• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EKWB heatsink for M.2 SSDs.

System Name MacBook Pro 16"
Processor M1 Pro
Memory 16GB unified memory
Storage 1 TB
Yes sir - I can view the drives temp from onboard the drive itself. Measuring minimum and maximum temps before and after. I also have a thermal imaging camera so I can actually see what is going on.
Omg I am so humbled. Good for you

System Name Project Evolv mATX V2
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.SKILL 3200 C14 / 1T running at 3400
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6800XT Nitro
Storage Samsung 980 pro NVMe 2TB
Display(s) Dual Samsung 27" G50A's
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX in Silver
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Software Win 11
Good lord man... You claim they do not work and not to buy, someone presents data showing a 10c difference. Yet you claim a finger test as valid... Then when I mention I will perform test, you post an almost illegible post "Good luck with that, you know you have temp reading from the actual drives right? LoL" ... So I politely let you know that would be no problem. Most anyone can get the temp reading off the drive, not rocket science. Now, since you are failing even harder... you come back with that smart @ss comment? Seriously, be better than this.

Anyways - will test as planned as I am more curious than anything. The data in that video is better than I would have hoped. 10c is great and will likely keep the drive from ever coming close to thermal throttling in most any situation. That, and they look sexy AF :) With good airflow in the case - I hope to see better than 10c. Will know more later on.

Processor M1 Pro
Storage 1 TB
Good lord man... You claim they do not work and not to buy, someone presents data showing a 10c difference. Yet you claim a finger test as valid... Then when I mention I will perform test, you post an almost illegible post "Good luck with that, you know you have temp reading from the actual drives right? LoL" ... So I politely let you know that would be no problem. Most anyone can get the temp reading off the drive, not rocket science. Now, since you are failing even harder... you come back with that smart @ss comment? Seriously, be better than this.

Anyways - will test as planned as I am more curious than anything. The data in that video is better than I would have hoped. 10c is great and will likely keep the drive from ever coming close to thermal throttling in most any situation. That, and they look sexy AF :) With good airflow in the case - I hope to see better than 10c. Will know more later on.
What video and what evidence are you talking about? Measuring temps on heat sink surface isn't going to serve a purpose. What is important is the change from temperature reading from the ssd controller. You go ahead measure temp on the heat sink but I don't see what are you going to do with those results.

Processor 5800X3D
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Software Win 11
Monitored at the controller in the video below - shows around 10-12c under load which is significant. Again, very easy to monitors the temps on the SSD itself... which I mentioned... as I said, I will test temps from onboard the drive itself. Thermal imaging is nice as it will show any hotspots or how well the heatsink is acting as a spreader.

Processor 5800X3D
Software Win 11
Got the heatsinks in (ordered two in case I ever add a standard m.2 ssd to the PC)

Initial impressions:

- Finish is very good - nice little kit
- I ran into a small installation issue. The bottom plate was about 1.5-2mm too long. What would happen is that if shifted just a bit to the connector side, it would hit the socket and would pull the drive out of the socket. A tiny but the other way to avoid hitting the socket, and the plate would come to rest on the standoff. The resolution for my board and setup was to grind about 2mm off the bottom plate which took just a second to do. May not be something someone else could easily do if they do not have a grinder handy.

It could be that there was a perfect sweet spot but it was very tight and I could not find it. Grinder worked great :D

Dimensions:
- 23 x 76mm
- Base plate is 2mm thick on the heatsink
- Fins are 2.95mm tall
- Total height 4.95mm
- Weight 18 grams / .60oz

Measurements were quick and simple just to see if the heatsink is effective in my system
- Ambient temp 27.7F
- Let the PC idle for 5 minutes and took idle measurement
- Copied and pasted 100GB from the drive to the drive (Flac files) so it was reading and writing

Without heatsink:
Idle - 35C
Load at the end of the 100GB transfer - 54C

With Heatsink:
Idle - 35C (not surprised as this was the internal system temp. Cannot cool below ambient in this situation)
Load at the end of the 100GB transfer - 45C

During this simple test, the heatsink works and works well. Was able to shed 9C off a common size file transfer (common for me). Besides the reduced thermals, it looks GREAT compared to the bare drive!

What comes in the box:

Installed:

Drive position, just under the water block / pump. Before:

After - looks really nice:

Random thermal image. Was not a lot to show - The heatsink was spreading the thermal load nicely. Heatsink itself did not get into the 40's , was shedding heat as it should:

And... Just for fun, this is what your radiator is really doing invisibly. Hot side in the right, coolant flows down and around, then back up. Cold side out on the left :D

Last edited:
Processor M1 Pro
Storage 1 TB
Personally I wouldn't go through doing all all these photos but good job anyway man. What FLIR camera is this? I took off the stickers on my 960 PRO and EVO, did you do the same? I also get about 48-47 degrees after burnin test with DISK-MARK but the issue I have is that my SSDs get to 59 degrees after playing games for about an hour. As the video card becomes really hot the SSDs get also hot because they are really close to the video card. I guess that the heatsinks are doing the opposite of what they are supposed to be doing because heat can be transferred from the heatsink to the SSD. It is a point I made earlier that for this to work there has to be minimal active cooling directly on the heatsinks.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
having the hot video card nearby is irrelevant, any head bleeding into the SSD happened regardless of the heatsink.

These heatsinks delay the heatup process - like all passive cooling under constant load they will eventually reach a thermal limit and stay hot, but the whole idea is to make that take longer since M.2 SSD's are often used for burst transfers (a samsung 850? pro throttled in 7 seconds of sustained load iirc, if this delays that even a few seconds its worth it)

You seem like you made your decision and really, desperately want to be right - but as long as a TIM was used (thermal pads i assume on these) there simply cannot be a negative, increasing the surface area *will* delay the heatup of the drives.

Processor M1 Pro
Storage 1 TB
having the hot video card nearby is irrelevant, any head bleeding into the SSD happened regardless of the heatsink.

These heatsinks delay the heatup process - like all passive cooling under constant load they will eventually reach a thermal limit and stay hot, but the whole idea is to make that take longer since M.2 SSD's are often used for burst transfers (a samsung 850? pro throttled in 7 seconds of sustained load iirc, if this delays that even a few seconds its worth it)

You seem like you made your decision and really, desperately want to be right - but as long as a TIM was used (thermal pads i assume on these) there simply cannot be a negative, increasing the surface area *will* delay the heatup of the drives.
Just 7 seconds they throttle? How can having the video card nearby is not relevant. It is very very relevant. That thing heats up everything around it. Just having to explain this to you is absurd. During video card workloads those heat sinks heat up like a motherf***er and transfer heat into the SSD, they are doing the opposite of what they are supposed to do. And to put the cherry on top of the cake for you, it take maybe 10-15 minutes more for the SSD to cool
down because it has a freaking heat sink on it. If you give me a good case I will be glad to agree with you but just saying that something is irrelevant doesn't make it so. You have to prove it.

Last edited by a moderator: