• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SteelSeries Arctis 5

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
The SteelSeries Arctis 5 is a great gaming headset, chock-full of useful features, and carefully tuned to sound as accurate as possible instead of just focusing on the bass. Thanks to that, it's great for playing games on a high level and just as good for listening to music, both at home and on the go.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Cool. My Siberia v2 are still working well so I'm not looking for new headset, but when the time comes I'd probably go with SteelSeries again. Perhaps even the Arctis 5 -- I like the control and mute on the earcup instead on the cable. Though, trading one in-line control for another (ChatMix) makes me a bit hesitant.

Just glanced at their website and see the Arctis 7 have the ChatMix dial on the other earcup! Wish the Arctis 5 did that.

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Cool. My Siberia v2 are still working well so I'm not looking for new headset, but when the time comes I'd probably go with SteelSeries again. Perhaps even the Arctis 5 -- I like the control and mute on the earcup instead on the cable. Though, trading one in-line control for another (ChatMix) makes me a bit hesitant.

Just glanced at their website and see the Arctis 7 have the ChatMix dial on the other earcup! Wish the Arctis 5 did that.

I bought the Arctis 7 about 8 weeks ago and I love it - most comfortable headset I have ever owned. I do agree that the 7.1 surround is rather poor but it is not really necessary anyway.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1

Good news, I have the Arctis 7 review in the works! Perhaps that way it will be easier for you to decide which way to go :toast:

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
Before settling for Hyper X core, i had tried steelseries arctis 5, it just doesn't have the deep base and clarity compared to Hyper X

Processor Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Rx 480 Gaming X
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
Display(s) ASUS MG279Q
Case Corsair 600Q
Power Supply Corsair RMi 1000
Mouse Logitech G403 Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 Home
Got to agree with the "surround sound", it's not good. Makes everything tinny on my Arctis 7. I also don't get the proprietary USB port (I mean really).

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
Got to agree with the "surround sound", it's not good. Makes everything tinny on my Arctis 7. I also don't get the proprietary USB port (I mean really).

From the review:

Close to the volume dial is where you'll find the USB and 3.5-mm analogue audio port. The USB port may strike you as unusual-looking and lead you to believe it's proprietary, but it actually isn't. What we're dealing with here is a less common 8-pin Mini-USB port. Why did SteelSeries go with that rather than using a standard and equally compact Micro-USB port? Most likely to get you to buy the replacement cable directly from them should you lose or break it. They're selling it as an accessory for $8.

:)

I first used 2x 2 months of Logitech G933 but it kept breaking up so went with Arctis 7(basically same as Arctis 5 but wireless). I was able to only use it for 2 weeks before I just got too annoyed at the bad sound quality and positioning(compared to Logitech DTS:X/Soundblaster SBX virtual emulation or actual 5.1 a/v receiver setup with real speakers). I tried surround sound tests and such and it was always hard to differentiate front center from a sound coming straight from behind. I also tried installing 3rd party EQ's, Razer Surround Pro and what not. Nothing made it sound impressive. It was decent but not impressive...

So went back to Logitech G933; headband started peeling off once again under one week but god how much better the sounds are in games, movies and tv-shows. DTS:X is awesome on Logitech but sucks on Arctis imo and I can once again hear if the enemy is straight ahead or straight behind. Review mentioned how DTS:X on Arctis should be ticked off as it's bad on Arctis but from multichannel audio tests I did; seems like you are only getting stereo headphones effect without DTS:X. It works for positional audio and such but made me want to go back g933 for real virtual 7.1 and I I'm happy I did.

I wish Arctis 5/7 had Logitech Pro-G 40mm elements and also better drivers(better EQ, easier to swap profiles from systray perhaps, more surround sound adjustments, removing that first screen when opening up steelseries engine where you pick the device etc..).

