured for out of the box use they are geared for extremists that know what they are doing

outside of needing to reflash the bios on my board every year or so I have had zero issues with mine

System Name Yesterday
Processor Intel I-7 4790k
Motherboard Asus Rog
Cooling custom water
Memory Corsair vengeance DDR3 2133mhz 11.11.11.27 @ 1.5 volt
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/boobteg4642/
Yes, my room mate and I both got ROG boards and both deeply regret it. Thanks OneMoar, I'm very familiar with the bios. And the common problems among these boards. I was just wondering if anyone had an answer other than throttlestop to actually fix it, but I don't think there is one. I'll replace this board soon anyways. 2nd PCI-e slot doesn't recognise a 2nd graphics card either. I've ran both cards in sli multiple times on my room mates board. Also, my RAM slots for some reason quit working in dual channel mode, and will only operate in single channel mode. I'm really glad I went with ROG on this build.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
re-seat the cpu and check socket for bent pins or over/undertight cooler

the cooler doesn't need to be dead nuts tight just snug if its flexing the board stop ...

would cause every single issue you have had