• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Reports Second Quarter 2017 Financial Results

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
It's fair to say, most here don't understand business.. AMD is on a good road right now!

It's ironic right? From CNBC:

• Wall Street is surprised over AMD's strong earnings and guidance due to digital currency mining demand for its graphics cards.
  • AMD shares have rallied 102 percent through Tuesday in the previous 12 months compared with the S&P 500's 14 percent return.
  • That performance ranks No. 4 in the entire S&P 500, according to FactSet.

The most hilarious quote is from the register:

AMD shocks the world by only losing $16m
rofl

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/25/amd_q2_fy2017/

Some people wondering about why they are in the red: If you want marketshare as a underdog you will have to invest. Right now AMD is producing more CPU that they have done in a decade and pushing on all cpu markets. Do you think that stuff comes cheap? A company will push their economy to the max for marketshare and SHOULD go to 0 or minus (if not they have not invested enough. Reestablishing infrastructure and reputation at sellers is not free! :)

Ryzen CPUs are priced terribly. Mostly because they suck at gaming workloads (muh 8-core CPUs for gaming), but also because some of the CPUs aren't priced apart well, like the 6 and 4 core ones. I mean they're selling their 4C/8T CPU for less than the 6600k. How do you expect them to make money? That company is run by people who only care about survival so that they can keep filling their deep pockets and outsourcing jobs, while the company crumbles on itself. Their thread Ripper line up won't make 'em any decent profits.

To make things worse, Vega is a failure and Volta is around the corner. If I were a stock holder, I'd want them to sell their divisions to Intel, Nvidia, or Qualcomm, and call it a good run.

Ryzen CPUs are priced terribly. Mostly because they suck at gaming workloads (muh 8-core CPUs for gaming), but also because some of the CPUs aren't priced apart well, like the 6 and 4 core ones. I mean they're selling their 4C/8T CPU for less than the 6600k. How do you expect them to make money? That company is run by people who only care about survival so that they can keep filling their deep pockets and outsourcing jobs, while the company crumbles on itself.

This is a common misconception. The CCX design and GF's cheap 14nm process make Ryzen chips cheaper to manufacture than their Intel counterparts.

Look it up - Ryzen die size is smaller, and GF's node is cheaper. AMD is getting 80%+ yields while Intel is getting 70% yields at best, and AMD's cpu is easier to make.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
The growth over the last year and a half is an amazing story. Going from a 1.5 bil dollar market cap to a 14 bil dollar market cap in less than 2 years time. Wow.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Ryzen CPUs are priced terribly. Mostly because they suck at gaming workloads (muh 8-core CPUs for gaming), but also because some of the CPUs aren't priced apart well, like the 6 and 4 core ones. I mean they're selling their 4C/8T CPU for less than the 6600k. How do you expect them to make money? That company is run by people who only care about survival so that they can keep filling their deep pockets and outsourcing jobs, while the company crumbles on itself. Their thread Ripper line up won't make 'em any decent profits.

To make things worse, Vega is a failure and Volta is around the corner. If I were a stock holder, I'd want them to sell their divisions to Intel, Nvidia, or Qualcomm, and call it a good run.
Is being a whole 2-3% slower "suck" now? Please show me a gaming workload that a 1700 cannot handle well. I'll wait.

This whole comment, from the misconception of performance, the misconception of costs, that weird rambling bit about outsourcing jobs, all reads like some sort of intel shillboy/fanboy dribble.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Even with Ryzen out and selling they're losing money. I don't see how they can survive in the long term. They should sell their graphics division to Intel and their CPU division to Nvidia and call it a day already.

Operationally they are making money.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Is being a whole 2-3% slower "suck" now? Please show me a gaming workload that a 1700 cannot handle well. I'll wait.

This whole comment, from the misconception of performance, the misconception of costs, that weird rambling bit about outsourcing jobs, all reads like some sort of intel shillboy/fanboy dribble.

The rise of low post count posters worrying for AMD's behalf is an interesting coincidence.

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
The rise of low post count posters worrying for AMD's behalf is an interesting coincidence.
I think we could also say the same about the reverse, with low post count people popping out of the woodwork claiming AMD's doom will happen tomorrow because Ryzen is s**t

It's fair to say, most here don't understand business.. AMD is on a good road right now!
Because? :)
Most of these comments are laughable and show a sad understanding of how to read a companies financials. Basic understanding of economics and how the financial markets work would really help people understand that these are phenomenal numbers coming from AMD and show a clear path toward long term growth and profitability.
Can you point out the phenomenal part?
I'm not saying the results are bad, but they're far from great either. The situation improved, as everyone expected. But it's not a huge jump and - since we can't easily separate CPU and GPU impact, this could all be a result of mining boom.
But by all means, listen to Goldman-Sachs if you would prefer...their last few analysts predictions have helped them increase their holdings in AMD for cheap.
GS does not own a significant (>1%) share in AMD (I'd say: no share at all).
I think we could also say the same about the reverse, with low post count people popping out of the woodwork claiming AMD's doom will happen tomorrow because Ryzen is s**t
I think the problem here is that people confuse 2 fundamental things: Ryzen being a good CPU and a good product.
This is not a place for discussing whether Ryzen is a good CPU for the user. But is it a good product for AMD? Especially at the price point they're currently forced to sell it? 1800X price is down $80 since launch, 1700 is -$60.

This is not a place for discussing whether Ryzen is a good CPU for the user. But is it a good product for AMD? Especially at the price point they're currently forced to sell it? 1800X price is down $80 since launch, 1700 is -$60.