Using Logitech g933 now with DFX EQ.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You'd expect metal instead of plastic in this price bracket
The first negative point is spot on, even with high quality plastic, they all snap sooner than you'd wish at the spot where plastic is thinnest.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
I first used 2x 2 months of Logitech G933 but it kept breaking up so went with Arctis 7(basically same as Arctis 5 but wireless). I was able to only use it for 2 weeks before I just got too annoyed at the bad sound quality and positioning(compared to Logitech DTS:X/Soundblaster SBX virtual emulation or actual 5.1 a/v receiver setup with real speakers). I tried surround sound tests and such and it was always hard to differentiate front center from a sound coming straight from behind. I also tried installing 3rd party EQ's, Razer Surround Pro and what not. Nothing made it sound impressive. It was decent but not impressive...

So went back to Logitech G933; headband started peeling off once again under one week but god how much better the sounds are in games, movies and tv-shows. DTS:X is awesome on Logitech but sucks on Arctis imo and I can once again hear if the enemy is straight ahead or straight behind. Review mentioned how DTS:X on Arctis should be ticked off as it's bad on Arctis but from multichannel audio tests I did; seems like you are only getting stereo headphones effect without DTS:X. It works for positional audio and such but made me want to go back g933 for real virtual 7.1 and I I'm happy I did.

I wish Arctis 5/7 had Logitech Pro-G 40mm elements and also better drivers(better EQ, easier to swap profiles from systray perhaps, more surround sound adjustments, removing that first screen when opening up steelseries engine where you pick the device etc..).

Using Logitech g933 now with DFX EQ.

Thing is, what you're trying to achieve is in many ways tricky. We're talking about getting a sound of 7 speakers and a separate subwoofer by using only two physical speakers. I'd argue that there's no "real virtual 7.1 surround", as "real" and "virtual" exclude each other. With that in mind, you're actually picking between different interpretations of the same (flawed) basic approach. I have yet to hear a stereo headset that manages to sound even half-decent in virtual 7.1 mode. I didn't like it on the G933 either, to be honest, although my time with that headset has been fairly limited.

All in all, as stated in the review, the Arctis 5 should be used in stereo mode only. I wouldn't even think about it as a 7.1 surround sound capable headset.

Surround sound, hm.. you mean HRTF? Cause that actually works (given you get some decent cans).

Unless Sennheiser (or AKG or Beyer) starts making real surround headphones, I doubt we will ever get ones. Regular "gaming" companies lack know how for creating such thing. They try again and again and fail.

My historic piece of HD555 (Sennheiser) with a bit of modding has better 3D sound than any "would like to be surround headphone". Just requires decent software or good soundcard (or both). Happens that I have both..

Thing is, what you're trying to achieve is in many ways tricky. We're talking about getting a sound of 7 speakers and a separate subwoofer by using only two physical speakers. I'd argue that there's no "real virtual 7.1 surround", as "real" and "virtual" exclude each other. With that in mind, you're actually picking between different interpretations of the same (flawed) basic approach. I have yet to hear a stereo headset that manages to sound even half-decent in virtual 7.1 mode. I didn't like it on the G933 either, to be honest, although my time with that headset has been fairly limited.

All in all, as stated in the review, the Arctis 5 should be used in stereo mode only. I wouldn't even think about it as a 7.1 surround sound capable headset.

First off, this is aimed more in general than at this article:

Everyone's ears are different. Often people disregard this. I truly believe that there is a split between those who HRTF works for and those HRTF does not. As such, if you know that virtual surround sounds doesn't work for you then writing statements such as 'Always turn this function off' and 'it ruins the sound' are frankly less than helpful to those of us who HRTF works and is useful.

I've been using a Corsair Vengeance 1500 for about seven years now and have been eager to refresh. I listened to all the 'a decent headphone will be much better' comments and took their advice. I've tried numerous high quality cans and frankly wasted hundreds of pounds. Bought amps, DACs, sound cards the lot and at the end of the day I'm still using the 1500s. Dolby Headphone just clicks with me and gives me next level positional awareness.

My point is: Virtual surround works for some and not others and rather than dismissing it we should be advising the reader to try it for themselves.