• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooler Master MasterKeys L PBT

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Cooler Master has listened to consumer feedback, and with their MasterKeys PBT series, they have thick PBT plastic keycaps out of the box on all the switches. The keyboard also includes onboard support for multiple OS and typing layouts, macro recording, and an option for the rare Cherry MX Green switches; all for less than $100.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, they couldnt go whole way and do double-shot PBT, could they? :D

Still its really nice effort, I give em that.

Last edited:
Processor 13700KF - 5.7GHZ
Motherboard Z690 UNIFY-X
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 (NF-A12x25)
Memory 2x16 G.SKILL M-DIE (7200-34-44-44-28)
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 7900XT
Storage 1TB KINGSTON KC3000
Display(s) FI32Q
Case LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC EVO
Audio Device(s) HD599
Power Supply RMX1000
Mouse PULSAR XLITE V2 MINI (RETRO)
Keyboard KEYCHRON V3 (DUROCK T1 + MT3 GODSPEED R2)
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Superposition 4k optimized - 20652
Gosh, they couldnt go whole way and do double-shot PBT, could they? :D

Still its really nice effort, I give em that.

Or dye-sub. At least the price is low.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Or dye-sub. At least the price is low.

The keycap material has to be a lighter color than the legends for this, so it would not be the usual Cooler Master dark color scheme. Dye sublimation is also harder to get spot on, especially when we are dealing with the large numbers that Cooler Master sells.

Very nice keyboard.
Can anyone tell me why can't we get quality wireless mechanical keyboards? What's the matter? :)

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Very nice keyboard.
Can anyone tell me why can't we get quality wireless mechanical keyboards? What's the matter? :)

There are some available from Asia, the issue is battery life and latency but we will see some from more established brands this year I think. If you can't wait, one of the better options I hear is the Anne Pro- I have been trying to get a sample but no luck so far!

There are some available from Asia, the issue is battery life and latency but we will see some from more established brands this year I think. If you can't wait, one of the better options I hear is the Anne Pro- I have been trying to get a sample but no luck so far!
I surely can wait - especially since I prefer silent low-travel keyboards anyways.
But the existence of wireless mechanical models would at least let me consider them. :)

As for the issues you've mentioned - it's all about trying to be attractive for gamers.
Remove all the epilepsy-causing LEDs and it'll sip just as little power as any other wireless keyboard (we're talking months of frequent use... my Logitech K520 at work easily beats 2000h).

Very nice keyboard.

Now and then they are on Massdrop I think. At least I saw few there.. not sure about quality tho.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I surely can wait - especially since I prefer silent low-travel keyboards anyways.
But the existence of wireless mechanical models would at least let me consider them. :)

As for the issues you've mentioned - it's all about trying to be attractive for gamers.
Remove all the epilepsy-causing LEDs and it'll sip just as little power as any other wireless keyboard (we're talking months of frequent use... my Logitech K520 at work easily beats 2000h).

Yeah, backlighting is a killer. The Anne Pro for example has a battery life in hours with RGB backlighting vs weeks without backlighting. The ones I referred to will have single color backlighting so it should be in the middle, and thankfully always with the option to turn off.

System Name Luna Rossa
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2×16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung SSD 990 Pro 4TB + Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U (32" 4K)
Case Sliger S620 (White)
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800BT
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Pulsar Xlite V2 Wireless
Keyboard Gok 7V (White) + Gateron X + GMK MoDo Light
Software Windows 11 Pro
Very nice keyboard.
There are at least a few models that I'm aware of:

- HHKB Pro 2 Bluetooth (60% - Custom Layout, no LEDs, Bluetooth only)
- Anne Pro (60%, RGB, Bluetooth)
- Filco Minila (60% - Custom Layout, no LEDs, Bluetooth only)
- Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL (TKL, no LEDs, Dual mode USB/Bluetooth)
- Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 (Full size, no LEDs, Dual mode USB/Bluetooth)
- Varmilo VB87M (TKL, single color LEDs, Bluetooth only)
- [Coming soon] Varmilo V?68 (68%, LEDs, Dual mode USB/Bluetooth)
- [Coming soon] Varmilo VD87 (TKL, LEDs, Dual mode USB/Bluetooth)
- [Coming soon] Varmilo VD104 (TKL, LEDs, Dual mode USB/Bluetooth)

I have those marked in bold. They are both great keyboards.
Battery life on the Filco is 2-3 months. It uses 2 AA batteries.
The Varmilo with lights always on lasts almost a week. With lights on just ocasionally it increases to a week and a half. Without lights it's about 2 or 2 and a half weeks. IIRC it uses an internal 1250mAh battery. If you are good with soldering you might be able to replace it, as it's just a smartphone battery with two wires.

Last edited:
System Name Luna Rossa
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2×16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung SSD 990 Pro 4TB + Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U (32" 4K)
Case Sliger S620 (White)
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800BT
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Pulsar Xlite V2 Wireless
Keyboard Gok 7V (White) + Gateron X + GMK MoDo Light
Software Windows 11 Pro
The keycap material has to be a lighter color than the legends for this, so it would not be the usual Cooler Master dark color scheme. Dye sublimation is also harder to get spot on, especially when we are dealing with the large numbers that Cooler Master sells.
They could have used a black on black scheme, like the EnjoyPBT PBT dyesub set:

Reactions: VSG
System Name Main Workstation
Processor Ryzen 1700 @ 3800 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1800 Classified
Storage Crucial MX200 500 GB
Case BC1 Open Benchtable Silver
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD 650 /w Apogee Groove and Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860W
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Leopold FC980C White /w Hasu controller
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Black on black has always struck me as an odd combination. Only touch typist would in my opinion seriously consider such a set, which might even make blank keycaps preferable.

Given CM's real choices are in my opinion laser etched or doubleshot keycaps, I can sympathize. Doubleshot keycaps are more difficult to get right, and PBT shrinkage is nearly thrice that of ABS. Tooling for such keycaps would also be completely different and relatively expensive to implement, which would make these PBT keyboards a lot more expensive as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: VSG