• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No End to GPU Supply Woes: Germany Supplier Hit by Shortage, Pulls Cards

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
There seems to be no end in sight for current high-performance, discrete graphics cards' supply constraints. If you've been looking for a specialized graphics processing unit to push eye-candy on your favored 3D experiences to the max, you've probably been having trouble for a while now. It all stems from a crazy, dizzying wave of cryptocurrency mining. And the fact that this mining spree has already taken global mining power consumption to levels close to a 17 million population country, as one of our editors puts it, kind of has a human problem. And it would seem that not even NVIDIA and AMD's partners' attempts to sate current miners' appetite for profit-generating graphics cards has put a dent on demand.

Now, one of Germany's most relevant retailers, MindFactory, has sent out an email to Tom's Hardware responding to inquiries relating to an apparent lack of stock on high-performance GPUs. And get this: they're expecting new stock in "at least three months". That's how long the retailer is estimating meaningful supply might be available again: in three month's time. Specifically, MindFactory said that "In fact we ordered the GPU's but because of the high demand on the RX and GTX graphic cards which is related to BitCoin farming the manufacturer can not give us a delivery date. We expect a delivery time of at least 3 months. This shortage affects the whole of Germany, maybe even whole Europe. "

Well, this editor can attest that yes, Europe is definitely being affected. Even in my own country, tiny Portugal, westernmost country of the European Continent, there have been shortages on RX 570 and 580 graphics cards on some of the most renowned digital stores. This phenomenon has come to stay, folks. Just hold on to your horses, and do your best to endure it.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Crypto miners can get offended all they want, I'm also tired of their useless bullshit. The current situation is total garbage. You literally can't buy a graphic card of choice. It's all so overpriced, they have ridiculously long availability times or they simply aren't obtainable. Wanna buy RX480 or even RX570/RX580? GTX 1060 maybe? Tough luck.

I was looking at RX560 4GB like 3 weeks ago. 125€ Today? Exactly the same one 154€. F**k off. I ended up paying a bit more and grabbing cheapest GTX 1050Ti for the time being at 168€ because I opted for dual fan one with heatpipe cooler instead of singe fan one with block of aluminium as heatsink, until RX Vega gets released. I hear Vega is terrible at mining which is already great news.

@dumbo
He's not tired of reading about crypto miners, he's pissed off because they totally f**ked up the graphics cards market. And so am I.

Processor Intel core i7 6700k
Motherboard Asus Z170-AR
Cooling EK Water Blocks Predator 360
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3000
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire NITRO+ RX 580 8GB
Storage 3x Samsung EVO 500GB RAID 0, 4TB Western Digital Black, 128GB Crucial M4
Display(s) 2x Acer B276HK
Case Fractal Design Define S Window
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNOVA 80 plus platinum
Mouse Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Das Keyboard Model S - Cherry MX Blue
Crypto miners can get offended all they want, I'm also tired of their useless bullshit. The current situation is total garbage. You literally can't buy a graphic card of choice. It's all so overpriced, they have ridiculously long availability times or they simply aren't obtainable. Wanna buy RX480 or even RX570/RX580? GTX 1060 maybe? Tough luck.

I was looking at RX560 4GB like 3 weeks ago. 125€ Today? Exactly the same one 154€. F**k off. I ended up paying a bit more and grabbing cheapest GTX 1050Ti for the time being at 168€ because I opted for dual fan one with heatpipe cooler instead of singe fan one with block of aluminium as heatsink, until RX Vega gets released. I hear Vega is terrible at mining which is already great news.

@dumbo
He's not tired of reading about crypto miners, he's pissed off because they totally f**ked up the graphics cards market. And so am I.

I agree that the demand has inflated the market to unfair prices, but part of the blame should be placed on manufacturers. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to keep up with the demands placed on them. At launch they're able to release thousands upon thousands of cards, yet a week to a month later every single store is sold out and none of them have an expected restock date. It seems like manufacturers are intentionally decreasing production upon release.

