• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubuntu Root Lockout and local file sharing

ld3

I am new to Ubuntu and to Linux.

I was attempting to figure out a way to grant access to files to my whole family (photos go into everyone's photo folder, etc. in unity). After working on this problem for hours, and not finding the right answers, I decided to open up my original user account to everyone. I renamed it.

Big mistake.

Now Ubuntu is not accepting my password. All processes and apps are running under my old user name, which no longer appears under User Accounts, naturally.

How do I fix this?

Can you still use the root account (ie. do you know the root password) ? you will have to regain access to your former user account first, root would help you redefine a password .

There's a procedure to rename an account and transfer the property of the home folder from the former user to the new user. Luckily, what you did can be reversed.

If you can't use the local root account, you will have to work from a live distro.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
This might help. A bit different situation, but a solution should work in your case too:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/558669/renaming-user-name

You can change your password by typing the following, as root:
Code:
passwd USERNAME
With root privileges the old password is not required, I believe. Just type in and confirm the new password and you are done.

For the future: If you need to share files with windows PCs on the network, the best way around is set up SMB shared directory. There are many tutorials on this topic.
If it's just multimedia (videos, music, images), then you may also try DLNA server. I haven't done this in awhile (probably since I got rid of my PS3 and XB360 back in 2010), but I guess today miniDLNA is quite popular.
http://minidlna.sourceforge.net/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MiniDLNA

System Name Burning a hole through my wallet
Processor 3700X
Motherboard Maximus 8 Hero
Cooling Custom loop (EK Extreme 360 Rad, Supremacy evo w/AM4 bracket)
Memory 2x16 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB @3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080s hybrid
Storage 960 Evo, 660p, P1, BX500, 2XWD Black, Ironwolf Proo
Display(s) Predator 27" 4k 144hz HDR
Case NZXT h700i
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Drop ALT W/holypanda switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64, Ubuntu 20.04, Manjaro (latest)
If you need boot into single user mode by bringing up grub, hitting e to make a temporary boot option, add single before quiet (should be the last thing at the bottom of your boot option) thst will give you a root shell, go in and edit the passwd file in /etc so your username is associated with your user and group and off to the races!