And what conclusions you make out of these pricing considerations?
upload_2017-7-27_11-57-41.png

It's in italian but the numbers still show 215% over a year because ryzen is not a good product for AMD

EDIT: for my part, I'm a low post user because I set myself a goal to build an all red pc for the first time in years since my last build (Athlon XP).
I went on with laptops for more than a decade and I'm now resurfacing on the gaming side of life.
Hopefully RX Vega will be better than it seems it is right now.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Even with Ryzen out and selling they're losing money. I don't see how they can survive in the long term. They should sell their graphics division to Intel and their CPU division to Nvidia and call it a day already.
So much here....

AMD hemmhoraged money for so long and owed so much money that even while selling well it will take a long while to climb completely out of the red. It's a long slow process in business. Their prospects on the financials look fairly positive.

As to selling off to Intel and Nvidia, they would not be allowed to do that. They are a U.S. company and regulations preventing monopolies would kick in. Until a valid 3rd competitor to CPU's and GPU's comes along, AMD will never be allowed to fail.

It's in italian but the numbers still show 215% over a year because ryzen is not a good product for AMD
215% built on a product hype.
AMD stock was going up for a long time and maxed at $15.2 in the last week before Ryzen launch.
The actual launch stopped the positive trend. It hasn't reached the $15.2 level since.
BTW: after a short optimistic jump, the stock is back to the price from before the Ryzen 3 announcement.
AMD hemmhoraged money for so long and owed so much money that even while selling well it will take a long while to climb completely out of the red. It's a long slow process in business. Their prospects on the financials look fairly positive.
Have you even read this before posting? :)
Their "prospects on the financials" is rubbish for exactly the reason you've mentioned. They've spent a lot on developing Ryzen. This could have been a huge revolution, but it turned out to be just another CPU - just cheaper than Intel's. This huge investment may not pay off.
As to selling off to Intel and Nvidia, they would not be allowed to do that. They are a U.S. company and regulations preventing monopolies would kick in. Until a valid 3rd competitor to CPU's and GPU's comes along, AMD will never be allowed to fail.
I don't think any American company would be interested in buying AMD. But there are quite a few Asian ones that could use the patents and the brand (and they can easily afford it).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Again, Ryzen is <6 months in the market, and they have no chip with an IGP or a mobile chip yet. It's way to soon to call it in for AMD.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Again, Ryzen is <6 months in the market, and they have no chip with an IGP or a mobile chip yet. It's way to soon to call it in for AMD.
Actually, APU's announced today. :)

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX

So thats why they are selling like hot cake? ;)

I know the whole 'more cores' can be hard to grasp but with the comming 1-2 year you will see a shift for multicore utilization pushed by ryzenplatform on consoles, dx12 vulkan. Comparing the purcase of a new ryzen CPU to the used price is not and argument as it can be used against ANY new CPU. (my 4770K for instance decimates 7700K in cost/performance if we take mine used and 7700K as a new CPU. And trust me; the stock did not go up 639% for fun last year. It is possible that you and your friends dont attribute any progress to what is happening with AMD, but they are strong-arming intel to complete and utter panic (partly intel own fault) right now AMD can spit out CPUs cheaper than intel can. And everything in intel lineup have undergone pricedrops. 7700K cost 66% lower compare to before ryzen (eventhough 4770,4790,6700 did not move on inch during their complete cycle.) Do you think intel have decided to drop prices because they just love their customers? :D You gotta read up on alot of stuff if you dont wanna get battered on the forum :)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
So thats why they are selling like hot cake? ;)

I know the whole 'more cores' can be hard to grasp but with the comming 1-2 year you will see a shift for multicore utilization pushed by ryzenplatform on consoles, dx12 vulkan. Comparing the purcase of a new ryzen CPU to the used price is not and argument as it can be used against ANY new CPU. (my 4770K for instance decimates 7700K in cost/performance if we take mine used and 7700K as a new CPU. And trust me; the stock did not go up 639% for fun last year. It is possible that you and your friends dont attribute any progress to what is happening with AMD, but they are strong-arming intel to complete and utter panic (partly intel own fault) right now AMD can spit out CPUs cheaper than intel can. And everything in intel lineup have undergone pricedrops. 7700K cost 66% lower compare to before ryzen (eventhough 4770,4790,6700 did not move on inch during their complete cycle.) Do you think intel have decided to drop prices because they just love their customers? :D You gotta read up on alot of stuff if you dont wanna get battered on the forum :)
Not that I disagree with you, but last year AMD's stock went up because they signed some contracts to supply GPUs for deep learning and such. Same for Nvidia. Nothing to do with Ryzen/Threadripper/Epyc.

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
Not that I disagree with you, but last year AMD's stock went up because they signed some contracts to supply GPUs for deep learning and such. Same for Nvidia. Nothing to do with Ryzen/Threadripper/Epyc.

It was more less the CPU division that was the cause (I checked to stock everyday since i owned it) (bought it at 2,3$ and sold it at 14,5$ 3-4 months ago. )The AMD kept optimizing their business and centering their focus WAY more than the years before. They got the deal with the chinese goverment, CERN, consoles and so on. The chinese one resulted in a temporary 60% increase landing on about 51% as far as i remember. (biggest jump for the stock in its history) Their GPU involvement is not the solve cause for sure but i remember the agreements pushing it 10% a few times. Ryzen information kept the price rising up to the launch. If you ask me the next or the quarterly will push AMDs market share up resulting in the stock going up. :)