TBH, the more I read about the GPU shortage problem, the more it looks like an artificial way to inflate prices ...

/edit: ^heh, too slow :)

additionally: "Seems like they get sold out before they get to the Importer."

to make a picture of HOW bad it is look at this price-comparison-site
https://geizhals.eu/?cat=gra16_512&...9808&fcols=132&sort=p&xf=132_6144#productlist

Of course, it's quick bucks for sellers to sell batch of 30 graphic cards to one person instead of selling them one by one to 30 people. But crypto mining is nightmare for vendors. They don't bring brand loyalty or gaming ecosystem, they just ride the wave for as long as it lasts and then they flood the market of used cards, disrupting future sales of new cards and not contributing to business via loyalty. We know how gamers are attached to certain brands. Miners don't care for as long as everything is the cheapest with max output.

It's particularly bad for AMD. They desperately need market share and with mass sales of mining cards, they aren't gaining any and with no availability of their cards, it means most people will defect to NVIDIA. Guess what they'll continue buying in the future. It'll probably be NVIDIA by default after that. It's a short term financial injection for AMD which will hurt them a lot long term...

There is a simple solution to your problem. Just don't read it. Nobody is forcing you read about mining. If you don't like it ignore it. The world does not cater to one person. There are many more who find it interesting, but thank you for sharing your thoughts on why you believe journalists should stop reporting on something.

Sincerely,
Some dickhead that's not offended about you talking about mining, but by your ignorance.
It's just that you're kind of reminded by it when you want to... say... buy a graphics card.

And there's no point in denying you were at least a little offended. If you took objection at ignorance in general on the internet you'd basically have to spend 100% of your time "flagging" it to the ignorant party :).

Thalles Adorno

Brazil is also affected, a RX 580 costs the same as a 1080ti here. NVidia prices are unaffected

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Well at least it makes me feel a bit better again somehow that I bought my MSI GTX1070 Gaming X at day 1 for 519 Euros, they are currently going for 600 and up in my country! :D:p

Brand loyalty is just another flawed human condition. I buy the thing I want at the cheapest price I can find it at an example would be my 1070.

I love how people are mad on the internet.

@dumbo
I heartily agree with all of this.

One thing I'd like to add though: I am sick to death of people saying 'oh just sign up for notifications'. As if email speed is 100% reliable and the miners don't already have notifications set for everything.

Brand loyalty is just another flawed human condition. I buy the thing I want at the cheapest price I can find it at an example would be my 1070.

I love how people are mad on the internet.

Brand loyalty is a thing whether you like it or not. Once you know some design and features work for you and you can't live without, that is brand loyalty. Be it vendor like ASUS or MSI or lower on AMD and NVIDIA level. AMD has some really neat features like way cooler interface, integrated overclocking, power saving features like Chill and frame rate target without the need to use 3rd party tools which are often all glitchy. And NVIDIA on the other hand has an upper hand with two superior V-Sync modes (Fast and Adaptive) which AMD doesn't have. If you favor one over the other, that's brand loyalty, because it'll ensure you stay with one brand because you like those features.

I love the whole blockchain concept. I hate the mining craze, though! I also hate the huge waste of energy in the mining process, or to be precise, the conversion of CO fuels into heat.

I was genuinely in need for a good 580-like GPU and had to wait for 2.5 months for it. At least I got it for 300 EUR back then. Now you can't even find one. Lol!

Imagine when this is all over! Tons of 580s, dime a dozen! I bet you'll wish you bought these multi-PCIe mobos!

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I hear Vega is terrible at mining which is already great news.
The only way Vegas get consumed by the mining craze is if supply is so constrained on all the cards below it that the higher output of Vega justifies the higher cost (and because those cards have got so expensive). We can reasonably use GTX 1080 Ti as a gauge for that right now. Since miners aren't gobbling up all the GTX 1080 Tis right now, it's a pretty safe bet that Vega isn't attractive either. The moment 1080 Ti prices start climbing, they'll be buying (or already bought) Vega too.

I agree that the demand has inflated the market to unfair prices, but part of the blame should be placed on manufacturers. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to keep up with the demands placed on them. At launch they're able to release thousands upon thousands of cards, yet a week to a month later every single store is sold out and none of them have an expected restock date. It seems like manufacturers are intentionally decreasing production upon release.
Actually, the manufacturers are in a lose-lose situation. They're all assuming the crash is going to happen again and they don't want anymore second hand cards and excessive inventory than necessary. They're hesitant to place massive orders to fix the shortage.

They hate the fact that gamers can't get cards but with miners buying them all up, the GPU market has become as volatile as cryptocurrency has. Minimal inventory is safer for them.

There's a big push to get mining cards out to the market. I think the main purpose for this is because then they have more control over RMAs (when it crashes, they can say "LOL, NOPE").

TBH, the more I read about the GPU shortage problem, the more it looks like an artificial way to inflate prices ...

/edit: ^heh, too slow :)
The inflated prices aren't MSRP. They're other people/businesses/retailers in the market selling cards at non-MSRP capitalizing on the limited supply.

It's particularly bad for AMD. They desperately need market share and with mass sales of mining cards, they aren't gaining any and with no availability of their cards, it means most people will defect to NVIDIA. Guess what they'll continue buying in the future. It'll probably be NVIDIA by default after that. It's a short term financial injection for AMD which will hurt them a lot long term...
This is about the only situation I would even consider an NVIDIA card because price/performance, GTX 1050 Ti is really the only option. That said, my loyalties aren't changing. I still firmly believe NVIDIA is a terrible company. :p

Last edited:

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
Stop crapping this thread!!! If you have no interest in it, why post? Last warning before I start issuing tickets;)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I love the whole blockchain concept. I hate the mining craze, though! I also hate the huge waste of energy in the mining process, or to be precise, the conversion of CO fuels into heat.

I was genuinely in need for a good 580-like GPU and had to wait for 2.5 months for it. At least I got it for 300 EUR back then. Now you can't even find one. Lol!

Imagine when this is all over! Tons of 580s, dime a dozen! I bet you'll wish you bought these multi-PCIe mobos!

This is where I stand.

@FordGT90Concept
I wouldn't say NVIDIA is a terrible company. Their practices are shit and they've had the upper hand for too long which makes them bad. But you can't deny their technological superiority at the moment. The gap started with Maxwell 2 and was just reinforced with Pascal.

I was thinking about grabbing RX560 4GB, but then decided for GTX 1050Ti. At least it was obtainable in 1 day (others were for 15 days!) and for extra 10€ it has dual fan proper cooler with heatpipe instead of just a large chunk of aluminium heatsink. RX570 and RX580 were totally out of the question even though I'd prefer that. RX580's sell for even up to 450€. That's just crazy.

Thanks to mining, we are stuck in months of worst time to buy a graphic card because of heavily inflated prices and no availability. Just in time when I decide to buy one as replacement... Just pissed 30€ because I haven't grabbed one just few weeks ago.

ppn

Cryptographers didn't do wrong by depleting legacy cards supply. We don't need that overpriced year old garbage anyways. Now we can have pascal refresh or volta whatever it may be much much sooner. An build on 12nm with 40% more CUDA cores compared to their previous gen counterparts, So it is win win for gamers that can also mine these 2-4 months and get second card of their choice for free.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
There are a few still available in the UK, 580's or GTX1060's at reasonable prices, yes many that are still available are over inflated but if you know where to look there are still some to be found. Was thinking of jumping on the bandwagon and selling my 290X but in order to get a decent performance improvement to make it worthwhile I would need to go 1070 and in most cases they are crazy prices at the moment.

Honestly if RGT add to the margins they will sell Vega for to AIB's I say do it... It sucks for gamers but AMD/RTG should try to have a hand to re-coupe at least while miners want to buy! As so as it goes "bust" do a price-cut and get to gamers for less than what they first intended on the market.

Sorry if someone is willing to pay a premium price, RTG should be able to get back there engineering investment.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Honestly if RGT add to the margins they will sell Vega for to AIB's I say do it... It sucks for gamers but AMD/RTG should try to have a hand to re-coupe at least while miners want to buy! As so as it goes "bust" do a price-cut and get to gamers for less than what they first intended on the market.

Sorry if someone is willing to pay a premium price, RTG should be able to get back there engineering investment.
Except that if AMD starts trying to raise margins for their cards in accordance with a temporary price hike, AIBs will simply stop making AMD cards and go to nvidia. Its happened before over pettier reasons. Raising margins is unheard of in the chip industry for good reason. AMD would be insane to try and raise prices of year and a half old parts when they still have not delivered on their high end GPU.

AMD especially needs gamers to buy their products for long term health. Miners bought up tons of 7000/200 series cards for mining, remember? Remember what happened net? AMD hitting 17% shipping marketshare and loosing huge chunks of the market to nvidia's cards, even when the AMD parts were considered better. This kind of craze does long term damage to AMD.

What AMD needs to do is create a mining only card, which they are already doing, and perhaps make a card that, either through hardware or drivers, sucks at mining to dissuade miners from buying them. VEGA supposedly is like this, very poor at mining and expensive to boot. Or perhaps develop the ASIC that would be used for mining, thus preventing the scalping of their GPUs.

Last edited:
Crippling through software might work but I think via a hardware solution would be the only permanent solution.

Watching the miners rant, even if only for a day, because of driver crippling would bring a grin to my face though.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Look through the listings on fleabay - You'll see there isn't many if any up for grabs and the ones you do see are from sellers with next to if not 0 feedback.
These new sellers with weirdly spelled names are scammers - These guys will take a broken card and try to sell it as a working unit, using the fleabay/PayPal system to get away with it too because the info as to where they are and where it's coming from as examples are faked.

Know a guy personally that had an RX460 for sale and had a ton of "Buyers" make bids and offers on his card BUT all of these buyers were as described above so he pulled the listing to keep from getting ripped off.

You can use/manipulate the system fleabay uses to rip sellers off with no recourse to the seller if you know how..... And even as a buyer you can be ripped too, have a nephew this happened to not long ago.

There is $$ in the mining of AND selling of the equip to do it with since the cards are certainly meant for more than just mining or there woudn't be supply issues for guys that are gamers for example. In fact I highly suspect there is a certain "Enterprise" behind much of this of a criminal nature. It's already been proven criminal organizations use crypo currency because there is no easy way to track where the money goes or what it's used for.
This for example can make money laundering EZPZ to do if they wanted to - And BTW they already have before.

With the recent ransomware attacks, the supply of certain GPU's drying up, what I've noted about fleabay in general with these GPUs just adds up to all this in my mind and it's all too coincidental to be much anything else.

OK - I'm done now guys.... :fear:

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I love all of the angry gamers who continue to cry about not having their GPUs. Instead of crying about lack of something, why not join in the fun and learn on why their is a shortage and maybe profit from it.

There are ways to get a hold of certion cards at a small profit mark-up, buy the cards, and then resell them for profit for use them what ever way you want. I'm not complaining, I got my 100+ gpus before the the shortage happened and now will unload most of it for a nice profit.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Because the mid range cards are all being eaten up. Anything above a 460/560 for AMD are being eaten up and 1060's/1070's no longer seem to exist. This makes up a vast majority of GPU buyers/users. Sure, maybe they can "join in the fun and profit from it", but with no cards, how? Your recommendation is to use hardware like a commodity? Sorry, but there's way better choices for that.

Demand has overrun supply, it happens. Prices go up until things balance out. GPU makers are happy, they're selling faster than they can make them.